Old May 14, 2002, 12:46   #1
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 20:41
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I hope that we will finally get flat maps
I haven't seen any referenct to flat maps in all of this. Does anyone think that we will finally see them with the XP?
Old May 14, 2002, 12:49   #2
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 18:41
It would surprise me if they weren't included. I would definitely bet that they'll be in.
Old May 14, 2002, 12:55   #3
zulu9812
King

Local Time: 00:41
Local Date: November 1, 2010
what do you mean by flat map? The map is prety flat - it's hardly the rolling terrain of SMAC.
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old May 14, 2002, 13:28   #4
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by zulu9812
what do you mean by flat map? The map is prety flat - it's hardly the rolling terrain of SMAC.
Flat meaning that the edges dont wrap around. You cannot circumnavigate this type of map. This allows you to build a detailed map (say a region of Europe) that to build a senerio from that (i.e. Battle of the Bulge, The Conquests of Alexander the Great, The Revolutionary War, Etc.). You can't do any of thise things without a flat map (and some sort of events scripting editor/language, but we won't go there).

Hope that explains it,
E_T
Old May 14, 2002, 13:35   #5
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 02:41
I think they'll implement it, since it's needed for WW2 / Japan scenarios. Btw, some fan maps are flat already.
Old May 14, 2002, 13:36   #6
E_T
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by ixnay37
It would surprise me if they weren't included. I would definitely bet that they'll be in.
Until I see it listed in a press release, on a gameing review site or from the players comments after release (on this board), I WILL assume that it won't be in it. I will actually be suprised if there IS a very comprehensive Senerio Editor that is in the XP (one that the community have been screaming for cense last year.

I wouldn't have minded trying my hand at creating a historical senerio or two, but I don't yet have the tools to do it.

E_T
Old May 14, 2002, 14:36   #7
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 19:41
What features need to be in the editor for it to be "complete"? I am not asking about the nice to haves, just the stuff that's gotta be there. Stuff like unit placement, city placement, etc.
Old May 14, 2002, 15:56   #8
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by WarpStorm
What features need to be in the editor for it to be "complete"? I am not asking about the nice to haves, just the stuff that's gotta be there. Stuff like unit placement, city placement, etc.
That's defently more important than a flat map, I'll NEVER use flat maps, while I might use the unit/city placement once!
Old May 14, 2002, 15:59   #9
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 19:41
hope there will be flat maps. Wouldn't there have to be if there are scenarios?
Old May 14, 2002, 17:22   #10
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 18:41
Flat maps are necessary for any sort of scenario that doesn't include the whole world. For this reason, I'd bet on them being in the editor.
Old May 15, 2002, 13:53   #11
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Scenarios ideas without flat maps :
- south hemisphere
- between the 43th and 45th parallel
Old May 15, 2002, 16:36   #12
E_T
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by WarpStorm
All of the above, plus all the bells and whistles that aren't currently in the current editor. Pretty much what the Scenerio Community wanted from the begining. IMHO, anything less isn't worth the extra money for the XP.

The _nice to haves_ are what has been really needed to make this game sing.

After I had played the game a few times, I would have liked to make, test and upload a few Historical Scenerios. I would have liked to have made some Alternate World (timeline, dimension what have you) scenerios that would have been able to really test the player. None of that is available without the above stuff, and I'm not assuming that it will be.

I'll buy it when I see it.

E_T
Old May 15, 2002, 18:04   #13
Ed O'War
Warlord

Local Time: 16:41
What I'd like to see is a decent scenario manager, like what they had for Civ 2. That way, installing new customer scenarios would be a real snap.