Old May 13, 2002, 14:09   #1
Navyman
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:37
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Commemorating Military Victories
One of the things that I would like to see added to the Civ series is the military victory monument.

For instance if there a was a collosal battle that the player won, the capital city will get the opportunity to build a small wonder commemortaing that victory. Like the L' Arc de Triomphe or Trafalgar Square, etc. Or for that matter if you capture the enemy capital, another victory monument can be built. And/or if you completely annialate a civ another small wonder will be made available. These small wonder will make culture but also increase econonomy (more tourists ), increase production (inspiring the people), etc.

Also, I am a big fan of satisfaction. I like to feel satisfied when I accomplish something in the game like winning a war by getting th enemy to capitulate or destroying them all together. One of the ways I feel satisfied in other games is when they show my stats.

So, what I propose is that after each war that is completed (won or lost) a consise stat list be made available.
The stats could include:
- Number of units made during the war and then break it down by types
- Cities captured/lost with names
- Civilians killed (razings, pop-rushing)
- If there were any "epic" battles (more than 10 units from each side involved)
- Territory lost/gained
- etc

Something that lists the achievements/bumblings that occured during the war in a consise way so that wars that lasted for 20-30 turns are not just forgotten as soon as the treaty is signed or the civ destroyed. So that at the end of the game, the player can see the wars summarized.

I think the Victory Monuments and the war summaries would do a great deal towards giving the player more "satisfaction"

What do you chaps think?
Old May 13, 2002, 15:15   #2
HazieDaVampire
King

Local Time: 00:37
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Having this would be really cool, it would be even better if we could name parts of the world that we have discovered (e.g. chazawaza jungle, on the island on cocomunger.). Then in the new ‘monument’ screen it could tell you about the war against the Japanese on Cocomunger island, a great battle air battle over the Chazawaza jungle took place, and 500 pilots were lost, along with 200 Paras from the so-and-so regiment where lost in this major battle. It could also clock how many units died (Each unit could count as 50 men/craft). If you have loads of air units died, it can say it was an air battle, if you lost loads of tanks/mech infantry it could be a blitzkrieg.

I would so like to name parts of the world, and we could even have a mini play back screen that shows you how that small battle went like when you finish a game (mini map play back)
Old May 13, 2002, 15:17   #3
HazieDaVampire
King

also like to be able to name units/armys, like in imperium galactica 2
Old May 13, 2002, 15:25   #4
Akka
Prince

Local Time: 01:37
Quote:
also like to be able to name units/armys, like in imperium galactica 2
And places, like in Alpha Centauri.
Old May 13, 2002, 15:39   #5
HazieDaVampire
King

i said that in my first post!, it should be like, the line tool in MS paint, keep on drawing lines till they all join, then name that land the shape is over.
Old May 13, 2002, 15:53   #6
Sean
Prince

All great ideas guys. I often feel that my Civ does not reward my conquest success enough...

But seriously, it would add to the 'feel' of the game a whole lot.
Old May 13, 2002, 16:02   #7
HazieDaVampire
King

It shouldn't just happen when you win, if you lose about half your army it should ask you if you want to create one, building one after a battle could make your civs a little happyer. Being able to name them too would be cool, The Japanese/American war. it should place them in parts of the city where a wonder would usualy stand (a wonder sombody else built so that space isn't going to be used is it!).
Old May 13, 2002, 16:09   #8
zulu9812
King

Yeah, there should ne more scope for personalising things in Civ3
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old May 13, 2002, 16:19   #9
Navyman
Chieftain

After completely destroying a civ, the winning civ should be given the chance to build a small wonder that increases research and production by a modest but powerful 10% due the incorporation of scientists and workers from the defeated civ into the labor pool of the winning civ.

This should give every civ an incentive not to let any other civ be wiped out because the winning civ will get a pretty effective bonus. Right now, no civ gives a rat's rear end if a big civ just mauls a weak one. Also, it would make the computer civs more interested in protecting a weak civ from the human infidels.
Old May 13, 2002, 16:55   #10
Carver
Prince

Local Time: 18:37
Quote:
Originally posted by Navyman
After completely destroying a civ, the winning civ should be given the chance to build a small wonder that increases research and production by a modest but powerful 10% due the incorporation of scientists and workers from the defeated civ into the labor pool of the winning civ.
I like the idea, but this would increase the frustration when I knock out a civ, yet another civ takes the last city and their 'rampaging' forces get credit for the kill.
Old May 13, 2002, 17:16   #11
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 20:37
I don't see something like that happening... enough emphasis is placed on wars in this game, and, to be honest, I like wars, but this isn't a war game. Adding things like this to Civ would make wars an even more important part of the game, and as it is, enough time is spent fighting wars.
Old May 13, 2002, 17:24   #12
HazieDaVampire
King

at least give us the tool to name areas, i want to name seas and jungles and islands and reagons!
Old May 13, 2002, 17:24   #13
zulu9812
King

Still, on the point about personalising your civ: it's be nice to create and name regions in your empire, group together units and keep them to gether over time under one name (so you get regiments with histories) and so on.
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old May 13, 2002, 17:45   #14
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 02:37
Re: Commemorating Military Victories
Quote:
One of the things that I would like to see added to the Civ series is the military victory monument.

For instance if there a was a collosal battle that the player won, the capital city will get the opportunity to build a small wonder commemortaing that victory. Like the L' Arc de Triomphe or Trafalgar Square, etc. Or for that matter if you capture the enemy capital, another victory monument can be built. And/or if you completely annialate a civ another small wonder will be made available. These small wonder will make culture but also increase econonomy (more tourists ), increase production (inspiring the people), etc.

Also, I am a big fan of satisfaction. I like to feel satisfied when I accomplish something in the game like winning a war by getting th enemy to capitulate or destroying them all together. One of the ways I feel satisfied in other games is when they show my stats.

So, what I propose is that after each war that is completed (won or lost) a consise stat list be made available.
The stats could include:
- Number of units made during the war and then break it down by types
- Cities captured/lost with names
- Civilians killed (razings, pop-rushing)
- If there were any "epic" battles (more than 10 units from each side involved)
- Territory lost/gained
- etc

Something that lists the achievements/bumblings that occured during the war in a consise way so that wars that lasted for 20-30 turns are not just forgotten as soon as the treaty is signed or the civ destroyed. So that at the end of the game, the player can see the wars summarized.

I think the Victory Monuments and the war summaries would do a great deal towards giving the player more "satisfaction"

What do you chaps think?
hi ,

if it could not be included then it would be nice to have it written down as a "casualty-timeline" , ....and to see it with the military advisor or so , ...

have a nice day
Old May 13, 2002, 18:15   #15
Navyman
Chieftain

If this isn't a war game then what is the Modern Times for? There certainly isn't anything else to do!

Getting back to the topic...

I would like at least the wars to be summarized at the end of the war. Where the end of the war is marked by peace treaty and or destruction of the civ(s). At least that much seems feasible.

I like the idea of having monuments to commemorate battlefield victories but be limited to producing just culture.
Old May 13, 2002, 18:20   #16
HazieDaVampire
King

yeah, nice, you should get to build them when you get a major defeat or its a long drown out war/battle when loads of people died.

you win war = big white memorial to show whos boss (Also opens a screen to show how units moved around).

you lose more stuff than win before a peace treaty is made = big black memorial with a field of crosses (graves).

You win but its a long battle with no clear winner (you mite of killed them, or taken most of their stuff, but you've lost alot of units) = White memorial with lots of crosses!
Old May 13, 2002, 18:23   #17
HazieDaVampire
King

I'd also like to see revival of civs (When allies invaded france to get rid of germans, thos citys didn't become American/English did they?). I'd also like to see an AI that feels sorry for a civ thats losing alot of citys, and the enemy is razing them all, or slautering their troops!.
Old May 13, 2002, 19:45   #18
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

Quote:
If this isn't a war game then what is the Modern Times for? There certainly isn't anything else to do!
It's all technical my friend.

As stated in another thread (I think?), Civ is just too mainstream and "dulled around the edges" for a large audience. Some people when they see a screen that says "please enter a name for your victory statue to place in your capital" would say "what the hell is this and why is it wasting my playing time?" I'd like to see a lot of things more complex and in-depth in Civ, but that's just not the kind of game it is.
Old May 13, 2002, 19:54   #19
Coracle
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip

It's all technical my friend.

As stated in another thread (I think?), Civ is just too mainstream and "dulled around the edges" for a large audience. Some people when they see a screen that says "please enter a name for your victory statue to place in your capital" would say "what the hell is this and why is it wasting my playing time?" I'd like to see a lot of things more complex and in-depth in Civ, but that's just not the kind of game it is.
We all expected and hoped years ago that Civ 2's successor would be more sophisticated and involved with more scenario capabilities, more techs, more units, etc.

Instead we did indeed get a dumbed down version with Civ 3 to appeal to a lower level, and to those whose dismal "knowledge" of military history is almost as bad as Firaxis'.
Old May 14, 2002, 01:14   #20
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Man if you start comparing the innovation in EU with Civ3 it really looks awful, doesn't it.
Old May 14, 2002, 01:40   #21
nationalist
Warlord

I like the idea of getting to build a small wonder in your capital (provided that wonder is not too expensive. Maybe 200 shields or sop.) each time you destroy an enemy civ. It gives even more of an incentive to conquer your weaker neighbors, and makes the destruction of a civ a more momentious occasion.
"The great rule of conduct for us in regard to foreign nations is to have with them as little political connection as possible... It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world, so far as we are now at liberty to do it." George Washington- September 19, 1796
Old May 14, 2002, 08:06   #22
Cookie Monster
King

Definately want to be able to name units. Would settle for commemorating victorious wars, commemorating victorious battles might be a bit too much but I could be wrong.

Loved the ability to name places in SMAC/X

That's all for now, let me get to work......................
Old May 14, 2002, 08:19   #23
Jon Shafer

I think they should also add something like SimCity to the game, where you can actually plop text right down on the map if you want. Name all the rivers, important battle sites, provinces, etc. whatever you wanted. I think that would be pretty cool.
Old May 14, 2002, 09:09   #24
zulu9812
King

Now that's what I'm talking about! It's a great idea, I can't believ it's not in the game.
Old May 14, 2002, 11:34   #25
Captain
King

naming places (like smac) and units has been asked for countless times with almost 100% agreement. why no response by firaxis?

victory statues cool but not as necessary as the first. I'd just name a region after a battle, or after the civ I killed. (currently I rename their cities or name new ones in honour of their memory.)

civ 2 had the casualty list. we had a poll earlier asking for it back in Civ 3, and it was 100% agreement IIRC. I thought it would be a no-brainer to put it in. (we did want one change, we wanted the list to hold a dead civ's casualty list instead of having it disappear)

it's funny, Firaxis listens to lots of thing speople say and I am happy with many of their responses... but strangely, nothing I ever chime in on gets worked on. maybe it's bad luck?
it must be, because I've never been impolite to them, and I think most of my posts are rational, if not always feasible.

maybe I shouldn't say anything anymore, and then I won't hurt the chances for this request....
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
Old May 14, 2002, 11:43   #26
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 02:37
Xpack should definitely include some of the possibilities you mentioned. plus more stats i want to see spreadsheets
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old May 14, 2002, 12:06   #27
zulu9812
King

The ability to keep, say up to 12 units, together over the game would be cool as well. They could be regiments or companies which eventually acquire a history of their own. Not like 12-unit armies, so you the units in the regiment can be attacked seperately - thus you could have armies in regiments.
Old May 14, 2002, 12:22   #28
HazieDaVampire
King

They should have a distance from each other that they can go! two squares in all directions (must finish in this area)
Old May 14, 2002, 13:05   #29
Jon Shafer

Quote:
Originally posted by zulu9812
The ability to keep, say up to 12 units, together over the game would be cool as well. They could be regiments or companies which eventually acquire a history of their own. Not like 12-unit armies, so you the units in the regiment can be attacked seperately - thus you could have armies in regiments.
Each unit probably represents at least a division or regiment of about 2 to 3 thousand troops (at least for ground troops... I doubt 1 battleship unit represents 3000 battleships ). Though they could be organized as corps, armies (not in the civ III game sense of armies) or army groups.
Old May 14, 2002, 14:01   #30
zulu9812
King

I always thought of it as more a company of men: say, a few hundred.