Old May 10, 2002, 15:04   #1
HazieDaVampire
King

Local Time: 00:29
Local Date: November 1, 2010
AHHHH, i cant RAZE it!
In my current game Inda has a city (The last city) on a tiny island thats only 1 square big, so i have no space to put units on that island to take the city!
Anybody got any ideas how i can destroy it, i don't realy want it, i just want to RAZE it! I don't have leathal bombardment on. So is it possible to destroy this city, or is it a game fault!?
Old May 10, 2002, 15:06   #2
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 18:29
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Marines off a transport assualt the city directly.
Old May 10, 2002, 15:08   #3
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 17:29
Marines -- only unit that can do it.

Only other option I can think of is to trade cities. I assume you're at war with them -- offer peace, on condition that they trade you that city for one of their captured cities which you now control -- offer them Bombay back and they will almost certainly make the trade, but if you have to, offer them two or threre of their former cities.

And then off course raze the recently traded, and now land accessible, remaining Indian cities.

Old May 10, 2002, 15:14   #4
HazieDaVampire
King

i'm not at war with them no more, and i have no more of their citys, the first one i got i gave to germany as a gift to make them like me! And then suddenly everybody joined my war against india and they took all the citys (Babylon had about 50 units martching about the place), oh well my marines will sort'em out!
Old May 10, 2002, 16:06   #5
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 19:29
Quote:
Originally posted by HazieDaVampire
i'm not at war with them no more, and i have no more of their citys, the first one i got i gave to germany as a gift to make them like me! And then suddenly everybody joined my war against india and they took all the citys (Babylon had about 50 units martching about the place), oh well my marines will sort'em out!
i love it when the whole world sees that i'm winning a war, and they all jump in for a piece of the failing empire.
Old May 10, 2002, 16:47   #6
HazieDaVampire
King

lol, the AI is still showering me with tricks
Old May 10, 2002, 17:20   #7
Grrr
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 13:29
The AI in 1.21 seems a lot more nasty than previous versions.
Old May 10, 2002, 18:46   #8
HazieDaVampire
King

hell yeah, lol, Egyptions took berlin! The German infantry beat the odds for a while, but odds caught up with them. I'm now in a bit of a peaceful stailmate, i cant declare war on anybody without a MPP being activated and have everbody onto me (Kinda like a chain reaction).
Old May 10, 2002, 19:04   #9
zulu9812
King

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
Marines off a transport assualt the city directly.
This is why 1-tile islands become strongholds. They're actually really handy as military staging posts.
Old May 10, 2002, 19:15   #10
HazieDaVampire
King

lol, i mite make a new map with quite a few of those!
Old May 10, 2002, 19:25   #11
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

This is exactly why I leave one continental city behind and ask for all island cities as tribute. That way you avoid these problems. Hate having to biuld a navy just to take that last city half the map away.
Old May 10, 2002, 19:46   #12
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 20:29
Quote:
Originally posted by zulu9812
This is why 1-tile islands become strongholds. They're actually really handy as military staging posts.
How often do you see those usually?
I'm playing on a random map, so I'm not sure what the terrain looks like yet (100BC or so I think). I'm sure that on island maps there must be a fair amount of them though.
Old May 10, 2002, 19:58   #13
Tuberski

I haven't actually seen any yet, the smallest Island I have seen is four squares.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old May 10, 2002, 20:34   #14
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuberski
I haven't actually seen any yet, the smallest Island I have seen is four squares.
I've seen several one square islands in games. They are few and far between, however. The AI seems to hunt them out.I've had a pangea map where there was a one square island off the coast, and I've had archipelogoes where there was one too, so its just pretty random
Old May 10, 2002, 20:50   #15
Tuberski

Doesn't it seem funny to anybody that some people say they see things happen and others don't?

Like, for instance, Artillery. Some people say the AI uses them offensively, while others (me included) have never seen it.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old May 10, 2002, 20:52   #16
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

Personally, I haven't even seen Civ III run with any of the new patches.
Old May 10, 2002, 20:58   #17
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:
Doesn't it seem funny to anybody that some people say they see things happen and others don't?

Like, for instance, Artillery. Some people say the AI uses them offensively, while others (me included) have never seen it.
Well, I just checked my saves, and the game that was on was deleted, probably a month ago. The closest I had in the directory was a 2 tile island. GRRRR!!!!! (does this mean that I am one of THOSE people? Lump me in with the Tank-Spearmen guys, I guess )
Old May 10, 2002, 21:35   #18
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 11:29
I've seen 1-tile islands before, but they generally tend to be mountains, so you can't build cities on them.
Old May 10, 2002, 22:04   #19
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by GeneralTacticus
I've seen 1-tile islands before, but they generally tend to be mountains, so you can't build cities on them.
and those mountains usualy have one of the 3 sources of coal on a map
Old May 10, 2002, 22:21   #20
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel

Well, I just checked my saves, and the game that was on was deleted, probably a month ago. The closest I had in the directory was a 2 tile island. GRRRR!!!!! (does this mean that I am one of THOSE people? Lump me in with the Tank-Spearmen guys, I guess )
No, I didn't mean it like that, I just mean that these games seem to have a lot of variation from computer to computer. No, you are not one of THOSE people.
Yet

Old May 10, 2002, 22:28   #21
Jon Shafer

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
and those mountains usualy have one of the 3 sources of coal on a map
In my newest game the only accessable source of iron is in the middle of a bunch of jungle and mountain spaces, and since my settlers can cross neither, I have to build a ship (and research is going sllloooooowwwww), pick up a settler in another city (not much production in that city), wheel all the way around the continent, and plant a city on the 1 hill space in the middle of a mountain range, then build 2 harbors, and then I'll be able to build swordsmen finally (nearly AD). Bad thing is, I'm currently in a war with Russia (I moved down a small peninsula they were on, and they only have one city left... they should only last a few more turns now ), and there are barbarians EVERYWHERE. Especially ships, which makes it hard to get my boat across to the other side of the continent. Sheesh.
Old May 10, 2002, 22:28   #22
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:

No, I didn't mean it like that, I just mean that these games seem to have a lot of variation from computer to computer. No, you are not one of THOSE people.
Yet

well, I will be on guard and keep weird saves. I certainly don't want to become one of THOSE people, who can't back up what they say they've seen in the game.
Old May 10, 2002, 22:58   #23
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

atw. Why? Nobody else does.

BTW. I can't access most of my old saves. Pre 1.21f games come up with errors loading.

However, let's throw Tuberski a bone. Tube. Fire up the editor. Open the Huge Earth Map scenario. You'll find 2 single tile islands.
Old May 10, 2002, 23:00   #24
Tuberski

I'm at work. I'm also NOT doubting you, I see things in my games that nobody else has mentioned. I just think it is strange not AATW.

Geez.

Old May 10, 2002, 23:17   #25
notyoueither
Deity

No problem Tuberski. Just thought I'd let you know where you could see it.

BTW. Yes, there should be a lot of reports of geography that many people haven't seen. There are 243 different combinations of Land Form, Climate, Temperature, and Age. Throw in World Size and you have 1215 different settings for randomly generated maps.
Old May 10, 2002, 23:24   #26
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:
I'm at work. I'm also NOT doubting you, I see things in my games that nobody else has mentioned. I just think it is strange not AATW.

Geez.

haha, no big deal man, I know what you were saying.

What I would like to see is a randomly created starting position on a one tile island. That would be fricking hilarious. Of course, it would be so easy to fake.
Old May 10, 2002, 23:26   #27
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 11:29
There are actually a few ways to assault a 1-tile city.

The first and most obvious is the marines from a transport.

Another way is to nuke the city, and just move your defence unit into the rubble. You probably won't even get pollution from this.

Also, bombarding then finishing the defenders off with cruise missiles is also possible (if you have land close to the city or can transport the missiles).

One final way is if you have set some artillery units to be able to kill off defenders. Then your ships / bombers / artillery could kill the defenders and then you move your unit into the empty city.

All in all though, unless you have a nuke lying around marines would be the way to go.
Old May 10, 2002, 23:27   #28
ALPHA WOLF 64
Prince

I see one every few games. And the AIs make straight for them. usually i see lots of 2 tile islands. I put 2 warriors there, one to guard the city, and one for the beaches. No AI marines have ever shown up.
Old May 10, 2002, 23:30   #29
notyoueither
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
There are actually a few ways to assault a 1-tile city.

The first and most obvious is the marines from a transport.

Another way is to nuke the city, and just move your defence unit into the rubble. You probably won't even get pollution from this.

Also, bombarding then finishing the defenders off with cruise missiles is also possible (if you have land close to the city or can transport the missiles).

One final way is if you have set some artillery units to be able to kill off defenders. Then your ships / bombers / artillery could kill the defenders and then you move your unit into the empty city.

All in all though, unless you have a nuke lying around marines would be the way to go.
Can any unit unload into an undefended city? I guess it wouldn't be too common to create the situation. But it would be one more argument against lethal bombardment of land units.
Old May 10, 2002, 23:52   #30
Jon Shafer

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
Can any unit unload into an undefended city?
Yes.
It's only a matter of whether a unit is present or not (or unless the terrain prohibits certain units to move there).