Old May 21, 2002, 22:26   #1
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 03:06
Local Date: November 1, 2010
24 BRAND NEW MoO3 SCREENSHOTS
Digging up on the net, you can find some really nice things...
MarkG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2002, 00:17   #2
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 20:06
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Interesting shots. what's up with the mixing of languages, and what is that language? I like the "Opressometer", nice name. Unfortunately for me, I haven't been paying much attention to the game, so I don't know exactly what those screens mean
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2002, 03:53   #3
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 02:06
It's Latin, although it ain't.

In fact it _is_ Latin, but nonsense in Latin. It's an old typographic placehoder text used when you want to see how the text looks but don't have the proper text to feed into your layout yet.

Means Moo3 is noway near done yet.
Old May 22, 2002, 03:54   #4
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Jump-lane financial support seems to be in. Interesting.
Old May 22, 2002, 03:56   #5
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by moominparatrooper

In fact it _is_ Latin, but nonsense in Latin. It's an old typographic placehoder text used when you want to see how the text looks but don't have the proper text to feed into your layout yet.

I thought it looked like latin, but its been years since I studied it in highschool.

When is Moo3 supposed to be out?
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2002, 03:57   #6
moomin
King

I don't see macromanagement tools for espionage. In fact, spies seem to have as much place as leaders under the personel tab. Let's hope we don't need to hand hold each and every spy through training and missions - but it sure looks that way looking at the shot.
Old May 22, 2002, 04:12   #7
Thue
Freeciv Developer

That is a lot of placeholders...
Old May 22, 2002, 04:22   #8
moomin
King

Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel
When is Moo3 supposed to be out?
Judging by those shots, the right answer is probably later.
Old May 22, 2002, 04:32   #9
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

september-october 2002
Old May 22, 2002, 04:36   #10
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

i love this one under victory conditions

Quote:
Sole Survivor - other civilizations on the map: 165

http://apolyton.net/view.php?/moo3/s...ory-Level2.jpg
Old May 22, 2002, 04:50   #11
moomin
King

Yeah, that's quite funny. Gotta be a placeholder of some sort. I would have thought it was some kind of victory points, but there's a separate entry for that.
Old May 22, 2002, 10:49   #12
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Kinda scary folks. Looks like screen designs with no code attached.

The screens are cool though

R:PM
Old May 23, 2002, 08:54   #13
moomin
King

They are, but if these shots are any indication, they still have a long way to go. Makes you wonder how well tested that October release will be.
Old May 27, 2002, 03:05   #14
gopher
Warlord

Local Time: 21:06
Check out the leader in the upper right corner of the Leaders pic:

[DARTH VOICE]
Apology Accepted, Captain Needa
[/DARTH VOICE]

"Your plans to find love, fortune, and happiness utterly ignore the Second Law Of Thermodynamics."-Horiscope from The Onion
gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2002, 06:54   #15
moomin
King

Heh! They'd better fix that palceholder, or LucasFilms will sue their pants off.
Old May 28, 2002, 20:05   #16
Master Marcus
Prince

Nice shots, but this is mostly a refined work of already known engines. Still a good shaping for let's say....a november release.
Old May 29, 2002, 01:43   #17
Lodi
Warlord

Local Time: 19:06
Yeah, pc.ign.com said that the tentative release date was somewhere in fall 2002. But it looks like they may make that deadline hopefully.
Lodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2002, 17:39   #18
timorange
Settler

Local Time: 01:06
Quote:

You're right and wrong on this one. Yes, the text is Latin placeholder. However, many of those screens are not technically screenshots. They are the UI designer's guides for the programmers. It isn't her responsibility to find every bit of correct text and place it into the UI guide. Hence, the screens may not have all the proper text in them -- just stylized placeholder text to show the programmers what everything's supposed to look like.

Infogrames releases these as screenshots and they really are not. They are not grabbed from in-game play. They are photoshop documents from the artist meant for internal use.

So, trying to assume the status of MOO3's completion based upon seeing these layouts is probably not the best thing to do.
timorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2002, 17:42   #19
Carver
Prince

Local Time: 19:06
So far, the user interface looks A+, good presentation and easy to use. I'm still hopefull for MOO3 to be the best strategy game of all time.
Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2002, 13:56   #20
Xentax
Warlord

Quote:
So, trying to assume the status of MOO3's completion based upon seeing these layouts is probably not the best thing to do.
I'd like to chime in my agreement here. There's no telling how long ago these screens were grabbed -- 2 weeks or more before E3 would be a perfectly valid guess, for example, but even earlier wouldn't be unreasonable, either.

And as you said, they're layout demonstrators for the UI programmers, not screenshots from within the game itself. So how far along the game engine is, in terms of integrating with the revised UI, is not a question you can answer based on these screenshots (or any others, for that matter).

Personally, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a fall '02 release -- meaning Octoberish. The landmark I'm still waiting for is beta testing; IMHO, they can't get this thing out the door right with anything less than 3 months of beta testing, and since beta testing hasn't started yet, my "hopeful" side says it's still 3+ months away until MOO3 goes gold. If that testing doesn't start until September, we'll be looking at either a Christmas++ release or a poor/rushed one a la Civ3.

Remember, all that is just IMHO; I'm roughly as in the dark as anyone else who doesn't work for QSI or Infogrames at this point.
Xentax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2002, 13:58   #21
moomin
King

Xen, yes, but you hang a lot over at Delphi, don't ya? Surely there are better rumors than that over there?
Old May 31, 2002, 14:04   #22
Xentax
Warlord

Quote:
Xen, yes, but you hang a lot over at Delphi, don't ya? Surely there are better rumors than that over there?
Not really -- there hasn't been any official information released lately that hasn't been echoed over here, that I can think of at least.

Game-related rumors ought to kick up any day now, I'd think, what with E3 having just come and gone; and/or some more official information now that E3 is behind them.

I wish there was more to say; the official forum could certainly benefit from something more "on-topic" to talk about
Old May 31, 2002, 14:07   #23
moomin
King

Well, we appreciate you being here and sharing. Most of us can't really be bothered to check out the chaos that is Delphi. If something juicy comes up, you'll be sure to tell, right?
Old May 31, 2002, 18:04   #24
Stormhound
Prince

Since the Delphi board is going byebye (IG has moved things to their corporate boards), it doesn't really matter much now whether anyone wants to navigate Delphi or not.

Former member, MOO3 Road Kill...er, Crew
Stormhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2002, 21:04   #25
Xentax
Warlord

Quote:
Well, we appreciate you being here and sharing. Most of us can't really be bothered to check out the chaos that is Delphi. If something juicy comes up, you'll be sure to tell, right?
As Stormhound said, the official forums are now on IG's website, not Delphi, but your point remains the same.

I don't visit this forum quite "every day", more like every other day or so; but if any official information hasn't made it over here by the time I check, I'll be sure to post it. I see no reason to leave people in the dark just because they prefer this forum over the official ones, since both seem to have their merits.
Old June 1, 2002, 05:37   #26
moomin
King

Xentax, thank you! I appreciate the level-headedness and calmness of your response, btw. I don't really understand how you could ever stand Delphi
Old June 1, 2002, 16:04   #27
Master Marcus
Prince

Quote:
I don't really understand how you could ever stand Delphi
Yeah, you can find everything publicly said about MoO3 in there, but the ways to find a particular info are...overwhelming to say the least.
Old June 2, 2002, 08:55   #28
moomin
King

The Delphi boards were so chaotic.

Anyone who usually hangs here checked out the new official boards yet?
Old June 2, 2002, 13:13   #29
Xentax
Warlord

Quote:
The Delphi boards were so chaotic.

Anyone who usually hangs here checked out the new official boards yet?
The new forums are still in the "moving in" phase, if you will, as far as I can tell. I suspect they'll be as "lively" as ever once everyone's settled in.

The overall feeling seems to be strongly positive though -- not much to complain about except the color scheme. If others haven't noticed, they're running the same forum engine that these fine forums are, so anyone who's here who wants to check out the "new" official forum should feel right at home.

As to how I stay level-headed, well -- between 2+ years at a phone helpdesk and just a general track record of "staying cool under fire", it's gotten pretty hard to get me riled up. It comes in handy.
Old July 2, 2002, 18:59   #30
jsw363
Prince

Local Time: 17:06
Quote:

Weird Latin. Some of the words aren't even in Latin and the grammar is kind of funny too. I wonder where they got it from...
jsw363 is offline   Reply With Quote