Old May 12, 2002, 11:40   #31
Andrew_Jay
Prince

Local Time: 20:56
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I didn't mean it was impossible, it makes perfect sense. The only problem I see is in implementation such as actually sending a unit over the pole. I'd hate ever unit I have step on the top or bottom edge of the map get teleported across the map
Perhaps that'll be the plan for civIV: an actual spherical earth that you could rotate and see from space and what not; THAT would be awesome, especially seeing your space ship in orbit under construction as well those of other civs.
Old May 12, 2002, 12:38   #32
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 02:26
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Captain

hi

I like panag's greetings, it sounds like he really means it, makes me feel better, not sure it would have the same effect as a sig.
he's even cut down on his use of commas so that alone makes his posts readable now. some still doesn't make enough sense, but hey, lots of folks don't. at least it doesn't hurt the eyes anymore.

cheers!
hi ,

dont forget the "hi" , the reason for not putting the "have a nice day" in the sig , is because it is sincere , and if it where in the sig people would not notice it , ......thats why , .....

and a lot of people like it because its sincere and its coming from the heart .
there is enough pain in this world , some caused by people who dont like other people for the color their religion their beliefs even if you like civ2 in place of civ3 , .....

now enough of this threadjacking and please stay on topic .

the problem is the generation of icy areas by a random map creator , however knowing what "Mike" and the others can do ,
we should ask them .

to all of ya in cyberspace and in the real world , have a nice day
Old May 12, 2002, 18:22   #33
Zoid
inmate
C4DG The HordeCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG Southern Cross

Local Time: 01:26
Quote:
Originally posted by panag

hi ,

with some luck maybe for civ3 , we should start a thread on it , ...

have a nice day
You´re a bit late for that, son.
Old May 12, 2002, 18:29   #34
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 02:26
Quote:
Originally posted by Kamrat X

You´re a bit late for that, son.
hi ,

"father" ; its never late , ...............

no , a new thread , new ideas , hmmm , we learned a lot in the mean time , so , ......

a sub should be able to go under the poles , but ya could not use it , ......it would come out on the other "side" , ...............

have a nice day
Old May 13, 2002, 10:37   #35
XarXo
Prince

Local Time: 00:26
CONCLUSIONS OF THE THREAD
About ice in Civ III (provisional proposal):

The best process is have three sets of terrain:

- Sea Ice
- Glacier (Earth Ice)
- Mountains in Ice

SEA ICE:

The idea is that a line of Broken Sea Ice appears in the border of Sea Ice, with some gulfs and islands. The apperance is the same as Glacier. Nothing is "buildable" here (no cities, no colonies, no roads...)

Resources: Seals (is a Bonus resouce, +2 food, +1 money, +1 shield). Is a good resource for tundra cities like Murmansk or Iqualuit.

Is difficult to cross (for terrain units, impossible for sea units).

There is a high death risc (ice breaking fissures, snow tempest, like ships in the sea) for terrain units. This risc decays with modern units. The mobility is 1 square per turn for ALL the units.

Its apperance is like the actual polar shelfs. Nothing is "buildable" here. Modern ships can cross these tiles when FISSION is reached (icebreaking ability).

GLACIER:

Glacier is taller than the Sea Ice, comparatively is half than a Civ III mountain.

Resources: Diamonds, Coal, Oil, Aluminium, Uranium.

Is safer than Sea Ice but not at the 100% (well, I consider that terrains like mountains and deserts should be dangerous too! Specially for large units like war elephants or tanks) .

It allows to construct road, railway, colony, air base, outpost, fortess and radar. NO CITIES. Of course, is really tought build something. When FISSION is discovered, the building difficult is divided by 2.

MOUNTAINS IN ICE:

Mountains in Ice are a black version of normal mountains, craggier, taller and wilder.

Resources: Diamonds, Coal, Oil, Uranium, Helium 3, Gold (this last one, a bit useless without a city near).

You only can construct roads and a new thing: Condensors.

A new and very rare strategic resource: Helium 3 . For obtain it you need something more than a road, a Condensor.

About Helium 3:

A new technology is proposed for Modern Times: FUSSION.

The SS Engine, Condensor building ability and possibility of see Helium 3 is learned here. Also you can build a Minor Wonder called "Supersyncrotron", it produces 1 of Helium 3 and 1 of Uranium but requires A LOT OF TIME to be build and need a minimum of 10 power plants to allow it. Having Helium 3 in your empire will give you an extra shield in the basic production of ALL the cities.

When the SS Engine is made, a source of Helium 3 disappears and doesn'r reapear. If we are using the Supersyncrotron one, doesn't disappear.

For reach it you need 3 knowledges: The Laser, Superconductor and Syntethic Fibers.

CONNECTING THIS RESOURCES TO TEH CAPITAL WITHOUT CITIES:

Condensor/Colony -> Road -> (??) Air Base / Outpost (??)

THIS PROPOSALS AND THE REAL WORLD:

Antarctica's Scientific bases can be seen as Air Bases and Colonies, could be a great idea create a special set of graphics for colonies/air bases in Desert/Plains and Tundra/Glacier.

Helium 3 is a resource with a huge potential. A mine in The Moon is proposed ONLY due that there are lots of Helium 3 in our "planetary sister".

This resource is necessary for fussion reaction, so if you don't have Helium 3 you can't build a Spaceship with the capacity of reach Alpha Centaury in less than 500.000 years .

VOLCANOES AND OTHER THREAD PROPOSALS:

I believe that these must be explained in a new thread.

Last edited by XarXo; May 13, 2002 at 11:44.