View Poll Results: What's your reaction to the newly announced "expansion" features?
WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! New stuff! 32 51.61%
I'm not paying $40 for a patch full of features that should've been there before 9 14.52%
I don't care, all I wanted was [multiplayer/scenarios/other key feature] and the rest can go in the garbage 1 1.61%
They really should've pushed back the release in order to put in some of the features such as bombard and airfields, and then had an ACTUAL expansion pack with the new civs 6 9.68%
Better late than never. 14 22.58%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 8, 2002, 15:05   #1
Random Passerby
Warlord

Local Time: 00:21
Local Date: November 1, 2010
A dilemma
Given the magnitude of the changes announced for the expansion pack so far, there can really be no doubt that the expansion is, in fact, nothing short of "Civ3: full version." The new civs, the unit packs, those are definite expansion material. The multiplayer modes? OK, I can buy that as an "expansion" rather than "commercially marketed patch." Some of the gameplay features added, however, definitely move this out of the realm of expansion packs and into outright upgrades.

Now, on the one hand, this means that the expansion will include far more than most people had hoped, which is probably a good thing (even if it does mean that it's almost definitely going to be in the full $30-$40 range, at the minimum, although I have seen full single games with shelf prices going up to $70 on ocassion and in this case that IS charging for twice as much packaging.)

On the other hand, however, this basically amounts to an admittal by Firaxis/Infogrames that the Civ3 originally marketed was essentially a pay-for beta.

This poses somewhat of a dilemma, because I'm not sure whether I should be thankful for the extra functionality or irritated that they've given up the pretense of having delivered a product in its final (if shoddy) state.
Old May 8, 2002, 15:20   #2
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 21:21
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Better late than never. One day they will be punished for this.
Old May 8, 2002, 15:50   #3
Cookie Monster
King

Local Time: 19:21
I'm getting a little anxious to see how the XP will play out. I'm not gonna buy it right away. Rather I'll wait until I've read a couple of official reviews as well as listen to what the Poly'ers are saying.
Old May 8, 2002, 15:55   #4
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 17:21
Wheee, new stuff -- AGAIN!
This game keeps on changing so fast. Accompanied by my playing such long games, I can't even get a single game completed before a new version comes out.

I wish they hadn't done the press release, actually. Should'a treated it like they do the patches and made it a SURPRISE Release.

(I must be really weary today).
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old May 8, 2002, 18:30   #5
Carver
Prince

Local Time: 18:21
WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE NEW STUFF

v1.21 fixed the problems with the game and made 4x gameplay fun again. Civ3 is complete (almost). Now I want the gravy.
Old May 8, 2002, 18:44   #6
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I dunno. Maybe the editor in a patch would have done more for PR with the fanatic community. It looks like the summer is goin' be a long, hot one.

Personally... Wheeeeeeeee.
Old May 8, 2002, 19:33   #7
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i know no matter what i believe i'm going to buy the XP the day before it comes out, and i'll be playing MP for a week straight with my friends soon thereafter.

funny how a soul-less cooperation gets us all to sell our souls... wonder where they keep them. perhaps sid feeds on them to maintain the girth.

Last edited by Inverse Icarus; May 8, 2002 at 19:44.
Old May 8, 2002, 19:57   #8
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
i know no matter what i believe i'm going to buy the XP the day before it comes out, and i'll be playing MP for a week straight with my friends soon thereafter.

funny how a soul-less cooperation gets us all to sell our souls... wonder where they keep them. perhaps sid feeds on them to maintain the girth.
Sid can sense your weakness, UberKrux
Old May 8, 2002, 21:15   #9
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

Local Time: 20:21
better late than never... maybe ill actually start playing the game i payed $60 for when i download the expansion pack off of kazaa...

erm.. whoops, did i just say that out loud
Old May 8, 2002, 21:53   #10
Thrawn05
King

$40?!?

No way. I'll wait. I don't care if I have to get it via Jewel Case only.
Old May 8, 2002, 22:05   #11
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 17:21
I've been dieing to get my hands on the MP version but I can't help feeling cheated by paying twice for a feature that was originally adverticed as being in the first release.
Old May 8, 2002, 23:50   #12
Swissy
Civilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMRise of Nations MultiplayerIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerBtS Tri-League

Everything but the extra terrain modules should have been included in the initial release. And the terrain modules should have been a free download.

I expect that Civ4 will take two X-Packs to be a complete game. Infogrammes just found a new profit center and we should now expect all their games to be released in increments so that they can hit us up 2-4 times to get the whole game.
Old May 9, 2002, 00:32   #13
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 02:21
If you asked me this question 8 months ago, short before the release of Civ3, I'd say "they should wait to release the complete game". It was a sure thing to me that the game would be rushed / incomplete (I was surprised by the lack of fixed starting positions though).
But I got the game, and I truly liked it these last 6 months. I played Civ3 as much as some other favorites games of mine (Diablo2, Final Fantasies). So I was wrong to want them delay the game. Civ3 first implementation is really solid in terms of SP without scenarios. Civ3XP will expand the single-scenarioless experience.
So I voted wheeeee !
Old May 9, 2002, 07:04   #14
Cesa
Chieftain

Local Time: 01:21
Quote:
Originally posted by Carver
WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE NEW STUFF

v1.21 fixed the problems with the game and made 4x gameplay fun again. Civ3 is complete (almost). Now I want the gravy.
Exactly my feelings, but I guess people will start calling us 'fanboys' and saying our opinions doesn't count

Comeon ppl, perhaps civ3 didn't live up to your expectations, but it's more entertainment for a longer period of time than most games, right? It certainly has been for me!

And I will never understand why people who doesn't like a game spends as much time in the civ3 forums as some people do...
Old May 9, 2002, 08:30   #15
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

even the no-sayers shall buy the XP , its just to much an addiction , ....

have a nice day
Old May 9, 2002, 09:50   #16
Adm.Naismith
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Cesa
Exactly my feelings, but I guess people will start calling us 'fanboys' and saying our opinions doesn't count
You are 'fanboys' but democratic Apolyton policy is "one man, one vote" AFAIK, so your opinion count for me.

Quote:
And I will never understand why people who doesn't like a game spends as much time in the civ3 forums as some people do...
You know, when long time lovers left each others, often one of them go back and around the ex-lover in:
- hopes of a change of mind (XP, main patches, great MOD, RoN)
- ranting about old times and great memories or suggesting "they are still good friends"

Usually they aren't dangerous, so while calling the Police is still an option (a strong, bad one, sometimes), patience and times are better medicine.

After the XP release many of us "ex Civ lovers" will left forever or will revamp their love in passion.
May be some of the current 'fanboys' will see the game on a different point of view and become angry "ex-lovers" too.

If a gorgeous, dark lady who force you to spend most of your nights awake, had broken many hearts, imagine what can do the last sister of a triplet (or should it be the last clone of two?)
"We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
- Admiral Naismith
Old May 9, 2002, 15:28   #17
Jawa Jocky
Prince

Local Time: 16:21
I'll buy it so I can look forward to getting patches to fix it
Old May 9, 2002, 15:46   #18
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Jawa Jocky
I'll buy it so I can look forward to getting patches to fix it
hi ,

ya wanna bet the last one shall be with X-mas , ....

have a nice day
Old May 9, 2002, 17:21   #19
Zoid
inmate
C4DG The HordeCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG Southern Cross

30-40$ is a ****ing outrage for features that should´ve been included in the original game. Firaxis ****ed in the ass one time allready, now they´re coming back for seconds. DON´T LET THEM!

Thank god for KaZaa...
Old May 9, 2002, 17:23   #20
Zoid
inmate
C4DG The HordeCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG Southern Cross

Quote:
Originally posted by Cesa

Comeon ppl, perhaps civ3 didn't live up to your expectations, but it's more entertainment for a longer period of time than most games, right? It certainly has been for me!

Come on, Cesa. You´re way to gullible. Can´t you see we´re being ****ed in the ass by Firaxis (again!!) ?
Old May 9, 2002, 17:32   #21
Panag
Emperor

hi ,

so , PTW by the end of the year , then the patches , so 365 days or so , before it shall be "done" , ...

one could always wait 730 days for civ 4 , ....
and an other full year before that one runs okay , ....

have a nice day
Old May 9, 2002, 17:52   #22
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by Kamrat X

Come on, Cesa. You´re way to gullible. Can´t you see we´re being ****ed in the ass by Firaxis (again!!) ?
No, that only happens if you buy the XP. I haven't seen enough features of it to warrant any amount of money.

I do, however, like the game as it stands currently.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old May 9, 2002, 18:10   #23
Zoid
inmate

I do as well, but I wish some of the features and civs in the XP was included in the original game. But I´m not willing to pay 30-40$ to get them, this is where the ass**** comes in...
Old May 9, 2002, 18:42   #24
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by Kamrat X
I do as well, but I wish some of the features and civs in the XP was included in the original game. But I´m not willing to pay 30-40$ to get them, this is where the ass**** comes in...
I agree, they would have to add Quite a bit more than I have seen for me to fork over more money.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old May 9, 2002, 19:06   #25
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Some people will buy it. Some people will dl it. To each their own.

What will really count is how much the game is improved by it.
Old May 9, 2002, 21:34   #26
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
Some people will buy it. Some people will dl it. To each their own.

What will really count is how much the game is improved by it.
Yes, agreed. I'll personaly wait for you to point any and all bugs before I decide to buy.
Old May 10, 2002, 00:37   #27
Grrr
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 13:21
I think I'll have Civ III gold (the color of the CD) .
Old May 10, 2002, 10:27   #28
Panag
Emperor

hi ,

would it not correct to say that when civ3 was lauched firaxis and Sid had no idea what they had done , it was like a new world , the original idea was 8 civ , now there are 16 and they are thinking about more , .....

at least they adapt to the situation , ...

most games get one patch , if they even get one , ...
so far they have done a good job , and when it shall be finished , it shall be the top , ...

if there is someone to blame then its infogrames , point , they are the reason we get what we have today , .......

Sid and most people with firaxis have a dream , a dream that is going to go where no one would have thought about , ...

at the same time the whole gaming industry is up-side , down-side , ..........for what we see today is only the little top of the mountain , ....

so , have a nice day