Old May 21, 2002, 18:41   #1
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 02:05
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Moo3 for Mac first?!
Head's up, everyone. On the official Infogrames E3 page there say that Moo3 is to be released for the Mac in oct-02. No word 'bout the PC.

Has Infogrames commited yet another info blunder or are they serious?

Link:
http://www.us.infogrames.com/e3/index.php
Old May 21, 2002, 18:45   #2
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 03:05
another of what you said
MarkG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2002, 18:52   #3
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

They also have a few new downloadable screenshots. Seems much like what was posted here a couple of hour ago.
Old May 22, 2002, 10:52   #4
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Local Time: 20:05
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Gonegold still has 9/25 for the PC.

R:PM
Old May 22, 2002, 22:47   #5
picotrain
Settler

Local Time: 22:05
It looks to me like they will both be released simultaneously, according to Inforgrames' site, as it states "PC CD-ROM MAC". I could be wrong tough.
Old May 23, 2002, 08:45   #6
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by picotrain
It looks to me like they will both be released simultaneously, according to Inforgrames' site, as it states "PC CD-ROM MAC". I could be wrong tough.
Excellent plan infor, now execute!

Old May 23, 2002, 08:52   #7
moomin
King

Having both a Mac and a PC, I'd be delighted if it was all on one CD. Not that it matters - I'm well positioned to grab it whatever format it comes out on first!

(And just because I'm overconfident, they'll release it for the PS2, or something...)
Old May 24, 2002, 06:56   #8
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 01:05
They may very well choose to release it simultaneously for the Mac and PC ... perhaps even in the same box, like moomin said, which would be neat.

Blizzard are doing a simultaneous Mac/PC worldwide release for Warcraft III ... or so they claimed when I read that info a few weeks back.
Old May 24, 2002, 09:06   #9
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

From a business and logistics point of view, you cannot beat releasing both in the same box.

Old May 24, 2002, 09:17   #10
Xentax
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by RPMisCOOL
From a business and logistics point of view, you cannot beat releasing both in the same box.

Considering Infogrames is publishing the PC version, and MacSoft the Mac version, I doubt this'll happen for MOO3.
Xentax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2002, 09:56   #11
moomin
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Xentax
Considering Infogrames is publishing the PC version, and MacSoft the Mac version, I doubt this'll happen for MOO3.
It would certainly require unhead-of coordination!
Old May 24, 2002, 12:10   #12
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Xentax

I'm sorry I was going of a previous post that made it seem that infro was doing it all.

Does infro not have mac publishing capability?
Or did QS decide that two pubs are better than one (thats bar hopping on the corporate level)!

Old May 24, 2002, 13:42   #13
Xentax
Warlord

Quote:

I'm sorry I was going of a previous post that made it seem that infro was doing it all.

Does infro not have mac publishing capability?
Or did QS decide that two pubs are better than one (thats bar hopping on the corporate level)!

I honestly don't know whose decision it was to publish on the Mac with MacSoft -- that decision may have been made when Hasbro was doing the PC version, before Infogrames acquired Hasbro (if I'm recalling the course of events correctly, anyway).

Regardless, that's the way it currently stands to the best of my knowledge. And I'd agree with the previous post that a box put out by two publishers together would be a _very_ unlikely thing. I'm pretty sure a 2-CD set could suffice technically for a distribution that had both the PC and Mac versions, however.
Old May 24, 2002, 13:53   #14
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Xentax,

Sorry, if you don't mind me asking...where are you getting the publishing info?

Old May 24, 2002, 14:39   #15
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 03:05
Quote:
I honestly don't know whose decision it was to publish on the Mac with MacSoft
perhaps cause infogrames owns macsoft

btw, infogrames bought macsoft before buying hasbo interactive. also macsoft had done all the civ2/mac games...
MarkG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2002, 19:16   #16
moomin
King

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
Quote:
I honestly don't know whose decision it was to publish on the Mac with MacSoft
perhaps cause infogrames owns macsoft

btw, infogrames bought macsoft before buying hasbo interactive. also macsoft had done all the civ2/mac games...
Then I guess there's some hope that the unheard-of coordination might actually happen!

Well, I can dream, can't I?
Old May 28, 2002, 10:39   #17
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Hmm,

If I owned both companies like infro(Yeah right), I'd do everything that I could to put both versions in the same box. The cost savings are monumental.

Old May 28, 2002, 17:42   #18
moomin
King

Then again, you lose out on selling two copies to people who have both PC and Mac. I bought Moo2 for both platforms, since I had friends on both I wanted to play with...
Old May 29, 2002, 05:23   #19
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 12:05
The cost savings would most probably outweigh the added revenue of people buying for both platforms.
Old May 29, 2002, 06:08   #20
moomin
King

On the balance, I'd say you're right. The Mac is such a small market.
Old May 29, 2002, 11:10   #21
Xentax
Warlord

Quote:
Xentax,

Sorry, if you don't mind me asking...where are you getting the publishing info?

Well, I'd heard it from Cory Nelson before. But, I didn't realize until I saw Mark's reply that MacSoft was a division of Infogrames. Go figure.

Anyway, this page pretty much gets the point across -- http://www.wizworks.com/macsoft/?pag...r_of_orion_iii

I'd guess they're doing 2 boxes, and that's that it's easier for them to do so because of the packaging issues for a Mac application vs. a Windows one. I doubt either publishing group has experience creating a cross-platform distribution, and that it's therefore more trouble to try and do something different than it is to do 2 things they've done before.

You're certainly not going to convince a marketing-type person that it's cheaper to ship a Mac CD and a PC CD to everyone that wants one or the other, even though it's possible that that's the case if that results in only one box, manual (but 2 installation guides), etc.
Old May 29, 2002, 14:17   #22
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

© 2001 Infogrames Interactive, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Master of Orion®, Master of Orion II® and Master of Orion III® are U.S. registered trademarks. Infogrames and the Infogrames logo are trademarks of Infogrames Entertainment. S.A. Quicksilver is a registered trademark of Quicksilver Software, Inc. Windows® is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation. All other trademarks or tradenames are the property of their respective owners.

Sorry but something about this disclaimer on the bottom of the MACsoft web page struck me as funny. Windows???

Old June 28, 2002, 16:52   #23
- Groucho -
Diplomacy
Prince

I'm with Moomin in hoping for a dual release. If they ship both versions on one disk (like WCIII) I can play it on my work laptop as well as my home Mac. Combine that with 'Poly and my self-destructive quest to never be able to get any work done no matter where I am will be complete!
Old June 28, 2002, 18:12   #24
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 15:05
You shouldn't be playing on your work laptop. My brother-in-law says that if he doesn't make partner this year, he will blame it on Civ.
TCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2002, 19:24   #25
- Groucho -
Diplomacy
Prince

I've got at least two more years before I'm up for partner - so there is plenty of time for me to slack yet.
Old June 28, 2002, 23:25   #26
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 15:05
LOL...ok. Glad to hear that. You're probably more disciplined than he is. (told me that he was dying in a client meeting cause he stayed up in the hotel room playing civ...)
TCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2002, 12:54   #27
Rantz
Quicksilver

Local Time: 01:05
PC build will be released first, Mac shortly after. VERY shortly after. Development is happening simultaneously, so there should not be any significant delay.
Rantz is offline   Reply With Quote