Old May 7, 2002, 18:27   #31
Grrr
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 13:15
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Thanks Catt. My fears have been found to be unfounded.
Old May 7, 2002, 18:34   #32
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 17:15
Game has been interesting for a number of reasons (some debunking of common myths / misperceptions). For example:

1. There has been limited use of nukes. The AI was the first to use them AND used them against other AI, not the human (don't know if it was France, Persia or Russia that used them first).

2. Despite the use of nukes, global warming has not become so intolerable as to cause me to quit the game in frustration.

3. The AI has been using paratroopers in airdrops. However, except for once or twice earlier in the game, its recent uses have been very inefficient (stupid!) -- airdropping just OUTSIDE my territory near Khorsabad, even though AI's territory there is RR'd (play a few turns and you will probably see the airdrop near Khorsabad). Nice to see the chute open though!

BTW, DrJambo, will you post a jpg of your shorts-eating event?

Catt
Old May 7, 2002, 18:59   #33
ALPHA WOLF 64
Prince

Local Time: 18:15
you saw dropped paratroopers?? YEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Old May 7, 2002, 19:04   #34
Grrr
King

It seems to have debunked another thought of mine, that the game ends in 2020.
Old May 7, 2002, 19:12   #35
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Yes, airdropped paratroopers. In my mod I have slightly increased the strength (and cost) of both marines and paratroopers (although I have seen them used by the AI in several earlier, unmodded games).

What really got my attention was that the first two times I saw the paratroopers used, they were used INTELLIGENTLY -- dropping behind my lines on or close to luxury resource! Still seeing the occassional airdrop now, but without intellignet strategy. Seriously, if you load the game and play a few turns, I bet you will see Joan airdrop a pt or two near Khorsabad (don't lanuch an offensive in that area for a few turns and you should see the pts coming along with the nice little note "French paratroopers have landed near Khorsabad!"

Mod also has helos with a 4 unit capacity, but still have not seen the AI use the helos this game.

Catt

Old May 7, 2002, 19:50   #36
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

2050 Grrr!!
Old May 7, 2002, 20:08   #37
Redstar
Warlord

Local Time: 00:15
Local Date: November 1, 2010
just captured a city...mazingly there was a factory still there.

so there you go absolute proof aginst the notion that the AI NEVER builds factories.
Old May 7, 2002, 20:25   #38
Grrr
King

Oops. It shows that I haven't played a game through to the end.
Old May 7, 2002, 20:58   #39
Captain
King

Local Time: 19:15
besides all the points mentioned above, don't forget that the ai puts mines everywhere, so it often doesn't really need to build factories.

btw, Grrr, not making a statement about your current avatar, but I miss Dommel. he's cool. (I can't wait to get my own avatar either)
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
Old May 7, 2002, 20:59   #40
Tuberski

Local Time: 19:15
Quote:
Originally posted by Captain
besides all the points mentioned above, don't forget that the ai puts mines everywhere, so it often doesn't really need to build factories.

btw, Grrr, not making a statement about your current avatar, but I miss Dommel. he's cool. (I can't wait to get my own avatar either)
The AI doesn't put nearly as mine mines down as I do. They always seem to irrigate in my games.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old May 8, 2002, 00:54   #41
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Some cities a civ will mine all over, other cities of the same civ might irrigate all over. I'm in a 1.17 game where Xerxes is irrigating only at a city that has just plains. It's already 18 population and the food surplus is a dozen or so! I would have slowed growth to 1-or-2 surplus and mined the rest. Obviously Xerxes doesn't have the same priorities as I have. No factory in this city either, though he does in other cities. Building a bomber @ 12 shields/turn in that city.

Persia went communist awhile back while in a prolonged extermination mission against Zululand and England. Finished them off a couple turns ago and hasn't switched back yet; 1/4 corruption & waste (even in Persopolis, of course). Huge map, large continents.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old May 8, 2002, 04:38   #42
=DrJambo=
Prince

Local Time: 00:15
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Well i am glad to see that the AI does, under certain rare circumstances, build factories, etc. Sometimes i still feel that it isn't often enough as i can't find one in my game and some of the AI civs are as advanced as Flight.

STILL, i'll go eat my shorts as promised... anyone any Tommy K?
Old May 8, 2002, 04:41   #43
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Pictures!