Old May 14, 2002, 01:47   #1
Giovanni Wine
NationStatesNever Ending Stories
King

Local Time: 01:39
Local Date: November 1, 2010
No Oil?
I was playing a game with: standard, 8 civs, wet, warm, continent

As I thought in the map there are lots of rivers, grassland, jungle and some plain.
What I wasn't expecting was that there was NO TUNDRA and NO DESERT!

I already established my Chinese Empire (my first try with China) fairly well, got one continent for myself and the other bigger one is divided by France, Russia, Aztecs, America and Greece.
and there is no tundra or desert there too.

I already explored all the seas and oceans and colonizad all free Islands, but still..... no tundra or desert !!!

In a few turns I'll get Refining and..... where will oil appear?
Does that means no oil?
How am I gonna build tanks or a modern navy without oil?

Is this thread in the right forum?

Saluti
"If God forbade drinking, would He have made wine so good?" - Cardinal Richelieu
"In vino veritas" - Plinio il vecchio
Old May 14, 2002, 02:21   #2
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 18:39
Local Date: October 31, 2010
No Oil for you!

Bad Giovanni. Warm and Wet is baaaad. Warm kills Tundra, although you will usually get a very little bit. Wet kills Desert although in some games you might still get a patch or two. The two combined lead to a never ending Medieval Age.

Second bad Giovanni. Very baaaad. Why create a new log in? It is the owners' whose line it is to say 'No log in for you!' Or have you already discussed it with them?
Old May 14, 2002, 03:12   #3
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Seconded. Warm/wet is for one, who wants to conquer the world with knights. You might even have trouble to get saltpeter. As for the login name, I don't even know why you did it. Giovanni August was an ok name, I can't figure why Giovanni Wine is better?!
Old May 14, 2002, 03:33   #4
Ethelred
King

Local Time: 16:39
Well maybe you can get a whole lot of global warming. If some plains flip to desert maybe a oil will eventually show.

Frankly though I think it time to either give up or start a cavalry rush.

This is the second person reporting this fluke. Yes it means no oil. Thats what it meant for the last person anyway. You could try amassing huge populations and build coal plants everywhere. Heat that planet up. Make life miserable for everyone and give all those lazy workers a load of pollution to work on.
Old May 14, 2002, 03:41   #5
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

But if no Oil is there to disappear, does anyone hear it?

Errr. If none disappears, will any show up?
Old May 14, 2002, 03:52   #6
Ethelred
King

Local Time: 16:39
Now that is interesting question. As far as I can tell oil only appears when it disapears somewhere else. However there is also supposed to be at least one of each resource for each civ. It is concievable that the game has the unplaceable oil in a buffer waiting for a spot to open up. I have my doubts on that though.

This question calls for FIRAXIS MAN to give an answer. If only FIRAXIS MAN could hear us. Commisioner Gordon must use the FIRAXIS LIGHT to summon their help in this our hour of need.

Maybe that will get someones attention.
Old May 14, 2002, 18:56   #7
Giovanni Wine
NationStatesNever Ending Stories
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph
Seconded. Warm/wet is for one, who wants to conquer the world with knights. You might even have trouble to get saltpeter. As for the login name, I don't even know why you did it. Giovanni August was an ok name, I can't figure why Giovanni Wine is better?!
Well!
I don't know why everytime I tried to post a message with "Giovanni August" the forum told me that I couldn't.

Sent e-mail to MarkG, and he told me that I needed to clean up my e-mail account cause it's full.

cleaned up everything, try new post and... I couldn't, ask for "registration e-mail" thinking that that might have been my problem, but nothing.

At last, after two weeks of no-posting, I decided to sign up with different name.... I liked Giovanni August better thou

Yup no oil
I just decided to start new game, got back to my Rome civ of course

Saluti
"If God forbade drinking, would He have made wine so good?" - Cardinal Richelieu
"In vino veritas" - Plinio il vecchio
Old May 15, 2002, 08:08   #8
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 19:39
I've had this problem also. Just edit the oil resource so it appears in plains, grasslands, forests, and jungles. I don't get why Civ 3 was made to have oil in only Tundra and Desert. Oil is found naturally in almost every type of terrain on Earth. The reason there isn't any in the developed world is because it's been used up!
Old May 16, 2002, 11:16   #9
heidlejohn
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:39
I had this problem also and posted my game. In a subsequent game there was only one oil. I never got a response from Firaxis about this. 23-04-2002 09:51 Firaxis: why is there NO OIL in my game?
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=48225

This might help you. I completely uninstalled Civ3 and reinstalled it with a slightly different folder name. Then I used the 1.21 patch and since then I haven't had the no oil problem. One game I think there were only six luxuries on the map, but other than that I do not remember any problems since my reinstallation.

I have a new 2002 Dell with Windowx XP and 256 MB RAM.

As to the games, I won both on regent level. I used marines and cavalry as my offensive forces. For defense I used infantry and artillery. I was starting to build the spaceship when I got a cultural victory. In the one oil game, as soon as I spotted it I loaded up lots of galleons and later transports and started a war for it. The oil bounced back and forth between me and one AI until I got the better of him and wiped him out.
Old May 16, 2002, 21:58   #10
roadcage
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Prince

Unrepentant mounted warrior mode
No Oil. Sounds ok to me.
Unrepentant mounted warrior mode ends

Don't you just love this game!

roadcage