Old May 21, 2002, 22:10   #151
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 02:58
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Bleyn
Don't forget another factor that needs to be considered in these guessing games on the new Civs. The fact sheet strongly implies that the UUs for the eight new civs will be divided up such that there will be two new ones in each era.
Mmmmmmh (thinking)
Celts : most probably, a specific swordsman / warrios / spearsman because of the war against the Romans. Ancient
Spanish : conquistadores, medieval
Koreans : Hwacha, medieval
Vikings : Berzerk, ancient or medieval
Mongols : Keshik, ancient or mediaval
Carthaginians : unknown, most probably ancient (elephants I'd say)

We're left with 2 Civs, which will probably be :
- a middle Eastern or African Civ (golden age : medieval or ancient)
- a native american Civ (golde age : medieval or ancient)

I suppose they'll give some more UUs to the new Civs, as AOKexp did, to have some more modern UUs. But, there is no way for them to span the UUs equally among the eras, as most Civs don't have anything specific in their miltary today, and not much was specific in the industrial era.
Old May 22, 2002, 05:03   #152
statusperfect
King

5.3.3 Conquistador
There is another possibility. Maybe you get the conquistador when you invent navigation? Let's not be so sure there are new units.
Old May 22, 2002, 05:31   #153
statusperfect
King

Hmm?
Maybe tou there are limitations like "you can only build mongol horseman under despotism/monarchy"?

Maybe conquistadors are instead of knights but can't make war on their home continent/culture?

There are limitless ways they can make these units more balanced withou adding anything new.
Old May 22, 2002, 15:53   #154
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by kring

Hopefully, this question will be resolved before the end of E3.

It would be nice if updates were put out on the link with additional information since the company does know more.
hi ,

the link was not made for gamers , .....

however ; if there is more news you can find it apolyton , whatever we know , we send to aployton , .......

have a nice day

Last edited by Panag; May 22, 2002 at 16:05.
Old May 22, 2002, 17:38   #155
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 20:58
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by monkspider
Here's a new Paradigm for us to consider on the Conquistador/Knight question
Firaxis introduces a number of new units in the XP.
One of those new units is the Crusader, back from Civ 2. Fitting somewhere between knight and cavalry.
The Conquistador is a special version of the Crusader.
How do you know they're bringing it and others back?
Old May 22, 2002, 17:43   #156
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip

How do you know they're bringing it and others back?
hi ,

please go to the thread "first screenshots .......", about page 4 or 5 , there are some pics in blowup , we posted , ....

have a nice day
Old May 22, 2002, 17:50   #157
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

I've seen the new pictures, but how do they prove that the Crusader is coming back?
Old May 22, 2002, 17:51   #158
Spiffor

Trip :
The comeback of the crusaders is not a fact, it's a speculation (I suppose the present tense is intended to make the sentence simple)
Old May 23, 2002, 16:01   #159
XarXo
Prince

Local Time: 00:58
Spain? Not Castile?
Old May 23, 2002, 19:24   #160
Spiffor

XarXo :
I think most non-Europeans wouldn't understand the nuance. In fact, many Europeans wouldn't understand the nuance either. I know there are differences between Castillans and the other people of the territory which is currently called Spain, but look at it :
We always learned Spain was one leading power in Europe during the Renaissance, that Spain conquered most of America, that Spanish is the 3 world language, and today, the small yellow area on the world map is called Spain.

Another thing :
THere is no English Civ in the game, but a British Civ. That's why some enemies of England are in, like William Wallace. Most current countries featured in the game are apparently monolithic while they are on a territory populated by various people. It's normal Spain is considered united too.
Old May 23, 2002, 19:42   #161
Jon Shafer

Just the same as Germany instead of Prussia or Brandenburg.
Old May 24, 2002, 11:36   #162
XarXo
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
XarXo :
I think most non-Europeans wouldn't understand the nuance. In fact, many Europeans wouldn't understand the nuance either. I know there are differences between Castillans and the other people of the territory which is currently called Spain, but look at it :
We always learned Spain was one leading power in Europe during the Renaissance, that Spain conquered most of America, that Spanish is the 3 world language, and today, the small yellow area on the world map is called Spain.
As you said, you learned that was Spain, but in all the territories that speak "spanish" they learn that the language is "castellano" and not "español". In this case, the problem is the usual that schools have.

I. e.: Here we learned that a great medieval writer was "Ausïes Marc", but in a recent letter they found that the correct name was "Auss Marc", but everybody knows him as "Asuïes".

EDIT: With this, I want say that in Civ III are "cultures" what generate "civilizations", so if there isn't a spanish culture (I'm speaking of a one that mixes the catalan one with basque and castilian, not andalusian and their bullfighting, "ole ole" and flamenco dancing. Please note that andalusian spoke castilian, not an own language), then couldn't exist a spanish civilization.

In fact, the Crown of Aragon existed till the XVIII century (succession war)... But... In the other side... If FIRAXIS put Mao Tse Tung as the greatest chinese leader, the "Spanish" tribe surely could exist...

You're french as I read, what do you think about Quebec ?

Quote:
Another thing :
THere is no English Civ in the game, but a British Civ. That's why some enemies of England are in, like William Wallace. Most current countries featured in the game are apparently monolithic while they are on a territory populated by various people. It's normal Spain is considered united too.
Well... In the Official Game's Guide (PDF version) of Civilization III Original Edition they appear as British, in the game as English...

Everybody knows more about Wales and Scotland than Euskal Herria(*) or Catalan Countries(*), this is normal because they ARE near to England. That's all.

If I said you that catalan is the second biggest "minor" language of Europe with 10 milions (7 of them have the language as mother tongue) of spokers, and that the fisrt one is kurd (if we consider Turkey as a part of Europe...), surely doesn't impress you... I understand this .

If we think that New York has 17 milions in its metropolitan area, we esaly can consider that this is only a small thing in the world.

Finally, as a lot of people said me: "UZ DA EDITOR 'N' SHADDAP!!"

I'll learn 3D art creation, modify the necessary text files and present the BEST MODPACK that no one have played ever!! YES!

------------

(*) These names are a lot demonized by pro-spain people, I know it.

Last edited by XarXo; May 24, 2002 at 12:13.
Old May 24, 2002, 12:04   #163
XarXo
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
Just the same as Germany instead of Prussia or Brandenburg.
Prussia, Germany and Brandenburg spoke the SAME langauge, and are in the SAME area, so don't make confusing posts, please...
Old May 24, 2002, 16:11   #164
Jon Shafer

So what if they spoke the same language...

They still weren't the same. The concept of "Germany" is one only about 130 years old, much younger than most countries.
Old May 24, 2002, 16:50   #165
Spiffor

Trip :
Not quite, XarXo has a point here. The concept of "Germany" roots down to the Holy Roman-German Empire, where the actual divisions between all the countries of Germanic culture made the German Civ very weak. During the whole first half of the 19th century, there was a big argument if the inevitable unified German country should encompass all Germanic people (including the ones of Austria) or only a part (being the post-1870 Germany).
The whole German nationalism was about unifiing the German people who were outside the borders : Alsacians, Sudetians, German people in Russia. It's very new that it's possible to become German without marrying a German person. But it's still possible to get the German nationality if you belong to a community in Russia who is considered a German community (even if your community doesn't speak German anymore for several centuries).

To make a long story short : Germanic culture exists for a veeeeeeeeery long time, and the concept of a only country which encompasses it is not young at all.

XarXo : When I meant "we all", I meant "we, all people who don't belong to the territory which happens to be called Spain" (sorry, but I don't want to call XarXo a Spaniard, I'd fear for my life )
I'm not saying you're wrong when you say a Spanish Civ is incorrect (it's as absurd as an "American" Civ), but I'm saying it's normal Firaxis does this way, for the sake of the many people who don't know anythin about the internal problems of the territory which happens to be called Spain.
Old May 24, 2002, 16:55   #166
Jon Shafer

So are you arguing that Castile should be included and not Spain?

I'm well aware of Germanic history, but we're talking within the bounds of Civ III (which says a lot). Castile vs. Spain wouldn't fit either, which is the point I'm trying to make. I'm not saying that Prussians were as different as Hannovarians like Koreans and Chinese; however, I am trying to make the Civ III distinction.
Old May 24, 2002, 17:29   #167
Spiffor

Trip :
No, I think the Spanish should be included, just like the Americans. But I understand why XarXo doesn't feel so. His arguments are solid, but the logic of the game require the Spanish to be in.
Old May 25, 2002, 00:23   #168
XarXo
Prince

I've to admit that a Spanish civ was the most adequate, due ONLY that it represents all the "latino" world, including Portugal too (Portugal was, with the Crown of Aragon, the third originally proposed member of Spain, in some years it was inside in the kingdmom of Spain).

Well, it rest for me that the choosen leader is Isabella, queen FIRST of Castile, so, Crown of Aragon isn't here. The problem is that surely FIRAXIS included Barcelona and València... But... There are a "Barcelona" and a "Valencia" in Ecuador and Venezuela respectively, so, quite good... I'm "saved" !!

Don't worry abut me, I'm not a stupid "etarra" terrorist, I consider that violence (out of a game, of course! ) is only a solution for minor lifeforms (this includes George W. Bush, Saddam Hussein, Ussamah Bin Laden and Sharon).
Old May 25, 2002, 01:23   #169
Jon Shafer

Quote:
Originally posted by XarXo
I've to admit that a Spanish civ was the most adequate, due ONLY that it represents all the "latino" world, including Portugal too (Portugal was, with the Crown of Aragon, the third originally proposed member of Spain, in some years it was inside in the kingdmom of Spain).
That's my (only) point.
Old May 26, 2002, 11:26   #170
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by XarXo

Well, it rest for me that the choosen leader is Isabella, queen FIRST of Castile, so, Crown of Aragon isn't here. The problem is that surely FIRAXIS included Barcelona and València... But... There are a "Barcelona" and a "Valencia" in Ecuador and Venezuela respectively, so, quite good... I'm "saved" !!

Don't worry abut me, I'm not a stupid "etarra" terrorist, I consider that violence (out of a game, of course! ) is only a solution for minor lifeforms (this includes George W. Bush, Saddam Hussein, Ussamah Bin Laden and Sharon).
hi ,

Portugal , in french PORT DU GRAL
gate to the graal , .........

it was founded because some people put the French brotherhood of the temple out off there country , ...........

the biggest thing they did was to "make" Brazil , .........

have a nice day
Old May 26, 2002, 20:48   #171
Spiffor

Sorry, but I'll be the French teacher Panag
In French, Portugal is called Portugal today. It's the first time I hear about the Porte/port du Graal, but I believe you the country was so called, several centuries ago. BTW, Gate is "Porte", "Port" means harbor.
Old May 26, 2002, 22:00   #172
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Sorry, but I'll be the French teacher Panag
In French, Portugal is called Portugal today. It's the first time I hear about the Porte/port du Graal, but I believe you the country was so called, several centuries ago. BTW, Gate is "Porte", "Port" means harbor.
hi ,

merci .

French happens to be my second language , ..........
as for the name , if you want further info , .....maybe a thread on Portugal .......? the original name on the documents show PORT , if that is just an other mystery or not , .....
maybe in the translation it should be harbor in the place of door , ..to many ways for the translation , .......

topic ; still there are a lot of people who feel that Portugal should be included , .............

have a nice day