Old May 12, 2002, 18:08   #61
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 00:34
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by faded glory
no hitler was going to attack Yugo/greece anyway. Kesselring warned him about RAF intervention from Yugoslavia.

oh and about Italy, I was trolling

Italy never beat anyone in ww2
If italy had been successful in their invasion of Greece, Hitler could have invaded Russia sooner. Germany wouldn't be needed to fight in Greece.
Old May 12, 2002, 19:15   #62
faded glory
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud

If italy had been successful in their invasion of Greece, Hitler could have invaded Russia sooner. Germany wouldn't be needed to fight in Greece.

That is true, but Hitler's troops were set up and ready to kick ass on the border for 3 weeks prior to barbarossa. So, that arguement doesnt really hold water. He could of attacked earlier...but didnt think the winter would have been an issue.

And the Russians didnt really get the upperhand till 43'. 41 was a disaster, 42 was mostly a disaster, except stalingrad, and 43 the germans were still kickin ass in Khar'kov Salient. They fumbled at kursk.
Old May 12, 2002, 22:29   #63
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 20:34
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Saint Marcus
At the time of the bombing, the Germans were pinned down in three main areas. (Afsluitdijk, Rotterdam, Utrecht I believe). A german paratroop operation in the west of Holland resulted in a familiar for the germans and the paras were pinned down as well (there goal was to take The Hague, but failed miserably).
Sorry, the Germans were never "pinned down" in the Netherlands. They halted for a day or so at one point to consolidate their advances and to allow the troops in the south time to turn towards Belgium. Let's face it, once they were at the gates of Rotterdam they pretty much had the whole country.
Old May 12, 2002, 22:31   #64
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 17:34
Quote:
Originally posted by KrazyHorse
Suffering is listening to a German complain about the suffering they underwent in WWII.
Unless you're about to stipulate that every German civilian was complicit in the war crimes of the Nazis, then you'd have hard time justifying that the suffering of innocent civilians--whatever their nationality--during a war created by their politicians and generals is somehow qualitatively different from anyone elses. This is a surprisingly ignorant statement.
Old May 12, 2002, 22:47   #65
Dom Pedro II
King

Boris, that's absolutely right.

For example, my teacher was saying how we were justified in flattening Dresden because the Germans were the "bad guys". Same thing with Japan and the atom bomb. And it didn't matter because we ended up giving Germany and Japan lots of money after the war. I, of course, casually pointed out to him that any amount of foreign aid isn't going to help the guy and his family who were incinerated when the shockwave ripped through their house.

To All, face it, war on civilians is murder and killing another country's innocents for the death of your own is NEVER justified.

Furthermore, it kind of pisses me off with the slight hint of pretentiousness with which SOME people say that the Germans just rolled over the Low Countries and other regions. Just because their smaller and don't have very powerful militaries doesn't mean they should be looked down upon. There's nothing wrong with choosing to be peaceful. BTW, Strangelove, this isn't directed toward you and your last post...

I truly believe that America is the world's second chance. I only hope we get a third...
Old May 12, 2002, 23:04   #66
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Some people say we were justified at Dresden because the German troops had been killing civilians first. I always look at people who say that funny and ask, "then how does that in any way make us the good guys?"
Old May 12, 2002, 23:08   #67
Dom Pedro II
King

There are those days when I think America went into that war probably as decent as any nation up to that point could have been and came out worse than the people they had just beat.

I truly believe that America is the world's second chance. I only hope we get a third...
Old May 12, 2002, 23:08   #68
Boris Godunov
Emperor

I think a small nation with no means to militarily fend off the assault of a huge invading army has every right to acquiesce in order to protect the lives of its civilians. Hopefully they will resist under occupation in any way they can, though, rather than collaborating.

That being said, remember that in 1940 nobody had any idea what Hitler was going to do in terms of the Holocaust, so the full magnitude of occupation wasn't readily apparent. There was still a fairly pre-20th century mentality at work here.
Old May 12, 2002, 23:12   #69
Tingkai
Prince

Local Time: 08:34
Re: what did european countries do in WW2?
Quote:
Originally posted by paiktis22
ok so we know about Russia
we know about britain
we know about the US (not european yes thank you)
we know (or I know) about Greece
Serbia yes
Italy
France yes
what did the other european countries did?
did they put up any fight?
I seem to recall the Germans did something during WWII.
Old May 12, 2002, 23:18   #70
Dom Pedro II
King

I think that was a given.

Old May 12, 2002, 23:34   #71
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 02:34
[QUOTE] Originally posted by Akka le Vil

Holland : tried to fight, but was caught by surprise and crushed.]
no , you all suddenly became German ( belgium joke ok )

Belgium : fought with determination. Though, the king capitulated some times after the country has been conquered, ordering to his 500 000 soldiers to surrender (this made him appear like a traitor among his own population, and he was then forced to abdicate after the war).

we hold them fot about 15 days, they(germans) expexted to go through here in about 2 to 3 days

as for the king, the nation was divided over this and we almost when to somekind of revolt( civil war). the north against the south

[/QUOTE
Old May 12, 2002, 23:36   #72
KrazyHorse
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by GP

Oh, we inflicted plenty of suffering on them. And they inflicted usffering on each other too...
It's okay; it's just that my 2nd favourite Eurotroll didn't bite on this one.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old May 13, 2002, 00:14   #73
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 14:34
Your favorite is the little hairy Turkish tube steak?
Old May 13, 2002, 00:14   #74
KrazyHorse
Deity

Yup. The one with "more nicknames than Harry Belafonte".
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old May 13, 2002, 07:48   #75
our_man
Civilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 01:34
Ireland was neutral during the 2nd World War, or "The Emergency" as it is sometimes reffered to by historians over here. Churchill made some overtures to Ireland about giving back the North if Ireland joined in on the Allied side, but de Valera didn't take the bait. Dublin was bombed a few times by German forces who had mistaken it for Belfast, the worst incident on the North Strand leaving 41 people dead.

Subscribing to the old Fenian dictum, "Englands difficulty is Irelands oppurtunity", there was an initial upsurge in IRA activity in Britain until the Irish government started a policy of internment of IRA suspects. Throughout the war, Ireland, although neutral remained sympathetic to the Allied cause, interning German airmen shot down, but allowing British pilots back across the borders. Large numbers of Irishmen volunteered to serve in the British army against the Nazi threat. De Valera did make a terrible faux pas at the end of the war though when he signed the book of condolences at the German Embassy for Hitler's death.

An interesting fact is that one of the most prominent members of Goebbels propaganda machine was an Irishman by the name of William Joyce. He specialized in anti-British propaganda and became known as Lord Haw-Haw for his polished accent. The British got hold of him at the end of the war and hanged him for treason, which was strange, since he wasn't even British.
Old May 13, 2002, 12:58   #76
MOBIUS
Emperor

Local Time: 10:34
IIRC the Rotterdam incident was a tragic mistake, Holland had basically surrendered and the German ground control tried to call the planes back but too late. Most dropped their bombs, but some did manage to pull away in time...

As for Belgium, IIRC the King became exasperated at the dithering by the British and French forces whilst his country was being destroyed. The Belgians put up a fierce resistance just as they did in WWI - if anyone should feel betrayed, it was the Belgians by the British and French...

I think all countries did what they felt they should at the time - no one had any inkling of just what Hitler was about to unlease on the World...
Old May 13, 2002, 14:06   #77
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

KH, I didn't know I'm one of your favourites
Old May 13, 2002, 14:53   #78
Ozz
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by our_man
Churchill made some overtures to Ireland about giving back the North if Ireland joined in on the Allied side, but de Valera didn't take the bait.
There is no way Churchill would give N. Ireland to
the Irish republic. It guarded the inlet to the Mersey & the
Clyde were all the Atlantic shipping came into Britain. If your
going to quote Churchill try reading his memoirs, instead of your Fenian historians.

Chruchill had more foresight than that, he was P.O. ed
at parliment for giving up the Irish Naval bases (Cork) before
the war, because he knew de Valera would be happly to watch
Britain starve.

Quote:
Originally posted by our_man
An interesting fact is that one of the most prominent members of Goebbels propaganda machine was an Irishman by the name of William Joyce. He specialized in anti-British propaganda and became known as Lord Haw-Haw for his polished accent. The British got hold of him at the end of the war and hanged him for treason, which was strange, since he wasn't even British.
If he used a British passport, that is enough to convict him.
(A lot of Republician Irish did use British Passports in the 30s-40s)
Old May 13, 2002, 15:49   #79
Col Bigspear
Warlord

Location: Manchester, England. Im 1/2 Polish and proud of it!
I don't know if this has been posted (Can't be Arsed looking at all 3 pages)

Poland: Attacked from 2 sides. Free Polish Government established in London. Free polish Armed forces set up. Service men begin making their way to Allied countries( Including my Grandad). Polish Mathamatitions (SP?) pass on what they Know about ENIGMA.
Polish Free Army is involved in a few big battles (the taking of Monty Cassino, My GD fought there. Polish paras at Arnhem etc)
Old May 13, 2002, 15:53   #80
Ecthy
Emperor

the Poles thought they could beat us. wrong thought. and nowadays they claim they only lost because our guys were backed by the commies. typical.
Old May 13, 2002, 16:02   #81
ZoboZeWarrior
King

Local Time: 01:34
Italia wasn't very active during WWII. One of the rare Italian victory was against France which army was already destroyed by Germany : Italian air planes shot on civilians who were on the roads fleeing german army.

One of my taunt was killed by an italian pilot while she was keeping sheeps. She was 9.
Old May 13, 2002, 16:05   #82
Ecthy
Emperor

arse, wasn't that one... happens when soldiers get blinded by the ideology behind it all
Old May 13, 2002, 18:37   #83
Lonestar
inmate
King

Like to point out Ecuador supplied 25 soldiers and a Swiss Army Knife(tm).
Old May 13, 2002, 22:30   #84
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by faded glory

That is true, but Hitler's troops were set up and ready to kick ass on the border for 3 weeks prior to barbarossa. So, that arguement doesnt really hold water. He could of attacked earlier...but didnt think the winter would have been an issue.

And the Russians didnt really get the upperhand till 43'. 41 was a disaster, 42 was mostly a disaster, except stalingrad, and 43 the germans were still kickin ass in Khar'kov Salient. They fumbled at kursk.
In 42' Russians retook Kiev.

At the very least- the delay of the German offensive allowed the Allies time to prepare. The germans wasted troops in Greece to hold down the partisans, etc.
Old May 13, 2002, 22:33   #85
DarkCloud
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov
Unless you're about to stipulate that every German civilian was complicit in the war crimes of the Nazis
They all were, unless they actged against the regiem.
They knew what was happening- and they allowed it to happen.
Of course, yes, they thought the Jews were subhuman- but that still implicates tehem as murderers since Jews are of course, considered Humans.

Therfore the German citizens got what they deserved.

Dresden may not have been deserved, since it wasn't an industrial target, but nearly every other target deserved to be destroyed, leveled to the ground- killing all the enemy.

Then yes, the allies should have helped rebuild germany and good will. But during war desperate measures are needed in desperate times.

--
Side note: I fully support the dropping of BOTH atom bombs on Japan- they got what they deserved.

If I was Japanese, I would have supported spreading chemical/bio weapons in America- becasue america would have got what it deserved.
---
I am even handed, am i not?
Old May 13, 2002, 22:45   #86
Boris Godunov
Emperor

No, DarkCloud, I'd say you were just disturbed. Tell me how a 6 yr old Japanese girl in Hiroshima got what she deserved.
Old May 13, 2002, 22:52   #87
Natan
Prince

Local Time: 19:34
The argument that civillians tacitly participate the acts of their regime simply by virtue of being its citizens is dangerous and disturbing.
Old May 13, 2002, 23:57   #88
KrazyHorse
Deity

I remember people (not you, Natan) making that argument about Afghans...
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old May 14, 2002, 03:03   #89
Saras
Emperor

Local Time: 03:34
Re: Chiune Sugihara
Quote:
Originally posted by Sprayber
This man isn't European, but he was busy doing something that few others were doing in that era. Saving lives. And he did it in Europe.

http://www.us-israel.org/jsource/Hol.../sugihara.html
There is a memorial in Kaunas and a street named in Vilnius.

Attracts hordes of Japanese tourists with HUGE cameras.
Old May 14, 2002, 03:16   #90
Zkribbler
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud

Dresden may not have been deserved, since it wasn't an industrial target, but nearly every other target deserved to be destroyed, leveled to the ground- killing all the enemy.

Then yes, the allies should have helped rebuild germany and good will. But during war desperate measures are needed in desperate times.
135,000 dead. The greatest one-day slaughter in human history.