Old May 12, 2002, 23:08   #1
Bloody Murrey
Settler

Local Time: 00:36
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Multiplayer/FPS???
Hi,

Could some one tell me just how "enhanced" the combat system is in CivIII? I Really like the Civ concepts but the chess like view of the game tends to bore me after awhile. I never finished Panzer General or C&C because of this and now I fear I will never complete Civ CTP. If only they could throw in some FPS in the combat mix to let you take control of the supreme leader to the grunt on the front lines. Give me Unreal Civ

Also, a shove in the right direction to find regularly scheduled online multiplayer games would be appreciated
Old May 12, 2002, 23:11   #2
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 20:36
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Re: Multiplayer/FPS???
Quote:
Originally posted by Bloody Murrey
Hi,

Could some one tell me just how "enhanced" the combat system is in CivIII? I Really like the Civ concepts but the chess like view of the game tends to bore me after awhile. I never finished Panzer General or C&C because of this and now I fear I will never complete Civ CTP. If only they could throw in some FPS in the combat mix to let you take control of the supreme leader to the grunt on the front lines. Give me Unreal Civ
MAYBE it's just me, but I don't see a Civ FPS coming out any time soon...

*Imagines Lincoln and Joan of Arc running down dark corridors with Uzis... then flees from the thread very quickly*
Old May 12, 2002, 23:43   #3
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 02:36
why not, it happenned with red alert

don't be suprised if it does happens!!
Old May 12, 2002, 23:46   #4
Captain
King

Local Time: 19:36
i think Battlezone II was like that. RTS but you also operate mech, like mechwarrior. So RTs and FPs combined, but not sure how that actually worked since i didn't play it, just heard about it.

not sure i want it for civ 3 tho (or civ 4,5...)
not in the same spirit
just my 2 cents
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
Old May 13, 2002, 05:14   #5
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 11:36
This reminds me scarily of XCom.
Old May 13, 2002, 10:34   #6
Bloody Murrey
Settler

Local Time: 00:36
Multiplayer???
First of all, thank you all for the feedback (even though it looks like I have no support).
Just in case I was misunderstood I would like to explain a little. What I meant about the FPS was that I thought we should have the "option" to play out battles (or any other aspect of the game) in as much detail as we wish. In my case I would like to take direct control of military units in combat. Others might like enhanced trade, negotiating, or diplomacy. One could even take control of policing the streets of any rioting cities. I realize that this would make a very large game but I think it would be worth it, especially for the replayability.

Now for my other question.
How do the multiplayer games work? Do you have scheduled times to log in and play a few moves a day? Is it like the old email games where everyone gets one turn a day? Or do you just start a game and hope you get to finish it out?

Thanks again for your feedback.
Old May 13, 2002, 10:37   #7
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 20:36
Everyone wants a little something more from the game, but it's so mainstream now, if they change too much, then they may lose a large contingent of their buyers... in other words, don't expect much to ever change with the Civ series...

As far as MP, there is going to be a simultaneous turn system (where you play your turns all at the same time), as well as a regular system (each person takes their turn), and play-by-email as well. At least, as far as what's known.