Old May 8, 2002, 14:12   #1
Rhuarc
BtS Tri-League
Prince

Local Time: 19:21
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Regicide?
What exactly is regicide, and how do they make a game of Civ3 out of it?
Old May 8, 2002, 15:22   #2
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 03:21
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I bet similar to capture the flag, but having not to occupy and hold a square, instead you got to kill a specific enemy unit.
Old May 8, 2002, 15:47   #3
Cookie Monster
King

Well if regicide in Civ3 is similar to AoKs' regicide it would mean killing a king or leader unit. Just a guess though.
Old May 8, 2002, 15:47   #4
centrifuge
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 17:21
From Regiside, I'd assume that they mean killing of the King. So in the Civ 3 version, I'm willing to bet that the first Civ to capture the others capital wins. Then again Solver has a good point that it may the killing of a specific unit that is designated as being the King.
Old May 8, 2002, 16:40   #5
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 02:21
Some kind of CTP2 then? I remember from the dream time() in the beginning of my time here at Apolyton, that there was a scenario where you lost if you had one specific unit killed. On the other hand, that was the opposite way: you controlled the unit.
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old May 8, 2002, 16:48   #6
Boracks
Warlord

Local Time: 20:21

Maybe each side will start with a leader that is the 'king'. If that leader dies, you lose.

I would assume that special rules would apply (no rush building wonders, you may not be able to build non-leader armies, etc.).
Old May 8, 2002, 18:23   #7
Carver
Prince

Local Time: 18:21
I think it would be more fun if in Regicide the key unit isn't a King or the capital, but something more mystical. Maybe it would be an emmissary from God, an oracle, something used to communicate with the ancients. (okay, I may be going off the deep end here but I am excited as hell about the XP) Something that guides your people from the begining to eternity and without which, your civilization collapses.
Old May 8, 2002, 22:43   #8
Rhuarc
BtS Tri-League
Prince

I kind of like the sound of it being a particular unit, because then it wouldn't be about just attacking, but you would have to heavily defend your own unit as well!
Old May 9, 2002, 10:28   #9
Andrew_Jay
Prince

Local Time: 20:51
I hope there is a new unit for the king/prophet whatever, like that fat, fast guy in AoK. Man could he go
Old May 9, 2002, 15:32   #10
Grrr
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 13:21
Actually, this shows once again that good scenario build options seem to become available. For instance WWII scenario - kill hitler.
Old May 9, 2002, 15:57   #11
Cookie Monster
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Grrr
Actually, this shows once again that good scenario build options seem to become available. For instance WWII scenario - kill hitler.
Good point!
Old May 9, 2002, 16:28   #12
Miznia
Warlord

Quote:
For instance WWII scenario - kill hitler
SWEET. You could then do all sorts of stuff. Hitler's goal could be to kill the Lincoln or Stalin unit. Easy way to get all their cities, particularly if Bombers (or even boats!) get lethal bombardment! Lincoln will have to hide in Colorado!
Old May 10, 2002, 07:01   #13
Jethro83
Prince

Local Time: 10:21
Regicide is an excellent idea. But the question remains... what happens to their empire when you kill their "king" unit, and there's still other rival civs to contend with?
Old May 10, 2002, 07:14   #14
Cookie Monster
King

Quote:
Originally posted by LordAzreal
Regicide is an excellent idea. But the question remains... what happens to their empire when you kill their "king" unit, and there's still other rival civs to contend with?
Good question. Maybe their cities just autoraze? It would seem like a huge advantage to have all their cities suddenly come under your control. That would speed up MP play but I predict many people will simply drop out of the game if they see someone suddenly become too powerful. I have yet to play a game of CtP online where everyone sticks it out to the bitter end even if they are losing. It seems most people can't handle losing and just drop out. One or two less players in a MP session and the game quickly becomes boring.
Old May 10, 2002, 08:37   #15
Jethro83
Prince

I was thinking that the remnants of the dead "king's" empire should be divided between the player who killed the king, and about two or three close neighbours to the dead empire. If it were more like Civ II, where barbarians can control cities, maybe make it so that other parts of their empire end up under barbarian control.
Old May 10, 2002, 11:32   #16
Cookie Monster
King

Yes, splitting up the remnants of the empire between the killer and a few neighbors would be fair.
Old May 10, 2002, 13:06   #17
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 03:21
When I remember that small guy running like a sh*t off the stick in AoK... heh... could we get the King in Civ 3 look like Sid?
Old May 10, 2002, 16:56   #18
Grrr
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 13:21
The guy looking like Sid? I know where my nukes are pointed.

Wait. A nuke has infinite range, so wouldn't you just be able to nuke the sh!t out of him.
Old May 10, 2002, 18:52   #19
Andrew_Jay
Prince

Local Time: 20:51
Good question about nukes, but I guess the challenge is to do the killing a LOT earlier than that, and even in the modern age with nukes you'll still need to see the king.
Also, about the kingdom of the slain king, perhaps that kingdom loses all of its culture and ability to resist assimilation, the cities are assimiliated easily by the neighbours based on their culture.
Old May 11, 2002, 17:00   #20
TheBigTurkey
Settler

Local Time: 16:21
Quote:
IMO, the game should be over after the first dead king. Otherwise, it would take forever, and the point of adding this is to eliminate that possibility. Also you should be able to start at an Age (Ancient, Middle, etc.) so that modern weapons can be used.
Old May 11, 2002, 17:34   #21
Carver
Prince

What if, upon killing the King (if the key unit is a King), the entire enemy civ joins yours? That could make focused, high intesisty battles the key to whole game. Imagine not having to tediously take every city, which on a huge map can take forever. You just go to the city where the King is, and its your whole army against their whole army. Or maybe all the cities would join others civs (including yours) depending on culture and proximity. I would like it either way.

As for the nukes, "fortunately" civ3 nukes don't kill everyone, so the King survives in his nuclear bunker (as if any bunker is going to save you from a 300 megaton thermonuclear warhead ).
Old May 11, 2002, 18:30   #22
Adm.Naismith
King

Local Time: 01:21
Quote:
Originally posted by Haupt. Dietrich
Yes, splitting up the remnants of the empire between the killer and a few neighbors would be fair.
I too agree. Culture can play a role as splitting guide, but mostly the concept should be that the rule will help more others Civ than the Civ who committ regicide if the cities are well maintained (high culture, few revolts).
It seems realistic to me that a Civ with strong culture and a good lifestyle will resist against the civ who committed regicide (joining others Civ), while on the opposite, if Cities are revolting all around and are bad mantained they would be ready to join the attacker (as a liberator)
"We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
- Admiral Naismith
Old May 11, 2002, 19:08   #23
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Admiral Naismith, a quick, of topic word for you: _Diplomatic Immunity_ is out. Naismith is - kinda - back!
Old May 13, 2002, 08:39   #24
Adm.Naismith
King

Quote:
Originally posted by moominparatrooper
Admiral Naismith, a quick, off topic word for you: _Diplomatic Immunity_ is out. Naismith is - kinda - back!
Thanks, I know I'm back! Don't tell about Ekaterine to my real wife, please... - Well, more off-topic about Naismith/Mc Master Bujold by a Private Mail in a few minute.
"We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
- Admiral Naismith
Old May 13, 2002, 14:15   #25
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Grrr
The guy looking like Sid? I know where my nukes are pointed.

Wait. A nuke has infinite range, so wouldn't you just be able to nuke the sh!t out of him.
hi ,

not the tactical ones , .......

have a nice day
Old May 13, 2002, 18:56   #26
Jethro83
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by panag
hi ,

not the tactical ones , .......

have a nice day
True, but who the hell would want tactical nukes when ICBMs are available? I've never built any tactical nukes, because by the time I've built the Manhattan Project, I'm ready to build ICBMs.
Old May 13, 2002, 22:22   #27
Nostromo
Emperor

Local Time: 20:21
Quote:
Originally posted by Carver
I think it would be more fun if in Regicide the key unit isn't a King or the capital, but something more mystical. Maybe it would be an emmissary from God, an oracle, something used to communicate with the ancients. (okay, I may be going off the deep end here but I am excited as hell about the XP) Something that guides your people from the begining to eternity and without which, your civilization collapses.
How about a "get Jesus" game? Or, my personal favorite, a "get Ron Hubbard" game?
Old May 13, 2002, 22:50   #28
Jethro83
Prince

The "king" unit should be able to be fully customisable. In the same way you can get skins for Quake, you should be able to get your own "skins" for your Civ III "king" unit. That way, you could play a "Get Jesus", or "Get Ron Hubbard" game, or any other type of game. And I'd love to be able to make my king look like whatever I want (Goku for example).
Old May 13, 2002, 23:36   #29
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:

True, but who the hell would want tactical nukes when ICBMs are available? I've never built any tactical nukes, because by the time I've built the Manhattan Project, I'm ready to build ICBMs.
hi ,

tactical nukes are , ...."tactical", ..... , .....the have les pollution and they allow a greater "control" , .......also if you use them , the risk of the terrain change is less , ..... , ......

have a nice day
Old May 14, 2002, 09:02   #30
Miznia
Warlord

I got it: the "King" unit should look like the actual leader! So it would be more like a "Joan of Arc" unit or a "Mao" unit. After all, without them a civ would be doomed. They would have no one to present in negotiations.