Old June 24, 2002, 15:46   #91
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 20:14
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Glad you are going back. I hope I was not one of those guys. I view creative as just another option. It is good to play some with out it thought, but all picks are valid. Well maybe not Feudal, sorry I am not fond of it, very tough. I think I would rather take uncreative. Hum, I need to try that one too.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2002, 15:51   #92
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Local Time: 19:14
Uhhh errr uhmmm, you were. No biggie, different perspective you know. In fact, I liked creative and +1 research.

To get to 100% I'd choose large planet and -1 ground combat.

You guys had me trying things like ?charming (not-repulsive), artifacts world, sub-teranean, and others. Got me out of a rut.
Old June 24, 2002, 17:22   #93
vmxa1
Deity

Yeah, Charismatic, not one of my favs. SubT is useful if you want to grow big or get a high score. I would not pick it myself except as a test. The reason is that you can get the effect by capturing the sakkras and sent one of their people to your planet, why waste the picks? Plus for research or production are always good. Negative picks that are not too painful: -ground combat, -ship attack, -spying and one I am coming to like a lot is repulsive. I am not real fond of -spying, I used to take it all the time, but it is rough if you do not have creative. If telepathic, -gc is a freebie. Ship attack is ok by me as you will just build better ships and fight better anyway. I rarely pick it though. Whoops forgot low G. This was an automatic pick for me in the past. I am moving away from it now as that -25% is very debilitating at the start. Grav gen is a long way off in Prewarp and lots of planets are with out lowg. Others are really killers such as feudal and poor HW. I put these thoughts out to see if anyone has a different or even a better perspective. I know I have learn a lot about the game since I tried all of the races others mention and went to impossible level. I would not have learned as much if I stuck to my creative race, but will keep it as on of my favs. Non creative has given me insight to how some of the tech works, when you have to be careful about what you research, it makes you think. That is not the same as saying they are better or more fun. Also many people are talking about Mp games and tha is a different way to play with different requirements (not better, just different). In fact I could make a case that MP is an inferior game. since most use basically the same races, if all understand the game, it comes down to luck of he draw or a mistake. Anyway it is about having fun, however you like it.
Old June 25, 2002, 02:30   #94
genius23
Settler

Local Time: 01:14
Local Date: November 1, 2010
if i had to pick a negtive i'd go for -50 pop growth, in the beginning it is easily overcome first by building housing colonies on some otherwise unattractive planets in ur system with one pop each or later with cloning center or much later with androids also -0.5BC doesnt hurt much either.
i decided never to play multiplayer again since an attack on one of my systems left a stalemate of 2 empty frigates behind and instead of retreating the enemy decided to stay around and wait out the whole 200(?) turns. that was at a time when i was charged for my internetconnection per minute.
genius23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2002, 09:07   #95
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

I don't know about that. -0.5 $ always kills me (However, if I leave it alone, I'm always cash rich)....I don't get those early megawealth guys if I pick it for some reason???

-50% pop is another one that I've not considered...especially since I've been picking subterr. Need as much pop as I can get with that pick...cuz the shakkas aren't always close by.

I think I am going to try

creative
repulsive -- although no good leaders??
telepathic
-gc

and whatever else to get 100%
Old June 25, 2002, 11:43   #96
vmxa1
Deity

I have managed to get leaders with Repulsive. Often I rescue one, even two on an occasion.
I guess I can not really address -growth or money as I have never used them. I can only say, that most claim they are very hard to over come, but of course all picks can be tolerated, just some hurt more than others. Money would be one I would avoid, I always need money until the game is in hand. Repulsive is an easy one to use as it reallly cost nothing. You still get leaders, the AI will hate you anyway at the highest levels. Combat is the easiest of all.
Old June 25, 2002, 13:36   #97
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

let me see, correct me if I'm wrong

creative +8
repulsive -5
telepathic +6?
- gc -3
science+1 +3
large (or rich) home world +1

Does this sound right?
Old June 25, 2002, 13:43   #98
vmxa1
Deity

Yes, but repulsice is -6, ricjh is +2 and ground is -2, I forget +sci, I think that you have it right.
Old June 26, 2002, 15:49   #99
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

okay,

creative +8
repulsive -6
telepathic +6
- gc -2
science+1 +3
large home world +1

So repulsive and telpathic and a net sum zero...cool...Now if I can stop playing Dues Ex which by the way is way cool.
Old June 26, 2002, 16:00   #100
Garth Vader
King

Local Time: 18:14
Repulsive is an easy one to use as it reallly cost nothing.

I have tried that, but I depend too much on trade deals and peace in the early game.

I have found that peace is possible even on impossible, at least for a while.
Old June 26, 2002, 16:28   #101
vmxa1
Deity

Funny thing is that the longest peace I ever encounter was as repulsive. I do not have trade unless I am chrimatic, they just do not seem to offer it. In fact most of my games, I have not even been able to offer a gift, if when not repulsive. My lack of use for trade stems from Moo. In that game they stick with a trade until it goes positive for me. Then they soon get upset and declare war. I suspect just to get out of the trade. So I just never used it much.
I can't play 3D games due to motion sickness and it kills me.
Old June 26, 2002, 16:45   #102
Garth Vader
King

they just do not seem to offer it

I always offer trade and research deals whenever I meet an AI.

Sometimes they break it just when it becomes profitable, but if you have deals with everybody you are bound to be making money somewhere.
Old June 26, 2002, 16:48   #103
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Ah yes, as well why I've avoided repulsive. I like those early trade deals, but they soon go sour anyhow. I've always manged to keep one ally for a while. It is money in the meantime, but does it pay -6 worth of something else...hmmmm.

Vmxa1, I feel your pain...no literally. Something about my posture when I play gives me a very sore neck. Something to do with having to lean forward over the keyboard and hold onto the mouse at the same time. I can usually only go every other night. And I always end up playing twice as long as I intended.

Mr 10 o'clock has pulled two midnights this week. 5:30 comes way too early and, as you know, we are not as young.....
Old June 26, 2002, 16:50   #104
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Garth Vader
I always offer trade and research deals whenever I meet an AI.

Sometimes they break it just when it becomes profitable, but if you have deals with everybody you are bound to be making money somewhere.
I do too, they are more receptive if you trade some research with them first. Else I wait until I've got a few things and try again. Some races never want to talk, some a friendly all the time. Sometimes they are totally opposite of what you are used to.
Old June 26, 2002, 18:51   #105
vmxa1
Deity

I have ben trying to make trades lately, but as I mentioned, when I select audience I frequently see only goodbye, declare war or surrender. I have games where that is the case for all races,sigh.....
Old June 27, 2002, 09:12   #106
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

That will always happen if you or the other race is repulsive. Also can happen if the other race's opinion of you is poor upon meeting you.

I've even had some races declare war, get thier butt kicked, then decide they want to be my friend.
Old June 27, 2002, 10:36   #107
Garth Vader
King

All the races are repulsive? Man that sucks.
Old June 27, 2002, 12:29   #108
vmxa1
Deity

I have had this happen when I was not repulsive as well. It really stinks, since you can not even demand they stop spying. Sometimes they will come along and offer some interaction. Sometimes they say something about they no longer think I am scum, but I still can not get any diplomatic action?
Old June 27, 2002, 14:55   #109
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Hmmm....In those instances were you strong from a fleet point of view?
Old June 27, 2002, 15:33   #110
vmxa1
Deity

Often I was weak at that time. When contact is first made, I will have only a scout or maybe one missile ship. Unless of course it is an adv tech game (seldom any more). I tend to wait until contact to gear up, unless I can make a ship 15 or less turns. IOW, I do not start building if it is a 28 or more turn venture, I figure I am better off doing something else. That may be a short coming.
Old June 27, 2002, 15:56   #111
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

I think that very much like Civ3, the ai reacts to your strength. What is perceives as strength in Moo2 is still a mystery to me, but number and size of ships has something to do with it, if not all of it. Therefore CP_used=strength?

I've noticed this as well. If I've got no fleet, or a real small one, I'm easy pickin's for the AI. However, if I am strong, the are really nice to me.
Old June 27, 2002, 18:08   #112
vmxa1
Deity

True, but I am not able to be strong at first contact. Maybe in a Huge universe, but in large or less, no way.
Old June 28, 2002, 09:28   #113
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

It is relative strength, all ships count, even transports. Yet you and Garth prolly play impossible, I'm still stuck on hard (and for a break ave, but I always win on Ave).
Old June 28, 2002, 11:13   #114
vmxa1
Deity

Again what you say is true, but I will not make transports unless I am attacking for capture and not even then if I am telepathic. By that time I am making capitol ships.
Old June 28, 2002, 13:51   #115
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Maybe cuz I make some cheap missle boats early to skirmish??
Old June 28, 2002, 14:07   #116
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 01:14
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Press hulls. A BB hull - empty outfit, no stuff or weapons whatsoever - can be produced in a few turns and the AI suddenly thinks you're HUGE.
Old June 28, 2002, 15:05   #117
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

wow, sounds like my early worker rush strategy in Civ3
Old June 28, 2002, 16:57   #118
vmxa1
Deity

That could be a tactic. I do not make ship or hulls or anything until forced to for the simple reason that it is a zero sum game. If I take resources and use them for ship, they are not used to increase my tech or production and that will retard my growth. So the longer I get away with build the faster I can get down the road. The trick is to not wait to long and I have misstepped at impossible more than once. This of course puts me in a big hole vs the AI. At hard, it is not a concern, but at impossible I may not be able to climb out. What I want to figure out is if I may be better served by going another way. Right now I am experimenting with minor variables such as lessor racial trait and when to take what tech, to see if that matters or not. By lessor traits, I mean other than on the right or the type of gov.
Old June 28, 2002, 18:16   #119
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Hey, let us know what you're doing, cuz hey! I'm interested.
Old June 28, 2002, 18:34   #120
vmxa1
Deity

I built a BB using the save gam that GV provided at around t100. Empty it was about 87 turns to make with 3 workers. This race of course has no prod bonus and none from the HW, coupled with the adv tech the empty BB is a lot more expensive than normal. Having said that I wonder how easily I could make them before t150 anyway. After that I will soon be making real ones.