Old May 16, 2002, 23:00   #1
Captain
King

Local Time: 19:49
Local Date: October 31, 2010
more trees please
Is there a setting for tree coverage?

I don't think there is but it'd be nice to have. Historically the earth was far more forested than today (ask any scenario maker), and people spent most of their time cutting trees down to clear land. almost all of NA was forest (except the prairies, deserts, tundra, and rockies) and most of europe was too. it was only in the last millenia that we cut it all down.

in my civ games, I'm always planting forests (esp. where there's no hills to mine). in the ancient era, it's all wide open spaces.

is there a way to increase forest coverage without making your own map? (because I like to explore, not knowing what the mpa already looks like).
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
Old May 16, 2002, 23:09   #2
Tuberski

I would guess that making the world wet when you start would give you more forest.

But that is just a guess.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old May 16, 2002, 23:20   #3
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuberski
I would guess that making the world wet when you start would give you more forest.

But that is just a guess.
I would think so too, but the danger is getting a ton of jungle.

you might try cold and wet, as forests grow on tundra, but not desert, and the cold would keep out the jungle.

Are forests seeded in the editor? If it is, you could set it to increase the number. doubtful about this though

too bad the forests can't grow as they do in SMAX, though there is was strange, having a forest double in size in a year possibly. Here, since it covers 6k years, more realistic, as lots can change. I would like it if the longer something is unsettled, the more likely to be forested, like if you razed an area of its cities, forests would eventually move in.

alas.
Old May 16, 2002, 23:59   #4
FrostyBoy
Emperor

Local Time: 08:49
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I hate the lack of tree's too, it's pathetic, I made a map with a lot of tree's and the game looked great and worked great.

The way the map generator generates it, is stupid.
Old May 17, 2002, 00:03   #5
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 20:49
Again, this is a return to "what would your average 35 year old office worker gamer like to play" sort of argument. It's doubtful most people want to spend half the game clearing forests, even if that was historicly accurate. Thought I must say, clearing 1 tile of jungle makes up for about 20 tiles of forest though.
Old May 17, 2002, 00:19   #6
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
Again, this is a return to "what would your average 35 year old office worker gamer like to play" sort of argument. It's doubtful most people want to spend half the game clearing forests, even if that was historicly accurate. Thought I must say, clearing 1 tile of jungle makes up for about 20 tiles of forest though.
You're right. If deforestation only took a couple of turns, then more trees would be ok, but it would be annoying to have to cut down mass forests. need a lot more workers.
Old May 17, 2002, 06:11   #7
Ijuin
Prince

Local Time: 09:49
Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel

You're right. If deforestation only took a couple of turns, then more trees would be ok, but it would be annoying to have to cut down mass forests. need a lot more workers.
This is exactly why forest coverage should be an OPTION. Just like you can choose whether a map will be 20/30/40 percent land, you should be able to choose whether the land will be 20/30/40% forested. That way, those who want more trees can have them, and those who don:t can play without them.
Old May 17, 2002, 06:25   #8
The Viceroy
Prince

Local Time: 01:49
Yes it would be nice to have a little more options on the map .. I would like to be able to make more Rivers !!!! As there is nothing more irritating than starting on a giant continent with a capital city, surrounded by mountains, and on the only river in existance ...AGGH .. Electricity can't come fast enough..
Old May 17, 2002, 07:18   #9
zulu9812
King

Local Time: 00:49
Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel
I would think so too, but the danger is getting a ton of jungle
Yes, I like to play on a Wet Warm world and you do get LOADS of jungle, but not significantly more forests. Do you get a shield bonus for cutting down jungle like you do with cutting down forests?
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old May 17, 2002, 08:14   #10
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 02:49
Re: more trees please
Quote:
Originally posted by Captain

I don't think there is but it'd be nice to have. Historically the earth was far more forested than today (ask any scenario maker), and people spent most of their time cutting trees down to clear land. almost all of NA was forest (except the prairies, deserts, tundra, and rockies) and most of europe was too. it was only in the last millenia that we cut it all down.

in my civ games, I'm always planting forests (esp. where there's no hills to mine). in the ancient era, it's all wide open spaces.

is there a way to increase forest coverage without making your own map? (because I like to explore, not knowing what the mpa already looks like).
hi ,

temperate , in the map editor , or make a map with more trees , .....
or when you have a good map , save its "seed" .

have a nice day
Old May 17, 2002, 08:24   #11
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

Quote:
Originally posted by zulu9812
Yes, I like to play on a Wet Warm world and you do get LOADS of jungle, but not significantly more forests. Do you get a shield bonus for cutting down jungle like you do with cutting down forests?
Nope, no shield bonus for chopping down those annoying jungle tiles. And they take what seems like 5 times as long to chop down too.

Someone suggested using Cool and Wet. Have you ever tried that?
Old May 17, 2002, 11:04   #12
Jawa Jocky
Prince

Local Time: 16:49
I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay,
I sleep all night and I work all day,

Sorry but this thread just got Monthy Python stuck in my head.

Hey humor is an important part of culture. There should be a Monthy Python Wonder (free entertainer in every city). Thank you UK!
Old May 17, 2002, 11:04   #13
Captain
King

I think deforestation takes only 4-8 turns, depending on your govt and whether you're using your own workers or captured ones, so it's not hard to clear. jungle takes forever (24 turns?) and no bonus!

I'd like a lot more forest cover, so if it's not possible now, then I'd like to suggest adding it an an option for the expansion. asleepatthewheel, that SMAC idea is pretty good, forests grow over time as the are stays empty... I like it!

I think more forest would also slow down the ai settling everything. I know they plunk down cities almost anywhere, but after I changed the food values and terrain values in the editor, the ai no longer puts cities in the desert (only on the borders) and doesn't do jungle either. forest still happens but slower. the overall ai expansion is slower too.

panag, I don't want to make my own map because then I'd know where everything is!
Sn00py, is your map in the files section?

also, could someone explain the seeding? how do I "save" the seed?

trip, haven't tried cool and wet yet. I'll give it a shot over the weekend.

Viceroy, more rivers would be nice too. more options is good!
right now, I made hills irrigable so this helps the irrigation spread from the few rivers to the dry lands elsewhere.
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
Old May 17, 2002, 11:07   #14
Jon Shafer

If you don't want to know where things are, just ask someone to load up a random map and add more trees to it.
Old May 17, 2002, 11:18   #15
zulu9812
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
Nope, no shield bonus for chopping down those annoying jungle tiles. And they take what seems like 5 times as long to chop down too.
You should get a shield bonus - jungle wood might not be great for building stuff but you can still burn it as a fossil fuel. Can this be changed in the editor?
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old May 17, 2002, 11:29   #16
Captain
King

Trip, good idea. Would you be willing?

Zulu, I don't think it's possible to give a bonus to jungle like that, but I allowed jungles to be mined, like IRL. the Congo has some of the world's most valuable mining operations.
Old May 17, 2002, 11:38   #17
zulu9812
King

Good idea Cap
Old May 17, 2002, 13:00   #18
Jon Shafer

Quote:
Trip, good idea. Would you be willing?

Zulu, I don't think it's possible to give a bonus to jungle like that, but I allowed jungles to be mined, like IRL. the Congo has some of the world's most valuable mining operations.
Of course.
Just give the specifications you want, and I'll make a map out of it. I'll be sure to add plenty of trees for ya.
Old May 17, 2002, 13:01   #19
Jon Shafer

Quote:
You should get a shield bonus - jungle wood might not be great for building stuff but you can still burn it as a fossil fuel. Can this be changed in the editor?
Well, it's gotta be good for SOMETHING, other than tying up workers for 500 years...

After all, I know that's not the case in real life nowadays.
Old May 17, 2002, 18:26   #20
Jawa Jocky
Prince

Local Time: 16:49
I chop down trees
I skip and jump
I like to press wild flowers

I put on women's clothing
and hang around in bars.

I can't get this song out of my head
Old May 17, 2002, 18:44   #21
Jon Shafer

*Snickers*
Don't you hate it when certain things in real life, etc. bring up a song in your head that gets stuck there for days?
Old May 17, 2002, 19:25   #22
Coracle
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Sn00py
I hate the lack of tree's too, it's pathetic, I made a map with a lot of tree's and the game looked great and worked great.

The way the map generator generates it, is stupid.
Yea.

And when all those dopey workers are set to automatic they won't stop until they've chopped down every tree on the planet!
Stupid indeed.
Old May 17, 2002, 19:30   #23
Panag
Emperor

hi ,

talking about more trees , ......well with 1.21 you can cut them , replant , cut , replant , over and over , and get the shields bonus every time , ....

have a nice day
Old May 17, 2002, 23:23   #24
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 11:49
I don't think you they put IFE back in.
(Infinite Forest Exploit)
Old May 17, 2002, 23:27   #25
Tuberski

I wouldn't think so either. Of course, I haven't tried.
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old May 18, 2002, 04:01   #26
KrazyHorse
Deity

Re: more trees please
Quote:
Trees tend to happen in cooler areas in game, IIRC. Set world to cool, high rainfall. That ought to do trick.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old May 18, 2002, 09:11   #27
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
I don't think you they put IFE back in.
(Infinite Forest Exploit)
hi ,

put cd-rom in drive , new game , it should be romans , ...try it , ....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

have a nice day
Old May 18, 2002, 09:12   #28
Panag
Emperor

hi ,

some one posted something about a number in the seed , ....one of those numbers , if they have a high value give's more forest , ...

have a nice day
Old May 18, 2002, 14:13   #29
Purple
Prince

clearing jungles
Quote:

Jungles are great sources of exotic wood: mahogany and teak come to mind. So a bonus seems justified, perhaps a smaller one than you get from forests. However, it seems wrong that clearing a jungle would give you a lush, green tile ready to exploit, when in the real world it usually sets up a desertification process--the soils are poor, rainfall decreases, erosion is huge.

Captain: Like Trip, I (and probably others) would be willing to forest a map for you if you tell us what size, shape, etc. to make it.
Old May 20, 2002, 20:25   #30
Captain
King

Cool!

Could you forest up a small or standard size map? Either continents or archipegalo. If it's not too much trouble, large deserts and tundra would be nice to create a sparser world. I like having cities concentrated in certain fertile valleys to begin with and the slow encroachment of civilization into the wilds.
Thanks! I really appreciate it!