Old May 11, 2002, 01:13   #1
The Rook
Warlord

Local Time: 19:31
Local Date: October 31, 2010
A good idea for armies/leaders (I think)
Maybe it has been brought up before, but the roads/railroads thread gave me an idea.

Why not have armies/leaders have a ZOC type affect that extends around them for so many squares. Not usre how many, but I would think 24 squares would be good. Within this ZOC, freindly units can uses any roads/rails as if they belonged to them normally. This gives armies a purpose to those who never use them. It also gives the attacker something useful to offset the defensive strengths, which I think is a little bit too much.

It might be a good idea to toss around. there could possibly be other benefits to armies like they allow invading units to heal in enemy territory (before battlefeild medicine)
Old May 11, 2002, 02:10   #2
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 18:31
Ouch. Then the attacker could use the infinite rail more easily to obliterate a civ in a single turn.

The problem is not the restriction against using enemy rails. It is the absurdity of moving all of a nations armies along rails an infinite distance in a single turn, every turn.
Old May 11, 2002, 08:46   #3
The Rook
Warlord

Yeah. I suppose you are right.
Old May 11, 2002, 12:06   #4
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

you probably dont mean ZOC, you probably mean leaders defy culture borders in reguards to rails. well, i don't like the idea, but it does add soem substantial power to the use fo armies.

i wouldnt make it so the army GAVE other units that ability, but units in an army should have a movement bonus, and this seems fairly well implimented, but i dislike the infinate rails. maybe they could use enemy roads to get 1/3 movement, even if it's a rail.
Old May 12, 2002, 00:47   #5
The Rook
Warlord

I meant ZOC. but probably not in the sense that you are thinking. The army would have a zone around it that it controls, or as you put it, defies cultural borders, but yeah, after rethinking it, it would be too powerful. Your ideas sound plausable.
Old May 12, 2002, 14:50   #6
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by The Rook
I meant ZOC. but probably not in the sense that you are thinking. The army would have a zone around it that it controls, or as you put it, defies cultural borders, but yeah, after rethinking it, it would be too powerful. Your ideas sound plausable.
in civ terms, a ZOC is an area that the unit has defensive capaibilites in, for example if you try to move past a calvary unit, the calvary unit gets a free shot. a 20 space ZOC would mean 20 free hits before a unit was within attackign range.