View Poll Results: Which era should the fifth era be?
The future, would be cool to still being able to invent after 2050 AD! 34 25.00%
Prehistoric times would be better, makes the beginning different! 10 7.35%
The rennaissance age is more usefull, give us that era 19 13.97%
Colonial would be cool, I'd like to see that era! 10 7.35%
Fifth era? Why only five eras, I want as many eras as possible. A good game takes time 20 14.71%
Fifth era? No, not with me, I'm happy with what we have now 10 7.35%
Firaxis shouldn't spend that much time making a new era, though it would be cool, if they could make the editor usefull for adding more eras! 25 18.38%
How about the banana era, where you build banana cities, and builds banana infantries 8 5.88%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 16, 2002, 12:19   #1
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 02:48
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Would you like a fifth era?
I just read this thread, and thought why not make a poll of it, to see how many people actually would like an fifth era, and in that case which era!

For me that would be: add as many eras as possible, since I love games taking a lot of time to finnish

EDIT: Forgot the option: "I would like another era, but some other one as listed"...Sorry!

Last edited by Adagio; May 16, 2002 at 12:30.
Old May 16, 2002, 19:27   #2
TheBigTurkey
Settler

Local Time: 16:48
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I voted Rennaisance, but I really would like a dark ages era, because many new ideas came to light then (Not from Europe, however). Things from the Middle East, like Chemistry (Al-Kamii, I believe) and Algebra (Al-Jabir) came about during this time. I'd say the time frame is about 350-1100 (all CE), when the strongest civs were the Byzantines, Muslims, and Chinese. This would be cool, though.
Old May 16, 2002, 20:57   #3
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 19:48
IMO, the ancient age is a bit rushed... iron-age swordsmen right before middle age pikemen seems too fast. I would like some other ancient and late iron-age units in there.

Down with future techs!
Old May 16, 2002, 22:21   #4
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 18:48
no that would be too fundamental a change. however the ability to add extra eras should be given

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old May 16, 2002, 22:22   #5
TheBigTurkey
Settler

Local Time: 16:48
Quote:
Originally posted by cyclotron7
IMO, the ancient age is a bit rushed... iron-age swordsmen right before middle age pikemen seems too fast. I would like some other ancient and late iron-age units in there.

Down with future techs!
I agree with both assessments. I don't like future techs.
Old May 16, 2002, 23:13   #6
Tuberski

Actually, adding an era in the middle of the game would probably bring the timeline in closer with real life.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old May 17, 2002, 00:45   #7
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuberski
Actually, adding an era in the middle of the game would probably bring the timeline in closer with real life.
adding a new middle age adding 30 techs or whatever would be great. However, either the lower difficulties would have to be tweaked for faster advances, or the new age just not in the game, since it seems that people on the lower levels can't play out the game in time. Indeed, if I played chieftain right now, I don't know if I would make it to the modern era before 1950, since the AI would be retarded. On the upper levels, say regeant and up, this would be fine, as the AI can actually compete for, if not surpass the human in research.

But regardless, woudl love more techs, more units, more turns, etc. need a lot more turns if there are going to be more units, as there has to be time to get the advance and put out the units. Not like SMAX where every couple of turns you would get an advance and never see some of the possible weapons in action.
Old May 17, 2002, 05:11   #8
Jethro83
Prince

Local Time: 10:48
Should be the option to add as many eras, techs, units, etc. as you want. Let each individual decide on what kinds of eras and techtrees they want.
Old May 17, 2002, 06:16   #9
The Viceroy
Prince

Local Time: 01:48
It would be nice to see a future era, or a colonial era .. but my experiences with CTP have made me worry about future techs .. don't want some official era with chessy units and silly unthought through science advances .. (I do like to return to the original BIC file once Ive worn a mod out)

So , I decided .. leave it to us to decide .. give us the era's to edit/add .. and im pretty certain, somebody will put a lot of thought into it, and make a spanking excellent mod.

Shame we don't have multiple maps like in TOT .. as you could even go for multiple planets ..
Old May 17, 2002, 15:29   #10
ahenobarb
Prince

Local Time: 00:48
A future era would just be retarded! A bunch of stupid sci-fi "wouldn't it be cool if" junk.

There are already significant gaps in the previous eras -- fill them in. Ancient era? Was there an ancient era in my game? It flew right by! Despite the fact that 70% of human history played out in the "ancient era".
Old May 17, 2002, 18:26   #11
Zoid
inmate
C4DG The HordeCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG Southern Cross

Gotta go with ahenobarb on this one. Fix the gaps in the previous eras first.
Old May 17, 2002, 18:26   #12
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by The Viceroy
Shame we don't have multiple maps like in TOT .. as you could even go for multiple planets ..
yes
Old May 17, 2002, 18:28   #13
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

I want the future eras, myself. Hoplites are boring. Bring on the Imperial Stormtroopers.
Old May 17, 2002, 19:52   #14
Darkworld Ark
Warlord

Hmm... How powerful are these "Banana Infanty"?
Old May 18, 2002, 08:21   #15
Zoid
inmate
C4DG The HordeCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG Southern Cross

Pretty good, the shoot banana peels so the enemy slips on them. Even an Anti-tank spearman can´t fight lying flat on his back. Besides it looks darn funny
Old May 18, 2002, 08:52   #16
Playa del Carmen
Warlord

I would either want them to an ancient/Reniassance age or not change anything at all.
I REALLY dislike future ages. If I'd wanted to play a future age, I would've played SMAC.
Old May 19, 2002, 13:58   #17
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Renaissance/Colonial would seem to be the most interesting of the eras, as ancient units would be fairly weak and would take a long time to move between the civilizations.

as for the future era- CTP's future units were, for the most part, fairly bad. SMAC's units were better, but I'll back Playa del Carmen's response on that end.
Old May 19, 2002, 17:13   #18
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

colonial.
Old May 19, 2002, 19:34   #19
Jethro83
Prince

I was recently watching a documentary on the Stone age. It pretty much shot most stereotypes of our ancestors that far back right out the window. Our stone age ancestors were actually our intellectual and social equals, and not the primitive lifeforms we attribute to that era.

After watching this documentary, I've found the Stone Age to be quite an interesting era, and IMHO it would be a good addition to Civ III.
Old May 19, 2002, 19:39   #20
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

See, the thing about a fifth era is that there's the risk of it overlapping with Alpha Centauri. If that were the case, it would be stupid.

There's not a lot of science in the Stone Age, is there? Fire? Clothing? Pointy sticks? Intellectually, Stone Age man was little different from Bronze Age man, but there was a very large technological gap.
Old May 19, 2002, 20:41   #21
zulu9812
King

My major gripe with Civ3 is that it only goes up to modern day. So, yes, I'd want a future era. Call To Power II had it, but I guess Infogrames don't like using Activision's good ideas.
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old May 20, 2002, 02:17   #22
Jethro83
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. President
See, the thing about a fifth era is that there's the risk of it overlapping with Alpha Centauri. If that were the case, it would be stupid.
You're maybe right. But I was thinking that there be a future era and its techs and units, completely unrelated to Alpha Centauri. I want to storm through an enemy city with a bunch of missile and laser-toting mechs dammit!

Quote:
There's not a lot of science in the Stone Age, is there? Fire? Clothing? Pointy sticks? Intellectually, Stone Age man was little different from Bronze Age man, but there was a very large technological gap.
The stone age doesn't have to be an era that allows significant technological research. I was thinking of it as an era for early expansion, so that when the ancient era begins, you and your enemies have a strong base with which to play the rest of the game. But then again, a bunch of stone age cities with names we use today sounds a little odd. But so what!
Old May 20, 2002, 06:11   #23
August Borms
Prince

Certainly NOT a future era.
Old May 20, 2002, 07:37   #24
Lucilla
Mac
Princess

I wouldn't mind a future era, but rather than playing it on Alpha Centauri, I'd prefer it to take place on Earth. Building submarine cities or satelite stations is more realistic.

Concerning a new era in the middle of the game:
IMO, putting in some more tech advances in the existing eras might be sufficient. Having more optional advances would also give the game more variety in research paths. I hate it, when I have to discover, that the AI follows the same research path, but is just that little bit faster than I am. That doesn't leave enough opportunities for trading techs.
Old May 20, 2002, 11:04   #25
zulu9812
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Lucilla
Having more optional advances would also give the game more variety in research paths.
YES! That would give rise to more varied civs, rather than the linear progression we have right now.
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old May 20, 2002, 12:00   #26
godinex
Prince

What if We need is a Day, Month, Year calendar for the new mods and the editor. Let us select what unit of time we want for the game!
Imagine WWII Mod with a calendar of Days! Will be really cool!

Last edited by godinex; May 20, 2002 at 12:06.
Old May 20, 2002, 12:11   #27
*Clart*
Settler

i think there definatly should be a future era.but it shouldnt be the first priority. this dark age you guys speek of sounds cool.
Old May 20, 2002, 13:47   #28
Cookie Monster
King

I voted for having a prehistoric era since Civ has traditionally been a game based on history up to modern times. It wouldn't make sense to have a futuristic era given this fact.

I enjoyed CTP series because it had the future built into it. Activision didn't intend their product to be based solely on transpired history.

So as a true diehard Civ'er I say keep it pure and if they're gonna add another era let it be something based on actual history!
Old May 20, 2002, 13:53   #29
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 02:48
Just had an idea about making the "age" system different (attached picture). Here I have tried to make one ancient age (The one everybody has), two medival ages, three industrial ages and four modern times. E.g. if you "invent" medieval times 1, you can't "invent" modern age three and four!

Each different age number has something special, e.g. some wonders other ages might not have, or better planes, stronger tanks, etc.

To get to a certain age number, you need to have invented certain techs before other techs, e.g. if you invent money making techs as first priority, then your next age will contain more money making techs!

Hope you get my idea. It was just a thought on how to make the inventing area a little more different, since it's now just there, not much difference between the civs...
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	age.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	15785  
Old May 20, 2002, 15:59   #30
Lucilla
Mac
Princess

Quote:
Originally posted by ADG
Just had an idea about making the "age" system different (attached picture). Here I have tried to make one ancient age (The one everybody has), two medival ages, three industrial ages and four modern times. E.g. if you "invent" medieval times 1, you can't "invent" modern age three and four!
That idea sounds interesting. But would that mean that one civ follows one path and the other a different one (a little bit like parallel universes for the trekkies amongst us), or should the development then be the same for each civ, once a crucial tech has been researched?