View Poll Results: Which era should the fifth era be?
The future, would be cool to still being able to invent after 2050 AD! 34 25.00%
Prehistoric times would be better, makes the beginning different! 10 7.35%
The rennaissance age is more usefull, give us that era 19 13.97%
Colonial would be cool, I'd like to see that era! 10 7.35%
Fifth era? Why only five eras, I want as many eras as possible. A good game takes time 20 14.71%
Fifth era? No, not with me, I'm happy with what we have now 10 7.35%
Firaxis shouldn't spend that much time making a new era, though it would be cool, if they could make the editor usefull for adding more eras! 25 18.38%
How about the banana era, where you build banana cities, and builds banana infantries 8 5.88%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 20, 2002, 18:06   #31
grapedog
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:48
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Different Civ's following different paths would allow for more tech trading. Perhaps you can only trade for a tech in one age once you naturally gain a tech in the other. It would prevent the whole spearmen to tanks tech dump. I mean if you gave spearmen tank schematics they would be using them for their ceremonial fires not for building. I like that idea, different Civ's tech away from each other making Civ's more distinct in their late game...

edit/add: to add to that, i would like to see more middle or early game ages, not future eras.

How tough would it be to make both humans and the AI take longer to reach certain tech's while adding others in the meantime? You could also stretch the span each turn takes to stretch out the fun times. Many times I find the beginning game with warriors and spearmen more enjoyable than the end game with planes and marines and nukes.
Old May 20, 2002, 20:29   #32
Destroyer
Prince

Local Time: 00:48
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Why does it have to be the far flung future era???

There are pleanty of modern age, and slightly futuristic technologies that are not touched upon.

Having 4 power stations that all do the same thing, and that are less different that in civ 2 is a bit lazy, for example.

What about the following (no dodgy star trek ideas):

Media (newspapapers) - decrease in corruption
Television -
Internet - increase in research
Hollywood wonder (increases culture in all cities
superconductor - reduces waste
orbital space station construction
Moon Base (perhaps a new map)
spy satelites
EMP weapons
Old May 21, 2002, 06:30   #33
aneeshm
King

Local Time: 06:18
Colonial and Prehistoric as non-optional , future era as optional .
Old May 21, 2002, 06:41   #34
Jethro83
Prince

Local Time: 10:48
I support the idea of a future era. But only a near future era. Not distant.

I'm talking about an era where you can build units like mechs and cybers, and research techs like Robotic Warfare or something.
Old May 21, 2002, 08:17   #35
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 02:48
Quote:
Originally posted by Destroyer
What about the following (no dodgy star trek ideas):

Media (newspapapers) - decrease in corruption
Television -
Internet - increase in research
Hollywood wonder (increases culture in all cities
superconductor - reduces waste
orbital space station construction
Moon Base (perhaps a new map)
spy satelites
EMP weapons
I like those ideas, though I don't know what EMP is!?!

And btw, I'm talking about only near future, to far into the future would kill the game!
Old May 21, 2002, 08:22   #36
Jethro83
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by ADG

I like those ideas, though I don't know what EMP is!?!
Electro-magnetic pulse.

Fries the circuitry of electronic equipment within its radius.
Old May 21, 2002, 08:48   #37
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by LordAzreal
Electro-magnetic pulse.

Fries the circuitry of electronic equipment within its radius.
Cool
Old May 21, 2002, 10:18   #38
Adm.Naismith
King

Local Time: 01:48
Five eras and a different tech tree are old hats for anyone who browse The List v.2 and old "Suggestion for Civ 3" thread. Any quick search in apolyton archive should find impressive results.

I vote to add the renaissance era, but with the purpose to push modern era a bit into current/very near future. We know plenty of tech almost available in lab (still not ready for "prime time" show) that can be used without fear to be a science fiction lover (BTW, I like good S.F., as my nickname show quite well for McMaster Bujold readers ).

The whole Civ III suffer a bit IMHO from this design decision to keep the game simple and quite short (small tech tree), with a controlled pace (forced research limit), with the ability for the AI to attack human players on their best strategy (excessive trade of research to gain science leadership or recover in silly quick number of turns).

As the great strategist Velociryx (that IMO prove his skill in SMAC arena over any doubt) pointed out, a lot of design limits forced the human player to few winning strategy (if not only one) and that killed the game (or at least put down it from "greatest" to "good").
Any effort that will bring back some more player tactics, as different research paths, should be considered as an interesting opportunity.
"We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
- Admiral Naismith
Old May 21, 2002, 11:30   #39
Master Marcus
Prince

A more complete civ experience through the timeline, like Empire Earth ( i.e. adding prehistoric and furure era ) should be fine - and also extending the end of the Middle Ages or adding the popular Renaissance suggestion - so I would tend to vote for everything feasible. However I would like an emphasis for ancient/medieval/renaissance: actually we don't have much time to use medieval units before Industrial. I've upgraded through the editor the costs of late medieval techs and made 3 other prerequisites before Industrial transition - more enjoyable since then, and still challenging.

The future era should be short, like nanotechs and advanced recycling, thus adding no more than 50 turns ( to 2100 ).
Old May 21, 2002, 17:38   #40
ahenobarb
Prince

A non-linear tech tree is the way to go. More branches, with no climbing back. That would permit civs to become much more varied over time and present the palyer with a new strategic choice. It would also provide for cultural/anthropological differences as well.
Old May 21, 2002, 17:57   #41
Master Marcus
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by ahenobarb
A non-linear tech tree is the way to go. More branches, with no climbing back. That would permit civs to become much more varied over time and present the palyer with a new strategic choice. It would also provide for cultural/anthropological differences as well.
I agree. With that, we should'nt see the AIs sharing the very same techs all the time. It's quite boring, and sometimes frustrating to see half of your opponents sharing a newly discovered tech within a turn ( of course can be tampered through editor by AI to AI trade rate, but again...).
The existing Civ III's tech tree cannot be drastically changed into a non-linear engine, so I guess that'll have to wait for Civ IV.
Old May 21, 2002, 18:44   #42
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Personally, I'm don't want any sci-fi in my normal Civ game : I stopped playing the excellent SMAC because of its sci-fi theme which was stranger to me. I found CTP's future eras pretty lame. I always loved Civ as an history game, nothing more.

But I'm a diehard fan of the editor (Go Editor Go !), and I sure would like to see it possible in the editor. Maybe some fanmade eras would hook me with sci-fi ?
Old May 21, 2002, 19:23   #43
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Spiff, talking as a representative of the country of Jules Verne, you really should be ashamed of yourself.

Go Sci-Fi already!
Old May 21, 2002, 22:01   #44
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 18:48
i have to agree with spiffor. The essence of civ does not include the future, and adding one in the middle is too fundamental a change to have just in an XP. THere should be editor capabilities to add ages but any additional ages that are included should be optional.

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old May 23, 2002, 13:10   #45
ahenobarb
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Master Marcus

I agree. With that, we should'nt see the AIs sharing the very same techs all the time. It's quite boring, and sometimes frustrating to see half of your opponents sharing a newly discovered tech within a turn ( of course can be tampered through editor by AI to AI trade rate, but again...).
The existing Civ III's tech tree cannot be drastically changed into a non-linear engine, so I guess that'll have to wait for Civ IV.
If (more like when) they brush up the editor and give it full functionality, we will probably see a return of the possibility for NO/NO techs that you could add with Civ 2. If you can get that, you can branch your tech tree and keep civs from following someone elses or from trading the tech, but ... we need the real editor first.

Crossing fingers, holding breath
Old June 8, 2002, 21:08   #46
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

A fully functionally editor is due out in the new patch, sometime this month. Hopefully, it will allow most of what we want.
Old June 9, 2002, 00:07   #47
Switch
Prince

I agree, not furture.
I like the prehistoric idea, but that would require Firaxis to bump up the rest of the units to make room for man with stick, which would upgrade to a clubmen (upgrades to warrior), stone throwers which upgrade to stone slingers (upgrades to archers), heavy slingshot (upgrades to catapult), etc.

Plus, I think that this age should provide a background for waht the normal game starts out with......ie, you research irrigation, mining, axe (for chopping down forests/jungles, and allows creation of/upgrade to warriors), etc.

With that, the worker would only start out being able to create roads.

This would also give greater benefits to certain civ attributes: expansionist starts out with agriculture, allowing the use of irrigation, allowing greater growth, and thus greater expansion; industrial starts with mining, allowing greater production; commercial starts with trading, allowing roads to yeild the extra commerce we so take for granted in out current games.

Plus, our loyal subjects couldn't add to our palace until we reached ancient times, the current 1st age.

AS well, the graphics for the cities should just be tents, with the metropolises including an actual building or two (which would be rarer, as irrigation must be researched).

Just a thought........
Old June 9, 2002, 01:48   #48
ranskaldan
Prince

The thing is, the prehistoric peoples didn't have cities, they were spread sparsely across the landscape. For that matter, they didn't have roads, irrigation or mines either, or any form of large armies, or government beyond just one or two layers.

Frankly, I don't see how this could work.

Future techs seems to bring to us the memories of CTP... so I think that a little more detail in the current tree should be added. No new eras - just more techs and units squeezed in among the current ones.
Old June 9, 2002, 02:00   #49
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Some of the CTP stuff is reasonable in the near future; some isn't. But the game isn't meant to be a realistic one to begin with; it is a historical simulation at best.

CTP had some wonderful concepts; I am not a fan of the graphics or some of the programming, but some good concepts. Adaptable to Civ 3, while retaining the Civ 3 flavor.
Old June 9, 2002, 06:38   #50
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by ranskaldan
The thing is, the prehistoric peoples didn't have cities, they were spread sparsely across the landscape. For that matter, they didn't have roads, irrigation or mines either, or any form of large armies, or government beyond just one or two layers.

This could maybe work, by not having everything in the game to be historically correct, but then maybe it should be called something else...Though I'm no historican, so I have no clue on what else it could be called...But I think SwitchMoOs ideas are great
Old June 9, 2002, 12:47   #51
ranskaldan
Prince

Well, it could work, if we could figure out a way to make a game consisting entirely of settlers and warriors only.....
Old June 9, 2002, 21:39   #52
Thrawn05
King

I would like as many eras as possible... and be able to set the age limit to allow them in. Perhaps the game should end at 3050AD with Mechs and AT-ATs. Why not be able to research a tech called "Metal Gear" in the fith era?

I suggest Firaxis should leave the game as it is, but make it possible for us modders to add eras and tech trees and units and such.

Old June 10, 2002, 15:23   #53
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

why dont we go further with then the fifth era , there should be room to put two ones in between the eras there are now , and a fifth that would start from 2050 - .... , you should have the option to play this era or not , IE , get and end there , like it is now , or chose and play the fifth ,.....

have a nice day
Old June 11, 2002, 06:27   #54
Bane Star
Warlord

Local Time: 10:18
A few Thoughts
Quote:
Originally posted by SwitchMoO
I like the prehistoric idea.
As a great Fan of Pre 900's (starting of course at 9000BC) I love your Ideas for this. Editor allowances I'm working towards all of these ideas for my Mod.

Quote:
Plus, I think that this age should provide a background for what the normal game starts out with......ie, you research irrigation, mining, axe (for chopping down forests/jungles, and allows creation of/upgrade to warriors), etc. With that, the worker would only start out being able to create roads.
Editor allowances again.

Before it was said by
Quote:
Originally posted by ADG
Just had an idea about making the "age" system different (attached picture). Here I have tried to make one ancient age (The one everybody has), two medival ages, three industrial ages and four modern times. E.g. if you "invent" medieval times 1, you can't "invent" modern age three and four!
How about If the Tech Tree doesn't require All of the Techs to advance through the list, I had an Old Civ 2 fantasy tree that was fairly Linear until you reached the middle ages, Then It divided up into 5 Selected Areas Ocean Travel, Magic, Religion, Castles and Warfare. Each Path had about 9-11 techs that had no requirements from any other path, But I also had about 2-3 techs that required 2 different paths, these provided troops or buildings with nice advantages, but you needed to be very technologically advanced to get these before the end of the game.

Quote:
Originally posted by ranskaldan

Going with the Idea of Camps as the Icons for Prehistoric towns, these wouldn't necessarily have to be fixed tribes, but merely a location where the food is nearby the water is fresh and setting camp until the next season is the reasoning behind the towns placement, Obviously only ancient style wonders could be built at this stage of the game, as other types of buildings would be merely tents/camp structures.
Old June 12, 2002, 17:35   #55
Saurus
Prince

More eras??

No way!! There is just two eras anyway. Ancient and middle age.
+ 1 era that is halfway playable (industrial) and one era witch probably newer will be even playable - I never play trhough the modern era, and has in fact newer done so - It is no point in beeing forced to build billions of billions of units each turn (Hey! I am a peaceful builder so can't stand beeing forced to just war all the time - just becouse of lack of choise)

-S
Old June 12, 2002, 18:30   #56
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Saurus
(...)It is no point in beeing forced to build billions of billions of units each turn (Hey! I am a peaceful builder so can't stand beeing forced to just war all the time - just becouse of lack of choise)
Sorry, but I just don't get the point here! What has that to do with not wanting a fifth era?
Old June 12, 2002, 19:23   #57
Imp. Montezuma
Warlord

Local Time: 04:48
Definetly vote 'Yes' pro prehistoric era.
Old June 12, 2002, 19:49   #58
Ribannah
Queen

Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
Some prehistoric techs:

Foraging
Hunting
Fire
Stonecutting
Herding
Paganism
Agriculture
Mining
Roads
Herbal Lore
Weaponry
Storytelling
(Pottery)
The Canoe
(Archery)
(Ceremonial Burial)
(Bronze Working)
Irrigation
(Masonry)
The Calendar
(Horseback Riding)
Old June 12, 2002, 19:56   #59
Jethro83
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Saurus
More eras??

No way!! There is just two eras anyway. Ancient and middle age.
+ 1 era that is halfway playable (industrial) and one era witch probably newer will be even playable - I never play trhough the modern era, and has in fact newer done so
I agree that the modern era should be revamped, though I have little problems with the Industrial era.

But I believe that for the modern era to be revamped properly, there should be a near future (pehaps Digital Age) era after it. Then the tech tree could be redone so that it is actually building up to something outside the realms of the mere "Future Technology" crap which barely adds to your score in the long run. The reason I see the ancient, middle ages and industrial eras playable, is because you're actually working towards a next level.

Quote:
- It is no point in beeing forced to build billions of billions of units each turn (Hey! I am a peaceful builder so can't stand beeing forced to just war all the time - just becouse of lack of choise)
Please explain how this point has anything to do with arguments against a fifth era.

The way I see it, a new era actually gives more peaceful builder options for you to use. And if you're out of options and don't want to build hordes and hordes of units, just build wealth instead.
Old June 13, 2002, 08:11   #60
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

well , with this new editor , the current one as it is , we have so many options , like the number of units we start with , etc , ...

now , there should be an option (this is the idea of a 9 year old (!) ) , to put in era's , and you have the choice if you want them in the game or not , ....

example , we keep the ones we have , but there are 4 extra era's , (in an expansion pack or so) , when starting a game or scenario we can chose what era's we want extra , ......

have a nice day