Old May 8, 2002, 14:52   #1
miike
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:21
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Another question about going to war.
I play civ3 and I am very peaceful. After the land grab I try to get all the wonders and try to build my cities up as big as I can. I am playing one game, where everyone is pretty much the same size. For no reason, my neighbors to the west attack me. I take 2-3 of their cities and ask for peace. 2-3 of their cities is no big deal, but I took a small piece of their land. Then the neighbor on the east attacks me. I do the same thing. For the rest of the game, I am attacked by my neighbors, and each time, I get bigger and bigger. Towards the end of the game, I am the biggest civ by far. Anyways, I am still minding my business, and other civs still atack me over and over again. How is it, that when this game came out, one of the designers said that anyone that was a warmonger could not complete the game. Meanwhile, that is all the computer ever does. I occupy more land, have a bigger military, more technologically advanced, and have bothered no one. I do not even cross their lands. I do not commit atrocities, and have decent culture rating. Meanwhile, the computer takes turns attacking me, and rarely attacks one another.
Old May 8, 2002, 15:34   #2
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 17:21
Local Date: October 31, 2010
It happens that way sometimes, though your next game they may leave you completely alone (or not). Are your neighbors the 'aggressive' type (prime example: Persia!)?

Otherwise, it could just be the pressures of overcrowding. Peoples trying to acquire more living space. Or maybe they're just fearing how big you are!
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old May 8, 2002, 15:43   #3
Cookie Monster
King

Local Time: 19:21
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I first wondered too as to why Civ3 was more warlike despite being the opposite being advertised.

What it boils down to is the AI knows it's losing and will try to take down the most dominant civ, in this case yours. One way to take down a dominant civ is to take away some of their land. Hence the wars you must endure.

My best advice, even if you are a peaceful builder, is to start an occaisonal war now and then. The goal should not be to conquer a civ, unless they have only 3-4 cities, but to weaken the others while steadily building up your strength. You will need to do this because the AI will eventually gang up on you one way or the other towards the end of the game to prevent you from winning.

Good luck
Old May 8, 2002, 16:32   #4
zulu9812
King

I hate that ganging up bit - that happened to me in my first game. I got really pissed off. It's totally unfair.
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old May 9, 2002, 06:18   #5
Flanker
Warlord

Local Time: 01:21
Actually, I like the giant world war that always break out in the end of my games, no matter how peaceful I am. By then I have a big military, but my opponents are not that far after, and together they could actually pose a threat (I play on Monarch). When one starts to attack you, you know it´s end of the peaceful days, because then the other ones are quick to fall behind. Right now I have a world war against all other civs but one, and I´ll have to max out my military power (which is really huge though) and stand against the other civs. I can also tell that it sure is hard to conquer another civ with ten 30+ cities with at least five mech infs in each city, no matter how much stealth bombers and tanks you have...
Old May 9, 2002, 06:19   #6
I-iZ-1337
Chieftain

If u iz 1337 u shud b ok wiv war, war iz the way t00 go d00d.
Old May 9, 2002, 08:22   #7
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 02:21
Re: Another question about going to war.
Quote:
Originally posted by miike
I play civ3 and I am very peaceful. After the land grab I try to get all the wonders and try to build my cities up as big as I can. I am playing one game, where everyone is pretty much the same size. For no reason, my neighbors to the west attack me. I take 2-3 of their cities and ask for peace. 2-3 of their cities is no big deal, but I took a small piece of their land. Then the neighbor on the east attacks me. I do the same thing. For the rest of the game, I am attacked by my neighbors, and each time, I get bigger and bigger. Towards the end of the game, I am the biggest civ by far. Anyways, I am still minding my business, and other civs still atack me over and over again. How is it, that when this game came out, one of the designers said that anyone that was a warmonger could not complete the game. Meanwhile, that is all the computer ever does. I occupy more land, have a bigger military, more technologically advanced, and have bothered no one. I do not even cross their lands. I do not commit atrocities, and have decent culture rating. Meanwhile, the computer takes turns attacking me, and rarely attacks one another.
hi ,

maybe your power is aint big enough , meaning , army's , nuke's and more of that stuff , ..

have a nice day