Old May 11, 2002, 22:59   #1
HuntrIsGod74831
Settler

Local Time: 00:33
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Plz Help
Im tryin to install civ3, and when i do, it goes to the screen, and i clikc on 'install civilization 3' and the installwizard loads, but then it goes to this message
'Ikernel has caused in error in . Ikernel will now close. If you continue to experience problems, try restarting your computer.'
quick help would be much appreciated
Old May 11, 2002, 23:26   #2
HuntrIsGod74831
Settler

please...i really need help
Old May 12, 2002, 04:44   #3
Ethelred
King

Local Time: 16:33
Local Date: October 31, 2010
We want INFORMATION. Its really hard to help without knowing what you have.

CPU
Memory
Motherboard
Sound Card
Hard drives
CD Rom or DVD
Video Card

Operating System and thats REALLY important.

Quote:
'Ikernel has caused in error in
Sure thats it? 'Ikernel? That sounds a bit odd.

If you have an older CD drive that could be the problem. It could be all kinds of things since the only thing you have said seems to be a bit off.

Ughh though here is one thing you can do. Make sure the disk is clean. No big dust spots or finger prints. Without more to go on thats it for now.
Old May 12, 2002, 04:59   #4
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 18:33
From Microsoft. Find it here

---
SYMPTOMS
When you attempt to install a program, you may receive an error message similar to one of the following:

Ikernel caused an Invalid Page Fault in module unknown.
Setup failed to launch installation engine, no such interface supported.
Error extracting support files: Class not registered.

CAUSE
This issue can occur when there are damaged files in the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Install Shield folder.

The Install Shield folder is similar to C:\WINDOWS\TEMP folder. After you install the program, the contents of this folder are no longer needed or used.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, delete the Install Shield folder.

Start Windows Explorer.

Browse to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Install Shield.

Right-click the folder, and then click Delete on the shortcut menu.

When the confirmation message appears, click Yes .

Restart your computer.
Old May 12, 2002, 06:14   #5
Ethelred
King

That looks like a problem that Windows should be able to handle on its own. They should update it.

I have to remember that one. When I saw the ' symbol in front of Ikernal I thought it was a typo. I am used to kernal32 errors.
Old May 12, 2002, 12:26   #6
HuntrIsGod74831
Settler

hey, i tried deleting the common files> install shield folder and restarting my comp, but while the folder is gone off of common files, whenever i try to install civ, i still get the same ikernal error. What is ikernal? can i search for it and delete it? plz, i need civ 3!...
Old May 12, 2002, 12:58   #7
Yolky
Prince

Local Time: 20:33
Try exchanging the CD for a new one where ever you bought it. It could be for some fluke the CD itself.

My friend had a problem once installing a game ages ago and I told him to return it for a new one and it worked.

Other wise I can't help you. Best of luck though.

Davor
Old May 12, 2002, 14:28   #8
Ethelred
King

Quote:
Originally posted by HuntrIsGod74831
hey, i tried deleting the common files> install shield folder and restarting my comp, but while the folder is gone off of common files, whenever i try to install civ, i still get the same ikernal error. What is ikernal? can i search for it and delete it? plz, i need civ 3!...
You still aren't telling what your system is. Information please. We cannot go around guessing about what you are using.

Ideas.

Run scandisk - you may have and likely do have corrupted files.

After you get scandisk to complete without errors then defrag.

Make sure the CD is clean.

Delete that folder AGAIN. That is where Ikernal.exe was. Its part of the programs installer. A dirty or just plain bad CD can cause the problem. So can a CD drive that can't handle SafeDisk II copy protection. If you have another CD drive try stalling from it.

Give us a bloody clue about your system if none of this works.
Old May 13, 2002, 17:00   #9
HuntrIsGod74831
Settler

i dont know all the specs on my computer...and im on someone elses at the moment, but when i get home, ill try to post the specs...btw, why is it that whenever i delete commonfiles > installShield, it keeps reappearing after i restart my comp?
its really frustrating
Old May 13, 2002, 17:12   #10
Ethelred
King

Quote:
Originally posted by HuntrIsGod74831
i dont know all the specs on my computer...and im on someone elses at the moment, but when i get home, ill try to post the specs...btw, why is it that whenever i delete commonfiles > installShield, it keeps reappearing after i restart my comp?
its really frustrating
At least tell the Operating System. Windows 95 98 98SE ME or Windows 2000 or Windows XP.

You could just delete the folder and then run the install without rebooting. I don't know if windows is taking it back out of the recycle bin or just reinstalling the stuff on you.
Old May 13, 2002, 17:21   #11
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

It's probably a system component that Windows restores anew when it restarts.

The good news is that HIG wont be stuck waiting for a PC repair bill. Hopefully he'll be back at home soon civ'in away.
Old May 13, 2002, 17:35   #12
Ethelred
King

Well I just deleted the files. Couldn't delete the folders. I couldn't even turn off the Read Only attribute. I sent the contents of the folders to the Recycle bin.

After a reboot the folders are still empty. This with Windows XP.

The folders however will not go away. Perhaps he tried to remove the folders instead of the files that in them. I think I will have find something to install now just to be sure I didn't hose my system.
Old May 13, 2002, 17:56   #13
Tuberski

Local Time: 19:33
Quote:
Originally posted by Ethelred
Well I just deleted the files. Couldn't delete the folders. I couldn't even turn off the Read Only attribute. I sent the contents of the folders to the Recycle bin.

After a reboot the folders are still empty. This with Windows XP.

The folders however will not go away. Perhaps he tried to remove the folders instead of the files that in them. I think I will have find something to install now just to be sure I didn't hose my system.

That would probably be a good idea Ethelred. Unless of course, you did screw it up. If you did you won't be able to read this for a few hours.

Finally have the custom Avatar!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old May 13, 2002, 19:10   #14
Ethelred
King

The only thing that could be buggered up by what I did was instalations. Besides I sent the stuff to the Recycle Bin. If the files had been regenerated I was going to try moving them to another drive so they couldn't be resurrected from the Bin.

I didn't know what I was doing but I did know what I wasn't doing. I knew there couldn't be a fatal mess.

Nice Avatar. Are you planning on annoying the Creationists?
Old May 13, 2002, 19:13   #15
notyoueither
Deity

Quote:
I didn't know what I was doing but I did know what I wasn't doing. I knew there couldn't be a fatal mess.

The preceding snippets have been saved and with your permission will be circulated within a small community of people involved in the PC service industry.
Old May 13, 2002, 19:49   #16
Ethelred
King

Well there wasn't a fatal mess. I have only made a couple of those. I wiped a hard drive once.

This isn't a work PC. Its MINE ALL MINE. I may abuse it however I wish.

I even play with the registery. It was a necessity while using beta ATI drivers till I found a better way to do it.
Old May 13, 2002, 20:08   #17
Tuberski

Local Time: 19:33
Quote:
The only thing that could be buggered up by what I did was instalations. Besides I sent the stuff to the Recycle Bin. If the files had been regenerated I was going to try moving them to another drive so they couldn't be resurrected from the Bin.

Nice Avatar. Are you planning on annoying the Creationists?
No, actually he is supposed to be Bigfoot thinking.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."