Old May 9, 2002, 15:50   #1
Mellian
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Queen

Local Time: 19:26
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Fifth Era
One thing i would like to see in the XP is a Fifth Era I want a future, not just the past and present darnit

In the 5th Era, we could have new wonders like the Space Elevator, Command Nexus (upgrade of the Petagon), Planetary Stock Exchange, Weather Paradign, Virtual World, Longivity Vaccine, etc...

Facilities like Perimeter Defences (replaces City walls and can be built no matter how big your city is), Pressure Domes, Habitat Domes,

New units like better jets/bombers (or simply a merge), Power Armoured Infantry, Rovers, Hovertanks, Gravships, Foils, better Cruisers, better submarines, Fusion Carrier, Formers, Colony Pod, Conventional Missiles (replaces Cruise Missiles), Battlemech/Gears/battleoids, Probe Teams, Cloned Infantry, geneticly engineered troopers (like the jem'hadar), battledroids, Former Ships, etc oh, Supply Crawlers... who needs colonies? Chemical and Bio missiles

Be able to build Mag Tubes that replaces railroads (infinite movement or bigger divider then the RRs), build Sea Cities, establish kelp farms, Mining Platforms, and so on. Also the 5th era workers can do major terraforming like removing mountains...or simply place hills/mountains (raising and lowering terrain), extend land masses, dig up rivers, and so on. Allow settlers to build cities on mountains and other terrains you couldn't before and so on... establish boreholes and solar arrays/echelon mirrors.

as for technologies...well, some can be base on those in SMAC... like take synthetic fossil fuel, which will remove the dependence on Oil resources, same with Iron and so on when you discover some tech that allows Synthetic metal.

We should have satellites thing like smac...but better. I want orbital wars darnit

Improve the colonies idea, where it becomes useful.

an script language and different worlds thing like ToT would be useful. ...one of them can be space, where you send space shuttles or whatever, and start contructing platforms... (worker in space).

thats all i can think of for now.

-Mellian
Old May 9, 2002, 15:56   #2
Cookie Monster
King

Sounds very Call to Powerish but I did enjoy that series from Activision. Altough traditionally Sid Meier has stayed away from future techs in all his civ games (SMAC was really a separate game IMHO) he might want to try with Civ3. Just a thought.
Old May 9, 2002, 15:59   #3
Mellian
Queen

If they don't make it happen, then we (maybe just me) may have to create the 5th era as best as i could... just alot of the stuff i said in the first post I won't be able to make it happen... but Firaxis can!

Call to Power, phht.... Atleast Sea Cities and sea terraforming and a fifth era darnit

-Mellian
Old May 9, 2002, 16:09   #4
Miznia
Warlord

Local Time: 18:26
It would be best to have a 5th era if they're going to have Brazil, but I imagine they'll keep it simple.

New units:
Laser Infantry
Laser Tank
Orbital Laser Artillery
Laser Bomber
Laser Battleship

Brazilian UU: Voltron

That should do it

I like the idea of an updated railroad. Perhaps it could allow a unit to move unlimited turns, or allow land movement overseas. (When I was a kid, I believed that there were over-ocean railroads to Hawaii...)

There would be a new type of pollution to clean up, to represent the cooling of the sun and the dying of earth.

CTP's Eco-Terrorist would be good, or some kind of biological warfare to actually obliterate cities, unlike the stupid nukes

Space Race would have to be extended, maybe 20 parts to it.
Old May 9, 2002, 16:09   #5
FrostyBoy
Emperor

Local Time: 08:26
Local Date: November 1, 2010
If they don't like the idea of adding a 5th era, then they should at least support it in the editor, because there are A LOT of ppl who do want to continue playing into the future.
Old May 9, 2002, 16:10   #6
FrostyBoy
Emperor

btw, CTP sucked at it; the future can be designed much better than that.
Old May 9, 2002, 16:15   #7
Cookie Monster
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Sn00py
btw, CTP sucked at it; the future can be designed much better than that.
What about CtP's future was it that you didn't like?

If they do ever consider doing a "future" in civ3 I hope it's not a let's see what happens when the spaceship reaches Alpha Centauri. I liked SMAC and all but this is Civ. Let's have a post apocalyptic earth for the 5th era. In SMAC we know that mankind had to escape earth because of the horrible nuclear wars.
Old May 9, 2002, 16:23   #8
Miznia
Warlord

Quote:
I hope it's not a let's see what happens when the spaceship reaches Alpha Centauri. I liked SMAC and all but this is Civ. Let's have a post apocalyptic earth for the 5th era. In SMAC we know that mankind had to escape earth because of the horrible nuclear wars.
Yeah, that would sort of suck, if there was a separate Alpha Centauri map to flip to. But maybe it could be like Future Techs... You could build more than one spaceship and rack up bonus points.

I can think of a few takes on that.
Conquest victory: Once you conquer the world, it splits up into random blocks like in Civ2. The more times you re-conquer the world, the more points you get.
Diplomatic victory: Once the world unites behind you, it turns out that you're the Antichrist and there's a huge nuclear war. The more times you win Diplomatic victory after that, the more points you get.
Cultural victory: Once you wrack up enough culture, you reset to zero and start researching "Future Culture." And keep on winning and expanding your borders.
Old May 9, 2002, 17:25   #9
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

no. if they added a 5th era i'd put it betwwn mideval and industrial, and i'd call it colonial.
Old May 9, 2002, 17:33   #10
Miznia
Warlord

Quote:
no. if they added a 5th era i'd put it betwwn mideval and industrial, and i'd call it colonial.
Or put it at the beginning and call it "Prehistoric" as some people have already suggested. I think you'd start out with just a warrior, and you'd have to find goody huts to get the techs City-Building and Agriculture. Your warrior would have to hunt game, too.

I think it would be realistic. You could only have a war if you found somebody else's warrior. That would represent tribal conflict.
Old May 9, 2002, 17:39   #11
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 02:26
Quote:
Originally posted by Miznia
You could only have a war if you found somebody else's warrior. That would represent tribal conflict.
Well, then you could come to eliminate many civs too early, IMHO. Just think of a "world conquest" 3500 BC! (if all civs started in, let's say Europe. It happens often in Civ3)

And this we have suggested in years without any answer from Firaxis(as I know at least).
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old May 9, 2002, 17:53   #12
Carver
Prince

Quote:
It would be best to have a 5th era if they're going to have Brazil, but I imagine they'll keep it simple.

Brazilian UU: Voltron
Voltron? Would you have to build the five lions separately or all at once? And what if you loose those keys?

"-Form Legs
-Form Arms and Body
-And I'll form the Head"
Old May 9, 2002, 17:55   #13
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

well here is an idea , put two or more era's in the game and one blank , that a player can fill him himself , and that the player can decide where he wants it , ...

a fifth is good , but they can put more era's in .
and they should make them bigger .

have a nice day
Old May 9, 2002, 18:02   #14
Joe R. Golowka
Chieftain

There should be the option to add as many eras as you'd like in the editory. We could have the rennaissance, enlightenement, colonial, prehistoric, classical, future, nuclear and other ages. I'd also like to be able to control how fast the years advance in the editor.
"Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners." - Edward Abbey
http://www.anarchyfaq.org
Old May 9, 2002, 19:49   #15
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

yes, if the game allowed user created eras, we could make a game that took months to finish. sure many would see it as boring, but if you made a game where there were 5 eras where the Mideval age is now, thee could be several versions of the knight, slightly different than others, and you would actually have mideval wars for more than 30 minutes.
Old May 9, 2002, 20:46   #16
Tuberski

Quote:

Or put it at the beginning and call it "Prehistoric" as some people have already suggested. I think you'd start out with just a warrior, and you'd have to find goody huts to get the techs City-Building and Agriculture. Your warrior would have to hunt game, too.

I think it would be realistic. You could only have a war if you found somebody else's warrior. That would represent tribal conflict.
And then , of course you would have to hope that you got a settler out of a goody hut. Since a) you can't build cities without them. b) You can't do research without cities.

So, c) you couldn't research City building or Agriculture.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old May 9, 2002, 21:11   #17
Mellian
Queen

Maybe i should of been more specific with the subject name... i prefer having a OFFICIAL 5th FUTURE era

and going backwards with apocalypse is a bit silly

don't the editor already allow to add more eras? ohh, yes..only if you use the hack editor, okay..

-mellian
Old May 9, 2002, 21:13   #18
Mellian
Queen

as for units and technology... rather be base on the most likely technologies we would achieve in the next century or so.... like they did with the SMAC techs... the earlier ones are more realistic then the later.

-mellian
Old May 9, 2002, 21:39   #19
Thrawn05
King

I'd like to see a fifth era. Based on so called future tech that seems to be close at hand.

However, they have to have a sixth that filled with Mechs and the like.

It would be fun playing against Ming, and his army of Instant Destructo Rockets pointed at my capital.
Old May 10, 2002, 00:38   #20
Grrr
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 13:26
Definately a future era would be nice to have.
Old May 10, 2002, 01:32   #21
FrostyBoy
Emperor

WE NEED A FIFTH ERA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(and hey if you aren't gonna do it, PLEASE ALLOW US TO MAKE ONE!)
Old May 10, 2002, 01:33   #22
FrostyBoy
Emperor

Oh and also allow us to control where it gets put!

Some of us (myself aswell) probably want to start as monkies! lol

(serious!)
Old May 10, 2002, 01:43   #23
Grrr
King

I still believe that civs should change from being nomads to cited whenever they like. One should start at 10000BC with a couple of workers and warriors, and when they find a settler, can settle down.
Old May 10, 2002, 06:43   #24
Jethro83
Prince

Local Time: 10:26
Quote:
Originally posted by Grrr
I still believe that civs should change from being nomads to cited whenever they like. One should start at 10000BC with a couple of workers and warriors, and when they find a settler, can settle down.
That would definitely improve the Expansionist trait, as they get better chance of a settler from a goody hut than any other civ.

But this is a game that is supposed to begin at the point in history when tribes of the world began to settle and found their civilization. I say that 4000 BC is fine, and starting with one settler unit at this time is adequate.
Old May 10, 2002, 10:19   #25
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Mellian
Maybe i should of been more specific with the subject name... i prefer having a OFFICIAL 5th FUTURE era

and going backwards with apocalypse is a bit silly

don't the editor already allow to add more eras? ohh, yes..only if you use the hack editor, okay..

-mellian
hi ,

99.99 percent agrees with you , but why not take it further , ...
and ad more era's , ....

have a nice day
Old May 10, 2002, 17:02   #26
Grrr
King

If there editor is any good, we can add a twenty eighth era .
Old May 10, 2002, 18:03   #27
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

I'd rather see the current 4 areas flushed out a lot more, with official support for adding as many eras as you want...
Old May 10, 2002, 18:21   #28
Darkworld Ark
Warlord

Local Time: 00:26
A 5th Era would be cool, if they add a future era, they darn well better have fusion & mechs! (& not your crazy Japanese Mechs that you can control every body movement with two joysticks on either side, I'm talking "realistic" mechs, like BattleMech.)
Old May 10, 2002, 19:32   #29
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Grrr
If there editor is any good, we can add a twenty eighth era .

hi ,

ahem , 10 shall do , maybe we should vote on it , ....?

have a nice day
Old May 10, 2002, 19:38   #30
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkworld Ark
A 5th Era would be cool, if they add a future era, they darn well better have fusion & mechs! (& not your crazy Japanese Mechs that you can control every body movement with two joysticks on either side, I'm talking "realistic" mechs, like BattleMech.)
realistic mechs.

would be cool though. I would probably want 2 additional eras before i got to that stuff though, too far in the future.