View Poll Results: Which civs, if included, would you not use?
Celts 15 4.10%
Vikings 7 1.91%
Mongols 6 1.64%
Sioux 33 9.02%
Turks 10 2.73%
Arabs 12 3.28%
Hebrews/Israel 39 10.66%
Canadians 42 11.48%
Maya 13 3.55%
Khmer 36 9.84%
Ethiopians 24 6.56%
Nubians 34 9.29%
Dutch 27 7.38%
Carthaginians/Phoenicians 10 2.73%
Polynesians 32 8.74%
Koreans 26 7.10%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 22, 2002, 05:49   #61
badassb
Settler

Local Time: 00:26
Local Date: November 1, 2010
How about including the great civ of the Belgians?

We've colonized the Congo ( Zaire)

We defeated the Germans once ( WWI)?

oh and yes, we've kicked the Dutch out of our country. (

Don't know what UU we should have?

lol
Old May 22, 2002, 06:02   #62
badassb
Settler

Oh and yes, we are an "old" civ.

Ceasar ( the roman tiran) mentioned the belgians as the bravest of all Gauls. ( +- 50 BC). He had quite some troubles defeating the belgians. One of the tribes, the eburones, lead by Ambiorix resisted bitterly.
Old May 22, 2002, 06:04   #63
badassb
Settler

fot the story, look here

http://www.livius.org/caa-can/caesar/caesar_t26.html
Old May 22, 2002, 18:16   #64
Andrew Cory
Warlord

Local Time: 16:26
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I'd play as the Californians any day of the week. "Pat" Brown could be our leader, (Norton I if you are feeling whimiscal) Religious and Scientific would be our traits and I have _no_ idea what our UU would be. The catch, of course, is that we would never have any great leaders, as CA has never produced a millitary person worth speaking of. Our prefered government would be Democracy (200 proof, please!) and our shunned government would be despotism...

I noticed that I had a bias towards english-speaking civs; indeed, other than the Americans, I only play the English.and would _gladly_ play the Canucks (some of my best friends...)

Remember the World Trade Center
Old May 22, 2002, 19:23   #65
Ninot
PtWDG RoleplayC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 19:26
Cut us Canadians some slack, heres a joke:

God was telling his secretary of what he created recently, just making an overview for his secretary to write down and such.

"The world has many terrains, and many peoples. And all the peoples are different. There are the darker skined peoples, and the lighter skined peoples. There are those who live in the desert, and those who live in the jungle. Some live where it is cold, while others live where it is hot. And there is a decent balance of good and bad people.

"But there is one place where I have placed a certain speacial kind of people. They are loving and kind. They wish no harm to anyone. They are charitable and they keep the peace always. They are truly a great people. I call them Canadians"

But the secretary was puzled by this. He asked God: "Lord, how could the world have a propper balance of good and bad people if these truly nice people exist?"

And God replied knowingly: "Wait untill I describe their neighbor nation to you, and you will understand."

lol, meant in good humor, i love USA too... just wanted to share

Anyways, I'm not voting mostly because I don't know half of the groups on the list. Don't wanna be unfair to any of them. Or over-fair, lol.
Old May 22, 2002, 19:35   #66
Andrew_Jay
Prince

Local Time: 20:56
Ninot, very good I've never heard that one before, is it your own?

Andrew Cory; I'm pretty sure Patton was from California (at least if I remember the line from the movie where he's talking to the soldiers at the field hospital). Hey, wasn't Nixon also from California? . . . I think I see who would be the leader . . .
Old May 22, 2002, 20:30   #67
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Local Time: 18:26
That's Emperor Norton I, con man or delusional?

Learning your potential enemies strengths and weaknesses is a good reason to play all the civs. I have won games with what many consider to be weak civs, oftentimes even though I didn't build their UU.

Any civ, is a potential winner if played correctly, knowing your enemies is one of the first steps to victory.
Old May 23, 2002, 00:04   #68
Ninot
PtWDG RoleplayC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 19:26
REPLY TO ANDREW_J

It was an email joke I got from a good friend.

And, know i know 6 of the 8... I'll vote.

I wouldn't play celts or catharginians (should be Phoenixians)...

i WOULD play with the Spannish and Mongols definately, Korea would be third, but also a must play.

As for whatshername, the Spannish Leader, might she be a modern era babe? unlike the bald Joan, or other generally ugly female leaders? I hope so. Perhaps some kind of Royal J-Lo? Meh... just as long as she aint bald, fat, or bony.
Old May 23, 2002, 03:34   #69
Andrew Cory
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew_Jay
Ninot, very good I've never heard that one before, is it your own?

Andrew Cory; I'm pretty sure Patton was from California (at least if I remember the line from the movie where he's talking to the soldiers at the field hospital). Hey, wasn't Nixon also from California? . . . I think I see who would be the leader . . .
Hmmm, that would be intersting, could the US and CA have the same GL at the same time?

Besides, "Pat" Brown was _hands down_ the best leader CA had. Hell without him, Northern CA would flood every year, and Southern CA would still be a desert. Thank you Feather River Project! Also, wasn't the Callifornia Community College system started under his watch? Currently that system is home to 1.8 Million students, is the largest system of Higher ed in the world, and is truly a marvel. Now, name somthing Nixon did for CA?

Last edited by Andrew Cory; May 23, 2002 at 03:40.
Old May 23, 2002, 03:36   #70
Andrew Cory
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by kring
That's Emperor Norton I, con man or delusional?
Neither, actualy he proves the "popular soverignty" thesis rather conclusivly: the people treated him like an emporer, and so he was one. Name me one other man to stop a full scale riot with just a prayer?

Of course, I may be biased, having visited his grave and all...

Old May 23, 2002, 11:26   #71
Mannamagnus
Prince

Local Time: 01:26
Quote:
Originally posted by badassb

oh and yes, we've kicked the Dutch out of our country. (
When was that? I remember you fought for your independence back in 1832(?) but you were "pacified" in six days time. Only pressure from England and France made us grant you independence.

Mind you, I'm glad it happened, because you have become our most favourite neighbour (not hard considering the competition ) which is way better than an unhappy province draining away resources.

If the Belgians would make it into the expansion pack I would certainly play them and I would suggest the Manneke Pis special unit which would be able to ignore city walls by urinating over them.