Old May 16, 2002, 23:34   #1
Bluevoss
Prince

Local Time: 00:49
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Changing the course of literacy
All,

In my free time (damn that CTP2) I write books. Nothing published yet, but some near misses. I used to do SciFi but realized I was wasting my time, since what I really enjoyed (and wrote passionatly) was history. So now I'm working on a historical fiction - namely, the settlement of Carthage (by Elisha, a.k.a. Dido).

Details aside, heres the question: All of you have built hundreds of colonys. You've hit that little city button and pop! There is a new city. So what would that take? Not the step by step details, but what are the peculiarities? What are aspects about building a city from the ground up that would be interesting, enough to make the reader go "huh - I never thought of that."

Assume the proto-carthaginians are only starting with a couple of hundred settlers (some of them stolen from Astartes temple in Cyprus).

Heres one point I know: the first building to be erected in a phoenician city is the temple of Melqart. This serves as the centerpoint of the coloney. Also, everyone across the med knows that this temple IS sanctuary. You might be at war with the Phoenicans, but if you are here, you are safe and can trade open and honestly. It was the lynchpin the their entire colonization effort (almost a franchise operation, given the Phoenicians).

And, yeah, I know the ox-hide story.

p.s. founders-laf. My backdrop on my computer is from an old oil painting, "Dido founding Carthage". Its supposed to inspire me, but its a little silly. There is Elisha and a couple of shmoes dwarfed by these massive stone forums that they must have just recently assembled. Jeeze - how many craftsmen and tools did you bring? One with think that a struggling coloney on a hostile shore would have better things to do with time and sweat.

Oh well - I look forward to whatever responses I get on this.
Old May 17, 2002, 15:07   #2
child of Thor
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Local Time: 00:49
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Re: Changing the course of literacy
Quote:
Originally posted by Bluevoss
One with think that a struggling coloney on a hostile shore would have better things to do with time and sweat.

Oh well - I look forward to whatever responses I get on this.
well i think this goes to show just HOW important the religious needs of our ancient ancestors were. Bare in mind that alot, maybe all our ancestors used the medicinal properties of many things in shamanic traditions - so it can be expected that belief in Gods/Goddesses etc was more prevelant! Easter Island springs to mind as to how extreme ancient people would take their religious/spiritual beliefs.

My folks still force me to burn a model Longship every year to welcome in the new year(and see out the old) - i keep telling them that i would rather play a few hours of CTP2, but i get 'that look' , you know
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.