Old May 16, 2002, 01:06   #1
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Local Time: 19:47
Local Date: October 31, 2010
coming back to Civ3...
*sigh* I'm going to be really bored this summer. So i've decided to bring out my copy of Civ3 and give it a second chance. I played for about 10 hours back when the game first came out and thought that it was mediocre to bad.

Anyways, since I haven't visited the Civ3 area to do anything besides compain about Civ3 since it came out, what should I know? What's the newest patch? Are there any highly reccommended fan made patches out there that I should get? And has anyone created a strategy guide yet?
Old May 16, 2002, 01:25   #2
Coracle
Prince

Beware of masochism.
Old May 16, 2002, 01:43   #3
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

maybe you haven't heard, but i've been a refugee in the OT for a couple months now, I no longer understand such big words any longer
Old May 16, 2002, 01:56   #4
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Re: coming back to Civ3...
Quote:
Originally posted by H Tower
*sigh* I'm going to be really bored this summer. So i've decided to bring out my copy of Civ3 and give it a second chance. I played for about 10 hours back when the game first came out and thought that it was mediocre to bad.

Anyways, since I haven't visited the Civ3 area to do anything besides compain about Civ3 since it came out, what should I know? What's the newest patch? Are there any highly reccommended fan made patches out there that I should get? And has anyone created a strategy guide yet?
I think you will find the latest patch, 1.21f to be quite an improvement in the game. There was a thread a few days ago regarding the best patch changes, quite a list. Best IMO- Stack movement using "j"; air superiority fixed; editor increased functionality; can tone down corruption; etc, etc.

Check out the strategy forum, has a lot of great tips.
Old May 16, 2002, 03:40   #5
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 18:47
Beware the OT forays. Sorry H Tower. Seen it a few too many times.

Get 1.21. Check out the Blitz mod and the Balancer mod and player1 mod. If you want the military changed.

Many strategies found in the appropriate forum. Sn00py makes some wicked graphics.
Old May 16, 2002, 08:47   #6
Stuie
King

Local Time: 20:47
Re: coming back to Civ3...
Quote:
Anyways, since I haven't visited the Civ3 area to do anything besides compain about Civ3 since it came out, what should I know? What's the newest patch
Definitely get the 1.21f patch. I took spent several months away from Civ3 and was fortunate enough to miss the whole 1.17f debacle. Anyway, the biggest changes I've noticed are that the AI does not expand quite as aggressively and air power works.

I don't use any specific mods, having created my own that is an amalgamation of several other ideas. Basically, I have increased ship movement, gave air power lethal sea bombardment, changed all sorts of stuff with the cruise missile, and optimized map sizes to make the game keep moving at an acceptable pace in the modern era. And I allow for 16 civs on any map size.

Sn00py's graphics are a must - especially the trees (though I don't like his tundra forest, so I still use the original).

When Civ3 came out I lost interest in the game after about a month. Now I've been playing for a month and don't see any end in sight. For me the feeling of one-more-turn is back with a vengence. My wife is thoroughly displeased.
Old May 16, 2002, 08:54   #7
Seneca
King

Local Time: 00:47
Local Date: November 1, 2010
This seems to be a common phenomenon - I played for a week when it first came out, and got bored and put it away till now (partly because of EUII coming out). Now I can't stop.

Maybe after a few months you can stop worrying about whether it's as good as you thought it would be, and just play the damn thing.
Old May 16, 2002, 08:58   #8
I-iZ-1337
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:47
I thinkz more p33pz come back coz Firaxiz iz fixzing stuff in the game. After allz, it suxxed when it came out but now it iz much 1337er, hopefull33 the exzpanzion pack will fixz it compl33tl33.
Old May 16, 2002, 12:31   #9
H Tower

Quote:
Originally posted by I-iZ-1337
I thinkz more p33pz come back coz Firaxiz iz fixzing stuff in the game. After allz, it suxxed when it came out but now it iz much 1337er, hopefull33 the exzpanzion pack will fixz it compl33tl33.
must you type like that? maybe your new to the internet and think that its really cool to replace the lettter e with a 3 and other stuff, but haven't you noticed that no one else posts like that? all we're asking for is a bit of real english to read
Old May 16, 2002, 12:37   #10
Mkinser
Chieftain

Quote:
must you type like that? maybe your new to the internet and think that its really cool to replace the lettter e with a 3 and other stuff, but haven't you noticed that no one else posts like that? all we're asking for is a bit of real english to read

I think it must be "3bonics"....
Old May 16, 2002, 12:45   #11
H Tower

its still annoying. i go through so many threads these days, i hate to have to stop and try and translate somones post when i should have been able to read it in 20 seconds max
Old May 16, 2002, 15:51   #12
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
its still annoying. i go through so many threads these days, i hate to have to stop and try and translate somones post when i should have been able to read it in 20 seconds max

If you have a problem with his language, then I suggest you avoid his "Wot stratz d0 j00 uze?" thread. or check it out, pretty funny stuff, esp. when ming arrived on the scene.
Old May 16, 2002, 16:31   #13
Mkinser
Chieftain

I'm with you H Tower. There is enough in these threads to make ones head spin without needing an "idiots to english" translation book. I understand that english is not the first language for many of the posters in these forums, and I don't mind trying to decipher what they are trying to say. But when you get somebody who is intentionally screwing it up it is truly annoying...

By the way, is U of I, or UIC?
Old May 16, 2002, 16:55   #14
H Tower

It's the University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana. or UIUC but most people just say U of I.

so, does anyone have a favorite strategy out there?
Old May 16, 2002, 16:57   #15
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 02:47
Since I am not native English speaker, I realy have problems translating that "language" properly.

So please speak English!
Or elase I'll be forced to speak my native language.
So we both won't understand each other.

On Topic:
Civ3 is better with patches.
Especialy with 1.21f

It would maybe need some balance tweaks but there are some nice MODs which could be useed for that.

Last edited by player1; May 16, 2002 at 17:03.
Old May 16, 2002, 17:30   #16
H Tower

alright, i just read that strategy guide, and it would seem that we've been doing a no-no by talking about other posters, so drop it before ming the muppet appears and sends us all on a one way trip to mingapulco to visit with miss piggy.

what exactly does 1.21 change from the original version? i remember hearing a ton of people complain about corruption, did that get fixed or am i going to have to change myself? also, have the UU turned out to be a bust? i've been trying to read through some of the other threads trying to get a handle on what's been happening and i gather that they seem frivolous
Old May 16, 2002, 18:51   #17
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Some of the UUs kick a$$. Others are scorned (English).

1.7 and 1.21 go a long way towards making corruption manageable. With 1.21 Police Stations reduce corruption, and both they and Courthouses have a larger impact. That's standard rules.

There is also a slider in the editor to make it easy to lessen or eliminate corruption altogether.

As for strategy... Early war is almost essential. Once you can build up your land mass and number of cities, and ensure yourself of all the critical resources then you should be able to play peaceful if you so desire.
Old May 16, 2002, 19:35   #18
Akka
Prince

Local Time: 01:47
Quote:
alright, i just read that strategy guide, and it would seem that we've been doing a no-no by talking about other posters, so drop it before ming the muppet appears and sends us all on a one way trip to mingapulco to visit with miss piggy.

Good one

Quote:
what exactly does 1.21 change from the original version? i remember hearing a ton of people complain about corruption, did that get fixed or am i going to have to change myself? also, have the UU turned out to be a bust? i've been trying to read through some of the other threads trying to get a handle on what's been happening and i gather that they seem frivolous
Basically, it allows for MUCH more customization in the editor (HP bonus on a unit by unit basis, corruption slider, bonus to AI according the level, etc.) and it keeps all the good additions from the previous patches (pseudo-stacked movement is a big relief). The AI are a little less insane about trading than in the infamous 1.17f patch too.
If you still find the game boring after giving it a try, I would suggest to get a mod, as there is now quite a bunch of good ones on the creation forum and some give a real different feeling about the game.
(well there is mine to start with )
Old May 17, 2002, 00:34   #19
H Tower

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
Some of the UUs kick a$$. Others are scorned (English).

1.7 and 1.21 go a long way towards making corruption manageable. With 1.21 Police Stations reduce corruption, and both they and Courthouses have a larger impact. That's standard rules.
so do i need to install both then?
Old May 17, 2002, 00:39   #20
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:

so do i need to install both then?
just download the 1.21, it has the other fixes too.

hope you enjoy it
Old May 17, 2002, 09:00   #21
Mkinser
Chieftain

I was less than thrilled with the original/standard release. I played a couple of games and put it away for some time after that.

I don't know what it was that I didn't like, but it just didn't appeal to me. After the 1.21 patch, and using a couple of the mods, I really enjoy the game. I find myself playing until 12:30 or 1:00 am each night...The only playing time I get is after my kids go to bed...

My strategies are simple...expand and conquer as early as possible. Take out as many other civilizations as you can as quickly as you can. You'll have more cities producing culture/money/science and you can jump out to an early lead.

I prefer to use civs with an early UU...The American F-15 and English boat hold no interest for me. I prefer land war over air or sea. So I go with France, Persia, Russia, etc...

Quote:
Originally posted by player1
Since I am not native English speaker, I realy have problems translating that "language" properly.

So please speak English!
Or elase I'll be forced to speak my native language.
So we both won't understand each other.
Player 1: Your English is fine. If it is a second language for you, you should be proud of yourself for doing as well with it as you do. I have always been amazed by people from other countries that pick up and master the "American" english language...and generally do it better than many Americans.

H Tower: As far as your college, that is what I figured but I always check first...Go Fighting Illini!
Old May 18, 2002, 00:23   #22
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 17:47
Quote:
Then don't, just put him on your ignore list. If he wants to use his own language then he can go communicate with himself if he likes. But you don't need to let it bother you.
Old May 18, 2002, 00:27   #23
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 17:47
Quote:

The Civ III web site should have a readme on the changes in 1.21, and maybe the other patches as well.