Old May 9, 2002, 12:37   #1
pocket_lint
Settler

Local Time: 21:25
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Finally it has happened. I'm beginning to enjoy this game.
I first bought this game back when it was released. I popped it in that first night and got so fed up with it that it sat on a shelf until last night. Maybe I wasn't in the right frame of mind to learn how to play this game back then. I mean for someone who has never played any of the Civ games, there seemed to be a pretty steep learning curve involved in my opinion. There is just so much information to learn that it can be overwhelming at first. But last night I sat down very calmly and took my time to learn some of the basics and now it is growing on me very quickly. I'm looking forward to playing tonight when I get home and to continue learning more. I've barely scratched the surface so far but I have to say I am having fun.
Old May 9, 2002, 12:44   #2
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 02:25
Local Date: November 1, 2010
That's good to hear! It's refreshing to read some good about this game! Good luck with the learning!
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old May 9, 2002, 13:02   #3
Cookie Monster
King

Local Time: 19:25
Congratulations!

Don't get frustrated with this game. There is indeed a steep learning curve to learn but with practice and a little patience you will do fine.
Old May 9, 2002, 13:12   #4
dojoboy
Mac
Prince

Local Time: 20:25
Welcome back!

Have you patched (1.21f) it?

Play on!
Old May 9, 2002, 13:23   #5
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 00:25
Congratualtions PL.

It's great to see someone new to TBS gaming actually start to see its appeal. Kudos to you.

I find these kinds of testimonials interesting. After playing TBS for so long one forgets the steep learning curve. Perhaps Sid/Firaxis were right in their approach to CIV3 afterall. Previous TBS's IHMO had even steeper learning curves than CIV3.

Anyhoo, keep TBSing.

Og

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old May 9, 2002, 14:25   #6
Raion
Prince

Local Time: 00:25
Yes, Civilization takes a time to learn, then it takes a time to play, then chucking it all and trying something different takes more time to try, and beating the computer relentessly takes still more time, and time and time again and again.

You have been recuited.
You have been recuited by Civ to be a leader.
You have been recuited by Civilization and the league to be a leader of a Civilization.
You have been recuited.
Civ leader!

The decisions you make will be your own, Good Luck, Civ Leader!
Old May 9, 2002, 15:05   #7
Bella Hella
Prince

Local Time: 19:25
i felt the same when i bought SMAC. i had never played ANY computer game before, except heroes 2 & 3. when i popped it in, i had absolutely no friggin idea what was going on. NONE. i got so fed up i almost cried - after all, i had just spent a lot of money on this game that i couldn't even play. but i stuck with it and ran through the tutorial and after a while, found myself playing my first "real" game on the easiest difficulty. eventually i was winning games on higher difficulty levels and trying new strategies and so forth. civ was pretty easy for me to learn after SMACing, but i definitely remember that feeling of hopelessness, like "everybody says this game is so #@$%ing cool and i can't even @#$%ing figure it out... grumble... WTF am i supposed to DO?"

one of my main problems was that i knew WHAT to do, but not HOW to do it. like, not knowing how to plant a forest (just an example). the help menus always tell you what units there are and this and that, but not the simple commands you need to use in order to build all these wonderful things.

my BF is kind of fed up with civ3 since he never played a civ game or SMAC. it just takes some getting used to, IMO.