Old May 10, 2002, 10:53   #1
pocket_lint
Settler

Local Time: 21:28
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Road build question...
I was trying to build a road system to link a mountain that has gems to my city and from that city to a 2nd city. For some reason my worker will not build a road on the tile with the mountain and gem. You can build a road on a mountain, right? Also, in order to get the benefits of gems do I have to have 2 cities linked by roads to the gems or could I just have 1 city linked to the gems. Thanks for the info.
Old May 10, 2002, 11:04   #2
Laertes
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 00:28
Local Date: November 1, 2010
You can build roads in mountains. Are you sure you have not already got one there (they can be difficult to see).

You need to have the gems in your boundaries to get the benefit, or else build a colony. If you are going to build a colony, do not waste the time building the road, you get an automatic connection to adjacent roads from the colony.

Only cities that are connected to the gems (however indirectly, you can connect via harbours eventually) get the benefit. So if you have a city that is not connected to any other cities or the gems directly, it will not get the benefit.
Old May 10, 2002, 11:23   #3
pocket_lint
Settler

I thought you could build roads on mountains. I definitely don't have a road on it yet. In fact, while my worker is on that particular tile, I don't even have the road build icon to even select and when I just hit the "R" key nothing happens. That was my last action of the game last night. Guess I'll just try and give it another shot later on.
Old May 10, 2002, 12:06   #4
Alex
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by pocket_lint
I thought you could build roads on mountains. I definitely don't have a road on it yet. In fact, while my worker is on that particular tile, I don't even have the road build icon to even select and when I just hit the "R" key nothing happens. That was my last action of the game last night. Guess I'll just try and give it another shot later on.
If you say that you don't even have the build road icon when your worker is on that tile, then are you sure that there is not a road already there? Try right-clicking the mountain tile, if there is commerce being generated, then the road must be there.
Old May 10, 2002, 12:36   #5
Bella Hella
Prince

Local Time: 19:28
i agree that the road is probably alraedy there. also if you have a colony on the square, it's considered to have a road on it already. this confused me a lot when i was starting out.

to have all cities get the benefit, make sure you have roads connecting them all.
Old May 10, 2002, 12:54   #6
pocket_lint
Settler

Hmmm....ok will do. I will check to make sure I didn't already put a road there. I suppose it could be possible. It was late at night. I finally understand that "...just one more turn..." mentality. Haha.
Old May 10, 2002, 17:24   #7
Grrr
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 13:28
Build a colony.
Old May 10, 2002, 17:46   #8
Tuberski

I notices with road and railroads that a lot of time if the square in question is on the corner of your roaded terrain, the road does not really look like it is IN the square.......but it is.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old May 11, 2002, 15:27   #9
Purple
Prince

Simple to test: just try moving a unit into and out of the tile in question during the same turn.