Old May 10, 2002, 19:38   #31
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 19:26
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Grrr
If there editor is any good, we can add a twenty eighth era .
That would certainly make the scientific trait more valuable. 28 free advances over the course of the game? damn.
Old May 10, 2002, 19:54   #32
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 02:26
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel

That would certainly make the scientific trait more valuable. 28 free advances over the course of the game? damn.
hi ,

but the tech's would be in proportion as well , .....nice try

have a nice day
Old May 10, 2002, 19:59   #33
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by panag

hi ,

but the tech's would be in proportion as well , .....nice try

have a nice day
Sure the other traits would be in proportion, except for Expansionist which is useless by 1 ad. It would just make me more willing to try scientific if I got that many freebies. the three that it gives now, I don't find to be that appetizing. granted I try to get rocketry soon, but the others Ibypass for a while.
Old May 10, 2002, 20:05   #34
Panag
Emperor

Quote:

Sure the other traits would be in proportion, except for Expansionist which is useless by 1 ad. It would just make me more willing to try scientific if I got that many freebies. the three that it gives now, I don't find to be that appetizing. granted I try to get rocketry soon, but the others Ibypass for a while.
hi ,

one could always use the editor , ....and give a civ ALL the civ-specific abilities , ...

have a nice day
Old May 10, 2002, 20:27   #35
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by panag

hi ,

one could always use the editor , ....and give a civ ALL the civ-specific abilities , ...

have a nice day
I actually tried that for one game. was, uh, pretty unbalancing. but nice. all abiliities and start with 4 techs. pretty sweet. but I only tried once, and figured what's the point.
Old May 10, 2002, 22:24   #36
Tuberski

Quote:

I actually tried that for one game. was, uh, pretty unbalancing. but nice. all abiliities and start with 4 techs. pretty sweet. but I only tried once, and figured what's the point.
I did it too. It helps to give a feel for what the different traits do, with out having to play all the combinations.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old May 11, 2002, 02:51   #37
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 10:26
We have this already. It's called Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri.
Old May 11, 2002, 06:30   #38
Panag
Emperor

Quote:

hi , try again it works with 1.21 , as the others start with 4 tech's , so could you , ... or you could have them start with none , including you , .....

have a nice day
Old May 11, 2002, 10:48   #39
Andrew_Jay
Prince

Local Time: 20:56
Perhaps a 5th era that covered the next 300 years or so and had a heavy environmental slant to it. Or even better, structured in such a way that you a large branch full of environmental techs and another full of military techs and you have to choose one or the other, or balance your choices out (one from one line, then your next tech from the other). This would allow your civ to decide whether we'll have a violent, post-apocolyptic future, or one where the environment (and people) survive. Pollution could be worse too, messages like "3 citizens in Tarsus die of cancer from the sun/toxic drinking water/etc."
One of the small or great wonders for envioronmentalism could be Yucca Mountain, where you store your nuclear waste and build a huge monolithic monument on top to warn people in the future.
Old May 11, 2002, 14:49   #40
Metaliturtle
staff
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending StoriesCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMPolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerDiploGamesCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireannApolyton UniversityCivilization II Succession GamesDiplomacyRise of Nations MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCiv4 SP Democracy GameSpore
King

Location: Even if you don't believe in Jesus he believes in you!
Quote:
Originally posted by Mellian:
Probe Teams
Ahh yess, I remember fondly my days on the high school probe team, we were the best probers in wisconsin, and we probed each other so much that had we probed any more, we would have died.

I think the game should stay as is as far as the ages go, because the coding is all weird, if you wanted to you could make new techs in the editor tho
Old May 12, 2002, 17:01   #41
Cookie Monster
King

With all this debate over a fifth era a question popped into my mind.

Has anyone routinely completed all research in Civ3 in their games? I find it very difficult to see how a fifth era could be inserted into the game given the same time constraints that we currently have.
Old May 12, 2002, 18:11   #42
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Haupt. Dietrich

Has anyone routinely completed all research in Civ3 in their games? I find it very difficult to see how a fifth era could be inserted into the game given the same time constraints that we currently have.
hi ,

well since there are so many who have done so allready , ...
and just because "future tech 1" and 2 and 3 and 4 and 5 , gets a bit nervous , some people say the stopped at 28 , .....pfffff , and there is room for more era's and they should expand them , .....

have a nice day
Old May 12, 2002, 18:19   #43
Andrew_Jay
Prince

Local Time: 20:56
True, under the *current* time restraints most people don't finish all the techs, but I think that could be easily changed by making the space ship parts
1. more numerous
2. more costly and
3. their techs at the end of the modern era, or maybe even the start of a 5th era.
The other victories don't really rely on any technology.
Old May 13, 2002, 01:04   #44
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:

I usually complete all the techs in my games. Sometimes I can kill everyone before making it to the end, but usually can.

Of course, this is usually after having reached the modern age around 1500 if not earlier, so, not too hard to get all the techs then.
Old May 13, 2002, 02:08   #45
Jethro83
Prince

Quote:

Simple solution... Send the Mandatory Retirement year forward a couple of centuries.

BTW, I have managed to complete all research by 1960 before, but never any earlier.

I do agree that 2050 is too early to retire if there is to be a fifth era.
Old May 13, 2002, 02:47   #46
FrostyBoy
Emperor

Local Time: 08:26
They're not going to add a fifth era and add new units, cities, etc.

But what they can do is allow us to add it ourselves and adjust everything else so that it all works well.

so retirement, technology, etc, not a problem, can be fixed. (if they allow us to edit them).
Old May 13, 2002, 08:01   #47
Cookie Monster
King

Perhaps I should ask this in the strategy forum but I could use advice for getting to the modern era by 1500ad!

Completing all research by 1960ad! Astonishing. Again I could use some pointers here because it is obvious to me that I'm scientifically retarded!

I can never reach the very beginning of the modern ages before 1940ad. I try to engage in active tech trading or just outright buying so I know that I'm doing that right. But obviously I must be doing something wrong or not doing something right!

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 13, 2002, 15:57   #48
Panag
Emperor

Quote:

Perhaps I should ask this in the strategy forum but I could use advice for getting to the modern era by 1500ad!

Completing all research by 1960ad! Astonishing. Again I could use some pointers here because it is obvious to me that I'm scientifically retarded!

I can never reach the very beginning of the modern ages before 1940ad. I try to engage in active tech trading or just outright buying so I know that I'm doing that right. But obviously I must be doing something wrong or not doing something right!

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!
hi , try to buy library and university as fast as ya can , ....bigger city's , more research ,.....

have a nice day
Old May 13, 2002, 16:28   #49
Carver
Prince

Local Time: 18:26
Quote:

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!
On regent or lower it's difficult (if not impossible) to reach Modern Era by 1500. But on higher levels the AI can research so fast that if you buy the tech you can get there, or close. Personally, the best I've done was a space victory in 1974 - but I rarely play above regent.
Old May 13, 2002, 16:34   #50
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!
Carver is right, really the difficulty level drives this more than anything you specifically do. I usually play on monarch, and sometimes the game just flies by. Also, the map size and type is important, if everyone has contact with everyone else, the tech trade wil be intense, if an archipeligo, will be a lot slower as there will be pockets of scientifically retarded civs.
Old May 13, 2002, 17:58   #51
Cookie Monster
King

Well I'm not ready to graduate to monarch yet, I still play on regent. But I'll keep this in mind............

thanks guys!
Old May 13, 2002, 19:08   #52
Switch
Prince

Re: Fifth Era
Quote:
Originally posted by Mellian
One thing i would like to see in the XP is a Fifth Era I want a future, not just the past and present darnit

In the 5th Era, we could have new wonders like the Space Elevator, Command Nexus (upgrade of the Petagon), Planetary Stock Exchange, Weather Paradign, Virtual World, Longivity Vaccine, etc...

Facilities like Perimeter Defences (replaces City walls and can be built no matter how big your city is), Pressure Domes, Habitat Domes,

New units like better jets/bombers (or simply a merge), Power Armoured Infantry, Rovers, Hovertanks, Gravships, Foils, better Cruisers,

, which will remove the dependence on Oil resources, same with Iron and so on when you discover some tech that allows Synthetic metal.

We should have satellites thing like smac...but better. I want orbital wars darnit
Might have been easier just to say "copy SMAC, but make it a bit better and integrate it with Civ3," eh?
Old May 13, 2002, 19:28   #53
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Re: Re: Fifth Era
Quote:
Originally posted by SwitchMoO

Might have been easier just to say "copy SMAC, but make it a bit better and integrate it with Civ3," eh?

I would like to see a 5th era with smac technologies but without all the planet and fungus garbage. i would like a green civ or govt type, which would reduce pollution at the expense of production, but a planet revolt woudl be ridiculous.

mold the techs and wonders of smax into a part of civ3, but don't mold civ3 into smax2. blech.
Old May 16, 2002, 09:38   #54
XarXo
Prince

Local Time: 00:26
Why Chiron in Alpha Centauri and not Mars? I believe that could be great a space course and see how Mars is changing bit a bit into an habitable planet (see seas raising, making that some ice meteors impact in mars to increase the water mass, etc...). It could be great see this when you have reached Fussion power and Artificial Intelligence for create Space Entities with simple missions.

Well, is my opinion, but I think that sounds great!

--------------

FIRAXIS MUST ADD ICE SHELF AREAS IN CIV III!!!
Old May 16, 2002, 09:53   #55
I-iZ-1337
Chieftain

A n00 eraz wud juzt sux, civ iz about hiztor33 if j00 want a game about the f00ture play CTP.
Old May 20, 2002, 11:23   #56
Cookie Monster
King

Quote:
Originally posted by I-iZ-1337
A n00 eraz wud juzt sux, civ iz about hiztor33 if j00 want a game about the f00ture play CTP.
Actually you do have a point there..............
Old May 20, 2002, 19:10   #57
Jethro83
Prince

I definitely want to see future eras. Though they should revamp the modern era first, since it wasn't done all that well.

But distant future eras would kinda suck. I was thinking more along the lines of the near future, with units like combat mechs and cybers. You know, things that we may be seeing within the next few centuries or so. Not far out things like Hyperdrive modules, and other assorted Star Wars gadgetry.
Old May 20, 2002, 19:17   #58
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by LordAzreal
I definitely want to see future eras. Though they should revamp the modern era first, since it wasn't done all that well.

But distant future eras would kinda suck. I was thinking more along the lines of the near future, with units like combat mechs and cybers. You know, things that we may be seeing within the next few centuries or so. Not far out things like Hyperdrive modules, and other assorted Star Wars gadgetry.
hi ,

wait , just wait , with a bit of luck , .......;when PTW come out , .....

have a nice day
Old May 22, 2002, 16:14   #59
Destroyer
Prince

I heard that when they first started making CIV3 it would link directly in SMAC. What happened to this idea. I think its a bit crappy to end the game once you build your ship. Its still got to get there, and my ones faster anyway!!
Old May 22, 2002, 16:34   #60
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Destroyer
I heard that when they first started making CIV3 it would link directly in SMAC. What happened to this idea. I think its a bit crappy to end the game once you build your ship. Its still got to get there, and my ones faster anyway!!
hi ,

this game is something new , its a one of a kind for the moment , ........you can not compare it with SMAC , ....

its better , its a huge revolution in the industry , ....

have a nice day