View Poll Results: How do you plan on getting ahold of the XP?
willingly/happily pay for it soon after release 24 48.98%
reluctanly/angrily pay for it soon after release 2 4.08%
happily/non remorsefully pirate it soon after release 8 16.33%
reluctanly/guiltily pirate it soon after release 1 2.04%
wait for reviews before deciding to pay for it happily 6 12.24%
wait for reviews before deciding to pay for it angrily 2 4.08%
pirate the game well after release non remorsefully 1 2.04%
pirate the game well after release guitily 0 0%
have no intentions of playing the XP 2 4.08%
other 3 6.12%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 13, 2002, 22:49   #1
TechWins
King

Local Time: 17:39
Local Date: October 31, 2010
At This Point How Do You Plan on Getting Ahold of the XP?
EDIT: Title should read: " At This Point, How Do You Plan on Getting Ahold of the XP "

The answer to that for me would be willingly pay for it soon after release, even though, I was/am very dissapointed with the first release of Civ3.

Post your justifications to your answer, as well, please.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Last edited by TechWins; May 13, 2002 at 22:58.
Old May 13, 2002, 23:26   #2
Mikhail
Chieftain

Local Time: 18:39
I'll buy it for the civs (could care less about MP). So unless they completely fail on their civ choices, I'll be willing to buy it.
Old May 13, 2002, 23:30   #3
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 19:39
happily/non remorsefully pirate it soon after release

not to play it of course, but to playtest so that I can have a frame of reference for my future complaints....

just kidding

Old May 13, 2002, 23:44   #4
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 10:39
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The only reason I would buy it is if the Civ2 multiplayer community shifted to civ 3 - and I don't see that happening.

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old May 14, 2002, 06:49   #5
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

we (my close friends and i) actually planned our first game a while back (and you can probably find the thread discussing it) in which we were going to play the world map as Russia, Egypt, France, and China. we have a 5th who didnt buy civ3 (b/c of no MP) but i'm sure he'll buy the "chest" they'll most likely throw at the consumer, and play as the Zulu or something

but then again they still havent given us starting positions.
Old May 14, 2002, 09:12   #6
Akka
Prince

Local Time: 01:39
The main thing that interest me in the expansion is the editor, that should have been included in the first game. As I don't like to pay twice for the same product, I'll happily and without remorse pirate it.
If it happens that the other additions of the expansion prove themselves to be worth an expansion, THEN I will buy it.
Old May 14, 2002, 09:58   #7
Grumbold
Emperor

Pretty much second Akka's view. I don't want to play the game in its present form either solo or with others and new civs or little gimmicks won't change that. If you need the XP to get a proper editor and play other peoples scenarios then I will probably download it or buy it once it hits the bargain bin.
Old May 14, 2002, 10:44   #8
Playa del Carmen
Warlord

I'll get some reviews, read what people have to say about it here, then buy it anyway.
Old May 14, 2002, 10:56   #9
Dida
Prince

Local Time: 00:39
I will happily pirates the game.
I don't even use up half of my allowed T1 Bandwidth even though I'm downloading movies/mp3/games all the time.

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.
Old May 14, 2002, 11:40   #10
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 20:39
I'm going to wait until atleast the first post XP release patch to _possibly_ buy it. My beta testing of Civ III from the begining has left me with a very bad taste in my mouth when all things Civ are concerned. I haven't even played the last two patches because of this bad taste. I might just pick up and play the most recent patch, depending on what I read from the community.

E_T
Old May 14, 2002, 12:07   #11
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

reluctantly pay, NOT angrily. These are very different and should be two separate options

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old May 14, 2002, 12:17   #12
Dida
Prince

Even though I downloaded most of my games, for the good ones (or those that I believe to be good) I will actually pay for. Civ3 was one of those that I believed to be good. It proved otherwise. For this reason, I will never pay for the XP even it is selling for $0.01. I feel I deserve to get this thing for free. It is what the game should have been. They cannot charge me twice for 1 game. I don't call this pirating. It's simply making things fair.

Old May 14, 2002, 13:49   #13
Jawa Jocky
Prince

Local Time: 16:39
I will just keep playing with myself
Old May 14, 2002, 13:51   #14
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 20:39
And your a reason why.....
Quote:
Originally posted by Dida
Even though I downloaded most of my games, for the good ones (or those that I believe to be good) I will actually pay for. Civ3 was one of those that I believed to be good. It proved otherwise. For this reason, I will never pay for the XP even it is selling for $0.01. I feel I deserve to get this thing for free. It is what the game should have been. They cannot charge me twice for 1 game. I don't call this pirating. It's simply making things fair.
[RANT]
You are a reason why you have to have a _cracked_ version to play on your laptop. And why there are pressures to legislate these protections (which Gov really shouldn't even get involed)! If I want to have it (and I'll wait a while before I do) then I'll buy it. I'll look at my finacial outlook at the time (which by the way, is influanced by your pirateing) and decide if I can afford it. If I want it, but can't afford it, then you and your ilk are to blame, not the Corporations! Because they have to pay to try different ways to try to get you from pirateing it, that I (and others, even ultimately you too) have to pay more for it!

Why don't you go back and play with your kiddy freinds and let some adults have a ree exchange of ideas without you. Because Pirateing is VERY CHILDISH, and I wouldn't be suprised if you are under 15!

[/RANT]

I'll still wait for the XP patched before purchasing it.

E_T
Old May 14, 2002, 13:56   #15
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 02:39
Other: Same as one, but with change in time from soon after to as soon as the cricumstances* allows.

* As soon as it is releasedf AND I have access to a computer I can play Civ3 on. (I'll have to leave my home computer for a while, and I believe it will be released while I don't have the facilities to play it.)
Old May 14, 2002, 14:10   #16
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

I'll probably purchase it soon after release. I'm satisfied with the game right now, and as long as the XP adds some fresh and new stuff I think it will be worth it.
Old May 14, 2002, 14:40   #17
WarpStorm
King

Other: same as one, but I'm sure someone will give it to me
Old May 14, 2002, 15:18   #18
nato
Prince

I'm going to wait to see if it adds anything significant or not, like new features.

I will not buy it just because it has 8 new civs. Civs are simply not different or unique enough to make me spend money on it.

So if it adds actual features and $35 worth of content I will buy it. 35/50 = 70% ... it should add about 70% of what Civ3 itself had. 8 new funny face graphics is not near enough for me.

But if they deliver, I will buy it happily!
Old May 14, 2002, 15:40   #19
Dida
Prince

Re: And your a reason why.....
Quote:
Originally posted by E_T

[RANT]
You are a reason why you have to have a _cracked_ version to play on your laptop. And why there are pressures to legislate these protections (which Gov really shouldn't even get involed)! If I want to have it (and I'll wait a while before I do) then I'll buy it. I'll look at my finacial outlook at the time (which by the way, is influanced by your pirateing) and decide if I can afford it. If I want it, but can't afford it, then you and your ilk are to blame, not the Corporations! Because they have to pay to try different ways to try to get you from pirateing it, that I (and others, even ultimately you too) have to pay more for it!

Why don't you go back and play with your kiddy freinds and let some adults have a ree exchange of ideas without you. Because Pirateing is VERY CHILDISH, and I wouldn't be suprised if you are under 15!

[/RANT]

I'll still wait for the XP patched before purchasing it.

E_T

Don't blame me for your financial problem, kid. Ask your own papa or mama for why they could not provide you with a T1 connection so you can download cool stuff like everyone else. Also, try to ask them to take you to a doctor, (take the bus if your family does not effort to own a car). You need some rigorous medical treatment to curve your mental problem. You're jealous at other people, who have super fast connection, and get all his games for free and drive a BMW Z9. Just because you are not lucky enough to do this, doesn't mean you need to express your sorrow and pathetic jealousy by barking like a *****.
Go buy the game! I own MICROPROSE's stock, and it is people like you who keep my incoming flowing.

Old May 14, 2002, 15:50   #20
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 02:39
I'll most possible buy it when it comes out, but I may wait a bit for the first reviews!
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old May 14, 2002, 16:09   #21
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

I plan on buying it probably the day it comes out. happily, drooling.

Quote:
This is really a sad statement. Are you an American Dida? I hope not. This attitude and sense of entitlement over a game is embarrasing. Have you ever worked for anythiing in your life, or do you just steal everything and say that its simply making things fair?
Old May 14, 2002, 16:31   #22
Switch
Prince

One: Because, apparently unlike most people, I loved Civ3 (though I first played it with the first patch...a la X-Mas). I was also quite pleased with the quality of Sid Meier's Alien Crossfire.

However, again unlike most people, I'm not getting because of MP. I've never been good at MP strategy, so as long as the other enhancements are numerous and well done, then I'm happy.

Last edited by Switch; May 14, 2002 at 16:36.
Old May 14, 2002, 16:41   #23
Switch
Prince

Re: Re: And your a reason why.....
Quote:
Don't blame me for your financial problem, kid. Ask your own papa or mama for why they could not provide you with a T1 connection so you can download cool stuff like everyone else. Also, try to ask them to take you to a doctor, (take the bus if your family does not effort to own a car). You need some rigorous medical treatment to curve your mental problem. You're jealous at other people, who have super fast connection, and get all his games for free and drive a BMW Z9. Just because you are not lucky enough to do this, doesn't mean you need to express your sorrow and pathetic jealousy by barking like a *****.
Go buy the game! I own MICROPROSE's stock, and it is people like you who keep my incoming flowing.
We have every right to. And its not just connection speed or anything like that. Its the presence of even a slight amount of moral fibre, and economic sense. I have a fast enough connection to get many games, and those too big I could just burn from somebody else.

But I don't. Everything I use I rightfully and legally payed for, if it wasn't legally free (ie, freeware, hosted music from Audiogalaxy). I think your the one who needs to see a doctor about anti-depressants. Cause you are SAD.
Either that or get some mental growth hormones, 'casue you have to be 12 years old to have that kinda maturity.
Old May 14, 2002, 17:25   #24
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

actuallly, other. I got civ3 for christmas (yes I wasnt following the news cloesely at theat point) and I have my hopes pinned on the same thing for the XP (projected release dates seem appropriate for christmas, and i bet infogrames would force firaxis to finish and release for christmas even if it isnt very good as a result ).

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old May 14, 2002, 17:36   #25
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Re: Re: And your a reason why.....
Quote:
! I own MICROPROSE's stock, and it is people like you who keep my incoming flowing.

Bet that microprose stock is pretty high right now, esp. since the company hasn't been in existence for a couple years now.

Or do you own infogrames? that's a pretty pricey stock too, what's it at, 5 bucks? jeez, time to cash it in and let your parents quit their day jobs.
Old May 14, 2002, 18:21   #26
TechWins
King

Quote:
Well, if you had any financial sense you would understand his position. Also, considering you own Micropose stock I don't think you have a clue what you're talking about. So if I had a really nice car jacking tool all of you should suffer so I can steal my cars. Hey, you're just jealous that I can steal cars easily and you can't! That is the same mindset, so you should be able to easily agree with that, right? If not you are a severe hipocrit.

E_T is neither expressing his sorry or his pathetic jealousy. In fact I don't think he has any jealousy whatsoever, nor should he. I believe the only sorrow he has is for the lowly people who steal games.

Quote:
I feel I deserve to get this thing for free
How in the hell do you deserve this game for free? What did you do that set you up and above the rest of us to make you deserving of the game for free? Not that the rest of us deserve for this to game to be free, but how do you deserve for this game to be free more than the rest of us? If you can give proof that your Civ3 box clearly stated that MP would be in the game, then you're right, you deserve to get this game for free. Until further ado you don't deserve this game for free or for that matter anything for free.

Quote:
They cannot charge me twice for 1 game. I don't call this pirating. It's simply making things fair.
Last time I checked none of us, who bought the game, are getting a billing from Firaxis stating that we need to pay an extra $30 in order to continue to play Civ3. Did you happen to get one? You're them not charging twice isn't piracy. You're, also, right in that them not charging twice is fair. However, the situation may have changed over the past night.

Quote:
reluctantly pay, NOT angrily. These are very different and should be two separate options
I feel the poll provided sufficient options in which to vote under. There isn't enough of a distinct difference between angrily and reluctanly buy the game for me to create a seperate poll option, IMO.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old May 14, 2002, 18:48   #27
MOHonor
Chieftain

Well according to the state of the poll at this point firaxis must be pretty stoked. One of the great mysteries of this forum is how people with a negative opinion of the game start polls that completely undermine their position. Not amazingly true in this case since techwins is a level headed guy but it just reminded me.
Old May 14, 2002, 19:42   #28
TechWins
King

Quote:
Well according to the state of the poll at this point firaxis must be pretty stoked. One of the great mysteries of this forum is how people with a negative opinion of the game start polls that completely undermine their position. Not amazingly true in this case since techwins is a level headed guy but it just reminded me.
Yeah no kidding. Typically you get a lot of these < > directed towards Firaxis in polls, as well as, regular threads. Well, thanks for the compliment too. The only reason why I'll buy the game the day of release happily is for a few reasons. a) I have/will have the money to do so (maybe not with all the cool X-Box games coming out this fall, though ) without risking much b) I want to play a better version of Civ3 ASAP, even if I am/was dissapointed with the initial release of Civ3. c) To give the rest of you an honest review of the XP, unless the game won't work with my PC right away in which I will I get extremely mad like before d) I'm not going to download the game for various reasons and last but not least e) How can you buy a game and be angry with your purchases even before you have played the game?
Old May 15, 2002, 06:08   #29
Zoid
inmate
C4DG The HordeCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG Southern Cross

Two words: KaZaa and Morpheus
Old May 15, 2002, 07:45   #30
Jethro83
Prince

Local Time: 10:39
I'll buy it. Since I do enjoy Civ III at the moment, I'll buy it.

But if they don't pick the right set of civs to add, don't allow proper addition of extra civs of your own, or don't include a scenario editor, then I might be a bit reluctant in buying it.

I really couldn't give a damn about MP, apart from Hotseat (but then again, I have no friends who play Civ. Bloody Quake freaks!).