Old May 16, 2002, 00:27   #1
David Floyd
Emperor

Local Time: 00:47
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Axis & Allies
Anyone play, and want to challenge me to a 1 vs. 1? I'll let you pick your side.

Anyway, what strategies do you find useful, and what is useless?

To start off with one, buying tanks early with Germany is patently useless and a sure way to lose.
Old May 16, 2002, 05:01   #2
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 08:47
I like the Japanese opening position most of all. They don't quite have the production of the allies but they're in the best position to expand rapidly and once they've built up their momentum they become very difficult to stop.
As with all else of course, they need their own European allies, to keep too many Soviet reinforcements from heading East.

Germany has enough tanks at the start to last for awhile as long as they pad all of their offenses with enough Inf to soak up the casualties and follow through afterwards.

Does anybody ever build/use heavy bombers for strategic bombing? I've never been able to fathom why the AI seems so crazy about this...
Old May 16, 2002, 13:25   #3
David Floyd
Emperor

Regarding the Japanese, yes they have a strong starting position, but unless they play their first turn precisely right, and have nearly perfect play thereafter, they sink fast.

As to German offensives, where, besides Africa, do you see viable attacks?

Strat bombing - it can be good if someone is foolish enough to have a factory sitting somewhere with no AA gun. All things beings equal, the odds say the bomber will be lost before it pays for itself in terms of strat bombing, although there are two exceptions: if you're lucky enough to get the heavy bombers tech, or if you don't care about losing bombers and just need to drop someone's income for a few turns for whatever reason.
Old May 16, 2002, 14:08   #4
faded glory
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

oh gawd. I can kick anyones arse in this game. I am like a machie, I have memorized the moves. I am 127-22 on rank. Who wants a piece?
Old May 16, 2002, 15:07   #5
David Floyd
Emperor

If you play me, you'll be 127-23. I'm undefeated, whether we're talking about Dogs of War, MSN, PBEM, or the actual board game.

And the ****-talking begins

Anytime you want a game
Old May 16, 2002, 17:10   #6
faded glory
King

Sure whats your zone login? Mines Krom_4. Its been awhile. Ive had my login for 4 years now. Last I played was 2 months ago.

How about tonight? or Friday?
Old May 16, 2002, 17:10   #7
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 17:47
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I build tanks with Germany if I'm feeling lucky with the dice. When playing the board game I do build tanks. I'm very good with dice.

For the first 2 or 3 round I usually build tanks with Germany. If things go badly the first round I may just switch to infantry though.
Old May 16, 2002, 17:12   #8
faded glory
King

Germany should never build Tanks. Germany should should build 10-12 infantry a turn and play with the USSR in Caucus. Also germany must cap africa. Thats very important. Japan does most of the heavy lifting vs USSR. If you are germany, your biggest concern in W.E. and Ukraine. Hold them, and victory for the japs is certain.
Old May 16, 2002, 17:13   #9
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

and Japan isn't in that bad of a situation. Even if things go badly for Japan the first round (ie no territories are taken- but the troops are wiped out) they can usually recover. Now if both Japan and Germany falter on the first round they are pretty much screwed.

I rarely play with people who aggressively pursue the japanese when they play america. The ai certainly doesn't do it. All they do is build submarines crap AI.
Old May 16, 2002, 17:36   #10
David Floyd
Emperor

Quote:
and Japan isn't in that bad of a situation. Even if things go badly for Japan the first round (ie no territories are taken- but the troops are wiped out) they can usually recover.
Not against a good Allied player. The British will stick a factory in India, and the US one in Sinkiang, and outproduce the hell of you - certainly long enough to crush Germany pretty quickly.

faded,

Quote:
Also germany must cap africa.
Yes, but they can't hold it, and usually lose their Med fleet on Brit turn 1 - the US and Britain can also shove a combined 4 infantry into Algeria before Turn 2 if necessary, or the US can come with 6-10 infantry and the Brits with 4-6 by Turn 3. Getting Germany embroiled in Africa is a good move by the Allies, because it weakens either Western or Eastern Europe.

As to a game, can't tonight, watching Star Wars...
Old May 16, 2002, 17:38   #11
David Floyd
Emperor

Quote:
I build tanks with Germany if I'm feeling lucky with the dice. When playing the board game I do build tanks. I'm very good with dice.
Maybe, but here's one of the secrets: the dice don't really matter. Good strategic play wins games, and bad strategic play loses games. All it takes are odds calculations and long term planning.
Old May 16, 2002, 17:42   #12
faded glory
King

1st axis move

buy 1 tranny, 8 inf

2 inf in rome sent to eygpt, send 1 libya inf (not tank)suported with inf, BS +bomber.

Sink UK BS & Sub in Med, use WE sub and fighter.Make sure you nail the N.sea fleet and try 2 inf in caucus for ICP. That isnt too hard.

place boat in Med, block BS (just in case) ad 2 inf in Rome, rest in germany.
Old May 16, 2002, 17:44   #13
faded glory
King

anyway its IMPORTANT to get africa asap. You will never hold it true, but you can keep moving around for 3 turns, a good Japs player will have factory in india and will be in the middle east/ using tranny to send to eygpt. Result=UK ****ed
Old May 16, 2002, 17:51   #14
David Floyd
Emperor

Quote:
buy 1 tranny, 8 inf
I usually go with a bomber and 5 infantry, to have a chance at stopping the US from rolling over Germany.

Quote:
suported with inf, BS +bomber.
You can't support with the Battleship because of the UK sub. Without the bomber, you'll probably take a big hit in the North Sea, as well.

Further, I think taking Egypt on G1 is a mistake - the Brits can counter with more than you might think.

Quote:
a good Japs player will have factory in india and will be in the middle east
Sure, against a shitty British player. A good British player can hold India for 7-8 turns, enough time to torpedo Germany.
Old May 16, 2002, 21:59   #15
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 08:47
Quote:
Originally posted by David Floyd

Not against a good Allied player. The British will stick a factory in India, and the US one in Sinkiang, and outproduce the hell of you - certainly long enough to crush Germany pretty quickly.

On the first round?! Thats a very very bold move for the Brits/US. They won't be able to garrison those provinces with new builds until the next round and they don't have too many reinforcements available. A strong German offensive against Karelia will tie up the Sov's and leave most of Asia open to the Japs. With their relatively large air force able to deploy to most of Asia and a (limited admittedly) sealift capability Japan could threaten or even take those provinces before the allies can defend them.
Old May 17, 2002, 00:39   #16
David Floyd
Emperor

Quote:
On the first round?! Thats a very very bold move for the Brits/US. They won't be able to garrison those provinces with new builds until the next round and they don't have too many reinforcements available.
Yes but it is safe. First, the Sovs can put up to 4 armor in Novosibirsk to counter any Japanese move. If Japan fails to take China on round 1, the US keeps its two infantry in Sinkiang, sticks a factory there, and is essentially safe, along with a British India factory - 3 inf + 1 fighter initially, 1 or 2 inf can be transported first turn to India depending on the Germans, plus 3 units a turn in India. If Japan doesn't get China on T1, or if a US counter takes it back, Japan is ****ed.

Quote:
A strong German offensive against Karelia will tie up the Sov's
A turn 1 or 2 German attack on Karelia will make the Allies laugh - they'll simply give Asia to Japan (at least not fight hard for it), and crush Germany long, long before Japan has made significant progress.

Quote:
and a (limited admittedly) sealift capability Japan could threaten or even take those provinces before the allies can defend them.
Not if the UK sacrifices its tranny on UK1, by putting it in the French IndoChina seazone. This blocks amphibious moves against India for 1 vital turn, and any subsequent amphibious attacks are useless in that they put Japan's transports out of position, unable to counter a Russian push into Manchuria.
Old May 17, 2002, 01:40   #17
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

any Brit who puts a factory on India is going to lose it. I remove all units from the Philappines if I have to- I usually do. I can reinforce that later if the americans are threatening or the Brits pick up some infantry from Australia and are in range. And if I'm playing someone decent I often forgo other attacks on Asia to prevent strecthing myself too thin. Capturing a factory on turn one more than makes up for not taking an American chinese territory or Russian territory. that's 15 credits you didn't have to spend yourself.

conclusion: any Brit who puts factory on India turn one will lose it.

Case Closed
Old May 17, 2002, 14:07   #18
David Floyd
Emperor

Quote:
any Brit who puts a factory on India is going to lose it
If a good Brit player is playing a good Japanese player, he'll keep the India factory for several turns. If it's an excellent British player, he can keep it 7-8 turns, which is plenty of time to kill Germany.

Quote:
I can reinforce that later if the americans are threatening or the Brits pick up some infantry from Australia and are in range. And if I'm playing someone decent I often forgo other attacks on Asia to prevent strecthing myself too thin.
You're forgetting a couple of things. First, the US can counter with at least 2 infantry and a fighter, and Russia can counter with up to 4 tanks and 2 fighters. This means the Brits can still put units in India on T2, but Japan is ****ed because they are out of units on Asia and their transports are out of position. Likely the Russians will also come storming out of Yakut with 6 or 7 infantry, to add even more pressure.
Also, the Brits can put their transport in the Indochina sea zone, blocking any turn one amphibious attacks on India, and by Turn 2 there should be at least 6 infantry and a fighter in India, with a Brit tank and infantry ready to move in on Turn 3, in addition to the Russian armor in Novosibirsk.

conclusion: Please, please, please, go for India on Turn 1. Please. It'll save the Allies a couple hours of wearing down the Axis, and the Allies will effectively win on Turn 1. A Brit factory in India, reinforced by African troops and given time to build by the transport, with a set up for a Russian counterattack is standard Allied play.
Old May 17, 2002, 19:53   #19
faded glory
King

not this night. I am all over www.wwiionline.com tonight
Old May 21, 2002, 00:21   #20
Lonestar
inmate
King

Local Time: 20:47
I prefer Axis&Allies European Theater, myself.
Old May 21, 2002, 04:35   #21
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

can the brits build units in that factory? I'm not sure of the rules on that one. I guess they can if America got the territory back for them.

But then the chinese territories are undefended. So Japan should then be able to get India in the third or fourth turn. A lot of U.S. players I have played with are selfish and won't give up their own territory points to help out a British player. But I guess I have played with crappy players in the past.
Old May 21, 2002, 07:54   #22
Cookie Monster
King

Local Time: 19:47
A couple of questions for you all:

1) Where can one play A&A online?

2) What are your opinions on A&A European Theatre and
A&A Pacific Theatre? (board games)

3) Can the two A&A games be linked and played as one
huge game?

Thanks in advance......................
Old May 21, 2002, 09:37   #23
Lonestar
inmate
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Haupt. Dietrich
A couple of questions for you all:

2) What are your opinions on A&A European Theatre and
A&A Pacific Theatre? (board games)

3) Can the two A&A games be linked and played as one
huge game?

Thanks in advance......................
(1)I love 'em

(2)Not really.
Old May 21, 2002, 11:39   #24
Cookie Monster
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Lonestar

(1)I love 'em

(2)Not really.

Thanks, esp. regarding (2). Since I will only buy one of these board games it will have to be the european theatre. My favorite from WW2.
Old May 21, 2002, 14:52   #25
Lonestar
inmate
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Haupt. Dietrich

Thanks, esp. regarding (2). Since I will only buy one of these board games it will have to be the european theatre. My favorite from WW2.
Yep, but the European Theater game can take forever, IMHO opinion. But once you take Moscow...it's smooth sailing.
Old May 21, 2002, 15:06   #26
Cookie Monster
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Lonestar

Yep, but the European Theater game can take forever, IMHO opinion. But once you take Moscow...it's smooth sailing.
I see, I guess I'll have to find someone who is willing to play for a while. Either that or I just play solitare.