Old May 10, 2002, 22:53   #1
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Local Time: 19:30
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Beyond Alpha Centauri:::: Discussion Thread 5
I thought I would go ahead and start another thread. 500 hundred was comming up fast.

Mr. President: Nice to see the soccer inclusion. I'll have to be sure and include some Spartan sports.

as for the title. Just advise people about different aspects of the field.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Sprayber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2002, 23:41   #2
Lonestar
inmate
King

Local Time: 20:30
I'm just here to say howdy. Howdy!
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2002, 00:38   #3
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 10:30
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Howdy, Lonestar.

Questions about engineering can now head over my way.

Sam's adventures will only get crazier in the future. I'm planning to have the Razorwings travel to play international club matches in future posts.

In addition, would there be interest in doing/reading a World Cup-type event involving BAC states, in honor of the upcoming real-life soccer tournament? If so, I'd be glad to write/co-write it.
Old May 11, 2002, 00:41   #4
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Lonestar
I'm just here to say howdy. Howdy!

Howdy .

For the non-Americans who don't know, thats how we southerners say hello.

Kass/Mellian: I was looking through some sites and found this cool site on Star furies. It has paint and marker schemes from various fighters including personal star furies for the command staff. Very cool stuff as I did not realize that they were that detailed on some of them.

http://starshipmodeler.com/b5/starfury.htm
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old May 11, 2002, 00:47   #5
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. President
Howdy, Lonestar.

Questions about engineering can now head over my way.

Sam's adventures will only get crazier in the future. I'm planning to have the Razorwings travel to play international club matches in future posts.

In addition, would there be interest in doing/reading a World Cup-type event involving BAC states, in honor of the upcoming real-life soccer tournament? If so, I'd be glad to write/co-write it.

I had been toying with the idea of having a Spartan Games along the same lines that I had in CC. Events involving different fighting styles, and the more traditional atlethic type events. (no events that the Spartans would consider trivial) But you can use Spartan teams if you want. Just note that the participants would tend to be in their late teens since most adults have already gone to military tasks. Maybe teams from different military schools inside Sparta. And all Spartan teams have both men and women in them.
Old May 11, 2002, 02:38   #6
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sprayber
I had been toying with the idea of having a Spartan Games along the same lines that I had in CC. Events involving different fighting styles, and the more traditional atlethic type events. (no events that the Spartans would consider trivial) But you can use Spartan teams if you want. Just note that the participants would tend to be in their late teens since most adults have already gone to military tasks. Maybe teams from different military schools inside Sparta. And all Spartan teams have both men and women in them.
Very egalitarian.

Spartan Games would be fun. Feel free to use Drone and Firaxian athletes in that. I don't know if they'd be good or not.

I'm getting an idea . . . How hard do Spartans tackle? Seriously, I'll think of some appropriate team names and probably write some more next week.
Old May 11, 2002, 05:42   #7
Mr. President
Emperor

I was just digging through some ancient AC-Fiction threads, and I remembered one Argonaut, who was involved in the Chiron Chronicles for a long time. His last post was way back here , and there's been no word since then. He just fell off the face of Apolyton. Anybody have any idea what may have become of him?
Old May 11, 2002, 09:55   #8
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
I was just digging through some ancient AC-Fiction threads, and I remembered one Argonaut, who was involved in the Chiron Chronicles for a long time. His last post was way back here , and there's been no word since then. He just fell off the face of Apolyton. Anybody have any idea what may have become of him?

I don't know what ever became of him. He had said that his time would be limited on poly becuase of different reasons. He then showed up in that thread you posted and asked for the angels and never came back. I would have love for him to write for BAC.

As for the Spartan teams. when a child turns 16 he/she goes to a school desiged to prepare them for thier future career, often determined by government officials depending on scores on varies tests.

From 16-20 they remain in these schools.

The schools are
Military schools(Mainly prep work for the different branches)
More hard core than all other schools

Science Schools(Engineering, Computer, Medical,)
Basic military training also takes place

If you use any Spartan teams, remember that the Spartans will usually work together but there will be a clear leader of the team on the field. Also remember that they are still human and will occasional smile and celebrate(although in a subdued manner) when they win.

Old May 11, 2002, 12:41   #9
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 18:30
Whoops, bang, woosh...(that's the noise of History Guy coming in and tripping over a discarded shredder pistol).

Sorry for my inactivity. Busy week. Busy time. Summer is coming, the geese are getting hot, put a penny in the poor box slot...or something...Anyway, I'll be gone in June for 2 weeks, and again I shall be absent for about three weeks in July...tough stuff, Summer.

Anyway, hopefully today I will finally get that post done and posted. It won't be much, just a failed Pirate attack, a bit of the Morgan anthem, etc. Mellian, the station is not too far from the recently seized stations. It's about 23 or so minutes away, in fact. Half an hour has passed since the first Pirate attacks.

Mr. President--

(OK, let me hop into my garbage war-ship and get that post written...)
History Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2002, 12:50   #10
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 03:30
Howdy!
I got so excited of playing Final Fantasy IX that I forgot Apolyton. Yes, it's possible.

Sprayner: Good link to the Starfuries. Thanks.

There's stuff about the Earth education system on my website, could it be this? (Under "Everyday life on Earth" or something to that effect).
Old May 11, 2002, 14:19   #11
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Well, here we go. Another post to join them countless onions...err...minions. Well, the Terrans have taken Naxos, and the Morganites and Terrans have a cease fire. The Pirates have been forced to cease fire as well, by their own masters. Calgacus, the military station, is abandoned and exploded. It looks like peace has broken out!
Old May 11, 2002, 20:33   #12
Mr. President
Emperor

Quote:

I don't know what ever became of him. He had said that his time would be limited on poly becuase of different reasons. He then showed up in that thread you posted and asked for the angels and never came back. I would have love for him to write for BAC.

As for the Spartan teams. when a child turns 16 he/she goes to a school desiged to prepare them for thier future career, often determined by government officials depending on scores on varies tests.

From 16-20 they remain in these schools.

The schools are
Military schools(Mainly prep work for the different branches)
More hard core than all other schools

Science Schools(Engineering, Computer, Medical,)
Basic military training also takes place

If you use any Spartan teams, remember that the Spartans will usually work together but there will be a clear leader of the team on the field. Also remember that they are still human and will occasional smile and celebrate(although in a subdued manner) when they win.

Thanks, I'll definitely make a note of that. For now I've just been using my VB Notepad to keep notes on my enemies. I suspect Spartan teams would be quite disciplined on the field. I'm thinking of the Italian World Cup teams of 1990 and 1994 as models for their style of play.
Old May 11, 2002, 20:39   #13
History Guy
King

Well, what should I do next postwise? Lonestar, what will Morgan have to do for CHOAM? Franky, how will Yang respond to Morgan?

Mr. President-- Hey! We've got a great Field Croquet Team, maybe we can play against the mighty Drone team...
Old May 11, 2002, 20:45   #14
Mr. President
Emperor

Is field croquet different from regular croquet?

Also, would Morgan Interstellar like to host the Orion Cup? It's a little soccer tournament I'm thinking of, in honor of the World Cup.
Old May 11, 2002, 21:08   #15
History Guy
King

Mr. President:

Quote:
Is field croquet different from regular croquet?
Nope.

As for the Orion Cup, Morganites would love to host...and take part! Yep...heck, we've ever got our own major league team...all over Morgan space...mostly guys from Pollux, but there's several Cepheleens in it as well. We'd love to take part in the All-Interstellar event!
Old May 11, 2002, 21:11   #16
Sprayber
Emperor

Mr. President. I'm not a soccer fan so I'll just have to take your word for it.

Anyway, here is a little pic I found. Maybe you can use it as your primitive aliens that you want the Drones to fight.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	alien.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	15215  
Old May 11, 2002, 21:15   #17
Mr. President
Emperor

That's an awesome picture! Thanks! I'll save it right now and do something with it later.

So Morgan will host? Perfect. I'll start working on interstellar rankings and make up some qualifying groups. I'll just assume that most nations are going to take part.
Old May 11, 2002, 21:21   #18
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
So Morgan will host? Perfect. I'll start working on interstellar rankings and make up some qualifying groups. I'll just assume that most nations are going to take part.
It actually makes since that the Morgans, Drones and Spartans would be involved since we are Allies. It gets shaky once you move on to powers like the Terrans and Hive. Not much good will there at the moment.

One question to ask you both. Are there any ideas what the Spartan-Drone-Morgan alliance would be called. Or would it have an official name? What are your thoughts.
Old May 11, 2002, 21:30   #19
Mr. President
Emperor

Quote:
It actually makes since that the Morgans, Drones and Spartans would be involved since we are Allies. It gets shaky once you move on to powers like the Terrans and Hive. Not much good will there at the moment.
In the qualifiers for the last European Championships, Slovenia, Yugoslavia, and Croatia were all drawn in the same group. The final game featured the last two in Zagreb, and players became, shall we say, overexcited. Would you like me to play the cosmic joker by putting Morgan and Earth in the same qualifying group.

Quote:
One question to ask you both. Are there any ideas what the Spartan-Drone-Morgan alliance would be called. Or would it have an official name? What are your thoughts.
Hmm. Good question. The "Orion Axis"? The Treaty/Pact of [PLACENAME]?
Old May 11, 2002, 21:59   #20
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 11:30
Is the alliance even really a formal one? Or is it just a bunch of agreements on various things and an understanding that the three of them are allies?
GeneralTacticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2002, 22:07   #21
History Guy
King

Mr. President-- Yep, Morgan will host it. He's not a soccer expert, but he's picked up some stuff from almost 700 years. We Morganites have one 'elite' soccer team, 'The Hawks' (originally called the Falcons, but the name was changed due to a rash of terrorist attacks by the Jade Falcons). We've got a pretty good team, and we've an Australian coach to boot...

May I suggest that the Spartans call their team 'The Hoplites'?

Where will the Orion Cup be held? Morgan Stadium in the second largest city on the Capital Planet, the city known as 'Sky Towers City', for the largest buildings around. One of the tallest buildings in existence (in 2701), the Morgan Bank HQ stands there. It's also the home to the Hot Springs Recreation Center which is, like Morgan's Hideaway, quite the tourist spot. If the Orion Cup is held in Morganland, that's where it'd probably be.

Of course, the Firaxians have to be involved, right?

Hey! The Morgans vs. Terra in sports sounds good!

For a name...The Orion Axis sounds OK to me...

Last edited by History Guy; May 12, 2002 at 00:24.
Old May 11, 2002, 22:10   #22
History Guy
King

Tacticus-- Yes, it's official. We three support each other in just about everything, and so far the alliance is going very smoothly. Perhaps we can get some others in the alliance later...like your guys. Perhaps if the University stops being chummy with Yang we'll except them too. Up until now we've all been on good terms with the University, and we probably shall be for as long as it is...but the idea of the University and Yang as friends saddens us very much...
Old May 11, 2002, 22:11   #23
Sprayber
Emperor

That's a good question to ask General.

I'm wondering if it's in the Spartan character to actully be in an official alliance or not. No doubt that one exists. Another question is what is the Morgan-Drone relationship? Sparta is close to both for different reasons, but are the Drones and Morganites as close to each other as they are to Sparta.

BTW, this may even have given the Cadre one of their reasons for orginally breaking off. Maybe they thought that the Spartans had sold out somewhat to the Morgans and Drones. Just an idea of course.
Old May 11, 2002, 22:14   #24
Sprayber
Emperor

Axis Alliance
Allied Powers
Apex Alliance (used in CC)
Unity Alliance
Human Sphere Alliance (Since original alliance rose from the Bree Wars)
Outer Rim Alliance

Some ideas
Old May 11, 2002, 22:23   #25
Sprayber
Emperor

Inner Sphere Alliance (yeah Mellian, I got it from Battle Tech)
Inner Sphere Powers
Sprayber's Badass Alliance sorry I couldn't resist
Old May 11, 2002, 22:40   #26
History Guy
King

Well, the Drones and the Morganites have gotten on better since the Kristy Adams government took over and since Pirategate. In order to get more raw materials from the Drones, the Morganites defended Drone actions, and Mrs. Rabinowitch was used to great effect in the defense of the Drones, so after that, the friendship grew.
Old May 12, 2002, 04:58   #27
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Soccer? I find myself as an ice hockey fan when sports are discussed... but soccer'll do. I wonder what the Terran team could be called... of course there's a full range of sports on Earth, I think I mentioned one new one I pulled out of my hat in one of my posts.

It's Sunday, it's time to write a post. Isn't it?

History:
Quote:
Suddenly, something shot out of the sky, moving at a tremendous rate of speed, shooting along with a fiery tail trailing out along behind it. It looked like a shooting star. It was headed right for Clancy, it seemed. As it came closer, the stunned Captain could make out that it was smaller than his own small vessel, yet at the pace it was moving at it would definitely be a nasty thing to bump into. Meroz managed to identify it. “Bleeding heck!” he cried, “that’s the toll-port!”

Clancy managed to emit, “Whaaa?” The toll-port, burning rapidly, scraped past the small “garbage war-ship”, still travelling at that tremendous speed, and slammed right into a ship that pulled up alongside Clancy’s. The ship had been struck right in the gun-ports. It was definitely a Pirate ship.

“That,” said Meroz, pausing for effect, “is not a good sign. I guess some Pirates shot that toll-port into, if you forgive the figure of speech, ‘warp-speed’.”
I just *had* to quote this part... I don't know, maybe just because it was the funniest thing I've read for a while. Especially the remark about 'warp speed'...
Old May 12, 2002, 12:27   #28
History Guy
King

Kassiopeia-- Yes! It is time to write a post...I want to see what happens to Greg, Filkins, and...Myssym. And how do Greg and Myssym know each other, I wonder...Anyway, BAC's been moving too slowly in the past couple of days. Let's get the ball rolling. Have you ever noticed how well co-ordinated this story is, that when something exciting happens, it's a lot of thing simualtenously...For example, what goes on while Callisto's being attacked...It's pretty well done.

Glad you liked that, Kassiopeia! I don't know why the idea of a toll-port being shot into 'warp speed' sounded so funny to me...
Old May 12, 2002, 12:35   #29
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Quote:
Kassiopeia-- Yes! It is time to write a post...I want to see what happens to Greg, Filkins, and...Myssym. And how do Greg and Myssym know each other, I wonder...Anyway, BAC's been moving too slowly in the past couple of days. Let's get the ball rolling. Have you ever noticed how well co-ordinated this story is, that when something exciting happens, it's a lot of thing simualtenously...For example, what goes on while Callisto's being attacked...It's pretty well done.
Sorry to break the news, but no post today.
But there's a rather good reason! My soundcard suddenly decided to start functioning! Whoo! I've spent the last four hours downloading everything possible, Final Fantasy themes, B5 and SW themes, the works! I've just had no time to write. But with all this scifi music around, I am certain that something will become of it.

And, yes, a tollport being shot into warp speed somehow nicely wraps together Douglas Adams and... Star Trek.

And I've noticed the co-ordination. Well, my co-ordination during the Battle of Samnos was kinda retarded, nearly non-existent, but that somehow does reflect the way things are handled at Sol...

But I have been seriously thinking on the past of our dynamic duo. I've even got their entire names figured out, but I won't divulge them, not yet.
Old May 12, 2002, 12:42   #30
History Guy
King

Good heavens! A guy with a soundcard that works??! Incredible!!

Hurrah for Douglas Adams!

Yep, believe it or not, there is apparent co-ordination in this story...which will gain us big marks to readers 90 years from now, who'll never know that the co-ordination was all just one big accident...

Won't divulge 'em yet? Ah, pigmy! Well...as long as Greg's last name ain't Sym or something, that's OK...Hmmm...Think of it, though...Scary, ain't it?