Old May 13, 2002, 13:36   #61
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 18:30
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Must explain why everyone in Central Plaza just floats around and bumps into the dome, LMP.
History Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2002, 13:39   #62
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

And hey, Kass, why are you always here whenever I come in?
Old May 13, 2002, 13:40   #63
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Local Time: 19:30
Quote:
Originally posted by kassiopeia
Oh yes, we haven't addressed artifical gravity yet. And I don't think we shouldn't. Quoting Dirk Gently; "At least the gravity's working." In this situation, what I mean is that if it works, don't bother about it. We have AG, and that's it.
I thought that's what most would say
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Sprayber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2002, 13:46   #64
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 03:30
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Whoa, I had a little fubar in my post. "And I don't think we shouldn't." should be "And I think we shouldn't." Too much 'no's in one sentence.

History: Telepathy? Identical cycle of consciousness? Or is it just because I am here all the time?
Old May 13, 2002, 13:48   #65
History Guy
King

Yeah, let's not let realism bother us.

Kass-- The latter must certainly be the case!!
Old May 13, 2002, 13:52   #66
History Guy
King

And hey! Anyone seen Silence, Cybergod, or Franky recently?
Old May 13, 2002, 14:01   #67
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Yeah, I'd like to have a word or two with Silence, in regards of a little subplot idea including the Believers and Earth...
Old May 13, 2002, 15:32   #68
Mellian
Queen

there is a difference between open field and close in and tight like Dreadnoughts. Easier to provide gravity in hallways then soccers fields i would think.

Soccer in space stations? i don't think to many factions are willing to waste resources on that ...and why does it have to be soccer? what about some newer different kind of sport like, rollerball ...dodgeball extreme, and so on.

and willbe hard to watch soccer on a televiewer several simples away....tachyon comm networks isn't that good yet. So only places where the sport will be popular is areas that has better coverage and better comm networks.

...and I call dibs to first establish a galatic Grid Network for the Terran Alliance ...with help of cyborgs, scions and the mechalus which i am still thinking to bring in during the timewarp... It will allow datalinks to be interplanetary and inter system wide without to much limitations and problems via a tachyon comm network.

-Mellian
Mellian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2002, 15:35   #69
Mellian
Queen

I thinking, when i get back from this program and MOO3 goes up... I will be the first to start a MOO3 type fiction universe

will be easier to base a intereactive game on Moo3 mechanics.

-mellian
Mellian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2002, 15:54   #70
Sprayber
Emperor

So are you saying that it is technically impossible for a civ that has developed AG for ships to develope some kind of way to project it in a large building, or are you saying it is harder. I would agree that these stadiums would not be found in every city on every planet.

I don't see what is wrong with soccer.(never thought, id here myself say that) There is nothing that says that the sport could not have survied over the centuries, or it may have even been rediscovered. It doesn't have to be big everywhere. I doubt the Hive will be a big soccer haven. I can say that it isn't as big in Sparta as it would be in Firaxis. But that doesn't mean that it can't exist.

The US has a Aussie rules league. But its not exactly as big as the NFL.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old May 13, 2002, 16:16   #71
History Guy
King

I agree with Sprayber. Why should we have to drop Mr. President's soccer ideas? They might be exactly what BAC needs!
Old May 13, 2002, 16:34   #72
Kassiopeia
Emperor

No! Don't loose soccer! Where was that even suggested?

Mellian:
Quote:
Soccer in space stations? i don't think to many factions are willing to waste resources on that
I was merely referring to teams practicing on space stations that have increased gravity. The stations could be research stations... gaining sponsorships and other fees for allowing them to train there. A man who can play run fairly well at 1.5 of Earth's gravity can run amazingly fast at 1.0 of Earth's gravity.
Old May 13, 2002, 17:00   #73
History Guy
King

Well, Mellian was asking why we had to have soccer instead of a more 28th Century sort of game. I want to keep in soccer!
Old May 13, 2002, 17:18   #74
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Oh, righty.
What's wrong with soccer? It's lasted for several hundred years already, and it's the simplest way one can play with a ball. There's Greg and Filkins's sport, gravdisc IIRC, but it's for people who are not that into sporting, more like for keeping in shape.
Old May 13, 2002, 18:39   #75
Sprayber
Emperor

maybe it does need to be updated a little. Here are my suggestions.

The Field is 100 yards long The lines are labeled every 10 yards descending in both directions from the 50 yard line.

Kickoffs: At the start of the game there is a coin toss to see which team gets the ball first. The team that has the ball is the offense; the other team is the defense.

Downs: The offense has 4 plays or downs to cover 10 yards or more. A play ends when the player with the ball is either stopped or goes out-of-bounds or if the ball is thrown and missed (which is called an incomplete pass).

Scoring: The object of the game is to score more points than your opponent. A touchdown is worth 6 points. A field goal is worth is worth 3 points.

I have some more. If ya want, I can sent you a copy. Or just go Here
Old May 13, 2002, 18:46   #76
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Sprayber: What the heck are those rules? That sounds like...

*gasp*

*shudders*

You can't possible be talking of... AMERICAN FOOTBALL!

*runs around in circles - screaming*

NEVER! No American football! American football is nothing but people hurling against each other at high speeds, causing only injuries! It's nothing about skill and tact like soccer!

It can't be football, in real football one does not touch the ball with one's hands, unless a goalkeeper.

Still, no American Football. PLEASE... *bats eyelashes*
Old May 13, 2002, 18:50   #77
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 10:30
The Beautiful Game survived two world wars, a cold war, and ten years of Italian-style coaching. It's a game for everyone, and for all times. All you need is a little open space and something to kick. Why shouldn't it thrive in the galactic age?

I expect people are going to be colonizing worlds with Earth-ish gravity (Mars being an exception). It might not even come up.

Besides, you need something in a future society other than work, fighting, and reproduction. I don't think a little sporting flavor would be misplaced at all.
Old May 13, 2002, 18:52   #78
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Quote:

NEVER! No American football! American football is nothing but people hurling against each other at high speeds, causing only injuries! It's nothing about skill and tact like soccer!
Surely it's not that bad!

Still, I do like soccer better. I was an early convert. I really think it would go great with this story, if only as a splashed element for flavor.
Old May 13, 2002, 19:02   #79
Mr. President
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sprayber
So are you saying that it is technically impossible for a civ that has developed AG for ships to develope some kind of way to project it in a large building, or are you saying it is harder. I would agree that these stadiums would not be found in every city on every planet.
Erm, if the stadium is on a planet, why does the question of artificial gravity even come up?
Old May 13, 2002, 19:07   #80
Kassiopeia
Emperor

To establish a standard between stadiums. If Team A trains and plays on Jupiter (hypothetical example), then Team B from Earth will have hard time with them.
Old May 13, 2002, 19:14   #81
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
Sprayber: What the heck are those rules? That sounds like...

*gasp*

*shudders*

You can't possible be talking of... AMERICAN FOOTBALL!

*runs around in circles - screaming*

It can't be football, in real football one does not touch the ball with one's hands, unless a goalkeeper.

Still, no American Football. PLEASE... *bats eyelashes*

I thought that would get someones attention. Mr. President, it isn't as bad as Kass thinks. In fact, I played football for nearly 10 years. But no, I have no intention of introducing it to BAC. I was just seeing if everyone is paying attention.

The AG coment came from Mellian suggesting that the different gravities would make play difficult and I commented that maybe they play in doors with a standard gravity. In reality they would just deal with it. There would be some difference but not that great of a difference.
Old May 13, 2002, 19:19   #82
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Quote:
I thought that would get someones attention. Mr. President, it isn't as bad as Kass thinks. In fact, I played football for nearly 10 years. But no, I have no intention of introducing it to BAC. I was just seeing if everyone is paying attention.

Well, I really aren't at my most cognitive mood yet still at this time. I am supposed to be at school within six hours, during which I am supposed to also sleep. And here I am, disproving the sanity of having American... "Football" in our story. A fact that is utterly and totally irrelevant, in some way even for the story's sake.

Good night.
Old May 13, 2002, 19:29   #83
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 14:30
hello I'm here!

I've just taken my psychology of emotions final and I bombed it big time so I'm cruisin' the net to placate myself.

Well, I come back and see a BAC soccer (football) match going on...

Mr. President- good call on not including the Hive. Yang doesn't want any part of it. Competitive sports are considered bad for the health of Hive society and competition amongst citizens is seen as counter-productive.

History Guy-Yang will send his message soon. Probably going to be the typical (as Sprayber would put it) "Yang speak". Replies to Kessel and Ian coming as well.

To address the topic of your soccer (I'll call it soccer cause I'm American, sorry Europeans!) match-

Variations of soccer have existed throughout history. There are records of South American civilizations playing a variant of it in archaeological digs and murals. Therefore, I'm sure that the 28th century would continue playing the game...although with a technological twist of its own. I'm not sure what you guys are planning but I just hope you put in a "futuristic" spin on it.

Anyway, I got a couple more finals to take this week so I might take longer in addressing questions you all may have for me.

Take it easy y'all.

frankychan
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Frankychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2002, 19:32   #84
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Maybe BAC soccer players could have some sort of technical aids? Like supportive cybernetics? Power armour? Some sort of magnetically linked system that allows for entirely different control of the ball. The ball itself calculates the kick of the player and flies according to it... or something...
Old May 13, 2002, 20:17   #85
Mr. President
Emperor

They're already making balls that are specialized to "banana" when kicked, or to fly straight when kicked. Maybe climate-controlled shoes and uniforms? Sensors that monitor the player's vital signs and warn the team doctor when he's fatigued or dead?

Cybernetic cruciate ligaments that don't tear? Arm extenders for goalies? I guess if everyone does it, it's not cheating.
Old May 13, 2002, 20:18   #86
Mr. President
Emperor

About your exam, Franky: It's usually not as bad as you think. I thought I totally choked my math exam last semester, but it was okay in the end.
Old May 13, 2002, 21:21   #87
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. President
About your exam, Franky: It's usually not as bad as you think. I thought I totally choked my math exam last semester, but it was okay in the end.
I hope so. Good to hear that you didn't do so bad on your math exam....I'm just depressed cause I don't wanna fail the class, but now I am disillusioned and discouraged with the field of psychology thanks to this professor of mine.

Old May 13, 2002, 21:31   #88
Silence
Warlord

Local Time: 00:30
Back again from the void of work and school. I will have another post tommorow in the story thread. Is there anything specfic that I need to do for anybody?
"I do think that it is important to realize that wars are ugly and vile and that there better be a damned good reason for getting involved in one. Because the price for somebody is going to be very, very high."

David Weber
Silence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2002, 21:38   #89
Frankychan
King

Not that I can think of Silence-

Sorry, forgot to mention that the looong overdue Hive response to the Believers is coming up as well.

But I don't think they will like it one bit...
Old May 13, 2002, 23:23   #90
Mr. President
Emperor

Glad to see you back, Silence. Do you like soccer? I'm trying to put together an interstellar tournament. If you feel like it, you might want to do a nickname, home stadium, and whatnot for the Believing national team.