Old May 14, 2002, 11:28   #1
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 03:40
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Dungeon Siege
Anyone else playing this game? It's my first RPG experience , and it's very fun. I've played lots of RPG with pen-and-paper, though, and I kinda like the way it looks on PCs. And DS has a very nice look & feel.

In the gaming club of Age of Kings where I play, most people got hooked at DS recently... I just followed their advice and downloaded the demo... impressive. It's one full chapter and a bit of Chapter 2, so I suggest you guys download this if interested in RPG at all, and also download this if you liked Diablo, or almost liked it, but thought something is missing.

The site I'd suggest for it is http://ds.heavengames.com .
Old May 14, 2002, 11:52   #2
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 00:40
If you want a game that's closer to pen and paper, you should check out Neverwinter Nights, which should released a month from now.

As for Dungeon Siege, it's way to hack'n'slash for me. It might be a bit of fun multiplayer, though...

Do It Ourselves
Old May 14, 2002, 12:41   #3
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 01:40
I'd argue the merits of even putting Dungeon Siege and RPG in the same sentence, let alone trying to form a link between the two except 'is not a' but that conversation has taken place before. The demo does show you exactly what to expect though. You have seen everything that game is going to give you by the end of the demo except some slightly different background to fight over

I urge you to try Morrowind, or look for Neverwinter if you prefer multiplayer and have the broadband connection to do it.
Old May 14, 2002, 12:46   #4
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

I don't see why doesn't DS qualify as a RPG game. Some might say it has too much of that fighting/shooting, but I say not... just quite some monsters.

Well, I have certainly liked the demo, and am getting my hands on a full version!
Old May 14, 2002, 13:00   #5
Grumbold
Emperor

Its a difference of opinion on whether using toons to kill monsters is playing a role. If so, then games as varied as platformers and FPS could qualify just as equally for the title RPG. The original concept that spawned the PnP games was that you could do anything, any way you wanted, provided your ref was up to the challenge of weaving the world around you.

DS gives you no choices except for which offensive tool you use to elicit maximum bloodshed. You cannot deviate from your assigned path or affect the outcome. Unlike Eastern CRPG's where this is also true, you have no strong emotional storyline serving as the purpose for all the monster bashing. Dungeon Siege owes far more to the coin-op arcade game Gauntlet than D&D or anything else.

I promise to try not to rant on this issue again for at least a week
Old May 14, 2002, 14:13   #6
da_jaymz
Chieftain

Planescape: Torment, Fallout I&II, Arcanum and maybe some others I don't know of are possible to play through with 0 kills...Leveling up your character by killing monsters doesn't make the game a RPG.

Anyway, the most impressive thing about this game is "Siege Editor" where you can make your own world and download loads of others...
Other good thing is that the game is loads of fun to play, pretty much action packed...and action IMO is never boring
Old May 14, 2002, 15:09   #7
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

It's true that Dungeon Siege is far more like Gauntlet than a pure RPG like Morrowind or Neverwinter Nights.

I loved Gauntlet, though.

/me just shot the food

/me has Temporary Repulsiveness

Great.

I'm in Chapter 4 of Dungeon Siege at the moment ... I'm enjoying it a lot, but I don't think it'll hold my attention anything like Diablo 2 did. Maybe that's only because I'm a bit sick of the hack'n'slash genre now ... but at least in Diablo you could choose what skills to improve ... I would argue that Dungeon Siege is even more linear, if that is possible.

I am having fun playing it, though, I just won't play it a second time through. I won't play any multiplayer either .... damn hackers and cheaters using their +drdeath cheat. If I want to play with cheaters then I'll load up Diablo 2 again.

Dungeon Siege does have beautiful graphics ... and bridges ... lots and lots of bridges ... they're everywhere!
Old May 14, 2002, 15:34   #8
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Grumbold
I urge you to try Morrowind
Yep. As a newbie RPGer I think this game is great.
Old May 14, 2002, 21:10   #9
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 17:40
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Has anyone ever made it through Fallout2 with no kills?

I can't see it possible. And don't you have to get through the temple of trials?

But yes it is nice because in the final area you don't have to kill anyone. Although people do die because of your actions , but you don't actually see that.
Old May 14, 2002, 21:15   #10
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
I can't see it possible. And don't you have to get through the temple of trials?

You don't have to kill anyone in the temple of trials.

Although people usually don't avoid killing monsters when 'going through a game without killing anyone', you could always run away from them or knock them unconcious (i forget, can you do that in Fallout?) inorder to avoid killing anything at all.

Do It Ourselves
Old May 15, 2002, 05:47   #11
Grumbold
Emperor

I spent a fortune on Gauntlet in the arcades at Brighton. Probably a significant factor in my lower than expected academic results that year

I think it would be very hard to do Fallout 2 without killing anything at all, but then people who are trying this are obviously not looking for an easy game. People also have to decide if using indirect means like traps, timed explosives, NPC followers etc count or only deaths by your own PC's combat actions.

Interestingly Morrowind has unarmed combat which deals only stun/stamina damage until your opponent runs out of stamina and collapses. Looks like a no-kill Morrowind challenge could be on the cards too.

Last edited by Grumbold; May 15, 2002 at 05:55.
Old May 15, 2002, 06:29   #12
aaglo
King

BAH! I thought that this Dungeon Siege is a kind of 'Old-skool' RPG-game (because it was the first RPG-game for Solver)...

Shame on you, S.
Old May 15, 2002, 06:34   #13
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 17:40
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I found a no kill guide for fallout. So I'm sure there is one for fallout2. It looks to be very difficult, but possible.

Dungeon Siege looks great of course. The single player doesn't appeal to me. The combat is too uninvolving. Multiplayer might be interesting though.
Old May 15, 2002, 07:56   #14
da_jaymz
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
I found a no kill guide for fallout. So I'm sure there is one for fallout2. It looks to be very difficult, but possible.
I found this thread for Fallout 2...you can finish it with 1 kills.