Old May 16, 2002, 01:37   #1
Mellian
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Queen

Local Time: 19:47
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Never Ending Chiron Development
okay, here is the general rules and settings i work out tonite... rest of rules on Game Actions, Diplomacy, Planetary Council, Military, Probe, Support, Growth, Industry, Efficiency, Research, Planet, Morale, Economy, Police and so on will be gradually written down and posted in this thread.... may as well work out piece by piece while get some opinions on.

GENERAL GAME RULES and SETTINGS

-the game is base on the SMAC/X universe
-Each game turn equals to one game year which equals to one real day.
-the game will start in the year 2120 with seven factions: Peacekeepers, University, Morganites, Spartans, Hive, Gaians and Believers. The Alien Crossfire factions will start off as split off factions once the player start playing them. Only the Usurpers and Caretakers will crash land when atleast one player choses one of them...once they do, SMAX techs will be allowed. Custom factions are allowed, but please discuss it with me via PM.
-SMAC factions will start off with (2 + Growth) Bases, (number of bases x Support) of Units, (Game Years since 2100 x Economy) Energy credits, and (1 + Research + faction bonus techs) Technologies. SMAX and Custom factions start with (one base recently establish not very far from parent faction OR whatever amount of bases split off from the parent faction [discuss with Mod and Player of parent faction]) Bases, ( 3 + Support OR [if bases seperated] number of bases x parent faction Support) of Units, (25% subtracted from Parent Faction's Energy) Energy Credits and (parent faction Techs + faction bonus techs) Technologies. Usurpers and Caretakers start out with 1 Base, 5 Units, 100 Energy Credits and (2 + Research + faction bonus techs) Technologies.
-will gain a new technology every (10 - Research bonus) days. It will also be possible for another player to sabotage the research process, which may lead to waiting slightly longer for the tech or restart from scratch.
-The game will be played on the Chiron map which will be roughly updated by a moderator or volunteer in the Datalinks thread.
-There will be three threads: NEC Discussion, NEC Game and NEC Datalinks. For any opinions, feedback, general discussion and etc please do so at the Discussion thread. Game thread is for the story only and minimal OOC allowed. Datalinks is where all stats, rules, map, infortion and etc will be updated. Please mark which game year some peticular stat like Map, Bases, Social Engineering, Technologies, Energy, and etc as been last updated...so don't need to update it everyday, but will do so by using the game year as reference when the peticular stat needs to be updated.
-Moderator holds the right post Random Events base on the role of a dice, which all factions will be fair. Like, I role a dice on wether something will happen or not, then role the dice again as to which faction it will effect. (lets say there is 7 factions, then i would role a 1d7 dice [there is a site i can do that])
-Honesty, Common Sense and Consideration of other Players is required.
-Please be realistic people
-It is possible to go beyond the SMAC/X standards like new tech ideas or new form of government or etc, but should be discussed first in the Discussion thread or simply PM the main moderator with your idea.
-Have Fun!

GAME ACTIONS

-This is pretty simple, each player gets 5 actions per turn/real day. Meaning, one action can be a Military or Diplomatic or Industrial or Economic or Internal or Colonial or etc action. You pretty much say what your faction is doing in that action and then, depending on the action, will use the fudge system (which will be explained later) to figure out the result by considering various positive and negative factors.

-Give the defending player an chance to respond to your attack/whatever by stating their defences. If the defending player is not available

-Here is an example of an Action which you would post in the story thread:

Action 1 of Year 2134: Border Reinforcement

Five Laser Infantry Units from Morgan Bank will go to reinforce the Morgan-Drone border.

of course, you can be more creative and descriptive, but doesn't have to be. Being descriptive thought may give you some bonuses more on that later

Action 2 of Year 2134: Invasion of Scuba City

The Third Corp (10 Laser Infantry Units and 5 Laser Rover Units) will move in to attack the Data Angel's Scuba City base from Morgan Aerospace...

can attached a minimap pointing out the target and where your forces will be moving from if you want...

Determinants: seriously only need to do this if it not obvious that you will win or made some pre-arrange plan with the defending player. The game is ment to develop a story, so don't go off chicking out by avoiding major risks or moves that you may lose .
+2 Outnumber the defenders by 3 to 1
+1 Surprise Attack
+1 Infantry vs Base
+1 Average Weapon vs Average Armor
-1 Enemy Sensors
-1 Enemy Border Defences
-1 Up hill
(and so on)
Total: (2+1+1+1-1-1-1) = +2

...which they will succeed with 1/2 losses. need a +4 to succeed without any losses

Action 3 of Year 2134: Naval Expansion (turn 1 of 2)

The bases along the east coast (4 Bases) are to start constructing Laser Foils to expand the Naval Corps (each base as access to 3 Minerals, so about 4 Foils a turn).

some actions you want to last or requires several turn, which will take up one action a turn, will automaticly go on even if your not available to play for certaint days. The moderator will make progress is still on schedule, unless some other player decides to sabotage or something like that despite the +1 Defence bonus playerless factions (even temporally due to not being available)

Action 4 of Year 2134: Secret Project (turn 3 of 10)

The Merchant Exchange is proceeding well at Morgan Industries

Action 5 of Year 2134: Research

Morganite Scientists are to start researching Applied Physics.

need to spend an Action to say what your faction is currently researching, which they will get in (7 - Research) turns.

-If some players are going to be missing for a period of time, please tell the Moderator so he/she/zee can take Passive and Defencive charge of your faction. Can also PM the moderator what you want your faction to do while the player is missing. If your not heard of, take charge. Also possible to simply catch up when you get back, but you would be limited to actions that doesn't effect another faction or add bonuses or defences which would end up adding advantages against some action another player done against you... so limited to actions that doesn't effect the consistency of the game.

DIPLOMACY

-Anything goes when having negociations with another faction, but each diplomatic contact requires an action...to send and respond. PMing will be use by players to discuss this, but final agreements much be posted as an action (one action from the sender and one action from the responder).

-Diplomatic also involves proposals to the Planetary Council in which votes (1 per faction). All votes will be PMed to the Planetary Governor (which is elected by the players of course) and to the Moderator. If there is a tie, then the PG gets the final say. Some standard proposals may require certaint techs.

SOCIAL ENGINEERING

-This part is pretty simple. There is three aspects of your society which will effect the your faction's bonuses. The Three aspects is Political, Economy and Values.

-There is four standard kinds of Political systems: Frontier, Police State, Democracy and Fundamentalism. Each effects the bonuses in various ways. It is also possible to create a new kind of political system, just need to PM the moderator with the idea and then figure out the effects to bonuses.

-There is four standard kinds of Economic systems: Simple, Free Trade, Planned and Green. Like above, it is possible to create a new kind of economic system, just PM the moderator with the idea.

-As for values, there is four standards: None, Power, Knowledge and Wealth. Also possible to create other values, just PM the moderator with the idea.

-Yes, there technicly a fourth aspect, but doesn't come in play until late game...so until we reach that point in game using this system, i'll added it to the rules.

-Any changes to any of the aspects requires an action and costs 10 energy credits per aspect changed.

-As for funding areas...
-There will be 8 areas a player can shift funds into: Economy, Research, Psych, Industry, Military, Probe, Police and Support.
-All areas as the default of 0
-Funds can shifted from area to another.
-Any area cannot go any higher then +3 or any lower then -3.
-Economy Funding = addition or substraction of the Economy Bonus
-Research Funding = addition or substraction of the Research Bonus
-Psych Funding = addition or substraction of the Morale Bonus
-and so on...

-It is also possible to add to some bonuses by spending 50 energy credits a turn per bonus point (this doesn't work with the GROWTH or ECONOMY[can easily cheat with this one] bonuses)

-The bonuses are: MILITARY, PROBE, POLICE, INDUSTRY, ECONOMY, RESEARCH, MORALE, SUPPORT, PLANET, EFFICIENCY and GROWTH. Each will explained as to how they effect the game below.

MILITARY

-Military sizes is generally base on the number of combat units one faction as, and maintenance cost of extra units beyond the Support Bonus.

-The military bonus pretty much acts as the SMAC Morale bonus in the game, which gives units some advantages in training/experience.

-Infantry Unit = 1 000 troops
Rover Unit = 12 Rovers
Hovertank Unit = 12 Hovertanks
Air Unit = 12 Needlejets/Choppers
Gravship Unit = 1 gravship
Naval Unit = 1 Foil/Cruiser/etc
Mindworm/IoD/LoC Unit = 1 Boil
Probe Team Unit = team of 5-12 people

-It is possible to seperate units into sub-units, except for Naval, Gravship and Mindworm units. Like, it is better off to send a Scout Patrol of 50-100 people to go explore then the entire 1000... if that Scout Patrol gets attacked, then they have a 1 vs 10 odds against a full standard unit. The rest of the unit gets 9 vs 10 odds, which won't make that much of a difference.

-We will use percentages of damages, which is base on how many survivors of a unit. So, if a Infantry Unit suffers 30% of damage, that means the unit loss like around 300 soldiers. They can repair in the field, but takes sometime for replace to arrive from a base to their location...unless the Unit is direct link to the base by road and so on, or right in the base/bunker/outpost/airbase. If your attacking with an army of units and they get 1/3 losses, can destribute the losses among the units unless the action was specific like the "standard Infantry units rushes while the Laser armed ones provide support", so the ones who rushed will suffer the moss of the losses obviously.

-The use of determinants, if needed to prove the result of your action which involves another faction, is pretty simple. More like doing pros and cons, but with +1 and -1 (some factors may result to higher or lower numbers like wether your outnumbering or your outnumbered, Weapons vs Defence, etc).
-If the result is over +4, you get bonus sub-action against the defender for extra point (keep it reasonable) like the people in the Base you easily captures ends up calling your forces Liberators or able to gain bit more territory then originally expected or you end up producing more units then expected or etc.
-If the result is +4, then the action is a great success.
-If the result is +3, then the action is complete but with a minor problem/set back or with minor losses.
-If +2, success but with a medium problem/set back or with medium losses.
-If +1, barely successful with a major problem/set back or major losses.
-If 0, no success or disadvantage or no success yet not defeated...also may suffer some Unit losses in both sides.
-If -1, unsuccessful with minor losses and so on
-If -2, unsuccessful with medium losses and so on
-If -3, unsuccessful with major losses and so on
-If -4, unsuccessfull with complete loss of units without the enemy suffering anything and so on
-If more then -4, then the defender gets a sub-action bonus (within reason) against the attacker for each extra point lower.

PROBE

-The probe actions is pretty much similar to Military actions and also may need determinants.
-Probe bonus simply gives advantages to the factions probe offensive and defencive.
-If Police bonus is higher then the Probe bonus, then you use the Police bonus when defending against offensive probe actions.
-some of the standard probe actions cannot be done until you get the appropriate technology.
-Passive Probe actions (like just checking the base out, or exploring enemy territory, and so on) give a +1 bonus to the action mainly because the unit isn't trying to cause trouble.

-Mellian

Last edited by Mellian; May 17, 2002 at 11:19.
Mellian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2002, 01:46   #2
Mellian
Queen

Okay, I need like another moderator to help start this thing out...once development is finish.

another thing i need is a minimap of Chiron...trace out in black lines with white background saved as BMP if possible as i don't have Adobe Photoshop here (and not allowed to download it if i even could with this slow comp and modem) to do it myself. Just needed it so I or some volunteer can roughly update it of current faction territories.

what do you people think so far? interested to help out?

-Mellian
Old May 16, 2002, 22:18   #3
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 13:47
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Well, I could play. I would prefer Morganite at the start, then breakaway as Data Angels when it is convinent / when someone else wants to play Morgan.

Also, I'm good at mathematical models, for things like number of turns to produce stuff and whatsnot.

edit: I could also prodvide tables for things like time to produce, time to research tech, etc

Last edited by Blake; May 16, 2002 at 22:27.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2002, 23:52   #4
Mellian
Queen

Check first post for update.

-Mellian

Last edited by Mellian; May 17, 2002 at 11:21.
Old May 17, 2002, 00:05   #5
Mellian
Queen

Hey Blake!

I already got formulas worked out, just need to write it down...

but you can review them Tables would be useful, just one or two bonuses like Efficiency effects other bonuses like Industry, Economy, Research and so on. Anyway, they will be mainly use as stats and to prevent exagerations or undermining during play.

Only aspect of this system i trying to develop which will get lot of stress over is Military/Probe/whatever Actions that effects another Faction and how to resolve them without lagging the game or agurments, which is obvious from past experiences. Would to see this game to go in a consistant speed...

Anyway, once this is worked out, would be possible to use this system with some modifications for other games like Civ, sci-fi type, and so on.

-
Old May 17, 2002, 02:10   #6
Mellian
Queen

Check latest update at the first post

-Mellian

Last edited by Mellian; May 17, 2002 at 11:22.
Old May 17, 2002, 03:14   #7
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 11:47
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Mellian, I would advise that if you want to add things to the rules that you just edit the first post. It's much easier to just read the top post to find out what's new than to scroll down to find the latest rules revision.

Anyway, I would be interested in playing, either as the Hive or the Spartans, probably the Spartans.

Last edited by GeneralTacticus; May 17, 2002 at 03:19.
GeneralTacticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2002, 10:19   #8
Mellian
Queen

yes well the only time i can seriously work on this is at night and usually tired after doing a bit i don't always have access to the computer here.

Starting to rethink how we can easily and quickly resolve military/probe/etc offensive actions against another player without lagging the game or causing an argument or etc.

Military bonus should be figured in unless it is equal to the Defender.

-Mellian
Old May 17, 2002, 11:23   #9
Mellian
Queen

Check latest update at the first post

-Mellian
Old May 27, 2002, 20:59   #10
Mellian
Queen

I wasn't able to work on the system mainly because i didn't have much computer access and was busy doing other things, which as priority over the internet. Also been working on an Adnd thing too

-Mellian