View Poll Results: What do you think the remaining two civs will be?
Turks/Ottomans 45 19.15%
Arabs 38 16.17%
Jews/Israelis 17 7.23%
Ethiopians 16 6.81%
Mali 8 3.40%
Austrians 6 2.55%
Polish 8 3.40%
Dutch 9 3.83%
Incas 60 25.53%
Mayas 11 4.68%
Canadians 9 3.83%
Other 8 3.40%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 21, 2002, 08:38   #1
sgrig
Warlord

Local Time: 01:02
Local Date: November 1, 2010
What will the remaining 2 unknown civs be?
It is now as good as proven that six of the eight new civs will be:

Spanish
Vikings
Mongols
Koreans (evidence- special unit Hwacha)
Celts (evidence- leader name Brennus)
Carthagenians (evidence - entry on MP screen).

What do you think the other two civs are going to be?
Old May 21, 2002, 10:17   #2
Deathwalker
Prince

I wish they would make the Huns a playable nation. I always wanted to lay as the huns but there always put in as barbarions
Old May 21, 2002, 10:30   #3
jugurtti
Settler

Local Time: 03:02
I've always been annoyed because of having all english, french and germans, whose difference i really in real history can't tell and which i see belonging to the same civilization. I can't see much point adding dutch of spanish.

Carthagenians (counterweighting the greco-romanic culture), or jews (maybe not a historial superpower, but as an example of really strange history) would bring more balance to the historial picture. Same goes with ethiopia and mongols.
Old May 21, 2002, 10:51   #4
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Well...I don't see any room for the Dutch or any more European country, and I couldn't care less about Arabs or those countries nearby. Then there's only Canadians, Mayas and Incas to choose from, but I'm not that much for adding Canada, and the Mayas and Incas are much a like, so I can't choose both, so I choose Mayas and one not on the list: Australia
Old May 21, 2002, 11:16   #5
Master Marcus
Prince

Local Time: 20:02
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Why not the Québécois??? just a joke ( unless we're putting 200 civs in that game ).
Old May 21, 2002, 11:47   #6
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 04:02
I do not yet think that the Koreans are proved, but it's likely. I want the Hebrews, and probably Mayans.
Old May 21, 2002, 11:50   #7
Andrew_Jay
Prince

Local Time: 21:32
So the Koreans are more or less official? I've seen the civlopaedia picture, but brought up in another thread that it might be from the Japanese unit set for scenario building. But someone has verrified the 'rocket wagon'/Hwacha as being a UU? Just wondering.

I doubt Canada will be in, even if I am Canadian The Iriqouis are already on Canadian territory anyway.

About the Hebrew and Arab civs, I doubt they could get away with putting in one and not the other. So if there are two spots left, perhaps they fill them. However, I heard in another thread that 7 of the 8 had been verrified, though I cannot remember what was said to back this up.
Old May 21, 2002, 12:14   #8
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 19:02
My prediction: arabs and incans

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal

Last edited by civman2000; May 21, 2002 at 13:04.
Old May 21, 2002, 12:54   #9
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

This thread has a very short lifespan, as we'll know it in the next 3 days

But I'd say turks and Incans :
- Turks almost made it in the Original Civ1, the Arabs never.
- Mayan have no room to expand on a world map, and we need another American Civ. Granted, it's not an important factor anymore, as we now have the Celts, the Spanish and the Vikins in Europe, which adds even more Civs on a continent crowded with Rome, Greece, France, Germany and Russia
Old May 21, 2002, 13:24   #10
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 21:02
Incans and Israelis are my guess.
Old May 21, 2002, 13:35   #11
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 18:02
I'm hoping for the Ethiopians and Inca but I honestly think the Turks will beat out the Ethiopians.
Old May 21, 2002, 14:07   #12
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

*IF* the Koreans are indeed in, then that means there are still no middle-eastern or american civs in the XP. Thus, the last two spots *WILL * each be claimed by those two cultural groups, respectively.
I think Inca are almost a shoe-in, not quite a total shoe-in since Firaxis could conceivably go with the Maya or Sioux. The Middle-East is much tougher to predict. At this juncture, I would guess the Arabs. But if the Koreans exist only in the Japanese scenario, then the Isrealites will be in to.
So in short, I say it will be the Inca and Arabs or Inca, Arabs, and Isrealites. Just remember you heard it here first. :P
Old May 21, 2002, 14:42   #13
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

I'm not convinced of the Korean Civ being in the game either. The picture could very well be from the Feudal Japan set-up. I'd like to see just a bit more evidence before I make a judgement on it.
Old May 21, 2002, 14:49   #14
ChaotikVisions
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

I voted on Turks and Incans, seems the best bet to me. Fits the regions and gives a bit more variety to things.
Old May 21, 2002, 15:30   #15
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by jugurtti
I've always been annoyed because of having all english, french and germans, whose difference i really in real history can't tell and which i see belonging to the same civilization.

well ... we kinda feel the same about the Finns, Swedes and Danes ...

*shrugs* ahh ... there is so much we are both missing out on ...

c'est la vie.

ON-TOPIC: I'd love to see the Canadians in the game ... it'd just be funny.

seriously though, the Turks would be cool and it makes sense to include them. I'd also like to see the Ethiopians. I wouldn't mind either Incans or Mayans, but I'd rather have the other two.
Old May 21, 2002, 16:15   #16
JtheJackal
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by jugurtti
I've always been annoyed because of having all english, french and germans, whose difference i really in real history can't tell and which i see belonging to the same civilization. I can't see much point adding dutch of spanish.
What history book do you read?
Old May 21, 2002, 16:17   #17
Chieftess
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Chieftess

I would say the Incas (or Mayas) - there'd better be an ability to build on the mountains! ... There needs to be a SA civ. I don't know who the 2nd might be (Turks?).

I also picked Polish, being part Polish myself, and Germany and Italy are already in there...
Old May 21, 2002, 16:18   #18
JtheJackal
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by History Guy
I'm not convinced of the Korean Civ being in the game either. The picture could very well be from the Feudal Japan set-up. I'd like to see just a bit more evidence before I make a judgement on it.
That unit was used in Korea. The Koreans had thier tiny limelight in history centuries ago. Its a perfectly reasonable civ to have.
Old May 21, 2002, 16:19   #19
Chieftess
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Chieftess

Quote:
Originally posted by History Guy
Can't be. The name doesn't sound Japanese, and besides I don't think they used gunpowder much in wars - only to start it (based on a Kurosawa movie I saw).
Old May 21, 2002, 16:25   #20
Stuie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
I'm hoping for the Ethiopians and Inca but I honestly think the Turks will beat out the Ethiopians.
I'm really hoping to see the Ethiopians included, but I share your doubts. Too bad, really. Most Americans seem to only know Ethiopia for the famines of the mid-70s.

If the Turks are included, they'll be right up there with the Iroquois (apologies to Ribannah) on my "don't really care" list.
Old May 21, 2002, 17:22   #21
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Frankly, I think it would be more likely that Turks would be grouped under the Arab umbrella, than vise-versa.
I would like to see the Ethiopians too though.
Old May 21, 2002, 17:25   #22
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

Incans, Turks, Arabs or Israelis. If it's anything other than that, I'll eat this Coke can.

And including the Canadians or Australians would be... umm, half hilarous and half idiodic. No offense to either Canadians or Australians, but they're basically just English/British. Though I can see people complaining about including America then, but American culture is far different from British, and really have built a civilization of their own. Hell, Canada and Australia are still part of the British Commonwealth.
Old May 21, 2002, 17:36   #23
Andrew_Jay
Prince

Local Time: 21:32
No problem Trip about Canada not belonging as a civ, especially since they are trying to pick a fairly small number of good civs. If there were 30-40 or 50 I'd want Canada in it. Besides, I'd be embarassed if Canada was included, since there would be a great deal of outrage on these forums
Old May 21, 2002, 18:12   #24
Master Marcus
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
Incans, Turks, Arabs or Israelis. If it's anything other than that, I'll eat this Coke can.

And including the Canadians or Australians would be... umm, half hilarous and half idiodic. No offense to either Canadians or Australians, but they're basically just English/British. Though I can see people complaining about including America then, but American culture is far different from British, and really have built a civilization of their own. Hell, Canada and Australia are still part of the British Commonwealth.
Just English/British??? British Commonwealth?! almost as prehistoric as monarchy. We live in North America for Christ sakes. You don't travel much, do you??? The world is bigger than you think.

Oh, but no offense taken : the ONLY part of your statements that shows some sense is when you say hilarious...of course within a 24-civs game. Bien sûr que le Canada n'est pas une civilisation, c'est un amalgame de plusieurs peuples dont la richesse est en partie dépendante de son puissant voisin du sud.
Old May 21, 2002, 19:00   #25
Spiffor

On the main page at CivFanatics, Thunderfall says :
"The other two Civs are probably the Turks and the Mayas/Incas"
Sure, he probably joins the pseculation, but I think His Words Are Backed With some facts or direct info from Firaxis.
We'll see in the next 3 days (E3)
Old May 21, 2002, 19:13   #26
Yurt
Warlord

Local Time: 17:02
The Ethiopians would be a good choice, but if you were playing on a world map, you would start in a not-so-habitable place.

I would like to see Canada or Australia in the game on one level, but on another it doesn't really make sense to have a 130 year old civ (Canada) competing with civs that died out 2000 years ago. Canada would be a necessity in a world war 2 scenario though. I usually imagine that the Iroquois are Canada, since they start in more or less the right area and, if the Americans are in the game, usually end up with about the same borders.

I doubt we'll see Turkey, because that would make the middle east potentially way too crowded (well it is, but it doesn't work in the game). With Greece, Egypt, Babylon and Persia surrounding it, I think Turkey is better off as a place for these civs to fight over. Also, it would be another situation where the civ would have a bad starting location.

I think that the Incas are a must, simply because South America is otherwise empty and the Incas did have an important role in history. This is another situation of a bad starting location though.

I doubt Israel will be included. It is just over 50 years old. The Jews would be a more likely possibility, but they weren't a typical civilization, with cities and borders and such. Plus I'm sure Firaxis doesn't want to get involved with any controversies.

I also don't think the Koreans should be included. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Korea has always been a small nation, and its only historical conflicts were with China and Japan. Obviously it should be in the Japan scenario, but not in the standard game.

As you can probably tell, I play on the world map (Satya's) a lot, so I'm not a fan of really close starting locations. I like the Celts, though, because it adds a different kind of culture to Europe instead of the typical industrial civs like England, France and Germany.
Old May 21, 2002, 19:15   #27
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 02:02
I'd like to see the Polish and the Austrians for some sim-EU. But if thunderfall says Turks and Incas, that's probably it.
Old May 21, 2002, 19:41   #28
Jon Shafer

Quote:
Originally posted by Master Marcus
Just English/British??? British Commonwealth?! almost as prehistoric as monarchy. We live in North America for Christ sakes. You don't travel much, do you??? The world is bigger than you think.
I didn't say just English/British, I said basically. I thought Canada was on the moon... No need to hint at flaming. Take things as they come. I'm willing to hear the argument about how the Americans maybe should not be included, the least you could do is the same.

Quote:
Oh, but no offense taken : the ONLY part of your statements that shows some sense is when you say hilarious...of course within a 24-civs game. Bien sûr que le Canada n'est pas une civilisation, c'est un amalgame de plusieurs peuples dont la richesse est en partie dépendante de son puissant voisin du sud.
No, I meant if the game with 1000 civs... I'd include Liechtenstein before Canada...

If Canada is such a mix of cultures, then why are people arguing that it is its own culture? True, it may be different from anywhere else in the world, but it's not as unique a culture as, say, China. Even if it was, it hasn't accomplished much outside of the fame of Britain.
Old May 21, 2002, 21:23   #29
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Has anyone seen anything official?

I haven't voted yet, still thinking about it. I don't think there are any guarantees that American (North/Central/South) or Middle Eastern/African will be in it. It will be interesting to see if Celt and Korea are in it. I have read the evidence (on both sides) and it could be interpreted either way. Making Brennus leader of the Celt/Viking group, Hwacha Japanese or Chinese, or even just a unit buildable by anyone to add additional artillery to the game.

I have no preference.
Old May 21, 2002, 21:40   #30
Spiffor

Well, if Firaxis tells that Brennus is the leader of the Vikings, it will be utterly stupid. They made some mistakes in a pure historical point of view, but I haven't seen such nonsenses so far... Like saying Caesar is the leader of the Russians.
In the hypothesis that this utter stupidity happens, I'll edit Brennus' name right away, to make something like "Erik the Red" or whatever known Viking leader name. I don't have problems with this : I don't know either Brennus' nor Erik's faces. Much easier to change their names than renamin Joan into Napoleon