Old May 17, 2002, 21:48   #1
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 19:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Our World in 1520 AD
The Tale of the Years - 1400 AD to 1520 AD

1400 - Move 2 Caravans to closest Trimerene pick-up point near Balsindia. Demand that India remove its troops from near Shade. They do. Realize there is a quicker path to Democracy; I convert some inefficient Workers to Scientists and reduce the research rate for techs from 9 to 7! Also, slightly better path for Caravan transport to Apolyton found (roads aren't always the fastest travel). Move a Crusader to a pick-up point near Balsindia.

1420 - Move Trimerene out of Nalduria toward the 2 Caravans. Move Trimerene near Heliopolis and disembark Crusader. There is an Egyptian Crusader on the Pheasant and we kill it. I click on our Crusader again to prevent it from moving onto the Pheasant (there's a Catapault somewhere nearby). Disembark Musketeer to Forest next to Heliopolis. The SMC battle plan is in operation! Apolyton completes Collosseum and starts KRC Wonder. If I have counted the shield production right, this will work perfectly…

1440 - Romans discover Bridge-Building. Trimerene picks up 2 Caravans near Balsindia and heads straight for Apolyton. Paha Caravans heads for Apolyton. Umbra Caravan moves towards pick-up point near Balsindia. Move Trimerene to developed terrain NE Heliopolis. We discover Philadelphia (American)! Hmm, isn't Boston the 2nd American city? Means they have at least 3 cities, I think. Move vet Crusader in Shade toward Heliopolis. Fortify Musketeer next to Heliopolis.

1460 - Oh No! Heliopolis attacks and kills fortified Musketeer in Forest. Curse their evil souls! We lose Musketeer and Crusader… Cartheginian Trimerene attacks our Trimerene NE of Brandenberg, and dies. We are not even wounded. Rush Temple in Shade and City Walls in Darkness. I need production of units close to the battlefront. Move Trimerene near Heliopolis and disembark Crusader and Musketeer 1 square NW of that Forest square. We need more troops for this attack. Maybe I can lure some out and kill them.

1480 - Start Crusaders in Darkness and Shade. Nova Hispania builds Collosseum and starts a Crusader. Moving Triremes back to mainland for pick-ups. Pick up Crusader near Balsindia.

1500 - Americans discover Navigation, and move Catapault onto Forest square near Heliopolis and offer cease-fire. I tell them no as I don't want that Catapault to stay there and block us.Carthaginians and Romans at War! Brandenberg completes Temple and starts Crusader (they need an offensive unit).

We discover Democracy and start researching Explosives! I change Apolyton to SoL and use/move Caravans to help build Wonder. It leaves 10 shields required which is exactly what Apolyton produces. Perfect! Get a Diplomat and the Umbra Salt Caravan on same Trireme and they head for Washington for Trade and Embassy. I kill the American Catapault using Crusader. He nearly dies, but doesn't get Vet status. Darn! I up the Luxury rate to 30% and go into Revolution to use SoL. Rush Temples in Babar, Dortmund and Light (total 102 gold) as they would Revolt anyway.

1510 - Romans get Monarchy from the Babylonians. The rushed Temple in Light is not sufficient and they Revolt anyway. I convert a Worker to Entertainer. Apolyton builds SoL and starts a Crusader. We are a Communist government now! I change Science rate to 80% and Tax to 20% Corruption vanishes. We are both rich and productive! Tech rate is down to 5 turns. Barbs are near kIndalia and a Settler is at risk. Since it is irrigating, I can't move him. I rushbuild a Crusader in kIndalia.

1520 - The Indian government is overthrown. Going to Monarchy, I presume. 2 Barb Elephants attack kIndalia (not Settler, whew) and die. Sodaq builds Collosseum and starts a Caravan. The new Crusader at kIndalia barely reaches the Barb Leader and attacks (1/3 strength). We get 150 gold for killing the Barb Leader (wimp). I rush a Crusader in Darkness, as they were about to grow and I feared a Revolt.

The Romans and Indians both have Bridge-Building, and I want it. But the Romans demand 490 gold, and the Indians want Gunpowder. No trade!

Screenshots to follow, but may take an hour or so...
Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old May 17, 2002, 22:14   #2
Dr. Nick
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 21:52
Power to the Proletariat, Glory to the Politburo!

*waves little soviet flag*

We must rename the High Council to Politburo, change the name of our nation to something more communist sounding too.
Old May 17, 2002, 23:03   #3
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 18:52
great! ups and downs but there was nothing you couldve done about any of the downs

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old May 17, 2002, 23:12   #4
cavebear
Emperor

Cities1520AD:
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	cities1520ad.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	15616  
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Old May 17, 2002, 23:13   #5
cavebear
Emperor

Defense1520AD:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	defense1520ad.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	15617  
Old May 17, 2002, 23:15   #6
cavebear
Emperor

Demographics1520AD:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	demographics1520ad.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	15618  
Old May 17, 2002, 23:16   #7
cavebear
Emperor

Foreign1520AD:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	foreign1520ad.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	15619  
Old May 17, 2002, 23:19   #8
cavebear
Emperor

TaxRate1520AD:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	taxrate1520ad.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	15620  
Old May 17, 2002, 23:21   #9
cavebear
Emperor

Tech1520AD:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	techs1520ad.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	15622  
Old May 17, 2002, 23:22   #10
cavebear
Emperor

Trade1520AD:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	trade1520ad.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	15623  
Old May 17, 2002, 23:24   #11
cavebear
Emperor

South View 1520AD:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	south1520ad.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	15624  
Old May 17, 2002, 23:27   #12
cavebear
Emperor

TriremeFleet1520AD:

1 = Diplomat and Salt Caravan going to Washington
2 = 2 Crusaders going to Shade (or thereabouts)
3 = Triremes going to pick up Crusaders (and a Settler)
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	triremefleet1520ad.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	15625  
Old May 17, 2002, 23:29   #13
cavebear
Emperor

Citadel1520AD (hemming the Romans in):
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	citadel1520ad.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	15626  
Old May 17, 2002, 23:31   #14
cavebear
Emperor

Powergraph1520AD:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	powergraph1520ad.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	15627  
Old May 17, 2002, 23:32   #15
cavebear
Emperor

The most recent Wonders - 1520AD:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	wonders.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	15628  
Old May 18, 2002, 00:03   #16
cavebear
Emperor

Well, there are the screenshots.

Some random thoughts:

I'm really sorry about losing that Musketeer and Crusader at Heliopolis. I stacked them because I didn't want to risk being bribed, and I thought a fortified Musketeer in a Forest was pretty safe. I'll have to get a Diplomat down there to see what they've got. A Catapault and 2 Phalanxes, probably, but they have Monotheism and Crusaders now, so it might have been a Crusader, too. It's too bad the attack didn't work out.

Now that we are free of corruption, Marketplaces and even Banks will be worthwhile to build. I have a good number of new Crusaders being built (7 in production), so we should be able to lsunch a really effective attack soon. It might be worth approaching Heliopolis from the South where there is a plain to land on (to attack on the second move). The Forrest and Hills elsewhere limit our movement. It might even be worth establishing a city at 75,81 to speed transport.

Many of our cities are size 6, 7 or 8. We need to decide if we want to build Aqueducts to help them grow larger or if we want to just focus on shield production. And if we decide the latter, than we really need to trade for or steal Bridge-Building (that will help production in many cities).

We will have Explosives in 3 or 4 turns and that will upgrade our Settlers to Engineers. It will help our production to use some of them to mine hills. Should we terraform or should we found new cities? We have a good fleet of Triremes to move them around.

We need to consider carefully the next techs to discover or steal. The Americans have Navigation, which means they can research Magellan's. I'd hate to not get that and the Americans seem to built large walled cities, so it might be difficult to take. We can probably research it and build Magellan's first, but it would be a major Project and we would have to start quickly. Superiority on the sea is important in this game.

Food for thought, for the Citizens and the Ministers...
Old May 18, 2002, 01:23   #17
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 12:52
Local Date: November 1, 2010
My first thoughts upon reading these posts - before seeing the yet-to-be received savegame:

A turn full of action this time! And a tragedy for the new Peoples' Republic that so many of our brave comrades were ambushed so cowardly by the backwards Egyptian bourgeois hordes. We must not blame Comrade cavebear for events beyond his control - but instead prepare to exact revenge!

Now, to business. IIRC, we still have enough defenders in shade not to have to go into crisis mode yet. And look at Philly -
yikes! Size seven and walled - this may delay our plans to free the American working peoples after Egypt.

I recommend new cities instead of further overpopulating our existing cities. Large cities encourage wealth to be concentrated in the hands of few - where it is the workers of the world that should have the fruits of their labours. Furthermore, we get two squares of resources for each new city - and we no longer have to worry about the corruption of the Evil that was a non-Communist society! I see no reason now why we should not follow the establishments of new cities in all of Comrade CannonFodder's excellent recommendations.

We must put our citizens to work in the cities we have - and build the production infrastructure we need to create a military might in order to spread the red flag across the globe. Thus we need mines near our existing cities - priduction, not food must be our great priority.

To work, my comrades!

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old May 18, 2002, 05:59   #18
shade
King

Local Time: 01:52
Great job
You have done very well.
we got Sol in the 6th turn as I predicted(depended all on the moment when to get Demo...good you could hurry it even 1 turn )

Quote:
I rush a Crusader in Darkness, as they were about to grow and I feared a Revolt.
We are communists aren't we?(don't know about MGE but civ 2.42 this means no possibility to revolt(or not that I have ever seen) )

About Heliopolis as you suggested maybe going around might be a good move but then at least send 2 triremes with crusaders.(so we can take out 4 units hopefully only 3 are in the city so we can conquer it)

looks like the AI has started his techexchangesessions==> steal and bribe all techs possible
Quote:
We need to consider carefully the next techs to discover or steal. The Americans have Navigation, which means they can research Magellan's. I'd hate to not get that
totally agree with that...try to get Navigation at all cost...I'll try to work something out to get enough caravans in place so we can build Magellan's expedition 1 turn later.

Very good random thoughts

Shade

Last edited by shade; May 18, 2002 at 10:14.
Old May 18, 2002, 08:58   #19
Shaka Naldur
Civilization II PBEMSpanish CiversCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
Emperor

conquer heliopolis the same way you conquer the actual shade,
take a trireme and a few crusaders
Old May 18, 2002, 12:36   #20
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Quote:
Originally posted by cavebear
...It might be worth approaching Heliopolis from the South where there is a plain to land on (to attack on the second move). The Forrest and Hills elsewhere limit our movement. It might even be worth establishing a city at 75,81 to speed transport.
That will be the route to take to try a new assault. I will plan a new attack.

A musket in a forest still does not have good odds against a veteran catapult. It was a risk to take - if they lose their unit, we get the city; if we lose our unit, we get the city later.

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old May 19, 2002, 09:44   #21
cavebear
Emperor

Re: Great job
Quote:
Originally posted by shade
We are communists aren't we?(don't know about MGE but civ 2.42 this means no possibility to revolt(or not that I have ever seen) )
I'm not positive either. But I checked the Civiliopedia about Communism to refresh my memory when we became one. It mentioned that each military unit (up to 3) made *2* unhappy citizens content. That suggested to me that Revolt is still possible (though much less likely). I think only Fundamentalism is safe from Revolt.

Old May 19, 2002, 10:22   #22
shade
King

Re: Re: Great job
Quote:

I'm not positive either. But I checked the Civiliopedia about Communism to refresh my memory when we became one. It mentioned that each military unit (up to 3) made *2* unhappy citizens content. That suggested to me that Revolt is still possible (though much less likely). I think only Fundamentalism is safe from Revolt.

Just remembered where the problem lies:
there is still a chance of revolt theoretically but what are the things that cause unhappiness?
--> distance to capîtal : (in communism there is no such thing all are treated equally)
--> number of cities (this is the disaster for most govt's but under demo the max number of cities before unhappiness is 255 )
--> units out city ( only for demo(and rep??))
--> other stuff (this only has a minor inpact and is the only this that causes communists to be unhappy)

Shade
Old May 20, 2002, 08:28   #23
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Great job, Comrade President.

Q: Why are we building coliseums? Now that we're Commies, I don't see any benefit. Suggest we switch to conventional production-type improvements (library, marketplace) in those cities.

I can't rmember ever seeing a revolution under Commie, so we should also think about converting all thos Elvises to workers or scientists.

Also -- with Explosives coming, this would be a key moment in history to build more settlers -- Engineers at a bargain cost.

Of course, we must continue to build Many Crusaders for the Heliopolis campaign. Looking forward to seeing Plan B from the Marquis.

SoL = Well done!

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old May 20, 2002, 09:42   #24
cavebear
Emperor

Revolution is possible in Communism.

I went to one of my old games and found one where I was Communist. Selling the Collosseum and Temple got one city into revolt. In another, moving out the defenders did it. So, it is possible, but not too likely. It does mean that you have to watch your in-city defenders if you don't have happiness structures.

We are probably safe. We won't be emptying out the defenders from a city or selling the Temples, and we have Mike's, anyway.

I agree that the ongoing Collosseums should be converted to Marketplaces and Libraries. I trust the City-Planner will make detailed suggestions along that line.

As far as building Settlers quickly at bargain rates (to be upgraded to Engineers) goes... both cost 40 shields.

The only non-active Workers we have at the moment are all Scientists. There are no Entertainers.

Old May 20, 2002, 09:44   #25
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Quote:
Originally posted by -Jrabbit
Also -- with Explosives coming, this would be a key moment in history to build more settlers -- Engineers at a bargain cost.
Actually, both settlers and engineers cost 40 shields. No build cost savings at all!

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old May 20, 2002, 11:17   #26
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Quote:
...both cost 40 shields.
OK so I'm an idiot.

* -Jrabbit wonders how many games he screwed up with unneeded settler rushbuilds. *

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old May 20, 2002, 12:44   #27
CannonFodder
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontMac
Prince

Under communism, the city improvements work the same as under anything else. Note: cathedrals are one less effective once we have discovered communism. The big difference between communism and monarchy is that martial law causes two unhappy citizens to become content, rather than one.

If you've ever played the WWII scenario as Russia on deity, then you should know that revolt IS possible, and likely, if you don't build the necessary improvements.

The only one safe from rioting is fundamentalism. Democracy and republic each experience problems with units away from a city (2 with democracy, 1 with republic, though the first unit away in republic doesn't count).

Just be careful and we'll do just fine. If anyone decides to go against us, just send them to the gulag!
Old May 20, 2002, 14:49   #28
cavebear
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by -Jrabbit

OK so I'm an idiot.

* -Jrabbit wonders how many games he screwed up with unneeded settler rushbuilds. *
I seem to recall doing that a few times myself...

Old May 22, 2002, 09:45   #29
JCP
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameMacCivilization II Succession GamesScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Multiplayer
Prince

Local Time: 02:52
Quote:
Revolution is possible in Communism.
I went to one of my old games and found one where I was Communist. ..
I may confirm : city trouble is possible in Communism and martial law is very effiscient.
But that doesn't appear vith one unit in a size 4 city !
I've played games with revolts in communist cities, but they were large cities.
In any case, we have to keep temples, as we have Adam Smith's, but we must stop building more colliseum and change present productions to more usefull implements !
Old May 22, 2002, 09:48   #30
JCP
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameMacCivilization II Succession GamesScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Multiplayer
Prince

Local Time: 02:52
Quote:
Originally posted by Marquis de Sodaq
A musket in a forest still does not have good odds against a veteran catapult. It was a risk to take - if they lose their unit, we get the city; if we lose our unit, we get the city later.
Indeed, but not twice the same error : do attack by southern plains !