Old May 9, 2002, 17:30   #1
winzity
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
Prince

Local Time: 00:26
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Unreiable players
All MP players have play in game with players not showing on agréed times... If they not have posted about it in advance, I think we have good reasons to call them unreiable.

But on the other hand I think it must be a point in a game there a player can resign, this is possible in all other board games!
Old May 9, 2002, 17:52   #2
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Local Time: 19:26
Local Date: October 31, 2010
But what is that point? If you play for 6 hours and determine it's over, I don't have as much problem with that, but if you get off to a bad start and just quit 45 minutes in, I have a problem. (exceptions made for losing your capital in the first 5 turns)
If I wanted that, I guess i could go to the zone.

This model is based more on the One night games, and not the longer running diplo games.
Old May 9, 2002, 18:19   #3
SmartFart
Civilization II MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEM
King

Local Time: 02:26
I started a similar topic few years ago when my addiction to Civ2 mp were at its climax. I still like to play sometimes,but continued games happens very rarely because people have other interests and obligations.
Take me for example. I live in Europe and most players I play against are either Americans or Canadians. That means I have to stay awake until 2am local time and play almost til noon.
My wife shows some understanding (sometimes ),but sometimes I just shut down an alarm clock,curse,and continue with sleeping only to find out other day they had a realy great game.
I may be unreliable,because I say I'll show up,then I don't,but since we mostly playing one session games am pretty much sure nobody really cares about it.

RAH you up for a saturday? I may be if I don't drink all beers on wedding.
Old May 9, 2002, 18:20   #4
winzity
Prince

I am in one game there we plays weekly and will play weekly but I am lost in the game. If other players plays theirs best I am destroyed completelly in next session but they will not... They signed peace treaties just to keep me alive´. I can't do anything! I don't want to sit and just waste 6 hours each week

I had played the last session if they had played normal... I can waste 6 hours to not get called quitter but not 6 hours each week!!!
Old May 9, 2002, 18:35   #5
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 01:26
Quote:
Originally posted by SmartFart
Take me for example. I live in Europe and most players I play against are either Americans or Canadians. That means I have to stay awake until 2am local time and play almost til noon.
A small but determined band of players that play 1x1x deity on european times is forming. Accept my icq add request, and I'll keep you posted on games.
Old May 9, 2002, 18:40   #6
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Yes that the biggest problem for continuing games. After one session one person is so far behind he has to be helped or ignored to really survive. After the second session one more person follows suit. And since we start with 4, now it's basically a duel and I'd rather play with 4. Or after one round, one player is so far ahead that the other three would have to gang up on him to do anything.

Actually in most of the games that i've been in that were continued were games that I had a bad start but was willing to continue. At least I stayed close enough to keep it interesting.

THe best way to continue a game is to have all four players about even after the first night. (it don't happen often) Then you can at least get a second night in. Unfortunately it's seldom that we have 4 players at the same skill level, so it's quite a trick to keep everyone even, and that alone can take some of the fun out.

So I'm resigned to one night stands, but as long as I have fun, it's not that bad.

RAH
Old May 9, 2002, 18:58   #7
SmartFart
King

Quote:
Originally posted by DrSpike

A small but determined band of players that play 1x1x deity on european times is forming. Accept my icq add request, and I'll keep you posted on games.
You must be refering to my old account which is no longer in use for quite some time.
My new account is in my profile and it should be authorization free.
Looking forward to play you and other fellow Europeans.
Old May 9, 2002, 19:04   #8
Mr Bunny
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:26
You can't resign in Risk. The game is then ruined for the rest of the players.
Old May 9, 2002, 19:09   #9
rah
lifer
Just another peon

As far as I'm concerned you should never have to resign a risk game. If the whole game takes longer than 90 minutes, you're not really playing the game, you're having a love fest. And in a 90 minute game, most people are competitive for at least the first 60 minutes. Anyone should be able to put up with 30 minutes, especially since that's the fun part.

RAH
Old May 9, 2002, 19:16   #10
winzity
Prince

It was 30 mins not 6 hours each week, and it don't address the important question of play your best! I would be eliminated from the game if they had played their best already. Why keept lost players in the game?

Killing weaks civs is a part of the game!
Old May 9, 2002, 19:35   #11
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Yes, I prefer a quick knive to the chinese water torture.
That's a fatal weakness of Diplogames. The concept is to infuence the game no mater how little you have the power to do it. I don't define that as fun. I say, put the ****er out of his misery.
Old May 9, 2002, 19:46   #12
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by rah
I say, put the ****er out of his misery.
True enough...
But in our standard four person games... if it's early, and I run into somebodies second free starting settler, I now wonder if I should kill it. Because if I do, he will probably whine enough to get people to agree to start over, and if I have a good start, I just know the next game, it will be my second free settler getting killed

And are you still at work Rah... are you waiting for a job to run?
Old May 9, 2002, 20:17   #13
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

i too am tired of the one night stands.......but i think the best way to play games for more than one session is for you guyz to agree to x1x1 games.....

its slow.....but it teaches you the finer points in the game (all over again) and it can guarrantee a few sessions.....not too mention, alot of warfare and a different defensive system

simul turns (good or bad) go to Turn Based when you meet, can speed the game right up.....i remember some 7 player games with markus and others where we got to 1ad in an hour.....turns were done in 30 secs max so the game actually flew.....

those games MDL and other variations of that were alot of fun and are sorely missed..

i like x2 civ....but its nice to play x1 too
Old May 9, 2002, 20:19   #14
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 01:26
Quote:
Originally posted by War4ever
i too am tired of the one night stands.......
hehe, a lifestyle change War?
Old May 9, 2002, 21:04   #15
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

not just yet
Old May 9, 2002, 21:54   #16
rah
lifer
Just another peon

I don't see how 1x or 2x makes any difference to continueing games. Someone is still gonna be far behind and rather start a new one. 1x just means you won't get as far in the first session. It's fine when you're playing the computer but with some of the slower people it's like watching grass grow.
Old May 9, 2002, 23:10   #17
War4ever
Emperor

in x1 games that lead isn't as huge Rah......and continuing is a necessity...
Old May 9, 2002, 23:13   #18
markusf
King

Quote:
Originally posted by rah
I don't see how 1x or 2x makes any difference to continueing games. Someone is still gonna be far behind and rather start a new one. 1x just means you won't get as far in the first session. It's fine when you're playing the computer but with some of the slower people it's like watching grass grow.

makes a huge difference and 1x is a hell of a lot faster then 2x after democracy. 2x is sooooooo slow, and you don't do anything but mass produce units and build on unattackable terrain. In 1x you have to plan things carefully, and no matter how bad things look you always have a chance. 2x is just about who has the most cities, even on diety. I think most people who have played both settings agree that 1x games are a LOT better then 2x.
Old May 9, 2002, 23:28   #19
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Most people... hmmm... Many of the people I know who have played both, prefer 2x. But I do think that has a lot to do with the fact that you usually can't get the same bunch together again, so it's usually a one night stand.

It's just a matter of opinion...

If you play a 1x game, and you don't find any grassland, you are totally screwed... at least in 2x games, you can build on anything, instead of wandering for grassland that you might not find for a while.
Old May 10, 2002, 09:01   #20
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Rivers are much more important in 1x games. Just another thing that unbalances the starts. (on top of Hut luck)

RAH
Old May 10, 2002, 12:56   #21
War4ever
Emperor

roads and irrigation are important in x1 games.... the game is completely different depending on tthe settings you play....x2x2 is way different than x2x1 , which in turn is very different from x1x1

whatever works....no one is going to win the debate as to which is better civ.....but variety is the spice of life!!

step out on a limb...lets play x1x1
Old May 10, 2002, 13:08   #22
markusf
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Ming
Most people... hmmm... Many of the people I know who have played both, prefer 2x. But I do think that has a lot to do with the fact that you usually can't get the same bunch together again, so it's usually a one night stand.

It's just a matter of opinion...

If you play a 1x game, and you don't find any grassland, you are totally screwed... at least in 2x games, you can build on anything, instead of wandering for grassland that you might not find for a while.
Put it this way, all the really good players perfer 1x.. Thats because 2x just gets to boring and repetitive after a while.. There is only one strat..
Old May 10, 2002, 14:00   #23
Ming
lifer
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by markusf
There is only one strat..
And this differs how from the 1x1x crank out settlers and race through the govs to republic single strategy...
Old May 10, 2002, 16:03   #24
markusf
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Ming

And this differs how from the 1x1x crank out settlers and race through the govs to republic single strategy...
you don't understand... in diety you can't build more then 6-10 cities before 1000 bc or you will die. you have to build temples, marketplaces etc. In 2x you don't need to build a single improvement.. Your empire has to be ready for republic before you can switch. Some players like SF just play in monarchy...
Old May 10, 2002, 18:27   #25
SmartFart
King

Quote:
Originally posted by markusf

Some players like SF just play in monarchy...
If I miss the Pyramids,I'll go to rep as well. Otherwise,there's no need for celebrating in x2x1.
In one session games I mean.