Old May 14, 2002, 01:53   #1
astroboy808
Settler

Local Time: 19:39
Local Date: October 31, 2010
killing natives et al
Hello everyone! its doctor nick!
well not really...what is my problem (not split simpson personalities) is how do i kill off those pesky natives and aliens?
i have version 1.3. i am tierd of playing the democrat, i what to try my hand at fedual pain!
thank you!
damian j

edit: changes little face to EVIL
astroboy808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2002, 08:00   #2
catullus
Warlord

Local Time: 01:39
Local Date: November 1, 2010
1.3 or 1.31? You absolutely MUST upgrade to 1.31 to get rid of bugs and get ship initiative.

That said: AFAIK, you just can't kill pacified aliens. That goes for natives, too. They will stay until the end. If you're lucky, you'll lose some to bombardement if you're under attack.
Genocide on a normal population is given as a one-time deal the round you just invaded. Then the population will die, one point each round. Remember to repop with your own guys before leaving the planet dead.
If you are telepathic, and have insta-assimiliated the population, this deal will not be given. They are now loyal subjects, and you are not allowed to kill them.

One exception, of course: There's nothing stopping you from using freights to transport the population to another, already filled, planet. With no room to settle, they'll die at arrival. This is NOT possible with natives (refuse to leave home planet), and can be difficult with subterranean races if you are not.

C.
catullus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2002, 18:05   #3
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

You should never kill natives. Best darn food producers in the game.
Old May 24, 2002, 01:11   #4
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 08:39
Better than Android Farmers?
Urban Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2002, 06:20   #5
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 11:39
Android farmers come very late compared to natives.
But no, not better than Android Farmers.
Old May 24, 2002, 09:58   #6
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

By the time you get androids the game is already over. But they are better, it's true.

Then again androids don't count toward your pop score...
Old May 24, 2002, 12:42   #7
Garth Vader
King

Local Time: 18:39
I don't understand androids. Since they aren't affected by morale, don't they actually suck? By the time you can build them you often have a huge +morale%.
Old May 24, 2002, 16:39   #8
Forrest Gimp
Settler

Local Time: 00:39
I only use android workers bec they usually take 1 turn to build on developed worlds, then you can ship them off by freighter to your colony worlds to quickly build up perimeter colonies...

If u have enuf building tech on a developed world sometimes u can build a droid in 1 turn with just one worker, and have the others research
Forrest Gimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2002, 16:58   #9
Forrest Gimp
Settler

And funny that you should mention droids bec that is another way of killing off the natives, albeit haphazardly. Check out

http://www.asan.com/users/fuwah/moo2.txt

"Force build 5 android workers. Each time, it will replacean
irrelevant carbon-based lifeform with a shining blue
android.

Repeat as needed. Add salt to taste."

So if your on a 4 person planet then force build all 4 citizen slots with androids, then ship them out later via freighter.
Then contact the UN to pay for your war crimes you genocidal bloodthirsty demagogue
Forrest Gimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2002, 19:06   #10
moomin
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Garth Vader
I don't understand androids. Since they aren't affected by morale, don't they actually suck? By the time you can build them you often have a huge +morale%.
Euhm. While they're documented not to be affected by morale, they actually are. That bug survived all patches. Look up any decent MUAW (Morale Affected Android Workers) strategy for more info...
Old June 10, 2002, 13:16   #11
brian wagner
Settler

Kill of pop units by...
Can't kill natives, AFAIK, but...

You CAN kill off other race pop units if you need. Like say, you have a bunch of meklar and psilon slaves for industry and research, right?

You then conquer the humans, whose bonuses don't apply to you, so you'd rather fill those planets with meklars for growth, right?

So, just send the humans off to a planet that has a full population! The poor humans will die in orbit looking for a spot to settle, and now there are fresh lands waiting to be settled by your meklar slaves!

Just too bad I can't get moo2 to run under 2kpro...
brian wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2002, 13:14   #12
Zealot
King

Re: Kill of pop units by...
Quote:
Originally posted by brian wagner
Just too bad I can't get moo2 to run under 2kpro...
But you can! Just not the dos version.
Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1
Zealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2002, 14:02   #13
brian wagner
Settler

But I cannot get the windows version to run either
I didnt even bother trying with the dos version, I knew that wouldnt fly...

When I get home maybe (if i remember) post my error, maybe one of you can help me... and I'm no puter newb just stumped.
Old June 17, 2002, 19:09   #14
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 20:39
Follow the thread for the moo2 site (among the recently acvtive ones)and it has pointers about get it to run. If this is a home PC, dump W2K and go to XP, moo2 works fine there. That is what I use now. Moo also works fine, my whole lib of games works. good luck.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2002, 09:21   #15
gramians
Settler

No Problem: XP and W2K
Quote:
But I cannot get the windows version to run either
I didnt even bother trying with the dos version, I knew that wouldnt fly...

When I get home maybe (if i remember) post my error, maybe one of you can help me... and I'm no puter newb just stumped.
I've got moo2 running on XP and W2K on my home network. Getting the Windows version to run is easy. For XP, find the executable file [orion2.exe I think] on your hard drive and right click it. Select properties, then "compatability". You should be able to select something along the line on "Run this under Windows 95 mode". I am not quoting Windows exactly here since I am at school working on my thesis.*

For W2K, I think you may have to do something similar. Change the properties of the file... I don't recall exactly what I did or if I had to do anything at all.

If that's the case, maybe it's just you. It also may help with some sh*tty graphic cards that you should change your desktop resolution before loading to 800x600 256c, or whatever the game prefers.

-----
* Yeah, I'm 27 and I still play MOO2. What are you going to do about it?!

Gamera the Gramian
gramians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2002, 12:33   #16
brian wagner
Settler

Actually I dont know what error I was getting... I got it to run fine under 2k pro with no changes to nothing... only problem was the video kept going screwey on me. I took someone else's suggestion of getting the debug versions of dx8 and that solved the problem but now I have problems with other games.... O well time to set up that p200 in the corner for MOO2 and Civ2 exclusively :P
Old July 17, 2002, 15:12   #17
vmxa1
Deity

Actually it is time to go to XP, no need for those standby pc's. W2K is to XP what Win95 was to Win98SE, out of date. Both games you mentioned work fine for me on XP as well as Dos games like ALien Legacy, Mom. With sound.
Old July 17, 2002, 15:44   #18
Zealot
King

You have Alien Legacy?!?
That game is GREAT! Did you ever finish it?
Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1
Zealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2002, 15:49   #19
vmxa1
Deity

Yup, twice. I played a third time a couple of weeks ago, but have not finished that one. The point where you go to war and have to make space station with level 6 research is very tedious. I loved the exploration and finding artifact, some what like SMAC.
Old July 18, 2002, 00:06   #20
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 08:39
XP almost made me cry with that damned play-skool look.

Urban Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2002, 01:16   #21
vmxa1
Deity

Not sure what you mean, but you can make it look anyway you want. All I know is I have had no problems, which is something I have not been able to say about any previous OS from big Bill.
Old July 18, 2002, 09:58   #22
brian wagner
Settler

I will not go to XP - dont want the spyware or any of the cutesy stuff. SURE you can strip down XP so it dont look so retarded, but then you just have 2k, so why bother with XP?

AND I LIKE MY 2ND AND 3RD PC's - one is a mail/web server and the other is a linux project box so :P
Old July 18, 2002, 10:00   #23
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Quote:
I will not go to XP - dont want the spyware or any of the cutesy stuff. SURE you can strip down XP so it dont look so retarded, but then you just have 2k, so why bother with XP?

AND I LIKE MY 2ND AND 3RD PC's - one is a mail/web server and the other is a linux project box so :P
Spyware? go on....
Old July 18, 2002, 12:31   #24
vmxa1
Deity

Quote:

It says motor city, sure its not Montana
The point is that 2K will not run many games that XP will.
Stability is better in XP and ease of use, all aspects are superior to NT/2K/9x.
Old July 18, 2002, 16:54   #25
brian wagner
Settler

Right right but I also use this puter for professional use as well, and I can't stand XP. Anyway so far Moo2 is the only thing I have had (minor) problems with.

And lemme shoot some links for what I mean by spyware... must locate them.
Old July 22, 2002, 12:07   #26
Toaster4k
Settler

Install SP2 on win2k and it should do the trick...
it include some "compatibility patch".
I was not able to play moo2 on my win2k laptop until I got the service pack 2
Toaster4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2002, 06:04   #27
Galvatron
Civilization II PBEMPtWDG Glory of War
Prince

Local Time: 18:39
The natives are really troublemaker. Ok they are good at farming but that's it. In the middle and endgame when a high industrial output becomes important they just take away space. So there should be an option got get rid of them.

Proud and official translator of Yaroslavs Civilization-Diplomacy utility.
Galvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2002, 13:07   #28
vmxa1
Deity

Maybe they could allow you to displace them and pay something, some price. It could be money or research points or a new tech you would need. Just so it is not a freebie.