Old May 17, 2002, 23:05   #1
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

Local Time: 12:53
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Colonization wannabe - Conquest of the New World
I really enjoy Conquest of the New World Deluxe and I would recommend it to lovers of Colonization. When it first came out, I wasn't going to buy it, it sounded like a ripoff of Colonization. And no doubt that was its unshameful inspiration. But the implemention is completely different. This is more like a 3D game in many ways, you can zoom right in up close or zoom way out and when using explorers and zooming in, it really feels like an unknown land you are exploring, it's almost (but not quite) a 3d-shooter perspective and thus it is for the colonies, everything. Interplay almost did a sequel to it, it would've been good to see the game taking advatage of the new graphic cards. However, in spite of the pixel-based graphics, the gameplay is good. You can play any one of Britain, Holland, France, Portugal, Spain, or you can even play The Natives! Each has its own advantages/disadvantages and you can alter the victory conditions to suit yourself. Furthermore, there is a multiplayer option, and your victory conditions can remain secret from the other players so they don't know what your goals are.

Anyway, it'll proably be in some cheap bargain bin somewhere now. Don't get the ordinary earlier version, get the one with the word Deluxe in it as it is superior and has all the things the earlier version should've.
Old May 18, 2002, 01:02   #2
Playa del Carmen
Warlord

Local Time: 18:53
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Re: Colonization wannabe - Conquest of the New World
Quote:
Originally posted by The Rusty Gamer
I really enjoy Conquest of the New World Deluxe and I would recommend it to lovers of Colonization. When it first came out, I wasn't going to buy it, it sounded like a ripoff of Colonization. And no doubt that was its unshameful inspiration. But the implemention is completely different. This is more like a 3D game in many ways, you can zoom right in up close or zoom way out and when using explorers and zooming in, it really feels like an unknown land you are exploring, it's almost (but not quite) a 3d-shooter perspective and thus it is for the colonies, everything. Interplay almost did a sequel to it, it would've been good to see the game taking advatage of the new graphic cards. However, in spite of the pixel-based graphics, the gameplay is good. You can play any one of Britain, Holland, France, Portugal, Spain, or you can even play The Natives! Each has its own advantages/disadvantages and you can alter the victory conditions to suit yourself. Furthermore, there is a multiplayer option, and your victory conditions can remain secret from the other players so they don't know what your goals are.

Anyway, it'll proably be in some cheap bargain bin somewhere now. Don't get the ordinary earlier version, get the one with the word Deluxe in it as it is superior and has all the things the earlier version should've.
When approximately was it made (that is, about what year was it made)?
Playa del Carmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2002, 01:55   #3
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

Re: Re: Colonization wannabe - Conquest of the New World
Quote:
Originally posted by Playa del Carmen

When approximately was it made (that is, about what year was it made)?
The copyright on the game says 1996. It runs under both DOS and windows.
Old May 18, 2002, 01:57   #4
Playa del Carmen
Warlord

Re: Re: Re: Colonization wannabe - Conquest of the New World
Quote:
Originally posted by The Rusty Gamer

The copyright on the game says 1996. It runs under both DOS and windows.
Sounds interesting. I've been looking for something like this. I think I know where I might be able to find a copy.
Old May 18, 2002, 13:36   #5
Rex Little
Prince

Local Time: 00:53
What, specifically, does the deluxe version have that the original doesn't? I have the original and have often wondered whether it would be worth my while to pick up the deluxe when I see it in a bargain bin.
Old May 18, 2002, 21:10   #6
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

I think mainly it gives each nation its own unique abilities. There may be other tweaks but I can't remember them offhand. You can give your nation the "Missionary" ability which means tht for every church level, there is a chance that the natives will get firendlier. But that may've been in the original, I can't remember.

The Deluxe is definitely an improvement in any case, and worth getting.
Old May 19, 2002, 02:25   #7
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Yes, I remember playing a demo of that some years ago and being thoroughly impressed. I don't think it ever made it to my little corner of the world, though - but you're in NZ, Rusty Gamer - did you find it here? Perhaps it's time to take to the 'Net!

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
MrWhereItsAt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2002, 10:11   #8
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

Yes, I got it from here in Christchurch, New Zealand. I think there's a special box with 15 Interplay games in it which includes the one we're talking about.

Also, if you go here you will see the game under the bargain bin list.
Old May 19, 2002, 13:33   #9
Playa del Carmen
Warlord

I went to the Conquest of the New World Deluxe website and downloaded the demo. It seems like a really great game. I named a mountain after my dog.
Old May 20, 2002, 22:49   #10
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Isn't its battle system quite like Heroes of Might and Magic?

It's by 3DO contracted through Interplay correct?
Old May 21, 2002, 01:44   #11
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

The battle system is a unique game in itself, completely original. You can simply pratice playing battles instead of playing a full game, and that in itself will be a rewarding experience.
Old May 22, 2002, 07:45   #12
Mihai
CTP2 Source Code Project
Warlord

Local Time: 02:53
Yeap, good game. I play several games and I enjoy it. It was just that on my now old PC it was working slower and slower as I was advancing the game. And after some experience I didn't have rivals - I am not an expert, but I am good.
Old May 22, 2002, 09:25   #13
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 01:53
The deluxe game allows you to play the "High Native" and unify the tribes against the colonisers if you wish. You're not allowed cannon but your infantry and cavalry is hardier provided you can keep pace with research.

There are lots more special terrain features to discover that add bonuses to one or more types of production. I think the maximum map size is larger too.

Its a good game if you can still run DOS programs (my PC has to reboot in DOS mode to do it, a DOS shortcut from windows won't work.) I can always win open ended games but its by military conquest late in the game to destroy the high scoring nations. The AI seems very efficient at scoring points in the other areas like diplomacy, construction and exploration even if it doesn't seem to care where it builds buildings, often building houses on the optimum production squares.
Old May 23, 2002, 01:41   #14
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

Grumbold,

Check the readme.txt. It contains information that might help you to run the game under windows. Most importantly, if you set the MS-DOS protected-mode (DPMI) memory to 16384 within the memory tab within properties (right-click on the icon), that may make a difference.
Old June 5, 2002, 20:36   #15
Playa del Carmen
Warlord

Well, I just got Conquest of the New World Deluxe today in the mail. I like it. I haven't had a lot of time to play it yet, but I'm definitely enjoying it.
Old June 12, 2002, 12:45   #16
The Kaiser
Chieftain

I have this game gathering dust on my shelf. Couldn't get into it at all, ugly graphics, weird semi real-time control system. Although that chess-like combat phase was pretty well worked out. Apart from that bit the rest of the game was pretty awful IMHO.

Give me Colonization anyday.
The Kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2002, 01:58   #17
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

Well, you've got to have patience to get the first settlement started, there's some pottering around with the settler to find a suitable spot but there is a quick start scenario where you start with a colony already built. It's worth trying building up a colony to the fourth level if you haven't tried it yet. It's fun and absorbing.
Old June 24, 2002, 10:32   #18
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 03:53
I played Anno 1602 before getting Colonization and when playing Colonization I could clearly see that Anno had taken much influence from Colonization. Anno isn't that thorough, but has charming graphics for a game from early 1999 and it's general sentiment is very pacific.
Old June 25, 2002, 13:33   #19
Qilue
King

Local Time: 10:53
This is the first thread I've ever seen on this forum about Conquest of the New World. Finally I can pass on my experience.

The flatter the colony site the better since you can then put more buildings in the available area.

Buy 2 goods asap as you need this to build your first commerce building. They will cost you 60 gold, but you'll be making 'millions' later from exports to Europe. You also need goods to get a colony above level 2.

During early game, you can trade unwanted extra food to the natives for desperately needed wood and minerals.

Desert is more productive than grassland.

Explorers are limited by how many taverns you have, however you can have unlimited leaders. As a kind of 'exploit', build leaders with all points in movement and then use the 'explore' hot key. They aren't quite as good as level 4 explorers though but you can have as many as you want.

Never ever ever trust the AIs. They usually have armies on their way to destroy you at the same time they are offering a peace treaty.

I've found the best army to start is 12 (6 foot, 3 horse and 3 arty) and use the rest of the leader's points for attacks with any remainder into morale. Once you can raise better leaders, go up in multiples of 4 (16 - 8 foot, 4 horse, 4 arty) but don't scrimp on attacks.

Some kind of leader and regulars are always better than militia with no leader for colony defence.

Best attributes
Admiral - better ships
Conquerer - more troops allowed per fort
Craftsman - more gold when exporting to Europe

Research, research, research, research and more research. Spend every spare gold piece on this. The problem though is you are limited to 99,999 gold per area (there are 7) so you may end up having to to build more academies. In more than a few games, I was spending over 2 million per turn on research.

The armies your mother country sends during the independance war aren't very big, but they are quite good.

That's all I can think of right now, it's been a few years since I last played it.