Old May 9, 2002, 22:36   #1
StrategicKingMi
Warlord

Local Time: 00:27
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Wonders are obsolete!
Most players are so lazy that they have come to rely on wonders to win games. I was like this, much like man walked on all fours in prehistoric days. I have evolved past the need for wonder construction. I will beat the hell out of anybody who wants to accept the following challenge.
1) random or premade large board with no dominate cont
2) human starting positions revealed so that they can be spread out as far as possible.
3) restarts and replays to ensure huts or random land dont screw up the game before government change.
4) no light house as it is the one wonder whos effects can not be countered fast enough
5) I will build no wonders other then mageleons and then only if I get it done first ( if game lasts to darwins voyage and hoover dam, I will build advanced wonders such as them)
6) 2 x 2 king of course

If you think a wonder is needed. I will tell you why you dont need it. Post a reply, I will educate you....
Old May 9, 2002, 23:06   #2
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 19:27
Local Date: October 31, 2010

And this from a guy who has to create a new log on every time he wants to post because he can't figure out his old one
Old May 9, 2002, 23:13   #3
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 16:27
i thought you said you wouldn't build ANY wonders..much less magellans duh! and darwins..gee...you want to play as the only person with a nice vet navy...how very kind
Old May 9, 2002, 23:21   #4
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Re: Wonders are obsolete!
Quote:
Originally posted by StrategicKingMi
2) human starting positions revealed so that they can be spread out as far as possible.
Oh yes... heaven forbid that you might have to deal with an agressive neighbor... might mess up your little strategy
Must be a "true" genius...

Oh yes... and king level to boot... but that's right, you don't want to have to build any units for martial law... so that's why you don't want anybody near you...
"true" genius...

Maybe you should "educate" yourself how to play at different settings... "true" genius...
Old May 10, 2002, 06:38   #5
Hydey
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 10:27
I will bite
please list all the wonders and tell my why I should not build them ?

Please teach me oh master

Hydey the no-limits man. :(
Old May 10, 2002, 08:37   #6
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

I challange anyone to play be and observe by GREATNESS.

Every turn will be a masterpiece of godhood (which requires at least 20 -30 minutes prior to 3000 b.c. and much longer afterwards)
You will eventually pick up that pistol and blow your brains out in between turns from boredom. And I will once again prove that I am unbeatable.

Who wants to play
Old May 10, 2002, 08:42   #7
StrategicKingMi
Warlord

My computer blew up internally. All passwords, all e-mail adress's were lost not to mention 6 of my favorite A-Team episodes that I slowly, painfully downloaded.
Games where you start too close never lead anywhere. They are either decided by land or huts. And if that manages to be fair, about 1 in 20 will be, then game is decided by horses or drags on endlessly. I have done this to death. I have played every way you can possible play. 2 x 2, 1 x 1, 3 x 3, 4 x 4, 2 x 1, 4 x 2, 4,x 1 etc. Med boards, small boards, team games and an endless array of other combinations. Ming, you obviously dont understand what I am looking for. I want a game that can be even going into 2000 or after. I want a game that you can build massive armys and fight with linear lines of modern units, both land and sea. I want a game where you build the infrastructure first then war later.
Make no mistake, if money was motivation , I could play extremely well on any settings and be more then a match verse anyone in the world. However, I play what I like, what entertains me, what I have fun with. I dont play hardly at all, but when I do, I want it to lead somewhere. if your so good, I dont know since we have never played, then take me up on my challenge.
And as far as mageleons goes, I wont build it if you dont. However , that two extra moves is an advantage that can not be duplicated by any method from the other side.
Every other wonder can be duplicated or made obsolete.
Great Wall on a game like this is useless since tech will come fast and furious.
Pyramids is not that big cause Ill be in republic and celebrating. i dont build small citys, I build 3 person citys with 3 settlers so they can celebrate.
Hanging Gardens sucks since only a handfull of citys need grow big. Market places in thoose citys will do the same thing and they will pay for themselves in 5-7 turns.
Mikes is uneeded since my big citys will have temples and markets and 3 routes each. Smaller citys will be kept small so they dont revolt.
Leos, in a game like this is uneeded since combat with modern units will come after tech is done and infrastructure laid and early units just hurt your infrastructure or trade route establishment.
Statue is only good for fundy but that is a losing strategy verse a democracy.
Deity just slows the game down and prevents growth. 1 x anything also just slows the game down and drastically increase the effect of bad land and bad huts that are overcomeable in 2 x 2. Under thoose settings the game just does not advance fast enough for me and i lose intrest.
Old May 10, 2002, 08:50   #8
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 01:27
I think it's time to start gathering amusing guesses at what the Mi would actually be.

I'll start. Mindless?
Old May 10, 2002, 10:06   #9
Ming
lifer
Retired

Quote:
My computer blew up internally. All passwords, all e-mail adress's were lost
Your password has been the same for your last few accounts, including your current one. All you had to do was change the email address in your profile... or is that asking to much of somebody with your level of genius

Quote:
Ming, you obviously dont understand what I am looking for.
Oh... I totally understand. You are looking for a game where your strategy can work. Again, heavin forbid an aggressive neighbor comes a calling on you.

And from reading through your Wonders comments... you assume that combat will only happen in the later era's... Well yeah, keep everybody far apart and you do keep combat our of the early part of the game... but that's right, your system doesn't work if that's the case

Quote:
Deity just slows the game down and prevents growth.
Yeah, wouldn't want you to have to actually build some defensive units early in the game...

So blah, blah, blah... another "genius" who claims he is the best, but only if you play on his settings
Old May 10, 2002, 10:06   #10
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

"Reveal Human Starting Positions". What a weiner.
Old May 10, 2002, 10:08   #11
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

And Strat, be quiet.
Old May 10, 2002, 12:27   #12
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by SlowwHand
"Reveal Human Starting Positions". What a weiner.
must be a zone thing !!
Old May 10, 2002, 21:02   #13
StrategicKingMi
Warlord

Mi stands for Michigan. I dont know why I try with you people. You all must be mindless robots by now , playing the same game time in and time again. Verse the same players , who play the same way. Playing a game in which huts and land control your fate 90 % of the time.
And Ming , I am tired of your degrading talk to one of the greatest players ever to slip the CD into a computer.
Thus, just to show you your place in the civ world, which is several levels below me. I am calling you out. Your settings in a 1 on 1 duel. Of course each indvidual game is meaningless thus I suggest a best or 3, all your settings.
I doubt you will have the grapefruits to back up your Strate bashing, which puzzels me since I made a legit challenge.
I thought that is what this forum is for anyways..............
Now back to the non-sense....Ming... start typing
Old May 10, 2002, 21:55   #14
SuperSneak
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I can beat you without even playing!
Done!
never neglectful, never indulgent.
Old May 10, 2002, 22:05   #15
DrSpike
Deity

Quote:
Thus, just to show you your place in the civ world, which is several levels below me. I am calling you out. Your settings in a 1 on 1 duel.
You can't refuse a challenge like that Ming.
Old May 10, 2002, 22:10   #16
DrFell
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Is small map king 2x2x large land continental ok?
Old May 10, 2002, 22:43   #17
StrategicKingMi
Warlord

Dont forget, Mister Fell, I was a great 2 x 2 all 1 cont player in my day.
I doubt I will need much to dispatch Ming back to the realm of all talk and no go.
Old May 10, 2002, 23:41   #18
deity
DiploGamesCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 12:27
Quote:
Mi stands for Michigan. I dont know why I try with you people. You all must be mindless robots by now , playing the same game time in and time again. Verse the same players , who play the same way. Playing a game in which huts and land control your fate 90 % of the time.
And Ming , I am tired of your degrading talk to one of the greatest players ever to slip the CD into a computer.
Thus, just to show you your place in the civ world, which is several levels below me. I am calling you out. Your settings in a 1 on 1 duel. Of course each indvidual game is meaningless thus I suggest a best or 3, all your settings.
I doubt you will have the grapefruits to back up your Strate bashing, which puzzels me since I made a legit challenge.
I thought that is what this forum is for anyways..............
Now back to the non-sense....Ming... start typing
We've got a few interesting games underway right now - two long-running diplos. They are 1x1x Deity level but we like trying out special rules and in these we have NO tech trading or stealing, NO alliances, NO gifting of anything and each civ ONLY has the ability to build ONE Wonder.

I think it's fun to try out new and interesting parameters and I keep playing NEW folks all the time. In addition our regular Aussie group has several long-running games underway - with a variety of settings and rules. I find King level and 2x production way to simple and tend to favour Deity 1x1x
Old May 11, 2002, 00:35   #19
Deity Dude
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 20:27
As posted by stratking:

This no longer is about who is an *******,

OR...

who can only play on what settings.

I think this is an honest, open challenge. On top of that, it concedes the "home court advantage" to Ming.

Ming, the way I see it, you can refuse the challenge but you can't criticize Strat for the challenge. He has offered you a best of three UNDER YOUR SETTINGS.

BTW - if Ming refuses I'm ready for you Strat.
Old May 11, 2002, 03:08   #20
markusf
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Deity Dude

Ming, the way I see it, you can refuse the challenge but you can't criticize Strat for the challenge. He has offered you a best of three UNDER YOUR SETTINGS.
Hed never play ming on the settings he perfers..

If he did we can make bets on his first "disconnection" / ask for restart!. I say 4000 bc
Old May 11, 2002, 07:06   #21
Hydey
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 10:27
I am willing to place some hard earned Aussie $ on the frogman himself. Go Mingy Go

Hydey the no-limits man. :(
Old May 11, 2002, 09:17   #22
StrategicKingMi
Warlord

Typical Apolyton "In Crowd" mentality. If he is not part of your group, he cant possibly win. How pathetic.
Just because I play 2 x 2 king cause it offers the most fluent way to play and takes less time to get where your going, doesnt mean I cant play other ways.
Still missing is an acceptance by big mouth Strate bashing Ming.
Whats the matter, time to put up or shut up and you put your fingers between your legs and run for the hills?
Typical of Apolytoners when faced down by me, happens all the time....4 years and running now..
Old May 11, 2002, 09:24   #23
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 02:27
Back on topic

Since when does the challenge include your opponent not being able to build lighthouse?

Also I thought you restricted the number of city's you would build.

Btw do you think you stand any chance if I too go straight to navagation and beat you to it?

And with me building 100+ city's I'd think Mike and Bach might come in handy, after all mike is only 400 shields or 10 temples.

But yeah I'll take you up on that challenge, and would suggest ALL naval wonders being off limits or it might turn out just being a race for Magalans...
Old May 11, 2002, 09:41   #24
DrSpike
Deity

Quote:
Typical Apolyton "In Crowd" mentality.
Not at all. The challenge is fair, as a couple of us have posted, and Ming should take it. That way he can keep strate bashing as you call it. Of course we would like to see Ming win, he is an Apolytoner after all. But I hope you play, and I hope it is a good competitive game.
Old May 11, 2002, 09:57   #25
StrategicKingMi
Warlord

The key is that each of my citys will have a different job.
1) Big citys will have 3 routes, a bank, a market and a temple +aquaduct and celebrate easy to 12 and produce monster income from routes.
2) Unit citys will be kept small with barracks to pump out vet units or ships.
3) Planned revolt citys will be a city that I home city units in untill all resources are used and since it will produce no trade, I dont care if it revolts.
4) settler citys do just that, they have a high food production and are kept small to produce settlers for infrastructure and new citys.
In all 4, happy wonders can be rendered uneeded with good placement and micromanagement.
Plus, to build thoose wonders , you need caravans. I can turn thoose caravans into routes that for 8, will pay 2000 gold.
2000 gold will buy 30 temples. And a caravan will be paid for by extra gold production in citys in about 10 turns.
Markets also are a monsterous advantagous project that most players dont build, I love them and now know how to use them for massive profit.
Old May 11, 2002, 12:28   #26
Ming
lifer
Retired

If he promises not to take a half hour a turn before 2500 it might be interesting... but I have no interest in playing a self centered "genius" who wants to waste my time while he micro manages during his turn. I have better things to do with my life then wait on him. I actually have a life... unlike him.

So I will continue to abuse him on his claiming he's number one on his silly settings, and the fact that we should all wait half an hour while he takes a turn early in the game. Because that's just rude.
Old May 11, 2002, 12:36   #27
War4ever
Emperor

*ding* *popcorns is ready and i have my choice of seats*
Old May 11, 2002, 13:03   #28
DrSpike
Deity

I think everyone would like to see this clash of the titans.

Strate a player of your stature can play quicker right? If you are able to then maybe Ming will play you.

Maybe he shouldn't make silly settings jokes after your any settings challenge, but come on, that much microing is ridiculous.
Old May 11, 2002, 13:31   #29
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

Local Time: 20:27
What is up with all the muppets?

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah
Old May 11, 2002, 14:29   #30
War4ever
Emperor

check out a different' thread...either the setting up muppets ip thread, or the "iam the greatest in the world thread by evil prophet....

you will see my posts there that started this whole muppet thingy