Old May 11, 2001, 09:54   #1
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 19:59
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Production needs to be redone
In my "military unit from population" post, I talked about the allocation of people in a city. I want to take that to the next level in terms of production.

Having a certain number of people allocated to production is definitely something the game needs. But I think different buildings should be built and would allow the manufacture of more things. Then a Laborer menu could be brought up and the player could allocate where his workers would work. Also, having a commmodity system, as in Colonization, would be needed. Then, a player could manufacture goods to be used for trade, military use, or domestic use. Then armies would be created according to how many people are allocated for military use and the stockpile of weapons in the respective town.

In the laborer menu, you could drag and drop workers into a building in your town, and goods in that building would be produced based on the number of people working. If you wanted to put together a huge army of phalanx troops, you would put a lot of workers in your weapons workshops and you would produce lots of weapons that turn.

Military units should be created based on the population allocated and the amount of weapons in a city's stockpile. Under the Military subsection in the town allocation table, there should be a button that says "Create _______" with the specific type of military troop in the blank. Then the player would only be allowed to create as many units as his resources allowed.

If you want to make Civilization more realistic, this is the way to go.
Old May 11, 2001, 10:01   #2
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 01:59
Local Date: October 31, 2010
It sounds like you are talking about the Colonisation model. Correct?
Old May 11, 2001, 10:04   #3
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Different types of military units would require different things. A phalanx unit would require 1 unit of population (1000 people) and 1 unit of weapons (1000 weapons. Then a unit's hit points would have two meters, weapons and manpower. When people die, then the hit points are lower. And hit points would be raised by putting more people and more weapons into a certain unit.

During long wars, units could be combined. For instance, a unit with 400 people and 400 weapons would be combined with a unit of 800 people and 800 weapons to form a unit with 1200 people and weapons. A units attack rating would then be calculated based on the number of people, number of weapons, and type of weapons. You could also have bonuses for military units based on certain things. Military experience, training, loyalty, and morale all effect an armies power. Perhaps certain buildings in a city such as "Barracks, Training Grounds, War Colleges" would give bonuses to a unit's attack/defense rating.

Armies would be created by combining different types of units much the same as in CTP2.
Old May 11, 2001, 10:10   #4
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

very similar, but I'd like to see more detail, not just "weapons" but a weapons subsection with "swords, spears, bows and arrows" for ancient times, and "rifles, cannons, tanks" for more modern times. Then a commodity would be available when you discover the technology. And a new building wouldn't necessarily be needed, an existing weapons workshop would just be "converted" to produce the new item.

Also, breakthroughs in weapons should be allowed. Once guns are discovered, its not going to take an enemy a long time to figure out how to make them. That's what happened in real life. When muskets first started appearing, dead soldiers muskets were analyzed and nations started building their own versions. This would make the game better because one civ wouldn't be allowed to monopolize a techonology. More breakthroughs have been in combat than any other form of research. Once the bolt-action rifle appeared in Europe, other nations copied the design. The same with the repeating rifle, and the automatic rifle.
Old May 11, 2001, 10:23   #5
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 01:59
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Similar to my comment in another post, using the head model it is not possible to do this sort of micromanagement properly. You don't put 100,000 people to work in a munitions factory or into a tank unit from one city, but that is the smallest item of scale Civ is working to in the 20'th century. If they were going to tear up the old model and really try to come up with a new one from scratch then all sorts of things could be tried out. We know Firaxis are not taking that leap this time around. Perhaps we will have to transfer them to the Civ IV wishlist forum in a year's time.
Old May 11, 2001, 13:19   #6
tniem
King

What is being proposed would take real numbers with percentages doing the different jobs of the city. This is something I would be in favor of for the TBS genre. However it is obvious that it won't be in Civ III as Grumbold and cyclotron have already stated.

What I am more concerned about is the discussion of already beginning of starting the Civ IV want forum in a year. I'm not sure I will be able to handle it.
Old May 12, 2001, 00:14   #7
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

I agree with Grumbold. The scale of population units is simply too large. If you want realism, think of this: each population unit is about 10,000-100,000 people, an entire community, with different people in that community doing everything from farming to making bricks to traing with the next town over. It is extremely UNrealsitic to allocate entire segments of the population... I don't see how you allocate entire communities (entire suburbs and villages, actually) to work on a single task.

------------------
- Cyclotron7, "that supplementary resource fanatic"
Old May 12, 2001, 08:59   #8
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Guys, I already said this. The city number would be equal to 1000 people. It was in another thread so you're forgiven =).