View Poll Results: What do you think the remaining two civs will be?
Turks/Ottomans 45 19.15%
Arabs 38 16.17%
Jews/Israelis 17 7.23%
Ethiopians 16 6.81%
Mali 8 3.40%
Austrians 6 2.55%
Polish 8 3.40%
Dutch 9 3.83%
Incas 60 25.53%
Mayas 11 4.68%
Canadians 9 3.83%
Other 8 3.40%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 21, 2002, 21:45   #31
Master Marcus
Prince

Local Time: 20:02
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
I didn't say just English/British, I said basically. I thought Canada was on the moon... No need to hint at flaming. Take things as they come. I'm willing to hear the argument about how the Americans maybe should not be included, the least you could do is the same.
If Canada is such a mix of cultures, then why are people arguing that it is its own culture?
If you're listening to those kind of people arguing about the distinct and unique canadian culture, or on the other side those relying only on its british culture wich YOU think is the essence of it, then you only see one side of the medal. Les voyages forment la jeunesse. End of debate.

I admire the Americans, if you want to know, they're the modern Roman Empire. Even with only a 4-civs game, they should be there.
Old May 21, 2002, 21:46   #32
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 21:02
Bah... Down with Joan!

Brennus was one of the leaders of the Celts... that means the Celts will be included. Firaxis might not have pHds in history, but it doesn't mean they don't do their homework...
Old May 22, 2002, 08:10   #33
sgrig
Warlord

Local Time: 01:02
Local Date: November 1, 2010
In order for there to be a balance between different cultural groups, one of the remaining civs has to be a Middle-Eastern civ, and one of them an American civ (because currently we have Celts, Vikings - European; Carthagenians, Spanish - Mediterranean (probably); Mongols, Koreans - Asian).

So most likely the middle eastern civ will either be Arabs or Turks. I would prefer Arabs, but I doubt they will be in for political reasons.

So that leaves an American civ. The only possible contenders are Mayas, Incas and Canadians. Mayas are to close to the Aztecs on the world map, so I doubt they'll be in. Hence, this leaves Incas or Canadians. I would prefer to see Canadians, because Incas would probably end up as a very similar civ to Aztecs with an ancient weird-looking UU. Canadians on the hand could have a modern or an industrial UU. So far only Germans and Americans have more or less modern UUs, so I think at least one of the new civs should have an industrial or modern age UU.

It would be extremely funny watching Canada take over the world!

Also, Incas would probably be one of those civs with impossibly long and incomprehensible city names...

I respect the Inca civilization, but I think having Aztecs AND Incas in one game is too much.

It is however possible that Firaxis will include another African civ, which would be good, because I don't think Zulu civilization is a good representative of Africa...
Old May 22, 2002, 12:39   #34
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

Quote:
Originally posted by Master Marcus
If you're listening to those kind of people arguing about the distinct and unique canadian culture, or on the other side those relying only on its british culture wich YOU think is the essence of it, then you only see one side of the medal. Les voyages forment la jeunesse. End of debate.

I admire the Americans, if you want to know, they're the modern Roman Empire. Even with only a 4-civs game, they should be there.
I KNOW THE FRENCH WERE TO CANADA FIRST!!! (And don't go on about how I say all Canadians are French either ) Geeze people, you make me out to be some idiot. All I'm saying is that in a game with 24 great civilizations of the world, Canada is not distinct nor impactful enough to make the list. I'm not arguing that Canada is just a clone of Britain. I knew I shouldn't have said anything cause all the Canadians would jump on me.
Old May 22, 2002, 13:45   #35
Wernazuma III
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 03:02
I completely agree with Oerdin. I'd like to see Incans and Ethiopians in, but probably it will be the Turks or Arabs instead of Ethiopians.
I'm still kind of disappointed that the Celts are in, just another uncivilized civilization...
Old May 22, 2002, 18:40   #36
Darkworld Ark
Warlord

I voted for the Incas & Arabs/Turks, because they're probaly be the chosen civs. As for the Canada, seriously, what would there UU be, a moose?
Old May 22, 2002, 19:38   #37
Andrew_Jay
Prince

Local Time: 21:32
It was talked about having a peacekeeper or a mountie as a Canadian UU . . . in the forums that is, not by anyone of any importance
Old May 22, 2002, 20:22   #38
Mikhail
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:02
Incas and Turks. Firaxis is so predictible.

Israel won't since most of the world opposes the very fact that the country exists (and, as someone else said, it's really too young. Hebrews are an ethnic group, but not really a civilization. Or a Great civilization anyway)

Arabs....well....it's really too vague, IMO. And yes, it would be politically disaproved among the low-brow americans. (example: load up AOEII, enter a room, and choose 'Saracens' as your civ. Watch what name's you'll be called)

What it SHOULD be:

Byzantium and Turks (inca and maya are nice, but neither one of the civilizations are more important than these two) which also sets up for a Crusades scenario quite nicely.
Old May 22, 2002, 20:29   #39
ScreamingViking
Chieftain

Local Time: 18:02
Canada has a 130 year history as it's own nation, but theoretically is an older civilization than America. The first colonies on Canadian territory were founded in the early 1500's by Frenchmen (Jacques Cartier); the first American colonies came a hundred years later...
Old May 22, 2002, 20:47   #40
Master Marcus
Prince

A modern mountie can be an interesting canadian UU, but frankly not as a real military unit amidst tanks......perhaps as a special police force within cities.

You're right about Cartier's voyage, but more precisely in 1534-35. Quebec ( the actual Québec city ) was officially founded only in 1608, still one of the very firsts european towns in North America.
Old May 22, 2002, 20:49   #41
Jon Shafer

The Lemba tribe of Africa is older than all of Europe, does that mean they should be in the game?
Old May 23, 2002, 09:31   #42
KaiserIsak
Warlord

The arabs should be in. Their empire were one of the greatest ever. Bagdad were the cultural and scientific center of the world for centuries. While Europe was in the dark age the arabs flourished. They should definatly be in.
The ottoman turks were the most powerful empire in the world for about 100 years, and were a mayor power for about 500. If they call the civ only the turks, the timurids, the selsjuks and the mameluks would be included in the turks as welll, and the civ is then a 1000 year mayor power.
Old May 23, 2002, 22:32   #43
Signa
Warlord

Arabs and Incans=> They were in the city names lists for Civ2.
Old May 23, 2002, 23:29   #44
JtheJackal
Warlord

You have to consider that you can't repeat same civs that just have a different name. Like you wouldn't have the Indus and the indians civs. So wouldn't in a way the Babylonians and Persians be the ancient versions of the arabs?
Old May 23, 2002, 23:41   #45
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

What's all this Canada stuff aboot? If we allowed ourselves to be depicted in a game like Civ, it might blow our cover. Therefore it is unlikely to happen.

BTW I voted Mali and Maya. Mmmm M&Ms... Could be the Inca though.
Old May 23, 2002, 23:51   #46
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by JtheJackal
You have to consider that you can't repeat same civs that just have a different name. Like you wouldn't have the Indus and the indians civs. So wouldn't in a way the Babylonians and Persians be the ancient versions of the arabs?
Good thought, but wouldn't the Romans be the ancient version of the Spanish? The Vikings the ancient version of the Germans? Arguable? You bet. So would Babylon/Arab. Persia isn't even close since Perisans will strenuously object to being called Arabs.
Old May 24, 2002, 00:41   #47
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Good point Signa, The Arabs and Inca were in the Civ 2 text files. This gives them a historical precedent the other civs don't have. Plus I think it is much more likely the Turks will be grouped with the Arabs than vise-versa
Old May 24, 2002, 01:24   #48
m0lok0plus
Settler

http://pc.ign.com/articles/360/360642p1.html

spanish, mongols, gauls, ottomans, carthaginians, arabs...
Old May 24, 2002, 01:31   #49
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

According to the article:

Firaxis told us a bit about two of them, the Mongols and the Spanish.

Other new civilizations include the Gauls, the Carthaginians, the Ottomans and the Arabs. We don't have any more details on those yet, but we wouldn't be surprised if the new units include berserkers and a new kind of war elephant.
Old May 24, 2002, 02:31   #50
monkspider
King

God bless you Kring
that means
1. Mongols
2. Spanish
3. Carthage
4. Celts (Gaul)
5. Vikings
6. Ottomans (Turks)
7. Arabs
8. Inca presumably

This means Korea IS part of the feudal Japan scenario and that the two mystery civs are the Ottomans and Arabs.
This is highly unexpected.
Why not the Hebrews?
Why not the Koreans?

DAMN YOU FIRAXIS, DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!
Old May 24, 2002, 02:35   #51
Cesa
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:02
Quote:
Originally posted by kring
According to the article:

Firaxis told us a bit about two of them, the Mongols and the Spanish.

Other new civilizations include the Gauls, the Carthaginians, the Ottomans and the Arabs. We don't have any more details on those yet, but we wouldn't be surprised if the new units include berserkers and a new kind of war elephant.
What does this mean? Which are the 8 civs?

Vikings, Mongols, Spanish, Gauls, Carthaginians, Ottomans, Arabs and Celts. Is this correct? So we were wrong about the Koreans?

Edit: So Gaul=Celts? Sorry, I'm not very good at history, nor at english names for civilisations. So the 8th civ is either Inca or Korea? Or?
Old May 24, 2002, 02:36   #52
monkspider
King

Gauls are another name for Celts Cesa
Old May 24, 2002, 02:37   #53
monkspider
King

Let me take this moment to curse Firaxis for redundantly including both the Turks and Arabs.
DAMN YOU!!!! DAMN YOU FIRAXIS!!!!!!!

We will never stand for this!
Old May 24, 2002, 02:44   #54
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Quote:
Originally posted by monkspider
God bless you Kring
Thank you for the blessing request. I was only reposting what someone else posted in another thread, I have spread the word to CivFanatics, 1BC, and CGN as well though.
Old May 24, 2002, 03:52   #55
Mongoloid Cow
Warlord

Local Time: 10:32
From what I've gathered;

1) Mongols : Genghis Khan, UU:FOrgot name
2) Gauls : King Brennus
3) Koreans : UU:Hwacha
4) Ottoman Turks
5) Arabs (as well)
6) Spanish : Quueen Isabella, UU:Conquistador
7) Vikings : UU: Beserk
8) Carthage
Old May 24, 2002, 07:03   #56
sgrig
Warlord

I think Koreans are still in, because there is no sign that Incas will be in, and if Gauls are in, then definitely they won't have Celts as well.

So I agree with Mongoloid's list.
Old May 24, 2002, 08:57   #57
Deathwalker
Prince

Whats wronge with having both the Turks and Arabs. I like both of them and would play as both. There not the same thing. Like the French and Gaul
Old May 24, 2002, 11:18   #58
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Incans are most likely that last spot...I wonder why the vikings weren't mentioned in the report....

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old May 24, 2002, 12:14   #59
Miznia
Warlord

What's Miznia's opinion?
Happy with:
Koreans, Arabs, Spanish

Okay with:
Mongols, Vikings, Turks

Annoyed about:
Gauls, Carthaginians

We are sorely missing:
Incas and a sub-Saharan.

How can Gauls be a civ?! The only thing (I thought) I knew about them is that they were French precursors!
Old May 24, 2002, 12:25   #60
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

celts would be a better name to use imo. Althoough they're the same culture, gauls are generally ONLY associated with the tribe in france and not all of the celtic tribes

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal