Old May 13, 2002, 23:40   #91
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 10:30
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Competitive sports are considered bad for the health of Hive society and competition amongst citizens is seen as counter-productive.
Just noticed this. So what do Hiverians do for entertainment?
Old May 13, 2002, 23:42   #92
Mellian
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Queen

Local Time: 19:30
Local Date: October 31, 2010
sure it can survive the Galactic age with some colonies and so on... but to the point of having a interstellar soccer league?

Look at the current political/diplomatic situations, then the travel times of FTL, the popularity level of the sport across several worlds and factions, different environements and gravities (will be slightly hard to find another Earth 1.0 grav habitable planet), the way their society is and how they play the game...if it is even popular and worth it, and so on.

I can see the Morganites, Drones and few independents participating in a soccer league where seasons may last a few years due to travel times and so on... spartans not much into the sport like sprayber says, so why participate in the league? besides, would think they would be quite aggressive and strong in soccer... Earth Coalition and Mars Combine, possibly...but they are at war with other factions and as if relations will be fix up to the point of them being part of the interstellar league... Venus i don't think is the best of world to play soccer on, and don't it will become to popular or see the point in getting involve in a league... Gaians isolate themselves and mysterious, so generally keep to themselves, so the reasoning for them to get involve in a soccer league as such is?... Cyborgs playing soccer? CYBORGS? besides, the way they are, i don't think they wouldhave much interest anyway... University just recently started to become Active diplomaticly and relations wise...

sorry for being a realist, but the idea of a soccer league in the current BAC state will be quite hard and hard for me to see it possible. better off having a Olympics type thing, which i don't think to many factions will be able to get involve.

-Mellian
Mellian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2002, 23:52   #93
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Mellian
sure it can survive the Galactic age with some colonies and so on... but to the point of having a interstellar soccer league?

Look at the current political/diplomatic situations, then the travel times of FTL, the popularity level of the sport across several worlds and factions, different environements and gravities (will be slightly hard to find another Earth 1.0 grav habitable planet), the way their society is and how they play the game...if it is even popular and worth it, and so on.

I can see the Morganites, Drones and few independents participating in a soccer league where seasons may last a few years due to travel times and so on... spartans not much into the sport like sprayber says, so why participate in the league? besides, would think they would be quite aggressive and strong in soccer... Earth Coalition and Mars Combine, possibly...but they are at war with other factions and as if relations will be fix up to the point of them being part of the interstellar league... Venus i don't think is the best of world to play soccer on, and don't it will become to popular or see the point in getting involve in a league... Gaians isolate themselves and mysterious, so generally keep to themselves, so the reasoning for them to get involve in a soccer league as such is?... Cyborgs playing soccer? CYBORGS? besides, the way they are, i don't think they wouldhave much interest anyway... University just recently started to become Active diplomaticly and relations wise...

sorry for being a realist, but the idea of a soccer league in the current BAC state will be quite hard and hard for me to see it possible. better off having a Olympics type thing, which i don't think to many factions will be able to get involve.

-Mellian
Well, we could cut the number of teams down a little. If Yugoslavia and Croatia can make themselves play each other, Earth and Morgan surely have a chance?

An Olympics type thing would probably be worse politically. Even the current Olympics is riddled with political posturing. And the same problems of travelling and adaptation to planetary peculiarities are still there.

It's just a flavor thing anyway. If the majority wants it, I say do it.
Old May 14, 2002, 01:00   #94
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. President

Just noticed this. So what do Hiverians do for entertainment?

Lets see. \

Quote:
My gift to industry is the genetically engineered worker, or Genejack. Specially designed for labor, the Genejack's muscles and nerves are ideal for his task, and the cerebral cortex has been atrophied so that he can desire nothing except to perform his duties. Tyranny, you say? How can you tyrannize someone who cannot feel pain?

Chairman Sheng-ji Yang
"Essays on Mind and Matter"
what do you think
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Sprayber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2002, 01:14   #95
Sprayber
Emperor

It doesnt have to be exactly the way its set up here on present day Earth. Maybe the vast majority of matches take place within the faction. the over all winners then go on to compete in informal matches between different factions. I can see a situation where Spartan players tour different Firaxis stadiums playing different Firaxis teams. Maybe Firaxian teams come to Sparta Prime and play in a series of matches there. Actually it would provide excellent stories about what a ordinary Firaxin citizen thinks of his or her travels around Sparta Prime. the same goes for Spartans on Firaxis. This could be done with Morgan-Firaxin and Firaxian-drone and different combinations.

So far we have concentrated on large epic story lines. Maybe this is a good chance to get the ordinary persons perspective. Some have already done this. as always, just suggestions.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old May 14, 2002, 03:18   #96
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 14:30
hey,hey,hey Sprayber-

I resent that! There are a lot of entertainment possibilities for the Hives citizens:

Stroll through the recreation commons garden.
Play chess (Hive style)
Visit the planets surface (using their allotted pass)
view state-controlled media
Train in the dojo (when it's not their required time)
Train in their marksmanship (when its not their required time)

see? There's plenty to do.
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Frankychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2002, 06:05   #97
Mr. President
Emperor

Maybe if you have more than one planet like the Spartans do, each planet has separate leagues. That would alleviate travel problems, and also the likely differences in seasons between distant worlds.

Quote:
It doesnt have to be exactly the way its set up here on present day Earth. Maybe the vast majority of matches take place within the faction. the over all winners then go on to compete in informal matches between different factions. I can see a situation where Spartan players tour different Firaxis stadiums playing different Firaxis teams. Maybe Firaxian teams come to Sparta Prime and play in a series of matches there. Actually it would provide excellent stories about what a ordinary Firaxin citizen thinks of his or her travels around Sparta Prime. the same goes for Spartans on Firaxis. This could be done with Morgan-Firaxin and Firaxian-drone and different combinations.
I was actually going to make Sam, from the earlier post, go to Sparta on his next adventure. That would provide a good excuse for him to do so. Yeah, it might be better to have less formal end-of-season club challenges, so that nothing is really on the line in terms of prize money or standings on a ladder, and the emphasis is on entertainment. Move the emphasis from money-making back to the fans.
Old May 14, 2002, 06:07   #98
Mr. President
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by frankychan
hey,hey,hey Sprayber-

I resent that! There are a lot of entertainment possibilities for the Hives citizens:

Stroll through the recreation commons garden.
Play chess (Hive style)
Visit the planets surface (using their allotted pass)
view state-controlled media
Train in the dojo (when it's not their required time)
Train in their marksmanship (when its not their required time)

see? There's plenty to do.
It doesn't sound like an un-interesting life. I'm sure with the proper neurochemical therapy, you might eventually find that as exciting as any football game. Just kidding.
Old May 14, 2002, 10:13   #99
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 18:30
Hey! Franky and Silence are back! Now we have to drop depth charges to bring Cybergod back up.

Franky-- Looking forward to Yang's rather boorish message. Just remember, anything silly that he says can be published by Morgan's fine publishing companies.

Those Hiverian recreational activities sound...well...

The majority wants the soccer tournemeant! It's in!!

No one suggested Venus. The Morgan capital planet has...almost Earth-like environments, actually.
History Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2002, 11:51   #100
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 03:30
Off you go, Greg and Filkins appear again. I wrote the post in two parts, one yesterday and one today, so there might be some fubars there. Additionally, today I was in a little haste, preparing for my tomorrow trip, which will last for two days... So I figured it would be best to get the post up before heading to Helsinki.
Old May 14, 2002, 12:18   #101
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Excellent post, Kassiopeia!!
Old May 14, 2002, 13:11   #102
Mellian
Queen

Quote:
The majority wants the soccer tournemeant! It's in!!
If BAC becomes a soccer thing, i am definatly leaving. I am into sci-fi interactive story, not soccer in the bloody future. If i wanted it, i would go join some Fantasy Soccer game somewhere on the internet.

oh wait, i have an idea, Pirates decides to wreck a stadium, hmmm

-Mellian
Old May 14, 2002, 13:33   #103
History Guy
King

Mellian, get a grip. The soccer stuff is a sub-plot, something to make it a bit more interesting and readable than it already is. Every post can't be "Admiral Snark cried 'Shoot those Terrans down, ha ha ha!" BAC isn't becoming a soccer story!
Old May 14, 2002, 13:34   #104
Silence
Warlord

Local Time: 00:30
I like Baseball, if you guys want to havea soccer leauge going on, could somebody run the Beleiving team becuase I have no idea about anything works in soccer.
"I do think that it is important to realize that wars are ugly and vile and that there better be a damned good reason for getting involved in one. Because the price for somebody is going to be very, very high."

David Weber
Silence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2002, 13:43   #105
History Guy
King

Anyway, I'll be working on a new post soon. We'll see more mob stuff next time, don't worry.

Lonestar-- What exactly do you want Morgan to do for CHAOM?

Mellian-- When should peace talks begin? Should they be held at Firaxis, Concordia, or Neuvo San Antonio?
Old May 14, 2002, 14:04   #106
Lonestar
inmate
King

Local Time: 20:30
HG,

Morgan has a Executive Directorship of CHOAM. Which means he has a say in how it's run. Eventually, we'd like to bring MI into the Free Trade Zone CHOAM encompasses.

How does that feel, mister capitalist?
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2002, 14:22   #107
Mellian
Queen

Firaxis as they are pretty much have contact with nearly all of the factions and so on. They are also neutral and independent. besides, rather it be the Treaty of Firaxis then Treaty of New Antonio... and not to keen of having the facist protectorate as mediators not much in known about them and they just recently came out of blue and become active diplomaticly.

(just came up as a thought... independent means a single world or system not alligned with any bigger faction. once the independent starts colonizing, conquer, or simply take a non-neutral stance, they pretty much become a faction and not considered a independent anymore...anyway, whatever)

I can rap things up from the TAF's point of view, then have background organization of the treaty. May be a couple of BAC weeks or more before all sides sit at a table at Firaxis... all sides that are involved, meaning i see no reason for the Protectorate to get into that, even if they offered to help. Firaxis will be the mediators... as for the sides: Morgan Insterstellar, Terran Alliance and Spartan Federation. maybe the Free Drone Republic as well, but didnt have any direct involvement in the war by the time of the cease-fire.

another note, The ships currently in FTL will not know yet of the Cease-fire until they get to their destination and Comms their Commands... so there is a possibility of Cease fire being broken non-intentionally... so how will you people resolve that?

In other news, sort of loosing interest on BAC in general sure i have playing around with the Pirates...but just interested in developing the society, the faction... not the game itself.

I will still play, just, my mind isn't really into it as it was last week and before.... especially since i started thinking about starting up game base around Master of Orion 3...with modifications history wise... and modifications to the universe itself ...like with did with BAC in a way. working on the concept and the set rules.... may as well work out the structure, then post it and then modify depending on the players interest before started the game. ..and generally basing on Moo3 mechanics, technologies, and so on will be more stable then we did with BAC

decided to post that after reading up on the never-ending story thing going on at civfanatic.

-Mellian
Old May 14, 2002, 14:57   #108
Sprayber
Emperor

The logical place to hold the talks is at Firaxis.

Main participants.

Firaxians-as netural party
Spartans-Legal representative of the cooperate sector
Terran Alliance/Earth Coalation- don't know how you guys want to handle that.
Morgan Interstellar-

Others can be around as observors if they think that their faction has an interest in being there.

Mellian: Once again. Soccer is going to be one of many backstories. It's just a way for different writers to get across an alternative view of a faction. ex. Firaxian view of Spartan society. We all know what the authors think of their own society. Lets get it from another standpoint. It's not a soccer story. If I wanted this to be a futuristic sports story, then American Football would reign supreme
Old May 14, 2002, 15:02   #109
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Quote:
If I wanted this to be a futuristic sports story, then American Football would reign supreme
*scoff*

Met hinks it would have to be some sort of delegation appointed by the Terran Council... I nominate My Minister of External Affairs
Old May 14, 2002, 15:10   #110
Lonestar
inmate
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Mellian
Firaxis as they are pretty much have contact with nearly all of the factions and so on. They are also neutral and independent. besides, rather it be the Treaty of Firaxis then Treaty of New Antonio... and not to keen of having the facist protectorate as mediators not much in known about them and they just recently came out of blue and become active diplomaticly.

Hey now. The Protectorate has a Senate and everything.
Old May 14, 2002, 15:11   #111
Sovereign
Prince

Guys,

Here's a update.

I'm in for the soccer tourament. Even though I don't know much about soccer, I like the idea. Too much war-mongering and feuding going on in BAC. We need some normal citizen stuff, to give a better perpsective of the BAC universe as seen from the normal everyday people, not from a military perpsective.

I'm finally wrapping up my busy week, hopefully I can get two or three story posts by next week. I think one will deal with some Quantum experiments, like Quantum Reactors, lasers, computers, etc. Just your basic "work or explode" stuff

The other post will involve the Berrik ruins, giving it more detail and depth.

The third post may concern some UCS - Hive stuff, if thats ok with you Franky?

I'm going to make it a point to have the UCS focus on exploration, research, etc. as well as civil stuff, rather than warmongering, invasion, or vendettas. Maybe some with the Believers, but that's the only faction that the UCS will actively be aggressive to.

I'm seriously thinking about adding one or two more colonies, to grow through the time-warp. I'd like to describe how a UCS pinoeer colony grows into a full fledged "Star State" over several years and posts, to give the reader a good idea how the UCS develops.

Pretty much about it. What are your thoughts and feelings on these ideas?

Laters,

Academician Randius Zakharov
Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2002, 15:11   #112
Lonestar
inmate
King

Plus, it would be the Treaty of Nuevo San Antonio, not "New Antonio".
Old May 14, 2002, 15:24   #113
Sovereign
Prince

Ah! Forgot a few things!

Franky Good luck on your exams! After you're done, lets figure out how to proceed further with our plot-line.

History I was wondering if we could try and figure out a UCS - MI plot-line. Maybe we could start with Morgan's visit or something?

Kass Maybe the UCS - Earth stuff can wait until after the Time-warp. What do you think?

I think this covers my "loose ends" for the time being. Let me know if I forgot anyone else!

Laters,

Academician Randius Zakharov
Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2002, 15:32   #114
Lonestar
inmate
King

Guess he didn't know I posted a response...
Old May 14, 2002, 15:50   #115
Kassiopeia
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sovereign
Kass Maybe the UCS - Earth stuff can wait until after the Time-warp. What do you think?
Sure, why not.
Old May 14, 2002, 16:39   #116
Mellian
Queen

Quote:
Originally posted by kassiopeia

*scoff*

Met hinks it would have to be some sort of delegation appointed by the Terran Council... I nominate My Minister of External Affairs
the delegation would be comprised by different people from different members.

-Mellian
Old May 14, 2002, 16:46   #117
Mellian
Queen

Quote:
Mellian: Once again. Soccer is going to be one of many backstories. It's just a way for different writers to get across an alternative view of a faction. ex. Firaxian view of Spartan society. We all know what the authors think of their own society. Lets get it from another standpoint. It's not a soccer story. If I wanted this to be a futuristic sports story, then American Football would reign supreme
don't have to repeat yourself and doesn't change the fact i am loosing interest...and not because of the soccer thing.

Lonestar, whatever

-mellian
Old May 14, 2002, 18:33   #118
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 14:30
Thank you ALL for your responses and good wishes!

Sovereign- Sounds good! Sorry that i've been dragging my butt, finals and all...

Mr. President-Proper neurochemical treatment! You make it sound barbaric!

History Guy-Nwabudike will probably be shocked at the incoming message

For the soccer stuff- frankychan says that if the majority of the authors want it, then they should have it. An alternative would be to create a totally separate thread dedicated to the Galactic Cup Soccer League (or whatever you guys call it)

Hive won't be participating for obvious reasons...Playing soccer will be considered treason in the Empire until it is state-sanctioned.
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Frankychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2002, 19:46   #119
Mr. President
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Silence
I like Baseball, if you guys want to havea soccer leauge going on, could somebody run the Beleiving team becuase I have no idea about anything works in soccer.
I like baseball too. Are the Believers good at it? Someone can cover the Believing soccer teams, no problem.

Quote:
If BAC becomes a soccer thing, i am definatly leaving. I am into sci-fi interactive story, not soccer in the bloody future. If i wanted it, i would go join some Fantasy Soccer game somewhere on the internet.
Like everyone's said, it's just a flavor subplot. Almost every post I've read so far is war, war, war. All I see on television these days is war, war, war. All I read in the papers and in the Off-Topic forum is war, war, war. All my friends talk about is war, war, war, and math, math, math.

Quote:
oh wait, i have an idea, Pirates decides to wreck a stadium, hmmm

Quote:
An alternative would be to create a totally separate thread dedicated to the Galactic Cup Soccer League (or whatever you guys call it)
Sounds good to me.

Quote:
Hive won't be participating for obvious reasons...Playing soccer will be considered treason in the Empire until it is state-sanctioned.
You could demonstrate the superiority of Hive society by dominating the soccer field as you do space! The Soviet Union won a silver medal in the 1988 European Championships while being a closed society.

In non-soccer related news, I intend to go into more depth on the Ophelia situation. Authorities there will listen in on native media transmissions (early-twentieth-century type stuff) which will of course prompt some discussion. Some military type people will advocate an extreme solution (not the one you might expect - it'll involve what might be called aggressive terraforming).
Old May 14, 2002, 20:12   #120
Lonestar
inmate
King

The Protectorate is more into Lacrosse.