Old May 19, 2002, 16:56   #1
geofelt
Prince

Local Time: 19:56
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Many tech start
I just started a deity game on a large world(2.42) To my surprise, I got 11 techs.
irrig
mining
alphabet
bronze
ceremonial burial
construction
masonry
monarchy!
trade!!
roads.
I have attached the b4000.sav
Attached Files:
File Type: sav ca_b4000.sav (132.7 KB, 16 views)
Old May 19, 2002, 17:09   #2
Deity Dude
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 20:56
u only listed 10 LOL and 3 everyone gets. EVen so, 7 is an unusually high start but not unheard of. There is a thread about it in the Great Library somewhere.
Old May 19, 2002, 18:19   #3
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 02:56
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Monarchy at start

Must have been an easy game then
Old May 19, 2002, 18:27   #4
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 00:56
Seven starting techs is good going - but the record is eight. For the purposes of counting science at 4000BC Irrigation, mining and roads are always omitted.

------------------

SG(2)
Old May 19, 2002, 18:34   #5
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

The best tech start I have seen is 8 on a Medium World playing 2.42. 4000BC start is below.

--------------------

SG(2)
Attached Files:
File Type: zip hadrian.zip (15.1 KB, 7 views)
Old May 19, 2002, 18:52   #6
Shaft
Settler

Local Time: 01:56
The best I ever had, were 7 Techs but Mona wasn't included although it was a pretty bad Startingposition - an one square island. It was even a mountain.
Old May 19, 2002, 19:02   #7
geofelt
Prince

I omitted code of laws. After the standard three, that's eight. There is a reason for the generosity. So far, I have been doing well.
Old May 20, 2002, 10:03   #8
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Yes remove the normal 3 and you end up with 8, which is also the most I've ever received. What's even more fun, is that they don't count against beaker counts for the next techs. A hugh advantage when you 9th tech only costs 10 beakers instead of 90.
Old May 20, 2002, 13:25   #9
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 18:56
Quote:
Originally posted by Shaft
The best I ever had, were 7 Techs but Mona wasn't included although it was a pretty bad Startingposition - an one square island. It was even a mountain.

Excitement as you read the popup intro, then...

The screen shows you on your mountain!

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old May 20, 2002, 14:13   #10
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by rah
What's even more fun, is that they don't count against beaker counts for the next techs. A hugh advantage when you 9th tech only costs 10 beakers instead of 90.
Wow. I always assumed that those techs weren't free. (I know, I'm lazy and should have looked it up in the GL.) Lately, I've been playing "no tech" starts...

Do you just "pay" for those techs with bad starting position then? (Bad land, no specials, hemmed in, etc)
Further enlightenment?

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old May 20, 2002, 15:52   #11
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by -Jrabbit

Wow. I always assumed that those techs weren't free. (I know, I'm lazy and should have looked it up in the GL.) Lately, I've been playing "no tech" starts...

Do you just "pay" for those techs with bad starting position then? (Bad land, no specials, hemmed in, etc)
Further enlightenment?
The answer is a qualified - yes -- Qualified because it is what the AI considers a bad start ie few if any grass squares - you might be sitting on a beiautiful river comples with two trade specials, but as long as there is little grass the AI feels hard done by --- AAAAAh

SG[1]
Old May 20, 2002, 16:51   #12
rah
lifer
Just another peon

And i think proximity of nearest other civ is considered in the equation and the machine thinks the oposite of what you might consider good.
Old May 20, 2002, 18:15   #13
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Thanx, SG[1]. Also, can you be more specific, rah?

Are you saying that (with a many-tech start and "bad" land)

1) I'll have other civs breathing down my neck, or
2) I'll be isolated?

* -Jrabbit, needing to have it spelled out... *

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old May 20, 2002, 18:48   #14
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

For medium and larger worlds...

If you share a small/medium landmass with another civ the game will tend to compensate you with extra starting techs. Generally, the game is geared to food and population growth. If you have one of those "green" starts with your two settlers surrounded by grassland squares; science at 4000BC will be minimal. Should you begin on a grassland/river at the start, the game will decide this is "great" and probably give no starting techs.

Whilst it is fairly clear that the AI knows your proximity to another civ - it is very doubtful that the game can assess the squares other than the 21 revealed at 4000BC. The best starts are those yielding good initial science with sweet locations a few tiles away which we presume the game doesn't "know" about.

---------------------

SG(2)
Old May 21, 2002, 00:47   #15
Straybow
Civilization II Succession GamesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 17:56
Git(2), you don't think it knows the size of the landmass you're on? Didn't look at your megatech start. I took a look at geofelt's start and based on "black clicking" it is a very small continent (or a large island, take your pick).
Old May 21, 2002, 03:14   #16
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

There are many occasions when a small continent on a large map will give a reasonable start with extra science. However, this process is not consistent. Just as there are examples of mega starts, there are many awful positions at 4000BC! These foibles keep us guessing and playing

------------------

SG(2)
Old June 3, 2002, 01:41   #17
Bloody Monk
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Geofelt

Have you played out this start?? What path did you follow--AC or conquest??

I started out AC with seven cities as a core. Then I got an advanced tribe on the continent to the West which led to a land war with the Greeks; very draining and diverting of resources and attention. One thing led to another and now it looks like it'll be a conquest game for me. Don't know if there will be enough time though. And it is interesting taking on the world as less than Supreme--the other Civs completely ignore my demands. For now.
Old June 3, 2002, 12:46   #18
Six Thousand Year Old Man
Civilization II Succession Games
King

I started a ToT game yesterday night and began with 7 techs. The continent was a large one - but this is the interesting part - my 'immediate' start position had 1 grassland, some plains, 1 or 2 desert, and 2 fish in the radius! Not a bad start, all things considered. However, once I started to explore with my 2nd Settler (and later, with Warriors) the rest of the terrain on my end of the continent was fairly crummy. I started most of my cities in whale or fish access spots just so they would grow.

Bottom line is - this tends to make me think that the program grants techs based on more than just the 21 squares you can see at the start.

STYOM

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old June 4, 2002, 15:03   #19
geofelt
Prince

I went for conquest. I got to a point where it was just a matter of time, so I quit. My approach is to build up my economy and bribe cities.
Old June 4, 2002, 15:15   #20
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Even though it makes the game quite easier, I never got into bribing cities. There was just no satisfaction in it. I guess I just like to smash all the defenders. And it would really irritate me when a spy would slip through and on that rare occasion and bribe one of my cities. (since I was usually in democracy or had so much money it was too cost prohibitive)

But that's the beauty of the game. If you don't like doing it the simple way, there's always many harder alternatives.
Old June 6, 2002, 01:52   #21
Bloody Monk
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Quote:
Originally posted by rah
Even though it makes the game quite easier, I never got into bribing cities. There was just no satisfaction in it. I guess I just like to smash all the defenders.
Well said, rah.

I only have SP and I choose deity, raging for the same reason. City bribing takes away too much of the challenge. I think of it as giving the AI a handicap, like in golf or bowling. Barb cities are different in my mind and I do bribe them on occasion. Planning a successful invasion and watching it unfold really gets 'the little gray cells' going.

It is all about having fun....
Old June 6, 2002, 09:19   #22
rah
lifer
Just another peon

RAH takes a bow.

I'm glad most people agree to no city bribing when we play MP.
Before we did, every game was a get money or lose all your cities game. Not much fun.

RAH
Old June 6, 2002, 10:26   #23
Straybow
Civilization II Succession GamesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 17:56
If you station a Spy in your city does she not have the chance to defend against the dastardly actions of your enemy Spy?
Old June 6, 2002, 13:29   #24
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 14:56
how about a no city wall game?
Old June 6, 2002, 13:34   #25
debeest
Prince

Local Time: 16:56
IIRC, a dip/spy in your city protects only against tech theft, not against any of the other spy capabilities.