Old May 12, 2002, 12:49   #1
Yolky
Prince

Local Time: 20:34
Local Date: October 31, 2010
SO... we get to buy Civ III all over again, eh?
I am not shure if this was said before since I wasn't here for a while, but thought I would come buy since I just herd of the expansion pack being released.

I read that it will have multiplayer and a full editor. Wasn't that promised before?

Will we have to wait for the patches to come out after we buy the expansion pack to get what was promised?

Will we ever get our designers notes?

I for one will not buy it. Air fields? radar stations? I am not paying $50 canadian for it. That could have been done in a patch release.

Does anyone know of anything yet that can really grab me to buy this game? I havn't seen anything yet that would grab me or get excited about it. I am disapointed with Civ III but had some fun with it but not for very long.

Hoping this is the game what CIV III should have been. (or should I say it should be called Call to Power III)

hehe

Davor
Old May 12, 2002, 14:05   #2
zulu9812
King

Local Time: 00:34
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Ooh, this hasn't been discussed on countless previous occasions...
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old May 12, 2002, 14:07   #3
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 17:34
Oh, you will not pay for it, but you DO hope it becomes what you had always hoped it would be??? Gad, are you masochistic or what?

For the upteenth time, other great Civ games also took updates and/or XP's to get to their 'ideals'.

Examples:
Civ2, Civ2 Gold (came out HOW MANY YEARS after Civ2???)
CtP, CtP2 with YEARS of modding community support to get to a decent AI.

Okay, so you are just in shock, impatient & frustrated.
Just remember how many blissful (aka TOTALLY wasted) hours/days that $50C can bring!
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old May 12, 2002, 14:47   #4
CapTVK
Civilization II MultiplayerPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
King

A few games like Freeciv, civ-evo or Clash of Civilizations are missing on that list Jaybe. Is the price of 0$ canadian more to your liking?
Old May 12, 2002, 17:08   #5
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 19:34
I'm not going to buy the expansion. Firaxis has completely alienated me by producing such a crap version of Civ.
Old May 12, 2002, 17:34   #6
Sir Kruschev
Settler

isnt an XP normally a lot cheaper than the original disk ?
Old May 12, 2002, 17:44   #7
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 01:34
No. Its an urban myth put about to make you buy the XP in the mistaken impression that it is.
Old May 12, 2002, 19:47   #8
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 11:34
Its true - they used to be cheaper than the original game.
Old May 13, 2002, 00:54   #9
MosesPresley
Prince

I'm going to check the feedback here on the xp when it comes out. If all seems well, then I will buy it. Otherwise I will wait until it hits the bargain rack or they release the bonus discount version that always, eventually, comes out.

Civ 3 1.21f is good enough as is to hold me off until then. Vote with your money. It is the only thing the corporations understand.
"In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
—Orson Welles as Harry Lime
Old May 13, 2002, 09:29   #10
ACooper
Prince

Local Time: 18:34
I'd be willing to bet that everyone here will buy it or get a pirated copy. If it's the later I hope you burn in hell.
Old May 13, 2002, 11:06   #11
Akka
Prince

Local Time: 01:34
Quote:
Originally posted by ACooper
I'd be willing to bet that everyone here will buy it or get a pirated copy. If it's the later I hope you burn in hell.
No, thank, Hell is little too hot for me.
Old May 13, 2002, 13:38   #12
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 02:34
Quote:
Originally posted by ACooper
I think you're missing the point of warez. Warez is not about getting everything for free, it's just, what I would call, a demo of the game. If the pirated version can grab my interest for more than 2 weeks, then it's worth buying = I'll buy it! I have too many times bought a game were the demo looks promising, but the game just ended up in the trash withing hours

Sure, there's people around who'll do anything to get it for free and then just "forget" to buy it, even after enjoying the game for years, those people I don't have anything to do with, they're just common thiefes!
Old May 13, 2002, 13:46   #13
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

ADG, warez is in no way justified

there are stores(EB for example i think) which have a return policy

if you want to be sure you'll enojy the games you pay, use these stores. warez is thieft
Old May 13, 2002, 14:03   #14
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

MarkG is entirely right. Warez is indisputably theft. It's irrelevant how you use it, or even if you eventually buy it. You'll find that theives don't get aquitted because of "good intentions."
Old May 13, 2002, 14:30   #15
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

I know warez is illegal, but I'm no way going to pay tons of money for a game I hate withing hours of purchase. For reasons I never buy from online stores, and in Denmark (At least were I live) you can't get your money return if the game sux big time
Old May 13, 2002, 14:38   #16
Cyclotron
King

Quote:
Originally posted by ADG
I know warez is illegal, but I'm no way going to pay tons of money for a game I hate withing hours of purchase. For reasons I never buy from online stores, and in Denmark (At least were I live) you can't get your money return if the game sux big time
That's an entirely irrelevant argument. Theft, piracy, and illegal activities are illegal irregardless of your justifications. You not wanting to pay for software that might suck is the same as a car thief not wanting to pay for cars that might suck.
Old May 13, 2002, 15:23   #17
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

You do know you can test drive cars before you buy them, so your argument has nothing to do with software!!! And I don't care if people understands it or not, I'm just saying my oppinion!!!

But don't get me wrong, I'm not saying warez is only good!!!
Old May 13, 2002, 15:52   #18
JtheJackal
Warlord

Thats what demos are for
Old May 13, 2002, 16:03   #19
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

You can download the game if you want to, but I think I at least would have doubts before playing a pirate in MP. Why? There is no way for a person to prove that he has integrity while he is largely anonymous on the internet. Would you want to play against someone with no integrity? I think not. If you pirate the game, you are stealing it, which is a knock against your integrity. Would I play someone that has stolen the game? No. If they stole the game, how will I know that they won't cheat at it as well. There's not much of a distinction in my eyes between lying and stealing, they're just different sides of the same coin.

About the downloading to test argument: You can rationalize this all you want, but its still illegal and to me, immoral. Its great to cheat the programmers etc, who have worked hard to put out a product. Have you ever worked for anything in your life? How would you like it if someone didn't pay you for the services rendered, he just said, "well, it was just a test drive" Then, the next week, you get fired because you didn't make any money for your company?

What I find really irritating is the fact that piraters hurt their fellow gamers. What would happen if half of the people who bought civ3 instead pirated it. Would there be a civ4? No. Same thing for the XP. If a large number merely download the xp instead of buying it, why would firaxis bother to put out another one, later down the road?

buy the xp or don't buy the xp, but don't rationalize low class thievery by claiming that Firaxis promised you everything in the initial release anyway. Stealing is still stealing, even if it is only for a limted time.

[/end dad-mode]
Have a nice day.
Old May 13, 2002, 19:05   #20
MosesPresley
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG

there are stores(EB for example i think) which have a return policy
EB has changed their return policy. They will only accept the game back for store credit or exchange for the same title. Store credit is OK, but the same game? Anyway they are trying to discourage returns as much as possible. I recently bought and returned Warrior Kings. The game was constantly freezing and randomly crashing. The gameplay sucked too. When I told the clerk about the game freezing, he started to go to the shelf to get me a new copy. I said the game freezes. He stared at me uncomprehendingly. I asked if I could get something different and he reluctlantly agreed. It appears that Warrior Kings hates Nvidia cards. PC Gamer in their recent review made note of this too.

This post is not intended to endorse warez or piracy. I just wanted to clarify EB's return policy, at least in Delaware.
"In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
—Orson Welles as Harry Lime
Old May 13, 2002, 19:35   #21
Swissy
Civilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMRise of Nations MultiplayerIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerBtS Tri-League

Quote:
Originally posted by JtheJackal
Thats what demos are for
And we all paid $40US or more to get the Civ3 demo. Now we must pay $30US or more to get the complete game.
Old May 13, 2002, 19:41   #22
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Swissy

And we all paid $40US or more to get the Civ3 demo. Now we must pay $30US or more to get the complete game.
This is such a tired argument. You don't have to pay the 30 dollars, just walk away from the game if you don't like it.
Old May 13, 2002, 21:50   #23
Andrew_Jay
Prince

Local Time: 21:04
If I may be the devil's advocate here; you can't bash on ADG for trying out a warez version of a game first and then buying it. Sure, warez are illegal and are made for an illegal purpose, however, ADG and many others have found a LEGAL use for them. What's wrong with trying out the full game and then buying it? You don't go into a store and buy a coat based on a "demo" of the coat where the clerk only lets you wear the sleeve, and sometimes it's okay to want to try the full game before buying. The important thing is that people unltimately do buy the game. Not saying everyone does, but some do, so you can't damn them for using a less then legal trial of a games before paying.
Then again, one could argue that downloads of warez games ultimately contribute to greater ripping/craking/etc.
Also, what if someone doesn't like the game after playing the full version for free? Though, it can be said at least they didn't have to waste their money on a crappy game.
Old May 13, 2002, 22:01   #24
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew_Jay
If I may be the devil's advocate here; you can't bash on ADG for trying out a warez version of a game first and then buying it. Sure, warez are illegal and are made for an illegal purpose, however, ADG and many others have found a LEGAL use for them. What's wrong with trying out the full game and then buying it? You don't go into a store and buy a coat based on a "demo" of the coat where the clerk only lets you wear the sleeve, and sometimes it's okay to want to try the full game before buying. The important thing is that people unltimately do buy the game. Not saying everyone does, but some do, so you can't damn them for using a less then legal trial of a games before paying.
Another analogy: I would argue that its more similar to those people who buy dresses (don't want to be sexist, i'm sure that some men do this too), take it home, put it on, fold in the tags, and then return it the next day. Isn't that more similar to the warez? Trying it out for a few days, getting your fun out of it (or lack thereof) and then not buyign it when you get bored with it? (or is this only a sitcom phenomenon?)

Quote:
Then again, one could argue that downloads of warez games ultimately contribute to greater ripping/craking/etc.
Also, what if someone doesn't like the game after playing the full version for free? Though, it can be said at least they didn't have to waste their money on a crappy game.
This is really my problem, the fact that most people probably don't go out and buy the game even if they do like it. Why go out and spend 70 bucks for something you already have on your harddrive? Awfully tempting, no one will know about it.

I wouldn't have a problem with the downloading to try out, if I actually thought people would go out and buy the game if it worked and was good. Perhaps this would even be a way to cut down on crappy games. Maybe I'm cynical here, but I just don't think people would do that. Some yes, all, no.
Old May 13, 2002, 22:05   #25
MOHonor
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel

This is really my problem, the fact that most people probably don't go out and buy the game even if they do like it.
Well that's true but most warez kiddies would never buy the game to begin with. Not to support these criminals (any other laws you just feel like ignoring?) but most of them are under 18 and live with their parents. Their allowance from mowing the lawn is going to pokemon and pimped beer.
Old May 13, 2002, 23:45   #26
Cyclotron
King

Quote:
Sure, warez are illegal and are made for an illegal purpose, however, ADG and many others have found a LEGAL use for them.
Okay, let's get one thing straight:

You can't put something illegal to "legal" use. If something is illegal, it is illegal. Case closed.

Any questions? There is no justification for warez.
Old May 14, 2002, 01:00   #27
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

cyclo, you are right on moral and ethical grounds...as an American I must say that you are on shaky practical ground. After all, do you think that the movers and shakers in this country got where they are legally?

Grow up pal.
Old May 14, 2002, 01:47   #28
TechWins
King

Local Time: 17:34
Quote:
as an American I must say that you are on shaky practical ground. After all, do you think that the movers and shakers in this country got where they are legally?
So you're justifying piracy with other wrongful actions?
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old May 14, 2002, 01:47   #29
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 10:34
Its all about funding Sid's fabulous lifestyle

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old May 14, 2002, 02:36   #30
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by cyclotron7

If something is illegal, it is illegal. Case closed.
So you wouldn't have drunk alkohol during the "prohibition" ?
I know I would.

PS I didn't intend to justify piracy. Piracy is theft.