Old May 21, 2002, 17:52   #31
Norm
Settler

Local Time: 01:00
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Always those pesky americans not playing by the rules ;-]

...what's that thing in the third picture anyway?
Old May 21, 2002, 18:02   #32
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 03:00
Quote:
Originally posted by Norm
Always those pesky americans not playing by the rules ;-]

...what's that thing in the third picture anyway?
hi ,

look for the thread ; "first screenshots" , there are large pics , ...

have a nice day

as for the yanks , yeah true !
Old May 21, 2002, 19:11   #33
godinex
Prince

Local Time: 19:00
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The Carthagianian or awarever spell it doesn`t exist, they are a custom civ, look at the Tipo are smaller than the Greeks and the Random one.
And about the era is clear there are scenarios made by the editor, how can You have medieval units wiith only 2 cities?
Old May 21, 2002, 19:47   #34
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 21:00
Quote:
Originally posted by Norm
Desert: Little to no precipitation
Snow is precipitation
Desert with snow doesn't make much sense

Just a late night logical conclusion...
des·ert1 Pronunciation Key (dzrt)
n.

1) A barren or desolate area, especially:
A dry, often sandy region of little rainfall, extreme temperatures, and sparse vegetation.

2) A region of permanent cold that is largely or entirely devoid of life.

3) An apparently lifeless area of water.

4) An empty or forsaken place; a wasteland: a cultural desert.

5) Archaic. A wild, uncultivated, and uninhabited region.

courtesy dictionary.com

Rainfall my friend, rainfall. Not precipitation.
Old May 21, 2002, 21:34   #35
Thrawn05
King

Local Time: 20:00
More horse UU?!?!

My opinion of this XP has now dropped a little.
Old May 22, 2002, 07:09   #36
lindberg-johan
Settler

Local Time: 02:00
City names
Why can't they spell our Nordic city names in our language?
Copenhagen is called København in Danish.
I suppose that Göteborg will be called Gothenburg as well.
I remember in Civ II, that the Viking leader was called Canute. It took me some years before I understood that they meant Knut.

What if someone made a Swedish game where they called New York "Nya Jorvik"? OK, this is not the Swedish name for New York, but Vikings founded the city of Jorvik in England, that became York...
And in a French game, would you like your biggest city to bear the name "Noveau York", the name that the French people use?

Sid's spelling of French city names could also be improved. The German names as well...

Ah, jolly well, it is just a game.

Does anyone know which civs are included in the upgrade more than Mongols, Spaniards and Vikings?
Old May 22, 2002, 08:37   #37
Stuie
King

Re: City names
Quote:
Originally posted by lindberg-johan
Does anyone know which civs are included in the upgrade more than Mongols, Spaniards and Vikings?
Carthaginians definitely.
Most likely Koreans, Celts.
And two as yet to be discovered.
Old May 22, 2002, 15:41   #38
bigfree1

Quote:
Originally posted by Jasonc

In general, I am really impressed with Firaxis. I have NEVER seen a game get so much support after being published. They are constantly tweeking the game and adding new features. Great job guys!
That's because they released the game UNFINISHED to begin with! What they're doing now was what they had originally promised but decided to release early so they could get some 'beta' testing done and then later charge for an expansion pack.

This game has been a 'work-in-progress' since it's release; don't be so surprised by what's going on.

Old May 22, 2002, 16:07   #39
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by bigfree1

That's because they released the game UNFINISHED to begin with! What they're doing now was what they had originally promised but decided to release early so they could get some 'beta' testing done and then later charge for an expansion pack.

This game has been a 'work-in-progress' since it's release; don't be so surprised by what's going on.
hi,

the main reason for the early release had many reason's , the biggest one ; people on apolyton asking for its early release , ......

have a nice day
Old May 22, 2002, 17:56   #40
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Lindberg-Johan :
The French say "New York" like anyone else in the world, even if we refer the origins of the city as "La Nouvelle-Amsterdam" rather than the original Dutch name. "London" is said "Londres" in French, and it's sure the French translation of the names would change the Brit capital to "Londres", as "Kopenhavn" would become "Copenhague",,"Moskva" would become "Moscou", or "Guanhzhou" would become "Canton".
This is an english speaking game, so the names in should be English as well. You can edit the names in the editor if you want though. Most probably, Göteborg will be called Goteborg, I think that's the English spelling.

EDIT : (Now, typos in English are unpardonable for us non-English speakers. Until recently, and since I was 10, I was sure Lyon and Marseille had an "s" in their English spelling)
Old May 22, 2002, 17:58   #41
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

Quote:

It costs money to work on a game. It's incredibly nice of Firaxis to release so many patches and improve upon the game so much for free. How do you expect the company to pay its employees, who, chances are, make quite a bit as it is? They've spent an extra year and a half after release date working on the game, and someone has to pay for that. If you're so sour towards the way the capitalist society works, then just don't bother buying the XP.
Old May 22, 2002, 17:58   #42
Jasonc
Settler

Quote:

The game seemed to me to be very Playable from Day 1. I never had a game crash on me or anything that prevented me from enjoying the game. Tweeks to gameplay and additions of features to cut down on MM have only improved what was IMO a great game.

As for the multi-player not being included in release, I say WHO CARES!!! Civilization has always been a single player game, by nature. Many people have called it one of the greatest games ever. As a single player game! To add multi-player, and do it right, it very worthy of an XP. If they do it right, it could make an already dangerously addictive game down right scary. But, I don't think it's necessary for the game to be considered 'complete'.
Old May 22, 2002, 18:37   #43
Ethelred
King

Local Time: 17:00
Infogrames now has an official page on the XP for E3.

Civilization 3: Play the World™
Old May 22, 2002, 18:47   #44
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ethelred
Infogrames now has an official page on the XP for E3.

Civilization 3: Play the World™
hi ,

its not official , it was just for the press , it was not made for game-players , ......also we where the first to report it , ....more info and the pics in thread ; "first screenshots , Vikings , ....etc"

have a nice day / night
Old May 23, 2002, 00:41   #45
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Morris also demonstrated some of the new structures featured in the expansion. The new outpost structure can be built outside of city boundaries in order to dispel the fog of war for a certain distance that varies according to the surrounding terrain and elevation of the outpost. The new airfield structure expands air operations beyond what is possible through cities alone, and the new radar tower adds a combat bonus to units within range.

The expansion will also include stacked unit movement for both land- and sea-based units, making it easier for players to keep units with different movement speeds together during journeys across the map. It will also add a new autobombard command that lets players order units to repeatedly bombard a specific target, and an improved cycle feature that gives players more options when searching for units or cities. For instance, players can cycle through specific types of units, or easily find the cities that are currently in civil disorder.

In addition to the new civilizations and gameplay features, Play the World will include new unit sets for use in the editor. The new sets include a medieval Japan set and a World War II set, and they will feature 17 units each. The developer is considering additional sets, such as a dinosaur-themed set. The expansion will also have new winter and European terrain sets. To make it easier for players to create fair maps, the editor will include a balanced start option that makes sure all sides have equal access to resources.

To support the game's mod community, Play the World will add a modification manager to Civilization III that lets players easily add and remove custom content. The manager will have a preview mode that lets players see exactly what effects a mod will have before they use it.

For the multiplayer mode, the developers wanted to support the players that enjoyed the Civilization games' previous multiplayer modes and the marathon gaming sessions that often resulted. To this end, Play the World includes turn-based, simultaneous, play-by-e-mail, and hotseat modes. To also appeal to Civilization players unwilling to take part in extended multiplayer matches, Firaxis is adding a new "turnless" multiplayer mode along with short game types such as regicide, elimination, and capture-the-flag. The turnless mode results in a much faster game by eliminating the A.I. phase and setting a very short time limit on turns, which can dynamically extend itself as the game's complexity increases with additional cities and units. According to Morris, the turnless mode gets as close to a real-time system as a turn-based game can get.

The above is from Gamespot. It is nice to have some more details on the XP.
Old May 23, 2002, 04:13   #46
Harlan
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Talk about getting one's facts completely wrong. The Infogames page confirms that the Carthaginians are in by mentioning King Hannibal. But King? He was never the ruler of the Carthaginian in any form - he was a general. Duh! I can understand having him as leader of the Carthaginians, since he's the only Carthaginian most anyone has ever heard of. But why not call him General?

Combined with apparently fictional Bressus of the Celts (his name at least meaning "leader" and not a proper name), the XP isn't doing too hot on historical accuracy. If anyone's ever heard of anyone Celt, I would think it would be Vercingetorix, who led a good resistance against Caesar for a while. I wonder why they don't use him.
Old May 23, 2002, 05:27   #47
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 02:00
That would involve doing a modicum of research. I admire Firaxis for many things but when it comes to historical accuracy they seem to follow the Hollywood attitude that it isn't important.
Old May 23, 2002, 19:39   #48
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

It's very possible Vercingetorix was also a mythical figure, invented by Caesar to gain more credit for the invasion of Gaul (look ! I defeated someone who could stand against me, and not just a bunch of disorganized tribes !).
I think the best leaders the Celts could have would be Boadicae, like in Civ2. Anyways, I'll probably change Brennus into Vercingetorix (it's sure Brennus is fictional), and I'll probably change Hanibal's title into "General". After all, the editor allows this very well.
Old May 24, 2002, 10:55   #49
XarXo
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Gramphos
What have they done with the buttons next to the info box?

And more important what do you think the buttons over the infobox is doing?
Usually in actual MP games the first column is for start alliance teams, this is useful for avoid traitors.

About the no show-list button, probably this is because the host (as usual) can't select which tribe will play each player.
Old May 24, 2002, 16:09   #50
Jon Shafer

Quote:
Originally posted by Harlan
Talk about getting one's facts completely wrong. The Infogames page confirms that the Carthaginians are in by mentioning King Hannibal. But King? He was never the ruler of the Carthaginian in any form - he was a general. Duh! I can understand having him as leader of the Carthaginians, since he's the only Carthaginian most anyone has ever heard of. But why not call him General?

Combined with apparently fictional Bressus of the Celts (his name at least meaning "leader" and not a proper name), the XP isn't doing too hot on historical accuracy. If anyone's ever heard of anyone Celt, I would think it would be Vercingetorix, who led a good resistance against Caesar for a while. I wonder why they don't use him.
It's like making Joan of Arc leader of the French. She was never even close to being the leader, she was put to death by them.
Old May 24, 2002, 20:42   #51
Thrawn05
King

Local Time: 20:00
Quote:

The first thing I'm going to do, is change the name from Bressus to St. Patrick... since it sounds better.
Old May 25, 2002, 00:29   #52
Harlan
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

That Joan of Arc thing is annoying, too. Especially as you have people like Napoleon to choose from. By the same logic, why not choose Elvis as the leader for the Americans? He's probably much better known than Lincoln. And he is known as the King...

Call me crazy, but why not limit your choice of leaders to people who actually really were heads of those countries/civs?
Old May 25, 2002, 01:33   #53
Jon Shafer

Quote:
That Joan of Arc thing is annoying, too. Especially as you have people like Napoleon to choose from. By the same logic, why not choose Elvis as the leader for the Americans? He's probably much better known than Lincoln. And he is known as the King...

Quote:
Call me crazy, but why not limit your choice of leaders to people who actually really were heads of those countries/civs?
Good idea, I like that. However, Firaxis has proven its dependency upon marketing through cultural fame and politically correctness... I'm willing to bet 9 out of 10 people would have chosen Napoleon as the leader for the French any day, and that 10th person would have chosen Napoleon on 6 days out of 7 (and the 7th he was drunk, no less ). But, we need some female leaders, even if 99 out of 100 leaders historically have been male. Oh well.
Old May 28, 2002, 14:01   #54
Imp. Montezuma
Warlord

Local Time: 05:00
And Indira Gandhi for India is better woman leader...
Old May 28, 2002, 17:33   #55
Jon Shafer

Personally, I don't care if Civilization has woman leaders in it. I don't believe affirmative action ought to be carried over to the TBS genre of computer games... If a woman was the most important leader of a country, then yes, include her. Elizabeth is a good example. Or Isabella. But don't just throw women in just to balance things out...
Old May 29, 2002, 09:10   #56
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Imp. Montezuma
And Indira Gandhi for India is better woman leader...
hi ,

play around with the editor , ......

have a nice day
Old May 29, 2002, 14:57   #57
Miznia
Warlord

Quote:
play around with the editor , ......
Yeah, especially since the Gandhi head looks so much like Indira.
Old June 1, 2002, 19:59   #58
Kingof the Apes
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

France either should have Napoleon or Luois the XIV. Joan of Arc should be a GL.
The Mongols and Spanish are back, yippee!
Old June 7, 2002, 12:21   #59
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

I loved Nappie in good, old days! Other when he went to war on me, and guess what, he often did...

When it comes to leaders of the civs, then I want the ones with big historical impact, and not some malplaced political correct lady. No offence.
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old June 7, 2002, 12:45   #60
Jon Shafer

I think we all agree on that issue, as I thought. The problem is that they want to balance out male and female leaders (even if 99% of leaders have been male), and Joan was one of the few convenient ones to include.