Old May 22, 2002, 10:38   #241
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 18:30
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Looks good, Franky.

I think Morgan wants to bang Yang's head against a wall, but other than that!

The Morganites don't seek confrontation with Yang, but they won't give up things in order to keep out of one. Morgan doesn't appreciate Hiverian threats. But hey! Who does?
History Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2002, 18:30   #242
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 11:30
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Good post, Franky. You can expect Lysander's reply when I get home from school.
GeneralTacticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2002, 18:32   #243
Lonestar
inmate
King

Local Time: 20:30
aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh....I was hoping you would have seen the devastation at the listening post...
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2002, 19:53   #244
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 10:30
Yang's been on the phone a lot recently. Time to get busy?
Old May 22, 2002, 21:37   #245
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Local Time: 19:30
What? I can't leave you children alone for five days without you messing up the house, wrecking my car, and having a wild party that involves perverted and deviant behavior?

ooops that was "Risky Business" with Tom Cruise. Sorry. You guys just spammed the thread.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Sprayber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2002, 21:41   #246
Lonestar
inmate
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Sprayber
What? I can't leave you children alone for five days without you messing up the house, wrecking my car, and having a wild party that involves perverted and deviant behavior?

ooops that was "Risky Business" with Tom Cruise. Sorry. You guys just spammed the thread.
Sssshhh!!! Don't tell Sprayber, the babysitter's dead!
Old May 23, 2002, 00:29   #247
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

You were supposed to hide the torso, Lonestar! Where did you stash it?

Oops, did I say that out loud?

Old May 23, 2002, 03:48   #248
Mr. President
Emperor

Hope no-one takes exception to my new Beyond Alpha Centauri ad-line. It was intended to be tongue-in-cheek, and slightly mocking the stereotype of fan-fiction writers as socially inadept details dictators. If anyone doesn't like it, just let me know.

By the way, my new location text does not, thankfully, mean I've gone Buddhist; it's yet another reference to Magic: The Gathering, the collectible card game that desensitizes teenagers' minds to witchcraft.
Old May 23, 2002, 05:35   #249
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 14:30
I don't care about it Mr. President- I think it is sarcastically humorous.
-
Lonestar-soon Yang will be notified of LP 658-2. Don't worry.

General Tacticus-sorry if it sounds rather rude, but that was what I was going for.

.....uh-oh, with Sprayber here, he's gonna see all the Hive ruckus I've been committing.

Just got back from Gordon Biersch and playing Half Life: CounterStrike. Thought I'd fill you in on stuff that's happening in frankychanland.
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Frankychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2002, 06:32   #250
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Lysander has now sent his response to Yang. This was a bit overdue but I was reading some other stuff as I was writing it and got distracted.
Old May 23, 2002, 13:35   #251
Sprayber
Emperor

Franky and Genereal: Where are you guys taking this. When the Spartans find out that Hive warships are in the picture it will mean war with the hive and almost certain intervention in the Cadre system in some form or another.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old May 23, 2002, 15:05   #252
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

It'll be Austria-Hungary in WWI all over again.
Old May 23, 2002, 16:10   #253
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by frankychan
It'll be Austria-Hungary in WWI all over again.
ok. The Hive can play Austria-Hungry
Old May 23, 2002, 19:23   #254
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Quote:
General Tacticus-sorry if it sounds rather rude, but that was what I was going for.
No problem. I imagine Yang would kind of POed with having to send LYsander more help, esp. with all the other stuff going on.

Quote:
Franky and Genereal: Where are you guys taking this. When the Spartans find out that Hive warships are in the picture it will mean war with the hive and almost certain intervention in the Cadre system in some form or another.
Well, the Hive ships were called because Menelaus still has the Cadre fleet, and the rebels will be in deep **** if he keeps it. Of course Lysander's victory certainly isn't going to be easy, regardless of what he may think...
Anyway, would the Hive/Spartans actually just agree to leave the Cadre alone if the alternative was war? BTW the main function of the Hive ships, namely taking out the loyalist ones, will be largely complete by the time the Spartan can even think about intervening.
Old May 23, 2002, 19:33   #255
Mr. President
Emperor

Quote:
Anyway, would the Hive/Spartans actually just agree to leave the Cadre alone if the alternative was war?
That would be interesting, actually, seeing as there's been a lot of war recently. If the Hive and Spartans do become involved, pretty much the only way the greater plot can go is war, since the Drones would probably be dragged in, and others after that.
Old May 23, 2002, 20:28   #256
Sprayber
Emperor

I'm not wanting another war either. But what would you expect the Spartans to do when they learn that Hive warships have entered the conflict? They would rather not, but they can't be expected to sit back and just let the Hive interfere in what Sparta considers a very sensitive area. I understand that the Spartans couldn't do anything to stop the Hive ships from destroying the Cadre fleet, but you can expect a fleet to be sent and destroy any and all ships that present a threat in that system. It can't be much of a surprise who has sent them. I mean this guy wants to fight the Spartans anyway, so it shouldn't be a surprise when Spartan Marines show up with a fleet or maybe two to back it up. Once the Hive fleet shows up and does their job, the Spartans will not be unable to keep from being involved.

To be clear. the Spartans do not want to get involved. They would rather stay out of it, but the involvement of the Hive or any third party in the Cadre civil war will not be ignored by Sparta. The pressure on Kessel is already great for not fighting on with the Terrans and for not fighting the Hive. For him to not counter a move such as this would mean him loosing respect from the military.
Old May 23, 2002, 20:35   #257
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Yeah, I can understand that. I was just wondering how far either side is actually willing to go. I really don't want another full-scale war either - though maybe this could turn into a Korean War-style thing, with the fighting confined to the Cadre system?
Old May 23, 2002, 20:45   #258
Sprayber
Emperor

How about this.

After the Cadre ships are destroyed, the Spartans(with or without being asked?) sets up a blockade of the system preventing all ships from leaving or entering the system. The cadre can fight their war on the planet and if the hive tries to send anymore ships or troops in they would be attacked by the Spartan fleets blockading the system.
Old May 23, 2002, 20:52   #259
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

That sounds like a pretty good idea. What would the Spartan reaction be if it looked like Lysander was about to win?
Old May 23, 2002, 20:57   #260
Lonestar
inmate
King

Psst! I need y'all to mosy over to the OT and vote for the AECCP in the election!

Thanks.
Old May 23, 2002, 21:16   #261
Mr. President
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Lonestar
Psst! I need y'all to mosy over to the OT and vote for the AECCP in the election!

Thanks.
I already did.

I understand completely that Sparta would feel the need to intervene. Even the Drones would probably be itching to jump in (the Administration is currently very anti-Hive). Firaxis would be very wary of armies charging into the Borderlands.

So, whatever you decide is cool with me; I'll shape my charges' reactions accordingly.
Old May 23, 2002, 21:19   #262
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by GeneralTacticus
That sounds like a pretty good idea. What would the Spartan reaction be if it looked like Lysander was about to win?

Good question. Considering the fact that Lysander wants a war with Sparta, I think the Spartans would quickly do whatever was necessary to render the Cadre sterile. They wouldn't attempt a full invasion I don't think, but would destroy all space stations, ships, and destroy major industrial centers. In effect, they would attempt to strip the Cadre of it's ability to leave the planet. I don't know how many people are on the planet so I don't know how difficult that would be. If Lysander was more resonable, Sparta really wouldn't care who was in charge. But if he pursues with his war with Sparta, then there wouldn't be much choice for the Spartans. If it is proven that the new government intends to ally with the Hive then I can't see a reason why the Spartans would risk having the Cadre at Sparta's back while it fights the Hive. Laekaemon would have to be removed from the equation before the Hive is confronted.
Old May 23, 2002, 21:50   #263
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Well, Lysander is basically obsessed with the idea of destroying Sparta, so there's pretty much no prospect of him being resonable (for him, being 'reasonable' constitues killing any Spartan you see, and any that you don't see as well). The whole thing isn't so much a power stuggle as a stuggle over ideology. Lysander wuld have no problem with Menelaus if it wasn't for the alliance with the Spartans

If the Spartans decided to essentially hamstring the Cadre as you suggested, the difficulty would largely depend on the amount of effort they put in. Considering that Sparta has more soldiers than Laekdaemon has people, I doubt it would be that hard unless:

a) The Hive made a pretty massive intervention,

and/or

b) The Spartans didn't send enough troops in.
Old May 23, 2002, 21:55   #264
Mr. President
Emperor

What is Lysander's motivation for seeking the destruction of Sparta? Just interested for background.
Old May 23, 2002, 22:02   #265
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

1) He has no idea what fighting the Spartans was like before (he joined up right before the cease-fire), so he doesn't doubt that Sparta can be defeated.

2) He believes totally in the original Cadre ideology, which required the overthrow of the Spartan government.

3) He has absolutely no trust at all in the Spartans, after the last Leonidas (Menelaus' predecessor) was assassinated.
Old May 23, 2002, 22:30   #266
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
1) He has no idea what fighting the Spartans was like before (he joined up right before the cease-fire), so he doesn't doubt that Sparta can be defeated.

2) He believes totally in the original Cadre ideology, which required the overthrow of the Spartan government.

3) He has absolutely no trust at all in the Spartans, after the last Leonidas (Menelaus' predecessor) was assassinated.
Maybe Lysander needs a demonstration of what Sparta can do when properly motivated.
Old May 23, 2002, 22:32   #267
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

That's exactly what he needs, exactly what he didn't get, and exactly what he will (hopefully) get in future.
Old May 23, 2002, 22:36   #268
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
Well, Lysander is basically obsessed with the idea of destroying Sparta, so there's pretty much no prospect of him being resonable (for him, being 'reasonable' constitues killing any Spartan you see, and any that you don't see as well). The whole thing isn't so much a power stuggle as a stuggle over ideology. Lysander wuld have no problem with Menelaus if it wasn't for the alliance with the Spartans

If the Spartans decided to essentially hamstring the Cadre as you suggested, the difficulty would largely depend on the amount of effort they put in. Considering that Sparta has more soldiers than Laekdaemon has people, I doubt it would be that hard unless:

a) The Hive made a pretty massive intervention,

and/or

b) The Spartans didn't send enough troops in.
There isnt really an alliance with the Spartans. Just no fighting. Is Lysander's opinion a popular one in the population or do most of the population simply want to get on with life? What precentage of the population support war with Sparta and which want to build.
Old May 23, 2002, 22:38   #269
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
That's exactly what he needs, exactly what he didn't get, and exactly what he will (hopefully) get in future.
Do I detect some ideas floating around? What do you have in mind?
Old May 23, 2002, 23:05   #270
Frankychan
King

The Hive roleplay as Austria-Hungary? Well! I never! (j/k)

[sarcasm]Yang has absolutely no idea what Kessel is talking about concerning the Cadre....as you can see by the Hive's latest post [sarcasm]