Old May 8, 2002, 16:09   #1
Deornwulf
Warlord

Local Time: 00:21
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Improvements yet to be made to CivIII
These are the improvements that I, as the customer, would like to see made to the game.

1) More Buildings - Be it more Small Wonders, Great Wonders, culture only buildings, or location specific buildings, I would like to have some new choices of what to build in my cities beyond the basic rehashed buildings from Civ2. One rationale would be that there are happiness specific buildings, economic specific buildings, industry specific buildings, but no culture specific buildings.

2) More complex diplomatic model - Alliances should count for something beyond combat. There should be better opportunities for trade and even closer relationships. An alliance should have a leader capable of negotiating peace for the entire alliance....or at least be required to all reach peace at the same time or no one is at peace. A power should be able to lean on other powers to push them towards peace settlements. Some of the features in SMAC and CTP2 might also be a good start.

3) More uniqueness to each civilization - 1 UU is not enough. Have one UU for every age. In some games, some of the UUs of civs are never seen. Besides that, the AI plays every civ exactly the same....expand, expand, expand. There must be something that could be done to set each civ apart from the other. Otherwise, the game becomes the same strategies, just different colors.

4) More Technologies - Why does the tech tree stop in the modern age? It would not be hard to push one more age into the game. The techs need to be better laid out into strands to make research more a part of one's strategy. It would be possible to add buildings that could add to research along specific lines as opposed to just general research.

5) More worker actions - As the game advances, it should be possible for workers to create advanced forms of existing improvements. Each level of improvement should be more specialized and as it increases a targeted tile bonus, other bonuses should be reduced.

6) Better use of strategic resources - The entire strategic resource model needs to be overhauled. There need to be limitations on how useful a strategic resource can be. 2 Iron should be more useful than just 1 Iron. Perhaps some units could require more than one source. Or perhaps only X number of cities could produce the unit requiring the resource. The game needs to go beyond just grabbing one of everything to be able to build every unit.

These are just my opinions on improvements I would like to see. Please add to them if you can think of any I may have forgotten.
Old May 8, 2002, 16:17   #2
zulu9812
King

Re: Improvements yet to be made to CivIII
Quote:
Originally posted by Deornwulf
3) More uniqueness to each civilization - 1 UU is not enough. Have one UU for every age. In some games, some of the UUs of civs are never seen. Besides that, the AI plays every civ exactly the same....expand, expand, expand. There must be something that could be done to set each civ apart from the other. Otherwise, the game becomes the same strategies, just different colors.

5) More worker actions - As the game advances, it should be possible for workers to create advanced forms of existing improvements. Each level of improvement should be more specialized and as it increases a targeted tile bonus, other bonuses should be reduced.
I agree with most of what you've said: it's pretty spot on, really.

The UUs are supposed to be that civ's place in the sun: the highpoint for that culture. Having more than one defeats that purpose.

I think the new expansion pack will have worker actions to Build Airfield, Build Outpost and Build Radar Tower.
Old May 8, 2002, 17:02   #3
Arc
Chieftain

Giving us a way to fight against pollution. ( making it less virulent or implementing new buildings through the ages: sewers and some various plants for example, to reduce it).

Implementing an option (when starting a game) to wether the AI will be ultra-expansionnist or not (map full before 1000BC is not fun for casual players).

Tinkering the "culture flipping" in order to warn us when a city is "interested" by another civ and will switch soon. maybe implement some kind of units keeping a town from flipping.

More techs, more units, decrease the "downtime" in the industrial age (lack of things to do beside war, which is usually tedious)
Old May 8, 2002, 17:30   #4
ahenobarb
Prince

Quote:
These are the improvements that I, as the customer, would like to see made to the game.
Being the customer doesn't get you as far as it used to in everyday life, it certainly isn't going to hold much water at Firaxis.

That said, I agree with your suggestions. I think diplomacy in the game would do wonders if its rules were programmed to resemble those of the game "Diplomacy". No element of chance, just ... diplomacy.

Add worker jobs! Add worker jobs! This could be such a powerful scenario element.

Good news though, you can add two terrain types in the XP.

BTW: your 3 and 6 are out it would be too hard for them to change at this point. Also, my Diplomacy suggestion is out from the reason.
Old May 8, 2002, 19:42   #5
ACooper
Prince

Local Time: 18:21
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Sounds like Civ 4 ideas to me.
Old May 9, 2002, 00:47   #6
Grrr
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 13:21
That reminds me, ask Marko's for a Civ 4/Ideas forum.
Old May 9, 2002, 04:27   #7
I-iZ-1337
Chieftain

Iz 1 n33ded so s00n?
Old May 9, 2002, 09:21   #8
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 02:21
hi ,

a cemetry , a prison , more uu units , ....
more range on airunits

have a nice day
Old May 9, 2002, 09:38   #9
ahenobarb
Prince

One of my WIBNI (Would it be nice if) ideas is that cities should be able to specialize in the production of certain units, if they produce them for a while. So Detroit after manufacturing 10 tanks one right after another would accrue economies of scale and be able to produce them much faster (since they already have a production line). Same for aircraft, cavalry, whatever.

Another WIBNI idea was that cities with grapes in its city radius could build a winery in order to manufacture wine that could be traded. Same for the other luxuries like silk, spices, etc. Ala Colonization.

But that's "more of a Shelbyville idea", if you catch my monorail.
Old May 9, 2002, 09:45   #10
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by ahenobarb
One of my WIBNI (Would it be nice if) ideas is that cities should be able to specialize in the production of certain units, if they produce them for a while. So Detroit after manufacturing 10 tanks one right after another would accrue economies of scale and be able to produce them much faster (since they already have a production line). Same for aircraft, cavalry, whatever.

Another WIBNI idea was that cities with grapes in its city radius could build a winery in order to manufacture wine that could be traded. Same for the other luxuries like silk, spices, etc. Ala Colonization.

But that's "more of a Shelbyville idea", if you catch my monorail.
hi ,

hmmm , not bad , ..

so what it comes to is more buildings , ..???

have a nice day
Old May 9, 2002, 17:59   #11
ahenobarb
Prince

It's more than just adding buildings. The original thread and idea is here:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...finished+goods

But, it is not gonna be done, so it's sort of pointless.

Thanks , have a wonderful day .
Old May 9, 2002, 18:27   #12
Mikhail
Chieftain

Things I'd like to see:

1. Bombers should either have the range of an ICBM (it's entirely within technology in the modern age to bring enough fuel to fly half-way around the world), OR you should be able to base aircraft in an ally's cities.

2. Future-wonders (even if there never is a future age), such as Global Disarment, which would disarm all those pesky nukes

Deornwulf:

The '1 uu for every age' would seriously crowd the game, and IMO, shatter the realism. Some civs, Like America and Rome, don't cover every age. A warrior or spearman UU for America? I don't think so

Your resource idea is a pretty good idea, but if implemented, there would need to be more on every map. Half the time I don't get 1 of each, let alone 2.
Old May 9, 2002, 21:33   #13
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 17:21
How about the ability to trade units during diplomacy? Sure I'll trade you my horses Alexander, but I think I'll take a few Hoplites please.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old May 9, 2002, 21:35   #14
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 20:21
Quote:
Originally posted by ACooper
Sounds like Civ 4 ideas to me.
Or Civ 4.3 ideas.
Old May 9, 2002, 21:54   #15
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 20:21
Deornwulf, if you want all those things you should play SMAC. As discussed on another thread, father Sid and his minions thought that Civ3 should be as simple as possible, to ensure a wide audience. SMAC is the gamer's game.

Dominae
Old May 10, 2002, 00:35   #16
star mouse
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 11:21
Quote:
4) More Technologies - Why does the tech tree stop in the modern age? It would not be hard to push one more age into the game. The techs need to be better laid out into strands to make research more a part of one's strategy. It would be possible to add buildings that could add to research along specific lines as opposed to just general research.
Good idea, but I would start by filling up the Modern Age first. The first three ages have about 22 techs each, but the Modern age only has 17. Five more techs in the Modern age, and 22 in a Future age should do it.

I want Fusion tanks and Leviathans!
Old May 10, 2002, 01:05   #17
Grrr
King

Don't forget Cargo Pods.

Probably best implemented with a small wonder which gives all units infinite range paradrop.
Old May 10, 2002, 01:06   #18
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 19:21
Re: Re: Improvements yet to be made to CivIII
Quote:
Originally posted by star mouse
I want Fusion tanks and Leviathans!
Yuck, I don't. In my mind, CTP's future nonsense was the worst part of the game because it was very unbalanced, whimsical, and totally blew away my feeling of "being in" the game. IMO, future techs are left to the modders.
Old May 10, 2002, 01:24   #19
star mouse
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 11:21
Re: Re: Re: Improvements yet to be made to CivIII
Quote:
Originally posted by cyclotron7
IMO, future techs are left to the modders.
So we need a fixed editor that can actually allow the modders to create new buildings, techs and units.
Old May 10, 2002, 10:17   #20
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
How about the ability to trade units during diplomacy? Sure I'll trade you my horses Alexander, but I think I'll take a few Hoplites please.
hi ,

hmm , thats good , but why not take this further , so that you can give a unit to a civ , wheter its friendly or not , and you can decide if you give the tech with it or not , ...

have a nice day
Old May 10, 2002, 10:37   #21
Panag
Emperor

Re: Re: Re: Re: Improvements yet to be made to CivIII
Quote:

So we need a fixed editor that can actually allow the modders to create new buildings, techs and units.
hi ,

well that could be an option ,.........but how , use the tech line (era) thats there and just put in blank spaces that the mod makers could fill in , ..???

have a nice day
Old May 10, 2002, 13:14   #22
ahenobarb
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
I thought that was a good idea too.

The thread is here:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=44172

I doubt it will be done though. But I still have hope.
Old May 10, 2002, 15:06   #23
Panag
Emperor

hi ,

topic , workers can plant forest , harvest it , ya get 10 shields , ...
no problem , but they can now do it over and over again , ...

it was fixed , .......

have a nice day
Old May 10, 2002, 15:22   #24
mingmyling
Settler

Fusion Tanks are a great idea....I also want to be able to use germ warfare and terrorism. I think it would be great to tie some bombs to some workers and blow them up near the enemy....not original....but very effective.
Old May 10, 2002, 15:25   #25
mingmyling
Settler

Spies should cost less to use and terrorists should even be cheaper. Can you imagine the terror you could spread throughout the enemy cities with just one or two effective terrorists?

How can you call this game "civilization" without terrorists?
Old May 10, 2002, 15:32   #26
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by mingmyling
Spies should cost less to use and terrorists should even be cheaper. Can you imagine the terror you could spread throughout the enemy cities with just one or two effective terrorists?

How can you call this game "civilization" without terrorists?
hi ,

a lot of people shall not like the game then , ...however a mod should do it for you , just wait , then we can all start to mod ourselfs , ....

have a nice day
Old May 10, 2002, 17:17   #27
Grrr
King

For those people that don't like future weapons, FI leviathans, then my concept of limiting eras in games will be welcome. For instance, playing a game in the medival/modern eras only.
Old May 10, 2002, 18:51   #28
Captain
King

Local Time: 19:21
Re: Re: Re: Re: Improvements yet to be made to CivIII
Quote:

yep!
now Firaxis has mentioned a more powerful editor, but I don't think they've been very specific (not surprisingly), so until they say exactly what they're going to enable, I'll keep pushing for more in the editor department. I really want an option to make bldg prereqs for units, more replacement flags (for mutually exclusive things besides pp), and buildings that interact more with the resources (eg. refinery doubles oil production, or Ironworks counts as a supply of iron, or on the more complex end, coal + iron + mill = steel).

i'm not asking for Firaxis to actually do the above, just make the editor flexible enough to allow us to do it.
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
Old May 10, 2002, 19:12   #29
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Revamp the Modern Era tech tree. The game is over before many of the interesting toys come up. The Space Ship components should begin to become available very late in the era, not near the beginning. Would you get on Apollo 13 to go to another star?

Also, just building the UN should not trigger the votes. Add an Advance 'Global Government' very near the end of the tree. Once anyone discovers it, that power may move for a vote if the UN has been built (and still exists).

Definitely redo the UN vote. You should not be able to win just by bribing 2 or 3 hasbeen powers to like you. Something more based on population and requiring two-thirds to win might be better.

Change RR movement from infinite to some fraction of 1. Or leave it infinite and limit the number of units that can use Rail on any given turn (preferred). Invasions in MP are going to be next to impossible as it is.
Old May 10, 2002, 19:36   #30
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Grrr
For those people that don't like future weapons, FI leviathans, then my concept of limiting eras in games will be welcome. For instance, playing a game in the medival/modern eras only.
hi ,

agreed , but only if the era's are bigger , ...

have a nice day