Old May 16, 2002, 11:02   #1
ALPHA WOLF 64
Prince

Local Time: 18:48
Local Date: October 31, 2010
AI strategies
For the mod I'm working on, I'm thinking of adding some functions to units, but I want to see if anyone has actually seen them work yet.

Has anyone seen the AI ...
1) bombard a stronger ship instead of attacking it;
2) given bombard (range over 0) to a non-artillery unit and seen it bombard, or given artillery strategy (and bombard numbers) to an offensive unit such as tank, and seen it bombard offensively;
3) build armies besides thru a GL;
4) drop paratroopers;
5) direct amphibious landing using marines;
6) seen a purely offensive AI army;
7) seen an AI carrier, if so did it have planes;
8) seperate nuclear sub into a missile sub, and attack sub and seen them used appropriately;
9) seen an AI ship fire a cruise missile.

I'd appreciate any constructive feedback from any one who has tried any of these.

Thanks.
Old May 16, 2002, 14:32   #2
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 17:48
Alpha Wolf 64:

1. No (assuming you mean bombarding and then running away).
2. No (never made the mod to test).
3. Maybe - I believe (but don't have a saved game) that I have seen the AI build the military academy (allows building of armies) - certainly cannot confirm that the AI actually used the academy to build an army.
4. Yes! See my post here.
5. No . I've been trying various mods to stimulate AI amphibous assaults on coastal cities with marines - not much luck yet, but see DaSilva's post here at CivFanatics.
6. Yes. Have seen AI armies of just cavalry and of just tanks.
7. Yes. Many times. Even stealth bombers (though the AI does not seem to always protect its carriers with fighters on AS mission).
8. Kinda - have modded to make nuc subs carry up to 4 missles (nuke or cruise) and have seen AI use them to launch cruise missle attacks.
9. Kinda - see #8. My mod also allowed Aegis Cruisers and Battleships to carry cruise missles (2 and 1 each, respectively) but never saw the AI load onto ships.

BTW, I also modded normal submarines to carry up to 4 foot units, and have seen the AI repeatedly use them to surreptiously plant 4 infantry / paratroopers (?) into my home continent territories (but didn't ever see the AI use them to allow marines to assault a weakly defended coastal city directly from a sub -- I'd really like to see that!).

BTW, in order to test these mods in a real gameplay situation, be sure to turn off diplomatic, cultural, and spaceship victories -- you need to have some strong and advanced AI's well into the modern ages.

Let me know if you succeed in stimulating more AI use of marines in amphib assaults.

Catt
Old May 16, 2002, 15:49   #3
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 20:48
I have many times seen the AI bombard my stronger ships (battleships) with their old ones (ironclads) and then run away.

I have seen an AI carrier, don't recall if it was loaded. I didn't fight that civ, and it was a while ago.

As for the rest, no.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old May 16, 2002, 17:37   #4
spy14
Prince

Local Time: 00:48
Local Date: November 1, 2010
1) Yes
2) no (havnt tried it)
3 - 6) No
7) Yes, once... it even used the planes to bombard. I was suprised...
8 - 9) No

Quick question while im here, i want to modify the game in 1.21 (cruise missile firing subs etc)... do i use civ3mod file or modify the rules on a saved map? Can i modify a game thats already going or do i need to start a fresh one after doing the modding?
Old May 16, 2002, 19:25   #5
Grand Moff Tim
NationStates
Settler

1. No
2. Never tried that.
3. Yes, once.
4. No
5. Yes, a couple of times.
6. Yes, several times.
7. Yes, but I'm not sure if it had planes, it was a while ago.
8. No
9. No
Old May 17, 2002, 10:51   #6
punkbass2000
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameApolyton UniversityCivilization III PBEM
King

During GOTM7 at CivFanatics, I repeatedly saw different AI civs with carriers bombing each other. They really targeted resources, btw.
Old May 17, 2002, 15:33   #7
ALPHA WOLF 64
Prince

Local Time: 18:48
Thanks for the input. Its nice to know how the AI acts in others' games based on different playing styles.
Old May 21, 2002, 00:55   #8
Trevman
Warlord

Local Time: 16:48
Actually, I once had seen number three several times, it doesn't to seem to be that rare for me, although not very common either of course.
If you don't feel the slightist bit joyful seeing the Iraqis dancing in the street, then you are lost to the radical left. If you don't feel the slightest bit bad that we had to use force to do this, then you are lost to the radical right.
Old May 21, 2002, 09:57   #9
planetfall
Prince

Local Time: 17:48
#9 cruise missiles, definitely. I was playing with strong navy and ships are a special target, esp carriers. Think it was vs Egypt.
I noticed my carriers were down to 1 or 2 HPs and had not seen any ships near and was too far away for artillery. Turned on view enemy movements, and between 5-10 missles were shot each turn by AI. Eliminating Al removed the missile threat. But if conditions are right, AI does use missiles.
Old May 21, 2002, 10:27   #10
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Quote:
Originally posted by planetfall
Eliminating Al removed the missile threat.
haha
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old May 21, 2002, 10:34   #11
Bella Hella
Prince

Local Time: 19:48
yup, the AI bombards my battleships with ironclads and then runs away. i don't know about the other stuff since i'm a wussy peacemongerer.
Old May 21, 2002, 11:12   #12
Master Marcus
Prince

Local Time: 19:48
I'm a hybrid builder, but in almost every game, I've seen 6 and 7 ( 7 in every modern war ), and about 6 less often - in fact the AI uses regularly with 1.21f a pack of "defensive" units like infantry, Mech infantry when invading/attacking even without any other "offensive" like cavalry/tanks.
Old May 21, 2002, 13:43   #13
Seneca
King

Local Time: 00:48
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I've seen the AI send absolutely shedloads of cavalry (30+ units). Too bad about my shedloads of Modern Armors