Old May 20, 2002, 19:41   #1
zulu9812
King

Local Time: 00:59
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Are people expecting too much?`
Just a thought - we've got people banging on about scenarios with flat maps, adding new eras, revamped editors. So far, all that's been confirmed are a scenario editor (although how that will work out is questionable), new civs, some new worker build actions, multiplayer and...? Perhaps we'll get more solid info closer to release. I definately want to know more about the scenario editor before I buy!
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Last edited by zulu9812; May 22, 2002 at 19:31.
Old May 20, 2002, 19:53   #2
Jethro83
Prince

Local Time: 10:59
Some people are expecting too much, some people aren't, and some even refuse to buy the XP because they think that it was features that should've been included in the original release (you people know who you are, so feel free NOT to share that with us).

Personally, I'm not going to make too many expectations. That way, it will be easier to get over it if the XP is a crock, and I'll be all the more happy if it turns Civ III into the masterpiece it should've been.

But I'll definitely want to know what I'm buying, so I'll read reviews and stuff like that at the time of release before I actually go out and buy.
Old May 20, 2002, 20:43   #3
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 02:59
Depends. I often thinks people expect too much, and this will lead to much whining as PtW won't ever match the astronomical expectations of some (as Civ3 didn't match the expectations of many, hence the whining)
But I love taking part of the speculation from the tyniest bit of info, simply because it's fun. But all my wishes and stupid speculations sure aren't my expecations, which are rpetty reasonable :
- a scenario editor, ala Civ2, without any scripting language (that will be for the second expansion)
- I'm not sure if the graphic sets will come with according scenarios, and I don't mind : the fans will soon have done better scenarios with these than the Firaxians anyways.
- A working MP (I'm not an MP fan, so I'm not that enthusiastic)
- Now that I've seen the screenshots, a slightly enhanced interface, nothing astounding.
- 8 new Civs, maybe with a new Civ-trait or two. That would be great, but the probabilities for it are under 20% IMO.
- Some changes made to diplomacy in order to adapt the diplomacy model to MP. Weak probability they add an information screen to know something about a rival without disturbing him.

Anyhow, if the XP holds only its promises without any extra, I think it will be worth $30(well, 35 €).
Old May 21, 2002, 03:29   #4
zulu9812
King

Local Time: 00:59
Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
- a scenario editor, ala Civ2, without any scripting language (that will be for the second expansion)
Ah! The second cash-in!
I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up
Old May 21, 2002, 03:48   #5
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 19:59
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Personally, I don't have a great expectation for the XP. I just want what is advertised, the 8 new civs (yes I know I could add my own if I got off my lazy ass) radar, airbases, MP (though I won't play much). If the scenario editor/creator is great ( which I hope) then that is just cake, to me. Course, I am happy with the game, which means that unless they screw up the game, I will be ok with it.
Old May 21, 2002, 04:03   #6
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 18:59
atw has captured my sentiment.

I'd go further and fervently hope that people not get their hopes too high. I don't wanna be around here when they are dashed. It aint never going to be SMAC at 4000bc, sorry. Civ is NOT, and never will be SMAC.
Old May 21, 2002, 05:36   #7
Jethro83
Prince

Local Time: 10:59
Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
I'd go further and fervently hope that people not get their hopes too high. I don't wanna be around here when they are dashed. It aint never going to be SMAC at 4000bc, sorry. Civ is NOT, and never will be SMAC.
Here here.

We've already had more than our fill of the whiners and their useless ranting over the original game itself.
Old May 21, 2002, 13:42   #8
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 17:59
Are we expecting to much? No, if the last six months of these forum proves anything it's that we have an ability to accept to little...
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old May 21, 2002, 13:51   #9
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 20:59
I'm with ATW and NYE. I want my scenario editor, MP, and a few tweaks. As long as those are included I'll be happy. Anything extra will be icing on the cake.
Old May 21, 2002, 14:46   #10
ChaotikVisions
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

Heh, of course they are, where would the whiners go once PTW comes out if they wern't expecting too much? But seriously, i'm just waiting for it to come out so I can try it like I did with Civ3. Its fine to want something in a game thats coming out, its a different thing to expect it in a game thats coming out.
Old May 21, 2002, 18:26   #11
TechWins
King

Local Time: 17:59
Expecting what has been advertised is not too high of an expectation. Expecting a 'real' scenario editor (i.e. including flat maps) is not too high of an expectation, either, because a scenario editor has been advertised as part of the produt.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old May 21, 2002, 18:55   #12
Captain
King

I know I am.
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
Old May 22, 2002, 09:28   #13
Mikel
Warlord

Local Time: 01:59
"MOO !!!!!" said the cash cow.
Troll "Thats the thing with randomness, you can never be sure."
Old May 22, 2002, 12:28   #14
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 20:59
"Moo" said the company that had to cover the costs of a highly paid team to work on another game for an extra year and a half...