Old June 20, 2002, 18:37   #421
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 14:31
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Sprayber

I may be wrong but in another offical story there is a scene on earth that described where Yang wanted to get rid of Santiago as a member of the security force but Garland overrid him. But like I said it's been a long time since I even saw that.
Sprayber-do think you could point me in the general direction of where you found this? I would like to read this. I've read some stories where Lal debated with the UN council about appointing even Yang as CoS (Chief of Security) but in the end he got the position.....I never heard of Yang NOT wanting Santiago for the job....

I think he had the right idea! (j/k)
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Frankychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2002, 01:44   #422
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Local Time: 19:31
Quote:
Originally posted by frankychan

Sprayber-do think you could point me in the general direction of where you found this? I would like to read this. I've read some stories where Lal debated with the UN council about appointing even Yang as CoS (Chief of Security) but in the end he got the position.....I never heard of Yang NOT wanting Santiago for the job....

I think he had the right idea! (j/k)

I thought that it was in the offical journy to alpha centauri story on the firaxis website but I read it last night and it wasn't. I can't remember where I saw it but it wasn't at poly i don't think. I do think you should read the story though because it has a part with yang in it that you may enjoy. here is an excerpt.

Quote:
"You admire your leader?"
Security Officer Anakkala, Yang's guard and the target of his question, clenched her jaw and kept her eyes focused forward. Yang read every part of her...the tension in her shoulders, the twitching of the finger on her shredder pistol, the slight gripping of her toes into the floor.
He flexed his wrists in the restraints Santiago’s people had put on him. Anakkala jerked her head at the movement. Yang watched her…her tension was palpable. Perhaps Santiago had warned her people too strongly against him. His reputation had now become a weapon.
He raked his eyes across his guard. "I am very thirsty." He lowered his eyes and let his shoulders slump in a posture of defeat. His eyes glazed over suddenly and his mouth fell open. Anakkala watched him with the disgust of the strong for the weak.
"What's the matter with you?" she rasped through a tight throat.
He shook himself and looked up at her. "Defeat," he said. "I am in your control, and you are in Santiago's control, and the ship is in the control of forces we can not influence." As he spoke one of his eyes began to cross, slowly, and she watched it with fascination. "On Earth I had my destiny in my grasp, as you did, and you and I had a chance to change our fates. We chose this ship, and its promise."
"I am not to speak to you." Anakkala said stiffly, shaking herself away from his gaze. She began to pace.
He continued to talk, his words becoming a steady drone. "Such faith you have in Santiago, who is my subordinate." She turned to watch him again. Again his eye began to move, and she stared at it with fascination, watched it as if following a moon across a night sky. "She captivates you, so great is her charisma. You look at her and are filled with admiration, feel your own will slipping away." Anakkala’s breathing slowed. A flush came to her face and her eyes became wide, deep, blue. Her hands began to loosen, the tension draining from her shoulders.
"You wake and think of her eyes. You sleep...you sleep and believe..." Now he trailed off, but she remained as still as a waxen statue, watching him, watching everything about him. "You believe she can keep me here, but perhaps she cannot."
He lifted his hands and they parted easily, the shackles falling away. Anakkala gasped and half-lifted her weapon, but her eyes remained wide, transfixed, her motions dreamlike.
"Watch the face of your enemy." He reached up and brushed his hand across his own face, then moved forward and brushed his hand across hers. "This is the face of your enemy." He stroked her face again, caressing her, his voice a whisper. "This is the enemy you seek." One more time. "Now I will leave."
He turned and walked away. "Stop!" she cried, through lips thick and numb. She lifted her weapon, turned it on him, on her enemy, on the enemy she was... She felt her hands shaking as he turned back, his face impassive. The face...she turned her weapon, felt her wrist shaking as it turned back towards...her own face...
There was a burst, short and sharp. Yang watched impassively as Anakkala fired, transforming her face into a swirling mist of blood and tissue. He shuddered once, remembering the beauty in her deep blue eyes.
He stooped to her form and lifted the keycard from her belt. In spite of the illusions he had created for her, his hands were still bound, and he needed to get free. Now he had a means to escape, and a weapon to assist him.
He looked at her again, and felt a strange sadness wash over him.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Sprayber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2002, 01:53   #423
Sovereign
Prince

Hey guys...

I apologize if this is gonna be rude or anything, but I feel like I'm being steamrolled right over.

I posted an important question a while back, and I need some ideas so that I can finish my Quantum Tech post. But no one replied except for Frankychan.

What I need to know is some idea how much it "costs" to build something, for example in modern times, a $10 billion nuclear powered aircraft carrier. Or a $2 billion Stealth Bomber.

How do we change these concepts and values into the BAC economy. Mellian says that we don't use paper money, or "hard" currencies anymore. We use some kind of energy based currency, correct?

How much would it cost to build a destroyer, battleship, carrier, defensive fortress, etc. in energy credits in BAC? What about consumer goods, electronics, infrastructure, etc?

Does a battleship cost 1000 energy credits? 10,000? 1 million? or what? I need to know.... Then I'll be able to calcuate how much expenses are needed for construction of my fleet ships, as well as Quantum tech prototypes.

IIRC, advanced reactors means cheaper units in the SMAC game....

Fission = 1 cost

Fusion = 1/2 cost

Quantum 1/4 cost

Singularity = 1/8 cost

Something like that I think.

But the problem is... I'm not sure how much is right for the BAC universe in terms of energy credits... Does factions generate 1 million, 100 million, or 10 billion energy credits per year? I need to know just how valuable one energy credit is in comparsion to one USA dollar. So I can get some realistic calculations done on unit costs... so I don't end up building 100 more Enterprise super carriers for only 100 energy credits each

Whew... I had to get this out in the open. I apologize if I stepped on anyone's toes, but I really need this figured out. Any of you have any ideas or suggestions how to establish the "currency values" in BAC?

Laters,

Academician Randius Zakharov
Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2002, 01:55   #424
Sprayber
Emperor

there is another scene when the Spartans first caputure Yang. Santiago is emphatic that no one speaks to him but her. In fact, out of all the people on the Unity he is the only they are really concerned about. I went back and read in preparation for Kell's next story. You many notice that when all is said and done, Yang ends up being responsible for the death of more people than the Spartans. With Both the Spartans and Yang's people sharing the responsibility for the death of Lal's wife. From the journey, it's a wonder that anyone likes anyone once they meet again on planet. In fact, Miriam and Lal are really the only ones that are halfway decent after it's all said and done. Even Dee kind of sells out towards the end. The Journey is an excellent read for it being so short.

here is the link for it and the alien crossfire follow up.

http://www.firaxis.com/smac/story.cfm
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old June 21, 2002, 03:05   #425
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Sovereign,

Nah, I don't think you stepped on anyones toes! I think since it's summer ppl are on a lag. History Guy went on a trip and everyone else is busy....sorry!

Well, I'll try help you out......

Hmmmm, I never thought about costs......I was just going to keep it vague in my posts. A benefit of GHE economy is that it is very state-controlled so whatever Yang says, it goes. I think costs of building for the Hive are more about time it takes to complete said-project and the amount of resources needed....energy doesn't really come in.

I know this probably won't help you all that much but hopefully it'll give you some ideas.

My suggestion to you would be to just play it by ear. For example, the GHE's "Super-carrier" will be a helluva hard time to beat...that's why there's only one. Just make your really good ships more rare and take longer to build.....kinda make em more complex.

But if you wanna be specific I'll throw this out to everyone about energy...

I've been thinking that we can use energy like Transformers did...ya know? Like "Energon (eh-ner-john) Cubes". I hope ppl know what I'm talking about cause I'm talkin' old skool transformers (in the 80's). This way we can more clearly define the energy currency.

Therefore, 1 energy cube=[+/-]$500 U.S. dollars today. This way we still use energy as currency but can represent it in a tangible way.

Hope this helps Sovereign!

PEACE!...and I'm BEACH BOUND!!!!

Last edited by Frankychan; June 21, 2002 at 03:20.
Old June 21, 2002, 03:06   #426
Frankychan
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Sprayber
I thought that it was in the offical journy to alpha centauri story on the firaxis website but I read it last night and it wasn't. I can't remember where I saw it but it wasn't at poly i don't think. I do think you should read the story though because it has a part with yang in it that you may enjoy. here is an excerpt.

Thanks, Sprayber!!!

(Me after reading the story)
|
|
|
|
V
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	homer_drooling.gif
Views:	52
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	17796  
Old June 21, 2002, 03:28   #427
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 10:31
Local Date: November 1, 2010
That's a classic picture!

As for the economic question, I don't think anyone really expects you to go over it with a fine-toothed comb. Follow the golden rule of writers and listen to your instincts.
Old June 21, 2002, 04:17   #428
Sovereign
Prince

Hey Franky

Thanks bro! At least you're still alive
Old June 21, 2002, 06:25   #429
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 03:31
My future in BAC and Heritage was on the edge yesterday. I almost got a summer job. Emphasis on the word 'almost'.

Energons? Transformers? Three letters : WTF?

I'll check out that story behind Sprayber's link... hang on,Journey and Arrival are the two stories responsible for getting me addicted to this forum in the first place!
Old June 21, 2002, 15:38   #430
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sovereign
Hey Franky

Thanks bro! At least you're still alive
Apperently while I was putting you on my buddy list I actually managed to put you on my ignore list

I have all of the BAC posters on my buddy list but oddly when I checked the other day my list was empty so I had to add everyone back again.
Old June 21, 2002, 15:48   #431
Sovereign
Prince

Hey guys,

There's another reason why I want to know or at least have all of us try and figure out the energy currency in the BAC universe.

I was thinking about having some posts about civilian life in the UCS, rather than all military, secret projects, aliens, hostile situations with Protectorate, and ancient ruins.

I would like to know the value of 1 energy credit in comparison to 1 USA dollar, or 1 Euro. That way, I'll know how many energy credits for a citizen to buy a nice dinner at a restaurant... pay for a lovely wedding, a new holo-television, a nice hover-bike for the kids for their birthday, etc.

Laters,

Academician Randius Zakharov
Old June 21, 2002, 16:00   #432
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Sovereign, that is a good reason.
I have so far managed to escape that by not using straight expressions regarding currency...

I was going to write a smallish essay on the matter of BAC economics - oy, me be in the top 20 of Finland's economical talents... at least from the ones born in '86. I even have a diploma that says that - but somehow the thought escaped my mind. I'll see if I can find a dull moment.
Old June 23, 2002, 00:12   #433
Sovereign
Prince

*kick*
Old June 23, 2002, 10:15   #434
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 18:31
Psssst...I'm back.

Quote:
History Guy went on a trip and everyone else is busy....sorry!
(A bomb explodes at the Hive Capital)

Anyway, I'll start tickling the keys to produce yet another post...
History Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2002, 00:16   #435
Sovereign
Prince

*thud*

Where is everyone? Dead?

*thwop*

Wake up dudes!
Old June 24, 2002, 06:00   #436
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Sorry, I can't hear you. I'm dead.
Old June 24, 2002, 06:08   #437
Mr. President
Emperor

Seriously.

I've not been doing anything Beyond Alpha Centauri - related, so I've not been posting. Q.E.D. Between Physiology exams, the World Cup, Civilization II: Test of Time, the World Cup, and backyard World Cup emulation, who has time?
Old June 24, 2002, 09:36   #438
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Paraphrasing the Hitch-hiker text adventure game;

Mr. President, you are awfully talkative for someone dead.

Hell yes, all I've been doing has been writing Heritage (until I lost my notebook and with it an important name, I had a big hiatus because of that) and playing this awesome RPG: Final Fantasy VII. Made a new record, 28 hours at level 56.

* casts a Life2 spell on everyone in hope of resurrecting them *
Old June 24, 2002, 23:06   #439
Mr. President
Emperor

I'm pretty sure Ozzy Osbourne is dead, and he has a TV show.

Is that 28 hours in one sitting?
Old June 25, 2002, 05:30   #440
Sovereign
Prince

*bang*

FF7? Thats old! We're up to 10 or 11 by now You Finns need to speed up your markets and shipping from America and Japan

*boink*

The BAC story thread has dropped out of the forum screen! Now I gotta flip over to Page 2 of Topics to get to the BAC story!

Shame on you guys for allowing this to happen! Get your butts back in gear and keep it up top where it belongs!

Or I shall do loads more of *thwap*'ing!

(Looks around and *cracks* everyone else upside the head)
Old June 25, 2002, 05:36   #441
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Mr. President: Actually, two sessions, one 11 and one 17 hours.

Sovereign: Duh! That was the third time I played it.
I've played all the way up to IX, and if the stars settle themselves correctly, I'll get my hands on X, which has been on markets here since May. And what I've been told, XI is full of bugs and whatnot.
Old June 25, 2002, 06:03   #442
Sovereign
Prince

Kass, 3rd time eh?

You had me thinking you got it for the first time!

In my honest opinion, I think FFX is worth it, good story and graphics. Heck, you should just get it for the graphics

Thank goodness your still alive, Kass!

Laters!
Old June 25, 2002, 06:06   #443
Mr. President
Emperor

17 hours? Ouch. Whenever I fly Malaysian Airlines (who have games) I stay up all night and play Super Mario World, but that blows my record out of the water! I'm guessing you're on vacation.
Old June 25, 2002, 06:07   #444
Mr. President
Emperor

So does Final Fantasy X mean what it sounds like, the tenth game in the series? Can you play number ten without having played numbers one through nine?
Old June 25, 2002, 06:13   #445
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Mr. President:

The FF games are all individual. The only common thing they share is the combat and character class system, and several of them support the "Gaia Theory", which means, if simplified, that Earth is as a whole a living being which has a soul and a consciousness. But the plotlines are entirely different, and every FF has a different set of characters.

And yes, I am on vacation.

Sovereign:

The only problem with playing FFX is the fact that I only have PSone. Therefore, I would need to get a PS2 before the game. Of course, there's my girlfriend who's just played it through, but methinks she'll play it at least two times more before even thinking about lending it.

Btw, I had played VII twice before through, but this was the first time I played a copy that was my own.
Old June 25, 2002, 11:39   #446
Silence
Warlord

Local Time: 00:31
I am a old fashion hoogy, I like FF2 (4) the best of all the Final Fantasys
"I do think that it is important to realize that wars are ugly and vile and that there better be a damned good reason for getting involved in one. Because the price for somebody is going to be very, very high."

David Weber
Silence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2002, 12:56   #447
Kassiopeia
Emperor

I've played some eight hours of FF IV... I like the Celtic Moon soundtrack better.
Old June 26, 2002, 03:36   #448
Mr. President
Emperor

Looks like I'm back here again. How disturbing.

Anyway, I just finished my last exam, and now there's nothing to do for three weeks except play games, write for this weird project, write for my other weird projects, and, when I think of my exams, pray. In plain English: I now have more time to waste at Apolyton.
Old June 26, 2002, 12:14   #449
Kassiopeia
Emperor

I am participating in a debate over a Finnish forum, whether Sephiroth, the bad guy in FF VII, was evil or not. Too bad I'm on the ones that are supposed to say his evil.

Of course, I'll blow their minds out by getting some philosphers quotes about evilness and then find similarities between Sephys actions and that.
Old June 26, 2002, 18:05   #450
Sovereign
Prince

Hehe...

At least some of you guys finally woke up after the mention of Final Fantasy!

Personally, I think FF7's plot about Cloud was confusing for me... whats "real" and whats not.

Guess what? I first bought Playstation 1 just to play FF7, then I bought other games. THEN I bought Playstation 2 just for FFX, then I got other games. I guess FF lures me to new gaming systems, eh?

I think if I had to choose between my 3 favorites, FF4, FF9, and FF10... I guess I'd pick FF9.

FF9 has the overworld traveling in not 1, but 3 different airships! FF10 doesn't have you travel in a 3-D world overmap. I also love the wide range of settings, from lush forests and canyons to the sci-fi places of Oeilvert and Terra. Also that tree, the Iifa tree, I swear, must be like 10 miles tall!! Its definitely way bigger than the Tree of Mana from the Secret of Mana series.

I liked Secret of Mana for the Super Nintendo as well.

I guess chatting about Final Fantasy brings back old memories

Laters!